LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Rash ( birthmark- like ) on back of head

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rash ( birthmark- like ) on back of head
KENNEDY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9628

Icon 5 posted      Profile for KENNEDY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just run across something that has me puzzeled, maybe someone else has seen or heard of this.
On the back of my husbands head, ( the base of his skull ), is a red blotchy patch.

and I did'nt noticed it until approx. a year ago, His hair was thinning on top so he just shaved his head. so until then it wasn't noticeable,he didn't know anything about it.

It looks like a birthmark, his mother said he didn't have it when he was little and it never goes away.
I tried to do a search here on lymenet, but I'm not sure how to word it that it knows what to look for. Any thoughts on this strange rash?
Thanks.

Posts: 158 | From PA. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you compared your husband's mark to the page of rashes at the Canadian Lyme Foundation?

http://www.canlyme.com/rash.html

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
try looking up stork bites and port wine stain
Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KENNEDY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KENNEDY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Carol and Mjbucuk for your replies.

The reason I'm asking is I'm not sure how I found out about the new lyme site called,

Lyme Community Forum. I guess it was mentioned on here, and that's how I found out about it

but anyway I did post there once about the CD57 TEST, and so I check in there from time to time,

and here this morning when I checked in, was this post from someone who goes by Paul and he posted the Question below:

Do you have a rash on the lower back of your head?
Paul
Forum Member

I and several people I know with Lyme have a rash on the lower back of the head. Do you or people you know with Lyme have a reddish rash, much like a birthmark in this location?

I feel that if many with Lyme have this, it could be used in diagnosis.

Any other input you have on this would be helpful.

Thanks,
Paul
quote:

So, I thought I'd check on Lymenet, it seems like if this rash or whatever it is, is Lyme related I would find something here.

I did look at those pictures you suggested. Rodger's rash is the color of the very first picture. kinda purple/red.

He never knew it was there until I said something.

If anyone else has it and you have hair you would never know it was there.

Anyway I just thought I'd ask.I'll check on stork bites and port wine stain

to see if it's something that shows up later in life. But I thought for sure it was a birthmark, but his mom said no.

Posts: 158 | From PA. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjbucuk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 843

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjbucuk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How long has he had the mark? I didn't think bulls eye rashes last for a long time... eventually they fade.... also I thought they might expand over time.... yep, doing some reading and research is your best bet. Also may want to take a photo of the mark.
Posts: 758 | From now TX | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kennedy,
I seem to remember reading a thread at some time about having rashes on the back of necks and in the hairline.

I have one that feels bumpy. I can't see it so don't know if it gets red or not. Anyway, if I perspire, at all, it burns and then itches. The itching wakes me up at night, wanting to rip the back of my head off. [Roll Eyes]

Oh wait, I found it, here it is: http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=044064

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempe
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5000

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tempe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this also. The tick bite that originally made me sick was at the nape of my neck. I had a bullseye rash there that went away, but then when I'd tell ducks about it, they'd look at this red blotch on the back of my head & tell me it was a birthmark and not believe I ever had a bullseye rash there.

There actually are 3 blotches in a row, going from the nape up to the crown of my head.

They have never gone away. Both my parents said I did not have it when I was small. I had blond hair as a child & they'd have seen it.

When I go on & off abx, I feel pain there every time.

Once when I searched the internet, I found an article that said that red birthmark-type blotches on the back of the head were associated with neurologic disease that became progressively worse. I've tried to use words from the preceding sentence to pull this up again, but have not been able to find it.

While most neurologists would not know about lyme, if your husband has a neurologist, you might at least ask about these red blotches being associated with neurologic disease.

Tempe

Posts: 172 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have one of these marks at the nape of my neck, too - just above the hairline. It's pretty big.

I have no idea how long it has been there. I didn't know I had it until I chopped my hair off back in the early 90s, and by then, I know I already had Lyme.

It makes me wonder how many of us might have this.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KENNEDY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KENNEDY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Mjbucuk said
How long has he had the mark? I didn't think bulls eye rashes last for a long time... eventually they fade.... also I thought they might expand over time.... yep, doing some reading and research is your best bet. Also may want to take a photo of the mark.
quote:

I think this Feb. will be 2 years. I noticed it as soon as he shaved his head so I have no idea how long he might have had it.

And yeah, Bulls-eye rashes come and go but I never read anywhere that someone had one constantly,

but it just seems weird when I read that post because it sounds exactly like his rash / mark, or what ever it is.

But His Mom and I were talking and it seems like he never feels well. Just about every holiday for the last 3 years he hasn't felt good.

It wasn't until this June when I started getting symptoms and thank goodness,

if I had to get this horrid stuff at least I got the Bulls-eye rash or I don't need to tell you where we'd right now,

but that's when we made the connection as to what's wrong with him.

Because I knew if I had Lyme Disease, he had Lyme. And then things started making sense as to why he never feels good.

His job is so demanding. He gets up at 2:30 every morning and doesn't get home until 4:45 in the evening, works alot of Saturdays,

so of course he is tired alot and we never saw any rash,

and he catches all the colds and flu that's passed around work so if he had flu symptoms from the lyme we just figured it was something going around in the plant.

And True, I just read that Thread you told me about it's from Greanpea back on MAY 21, 06. It seems to be too much of a coincidence, doesn't it? But I have enough problems, I'm not shaving my head to see if I have one. Although there are times when I want to.
Thanks everybody. It may be something to it. It's been talked about on here before and now on another forum.

Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is a common way to tell if you have Lyme according to a LLMD. I've seen him specifically look for this rash and have heard him talk about it on several ocassions.

It can become more pronounced during a herx or flare.

It's not a birth mark. Too many of us have it... and we didn't have it at birth... only after getting Lyme.

Mine actually gets itchy and sometimes sore/pain when I flare.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correction...

You COULD have it if you were born with Lyme. I didn't mean to rule out that possibility.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by KENNEDY:
And True, I just read that Thread you told me about it's from Greanpea back on MAY 21, 06. It seems to be too much of a coincidence, doesn't it? But I have enough problems, I'm not shaving my head to see if I have one. Although there are times when I want to.

HA! I was thinking the same thing about shaving my head when I posted, right down to thinking there are times I want to.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kennedy,
If your husband is catching every cold and flu that circulates at work, he should be doing some things to strengthen his immune system.

Very important: get enough sleep.

Very important: good nutrition.

There are a bunch of supplements that strengthen the immune system, which are the white cells in the blood that target and ingest foreign bacteria and viruses.

Cat's claw and mushrooms (cordyceps, turkey tail, etc.) are two things that come to mind.

You should read Dr. B's guidelines for treating Lyme, as they have lots of suggestions for supplements.
http://www.ilads.org/guidelines.html

This product can knock down flu and viral infections:
Elderberry extract
http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductsList.aspx?c=Herbs&cid=elderberry

Rhodiola can increase strength and endurance.
Read the review:
The Rhodiola Revolution
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1579549241/

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KENNEDY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9628

Thanks TC,True and Carol,
Actually Carol, we are working on that about his immune system, When his tests came back in Aug.06,

his CD-57 was 64, and initially I thought that was really bad because mine was 391,

but there was a thread on here not long ago that was asked about "how low is your CD-57",

and then his didn't seem so bad, because some people that posted were even in the single digits. So then I started to worry about mine because it's really high.

Our first LLMD that just retired this past Oct.,wnen we had our last visit,

we did get a bottle of immunity,proprietary 14 mushroom complex, brand name NIKKEN from him .

Also at the time we ordered Nutra Medix Samento TOA-FREE.

Is it safe to take both of them at the same time? He's only been taking the Mushroom complex.

Mo
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my daughter had a pronounced rash there that would fluctuate in the depth of color as TC says with treatment and herxes, ect.

she did not have it at birth, but developed it sometime after she was infected via breastmilk.

i agree if it could be a proven diagnostic tool, that would be helpful.

mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement