LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Over half of my hair is gone - what could I have?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Over half of my hair is gone - what could I have?
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm up late again. Anyway, I used to have super thick hair. In fact, if I got a perm, my hair was 'bigger' than I was. Not anymore.

I tested positive only for Lyme, none of the coinfections yet. Though I felt the Rocephin helped my hair loss and other symptoms initially, we had to stop them for 3 weeks because my liver enzymes shot up, and now I'm as bad as I was before the Rocephin.

I'm trying to figure out if maybe something else is going on, and if so what. Or if maybe the Lyme got smart to Rocephin, and we should be switching antibiotics. Or am I just herxing? I know if I am going to respond to a medication, I usually feel better right away - at least a little.

I can't even count how many times I've clogged my drain or pulled my own hair out of my food. I find it in the sink, in the fridge, pretty much anywhere I go. I'm even afraid to brush it - 8 hairs from the same follicle come out at once. If I lose any more hair, I'm bordering on bald spots here.

On top of this, every time I have diarrhea my body does not seem to absorb oils. So this means my hair gets no oil either. So when I wash it, I often have to put olive oil on my hair because I react to the wheat or soy in conditioners.

I've been to dermatologists for this before I knew I had Lyme. Usually they handed me a script for dandruff shampoo, even though I never saw a flake.

My doc started me on Diflucan, but even that doesn't seem to be helping this time. My hunch is the Lyme got smart to Rocephin, but that my doc won't try anything different by IV until I've used my 90 bags, and I'm not even close.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think hair loss is part of this disease. I was losing mine when I didn't even know I had this condition...
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I notice that I lose some hair during a die-off (herx) when my scalp gets itchy and painful. I try to drink a lot of water and work with other detoxing methods as much as possible. I notice this is lessoning over time as I progress.

Also... though this does not solve the oil digestibility issue, I do put some coconut oil in my hair from time to time. It might be nicer than olive oil.

Maybe someone else who has taking or is taking your meds will have some other ideas, too.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. Sometimes I am amazed by the timing of posts.

I too have always had super thick hair. I always thought I could win the guiness book of world records for thickness.

I've had lyme at least since 1995 though pretty much in remission until 2005. I have not noticed an abnormal amount of hair in my sink, pillow or brush, but I had noticed for some time now that my hair was laying flatter which was a good thing. Then this weekend, I realized I could see my scalp through the top of my hair. Now that I am checking, I realize my hair is alot thinner all over. Yikes!!

I sure hope someone will post with an answer as to why. I'm not treating with allopathic meds so it isn't that.

I did recently stop having my hair colored professionally and began using a "natural" dye. I'm going to stop that too and I guess for awhile I will be gray. I'm scared of the chemicals in the regular dye.

I sure hope our hair comes back.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zing
Member # 7124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too have have lost a lot of hair , it was always so pretty ,now it is so thin and I continue too lose it .
Posts: 46 | From south/central Pa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
heiwalove
Member # 6467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for heiwalove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i lost tons of hair with lyme too.

also, just 'cuz you test negative for coinfections, that doesn't mean you're not infected. much like lyme, babesia/bartonella/etc. are clinical diagnoses.

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/violinexplosion

Posts: 1848 | From seattle, wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lioness
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lioness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always had fine hair, but I had a good amount of it. Last summer it started falling out in clumps!

It was every where. I was shedding more hair than both my cats together. If I put my hands in my hair, I pulled out a handful!

It was in food, clumped in the tub, on the shower walls, the couches, chairs, my clothes. I would find piles of it on the floor! When I took clothes from the dryer, there would be clumps there too!!

Then, people started to ask if I was going bald!! [Frown]
I am only 33 and there is no baldness in my family.

At the time, I was taking Biaxin and Plaquenil. A few other things too. Not sure if it was the meds or the Herxing causing it.

I am in between meds right now, and not losing as much hair. But still losing more than I used to.

But I still don't know what it was, because I am off the meds and not herxing like I was. I am definitely going to ask my new LLMD when I see them next month.

I have not been tested for coinfections yet, so I am not sure if that could be part of it either.

Posts: 240 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was losing a lot of hair before I was dx with Lyme, and once I started taking abx, it got worse. I had to call the plumber to snake the shower drain several times during the worst of it.

After being on about about 7 months, I noticed that the hair loss had lessened. It now seems to happen only when I'm herxing, and it's never as bad as it was in the beginning.

I actually think it's a symptom of the disease.

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unbelieveable on the timing of posts. It surely does prove that we are all living with the same disease! [Eek!]

My hairdresser noticed it before I did. And just last night, I told my husband how upset I am that my hair is getting thinner and thinner.

He said he hasn't noticed it, but I sure do!

Bless us all and our follicles! [Smile]

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just found out I have low thyroid. Last few months I was "shedding" as well as bloated. Water weight. Pain dr. thought I should have full tyroid panel blood test, since face & arms were/are not "swollen".

Since on thyroid meds.(20 days) noticed less shedding.

You never know how lyme can affect us. Been on lyme treatment since 9/03. Never had thyroid troubles, and past thyroid blood work (just the standard) was always normal.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrG
Member # 10254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MrG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some years back I lost all the hair on my legs...I mean all of it. How embarasing. I never can wear shorts, I look too ridiculous. It has come back alittle but not much.

Has anybody else lose hair on their legs?

Pat Sr

--------------------
Pat Sr

Posts: 63 | From Toms River,NJ | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brene
Member # 10180

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brene   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've also been losing leg hairs too. Oddly it's the same exact area on both legs. Also been losing tons of scalp hair and even my eyelashes and eyebrows are thinning. Started seeing a LLMD last month and just got blood drawn today from MD Labs and going for an MRI soon so hopefully I can figure out what the heck is wrong. God it sucks being sick! [rant]

--------------------
--------------------
http://www.brenewilson.com

Posts: 7 | From Delaware | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesucks
Member # 10575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing...i was just gonna write about this. I had noticed alot of single hairs falling out....one even ended up on the top of a cake i made for thanksgiving..and no one wanted to eat it naturally. LOL
This morning i noticed a lil bald spot on the front corner. Let me tell you....i have more hair on this head than anyone ive ever met. i have to straighten it for it to calm down. So for me to have a bald spot was totally insane.
But yes, it does provide more proof that we are on the right track with our diagnosis.

Posts: 56 | From bayarea | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Has anybody else lose hair on their legs?
Yes, both underarm and leg hair did not grow for years. I'm sure lyme and co-infections are behind it. Edema seems to interfere with hair growth. Since I started taking vit D (my tests showed very low amounts), my underarm hair is growing again. At least I have to shave every few weeks now whereas before, never had to shave. Still, no leg hair.

As far as head hair loss, diabetes and thyroid can both cause this as can syphilis, lupus, addisons, some medications, stress and probably many other illnesses. Diabetes can cause hair to fall out big time. I'm not a doctor but anyone with lyme who has seriously thinning hair should at least be checked for thyroid, diabetes and addisons. Be sure to mention the hair thinning to your LLMD.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigmamma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigmamma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
possible causes of the hair loss related to lyme are hypoperfusion to the brain and scalp, hormone problems, and even Diflucan. Yes, do a past search and you find that lots that take Diflucan have had this issue.

I have lost a lot of my hair with Lyme and diflucan but I don't care anymore. I would rather be bald and healthy than sick with a full head of hair.

--------------------
 - Some day, this mamma's gonna dance!  -

Posts: 199 | From here | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second the idea of thyroid issues as possibly contributing to this. Thyroid disease on its own can cause hair loss. Lyme can cause hair loss. And many people with Lyme develop thyroid diseases - double whammy.

So it's worth checking out your thyroid. I had thyroid disease years before Lyme and Lyme has made thyroid problems much worse.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor was already requesting labwork to test my thyroid again. My blood pressure has been dropping and he suspects my thyroid. The thinning hair just adds to his suspicion.

When he tested me in April, it was normal. Hopefully, I will get the labwork done this week.

I agree with bigmamma that I would rather be bald and well then sick with hair. My hair was always way too thick and like Lymesucks, I had to use lots of products and an iron to straighten it.

There are great wigs out there and I won't hesitate to purchase one or maybe more. Heck, I can have short hair one day, long hair the next. Be blond this week and brunette the next.

That ain't a bad thing! I'm just surprised to learn of this effect of the disease. How is it I have not read about it here before?

Luvs

--------------------

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PLEASE CHECK YOU THYROID!
Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My advice would be - try to get your hormones balanced and make certain that you have no metal toxicity and no dental infections. The metals attach to the ligand sites of the hormone producing cells! I lost my underarm hair years ago, on legs, long before I was ever bit by the tick. This is a multi-factorial disease --- it has more than one cause.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grace1
Member # 10347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grace1   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i lost half my hair too. but even then people commented how thick my hair was, because it's normally super thick. every week my floor would be a rat's nest. it's gotten better after the ceftriaxone.
Posts: 98 | From San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had drain clogging hair loss early on...it was my thyroid. Treatment has doubled my energy.

Hair loss on legs can be a sign of adrenal fatigue, which often goes hand in hand with hypothyroid. www.drrand.com for more info.

If you have both problems, treating just the thyroid can make the adrenals worse. I found this out the hard way.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Last night I noticed a red rash in my scalp in the areas where the hair is thinning. Anyone else notice that?

--------------------

clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luvs,

Same thing with me. But my rash appeared only after I started taking remedies. So far, the hair loss is minor (knock on wood).

I do know that hormones play a part, too.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hair fell out while on Rocephin. It grew back after I switched meds.
Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Claire

Remedies as in homeopathic? I haven't taken any of those for over one year. I did switch to a natural hair dye and wonder if I am having an allergic reaction to some ingredient in it.

I would love for this whole silly mess to really be hormonal. I'm the right age and yippie! my current doctor does bio-identical homones. He has not approached me about it and we have worked together since April. I think he did not because my bloodwork was normal. But just this week he has ordered bloodwork again as he suspects my thyroid is running down.

Hormones are a high suspect in RA although I have never read if anyone actually treats RA with hormones. Wouldn't it be lovely if just adjusting my hormones would correct all the pain?

Luvs

PS: Hair loss too.

--------------------

susan2health
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susan2health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, lots of hair loss--getting worse.

I'm on Armour Thyroid and SR T3, but temp still drops to 96's when under stress or blood sugar is low.

I look like I have a white star just above my bangs where the hair is so thin, that the scalp shows through.

Hair loss is sad, but brain loss is worse.

I'm changing from natural adrenal extracts back to cortef to see if I can prop up adrenals better, and thus thyroid.

Posts: 233 | From United States | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

My hair started falling out when I ran out
of Biaxian and Art for about a month-
About half my hair fell out and it was
truning gray-big time--

I got more biaxian and Art and my hair
stopped falling out and the gray stopped also-
in about a week or so--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Luvs,

The homeopathics played a small part, but mostly it has been from the salt/c. I think it may be part of a herx reaction? It is kind of hard to say for sure. But that is my intuition. Because it seems to die down when I lesson the salt etc. But note that others feel that it could be a symptom of LD itself.

If you are over 40, it would be very good to make sure the hormones are balanced. Not sure if this would help RA, though. Just don't have any personal experience to draw from. I do know that RA is cited often here as a symptom of lyme. But it would be nice if it helped. The more aspects of our health we bring in balance the better, I think.

Claire

healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yanno? Sometimes I wonder how my eyes even open in the morning.

I have lost hair, my thyroid pretty much is shot down (only 1/2 now and the other has nodules), I take levothryoid daily and my bloodtest results come back, they tell me my levels are fine. They always showed fine, even before my surgery. [Roll Eyes]

When they thought I had CFS, my results showed my adrenals were pretty much burnt out. I've gained 50 pounds and for the last two weeks, I've been battling shingles.

My pain keeps moving but it's always something.....I was thrilled when I finally got the diagnosis of lyme. I really thought it was something that could be cured. [loco]

Now, after months of IV and a bad spect scan which basically says my brain is affected as well as my body, I want to just give up.

I won't but...........WOW! SO SORRY FOR THE THREADJACK. I didn't realize how much I needed to vent. [Frown]

I think I'll just shut up now. Whining helps no one. [bonk]

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sue vG
Member # 3143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sue vG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My hair thinning problem has been due to my thyroid.

According to my LLMD, many lymies suffer from autoimmune thyroiditis, which has the same net result as being hypothyroid, including hair loss.

Thyroid supplementation has resolved a host of problems, including about 70% of the hair thinning for me.

Posts: 1307 | From TX | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imanurse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imanurse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by luvs2ride:
Last night I noticed a red rash in my scalp in the areas where the hair is thinning. Anyone else notice that?

Could be ringworm if it is just one area only and not generalized. Look up tinea capitus for pictures.

Editing: OK I just re-read your other posts above and see that you said it was thinning all over. Not likely to be ringworm but I am leaving this post so that others know this is a possible cause of hair loss also. [Wink]

--------------------
**Eat Chocolate**

Posts: 942 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Imanurse

Ringworm would not be out of the realms of possibilities for me. I have dogs, horses and used to be a dog groomer, so plenty of exposure.

However, this was pretty much everywhere on my scalp that I could see. I soaked my head with coconut oil which is supposed to be very good for skin rashes. I slept with it and washed it out the next morning. All the redness and rash were gone and so far have not returned.

At the same time, I developed a rash between my eyebrows and down the right side of my nose which was scaly and slightly swollen. The coconut oil did not seem to help this and I purchased a natural cortizone alternative which worked really well.

I researched sudden hair loss and was frightened to read about Lupus. This skin flare may very well have started after I went horseback riding for 2 hrs on Saturday. By Saturday evening, joint pain started to flare. When I woke up Sunday, I was hurting all over like I have not hurt in a long, long time. I took 2 Advil and stayed in bed most of the day. It was Monday when I discovered the thinning hair and red scalp. The sun can cause this reaction in people with Lupus.

My doctor had already ordered a new blood panel because he suspects my thyroid is low and my adrenals are shot. I have high energy and don't feel I fit the adrenal fatigue syndrome at all, but he thinks differently. The hair loss just heightens his suspicions. I'm sure you know thyroid is a big cause of hair loss.

Frankly, if it is a toss up between thyroid or Lupus, please God let it be thyroid.

Today is Friday and I am completely back to normal. I should test the sun/lupus theory tomorrow by riding again with nothing on my head and face, but frankly, I'm really scared of Lupus. They say the sun is actually causing cell death and the rash is the immune system's response. I may go out looking like a terrorist with my head and face wrapped up in a turbin.

I personally know one person who had Lyme, then RA then Lupus. Her entire treatment has been with abx and immunosuppressant drugs. Mine has mostly been alternative. Many people on the RA website struggle with Lupus as well.

No one else in my family has ever had Lupus.

I sure hope none of us here who are losing our hair is losing it because of Lupus. Be aware though. One of the suspected causes of Lupus is bacterial infection.

Luvs

--------------------

Cassie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2106

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Cassie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone,

I had the same problem with hair loss, not so much head hair but other unmentional areas went bald. My thyroid level showed normal however doc put me on Levothyroxine Sodium 0.075MG once a day and the hair grew back. [Cool]

Talk to you later Cassie

--------------------
 -

Posts: 564 | From Toronto Ontario Canada | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everybody. My hairdresser was the first to notice the hair loss years ago. I thought it was just me - but she confirmed it. It stopped falling out for awhile until all hell broke loose maybe 2-3 years ago.

I can have like 8 hairs fall from one follicle at one time. I even had my family doc check a sample. I don't think he did because he claimed it was 'breakage', but contradicted himself when he called it 'normal hair shedding'.

I notice some growing back at my temples, but I can't see the top of my head to be able to say whether it's growing back there. I think there's a hormonal component and that it has shut off my remaining ovary from the brain, though they tell me it is now working and I am not in menopause. Could vasculitis cause this? I have this network of blood vessels all over the left side of my chest, but not the right.

I waited a good 8 months to color my hair, and boy were the greys popping up this summer. Will my hair ever get color again?

I want to get a perm again to feel like I have more hair since it had always been so thick, but I fear the chemicals. I'm even letting my bangs grow and doing the female version of the 'comb over'.

I've had my thyroid checked. If anything, it leans towards hyperactive, though still within range. One doctor even checked to see if I had antibodies to my thyroid - I had antibodies against striatal muscle (lungs, heart etc...) - not thyroid though.

Will my hair ever be thick again? Will my hair ever get color again? Doctors blame this on 'normal aging', but it isn't too normal for an ovary to freak out at 41 (more likely 39). Nor is it normal to watch yourself age 15 years in 2 or 3. It's distressing, and again, hair loss was one of my first symptoms.

I did read that sesame seeds and tahini stop hair loss. I just started these, so I don't know if I'll get results.

By the way, Diflucan increased my hair loss this time. In the past it used to help.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Good Grief, tailz,

Don't you just love having an illness that can have such different reactions to so many things.

We have damaged immune systems and our bodies can react in any number of ways.

It finally hit me that I am on minocycline and even though it is very low dose, I have been on it for 9 mths now and may very well be having drug induced sensitivity to the sun causing my rash.

The hair loss could be thyroid. By the way, hyperthyroid will cause hair loss just as much as hypothyroid. (so I've read) I'm waiting on the results of my bloodwork. I sure hope my thyroid is clearly out of whack.

I just don't need one more AI illness to deal with. BTW, many people with RA do seem to develop Lupus at some point. sigh.....

Luvs

--------------------

clairenotes
Member # 10392

Update: In the last few days rash has gone down considerably. When the rash is lessons, the hair loss seems to lesson, in my case.

The only thing I did differently besides my other protocol was that I used Farah's essential oil. It can be rubbed into the scalp.

Not sure if this will work for everyone, because we each have similar but different set of symptoms with LD. But it may hold some promise.

Claire

TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Will my hair ever get color again?
This source say's that folic acid or biotin deficiency can cause premature greying. http://www.alternative-doctor.com/nutrition/needs.htm

I've also read that lack of b-12 and copper could be the cause for some. I think it's possible that a lack of certain nutritients are involved in premature greying.

There is also supposedly a genetic component.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

I just found this from an LLMD, Dr. C.

"Biotin helps in ATP (energy) production and in growing healthy hair, skin and nails. Fortunately, it is rarely deficient. If biotin is low it causes depression, nervous system abnormalities, premature gray hair and hair loss, and also dry, scaly, wrinkled skin."

Here is the whole article for those that are interested:
Thiamin, or vitamin B1 is very commonly deficient. It helps the body make nerve transmitters (neurotransmitters) and ATP for energy. B1 enhances muscle function and especially the heart muscle. Low levels of thiamin reduce heart function (congestive heart failure and cardiomyopathy) and also cause fatigue and reduced endurance. Lack of thiamin decreases learning capacity and causes age-related brain decline and Alzheimer's dementia.

Riboflavin, or vitamin B2, has a low likelihood of being deficient. It helps metabolism, ATP (energy) production, growth, and reproduction. It has antioxidant properties, aids glutathione regeneration and activates vitamin B6. Deficiency of B2 causes poor iron absorption and anemia, decreased protection from free radicals, cataracts, impaired thyroid function, B6 deficiency, fatigue, reduced endurance and elevated homocysteine with an increased risk of hardening of the arteries (atherosclerosis) and coronary (heart) artery disease such as heart attacks.

Niacin, or vitamin B3, is so commonly low that up to 33% of Americans are deficient. It helps energy production, metabolism, lowers levels of cholesterol and triglycerides (fats) and lessens anxiety. If deficient, a lack of B3 may cause cracking and scaling of skin, digestive problems, confusion, anxiety, fatigue and less endurance.

Pyroxidine, or vitamin B6, helps in amino acid metabolism (proteins) and is an enzyme co-factor that helps enzymes work better. It is very commonly deficient. Lack of B6 may cause reduced serotonin (neurotransmitter) production with depression and sleep disturbances, skin abnormalities, increased homocysteine with artery and heart diseases and a high nerve and hormone response to low blood sugar.

Cobalimin, or vitamin B12, helps the growth and maturing of red blood cells and immune cells, production of myelin (a substance that covers nerves), function of the nerves and in making melatonin, which is a hormone that helps with sleep. B12 is very commonly deficient. Lack of B12 causes anemia (pernicious anemia), reduced immune system function, mental deterioration, sleep disorders with lowered melatonin levels, precancerous changes of mucosal surfaces (mucous membranes line our nose, sinuses, mouth, throat, bronchial tubes, stomach, intestines, colon and urinary system), increased homocysteine with strokes and reduced arterial circulation (low blood flow) and fatigue with less endurance.

Pantothenate, or pantothenic acid, helps with metabolism (by aiding in the production of acetylcholine, phospholipids, porphrin and steroid hormones), detoxification of alcohol, reduces stress and improves adrenal gland function, and aids in wound healing and keeping skin healthy. Pantothenate is commonly deficient and causes reduced tolerance of stress, poor wound healing, skin problems and reduced endurance with fatigue.

Biotin helps in ATP (energy) production and in growing healthy hair, skin and nails. Fortunately, it is rarely deficient. If biotin is low it causes depression, nervous system abnormalities, premature gray hair and hair loss, and also dry, scaly, wrinkled skin.

Folate, or folic acid, helps in the production of genes (genetic material or DNA and RNA) and aids in cell division and in the maturing of red blood cells and immune system cells, protects against cell changes that may lead to cancer and helps to break down homocysteine which causes cholesterol to deposit in arteries even with a normal cholesterol level. Folate is very commonly deficient and may cause changes that could lead to cancers of the cervix and mucosal surfaces, anemia, lessened immune function, increased homocysteine with heart attacks and strokes, fatigue, insomnia and premature hair loss.

Ergocalciferol, or vitamin D, helps as the primary regulator of calcium balance, development of the skeleton and adequate blood levels of insulin. Vitamin D is commonly deficient and may cause osteoporosis (loss of calcium from bones), decreased absorption of calcium from the intestines and high parathyroid hormone levels.

Tocopherol, or vitamin E, helps as a potent antioxicant, protects cell membranes, prevents free radical damage, enhances immune function, protects against heart and blood vessel diseases, cataracts and macular (a part of the retina in the back of the eye) degeneration. Vitamin E is commonly deficient and may cause dry skin, dull dry hair, red blood cell ruptures, anemia, easy bruising, PMS (premenstrual syndrome) with hot flashes, eczema and psoriasis, cataracts, an enlarged prostate (benign prostatic hypertrophy or BPH), poor wound healing, muscle weakness and sterility.

Magnesium helps as the main regulator of calcium flow in the body, ATP (energy) production, is a factor in over 300 chemical or enzyme reactions in the cells of the body, and is vital for the normal function of nerves and muscles. Deficiencies of magnesium are extremely common and cause muscle weakness with tremors and leg cramps, irregular heart rhythms, heart muscle spasms with heart attacks, insomnia, fatigue, anxiety, depression, confusion and more allergy problems.

Selenium helps as a cofactor for the enzyme glutathione peroxidase (glutathione is the final common pathway for all antioxidants), has anti-viral activity, increases immune function, activates thyroid hormones and prevents oxidation of fats. Antioxidants prevent oxidation of fats. Oxidized fats cause heart and blood vessel diseases. Selenium deficiencies are common and cause destructive changes in the heart and pancreas, sore muscles, increased breakage of red blood cells and a weakened immune system.

Zinc helps genetic material (DNA, RNA), production of proteins, division of cells, expression of genes (effects of DNA), repair of DNA, wound healing and synthesis of the main thyroid hormone that controls metabolism and is known as T3 or triiodothyronine. Marginal deficiencies of zinc are very common and cause impaired immune function, poor wound healing, depression, impaired senses of smell and taste, problems with skin, hair and nails, joint pain, fatigue and reduced endurance.

Antioxidants such as beta carotene, vitamin C and E, and selenium help neutralize free radicals which lead to oxidation and disease, prevent DNA (gene) damage with mutations (leads to cancer), prevents oxidation of fats (cardiovascular diseases) which lessens the chances of strokes and heart attacks. Deficiencies of antioxidants are very common and cause an overload of free radicals and disease-causing oxidation, increased risk of blood vessel and heart and brain diseases, increased risk of cancer, cataracts, degeneration of part of the retina (macula) which leads to poor eyesight and blindness, and skin wrinkles.

Ubiquinone, or coenzyme-Q10 (co-Q10), helps produce ATP and energy, has antioxidant properties, prevents oxidation of LDL (bad) cholesterol, reduces risk of blood vessel disease (atherosclerosis) and heart diseases (heart attacks, heart failure, etc.) and strokes. Co-Q10 deficiency is common and causes congestive heart failure (CHF), high blood pressure (hypertension), heart chest pain (angina), prolapse of the mitral valve in the heart, stroke, heart rhythm abnormalities, enlarged poorly contracting heart (cardiomyopathies), lack of energy, gum inflammation in the mouth (gingivitis) and generalized weakening of the immune system.

Alpha lipoic acid helps improve blood flow to nerves in the body, decrease oxidation of fats (lipids), increase glutathione (antioxidant) levels in the brain, increase the sensitivity of cells in the body to insulin, enhance glucose (sugar) transport and energy production. Deficiencies of alpha lipoic acid are common and cause diabetic neuropathy (numbness and pain due to diabetes damaging nerves), reduced muscle mass (smaller muscles), increased risk of blood vessel diseases and heart attacks and strokes, Alzheimer's dementia, failure to thrive (poor health and growth), brain atrophy (brain shrinks in size) and increased lactic acid production.

Carnitine helps regulate the production of energy for the heart to function, facilitate fat transport through cell membranes for energy production, oxidizes amino acids (they make proteins) for energy production (this is good oxidation), and metabolize ketones which are a byproduct resulting from normal metabolism. Fortunately there is a low level of carnitine deficiency but if low it causes elevated lipids (cholesterol and triglycerides), abnormal liver function, muscle weakness, reduced energy and impaired glucose (blood sugar) control.

N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) and glutathione (GSH) help because NAC is the primary building block for GSH. They help lower levels of homocysteine (cholesterol deposits in arteries) and lipoprotein(a) or Lp(a) which is a dangerous form of fat, heal the lungs of free radical damage (bad oxidation) and lung inflammation, decrease muscle fatigue, aid liver detoxification, boost immunity and protect against free radical damage and heavy metal toxicity. Deficiencies of N-acetyl cysteine and glutathione are common and cause free radical overload (bad oxidation), elevated homocysteine with risks of blood vessel and heart and stroke diseases from cholesterol, increased risk of DNA (gene) mutation and cancer, cataracts, macular degeneration (eye disease), weakened immune function and impaired elimination of toxins.

Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid (there are 20 different amino acids in protein) and helps protect intestinal integrity (health of the stomach, duodenum, jejunum, ileum and colon). It is the primary source of energy for intestinal cells and cells of the immune system, it is an overall source of energy, promotes wound healing, increases growth hormone production which preserves muscle and decreases accumulation of fat. How common glutamine deficiency is present is not known. Deficiencies cause increased permeability of the intestines to allergens and toxins (things that cause allergies and toxins pass through the intestinal cells into the body easier and more than they should) inflammation of the intestines, food allergies, inflammatory arthritis (joint inflammation), fatigue, skin rashes, impaired immune function, poor wound healing and slow recovery from illness.

Choline helps as a methyl (a chemical substance that contains carbon and hydrogen) donor to make amino acids and synthesize proteins, is a precursor of the neurotransmitter (helps nerve transmission) acetycholine, is required for the production of lecithin (a phospholipid found in cell membranes) and helps in the metabolism of fat. Deficiency rates of choline are not known but cause dementia, anxiety, depression and increased fat deposition with weight gain.

This information is from Spectracell Labs and is a brief overview of problems with nutrition. You may have recognized yourself with some of the symptoms and diseases. Most of the patients I have tested are deficient in essential amino acids and essential fatty acids, along with low levels of vitamins and minerals. Essential means your body cannot make these nutrients. You have to absorb them.

Amino and fatty acids are the building blocks for cell membranes, enzymes, chemical messengers, muscles, nerves and brain tissue. It is not surprising many of my patients are so sick. Part of the trouble may be what people eat and do not eat. But poor absorption of nutrients from the intestines may be a significant factor, along with excess consumption of nutritional substances by germs, or abnormal wasting by excretory organs such as the kidneys. Who knows? It would be nice to know the causes, but the fact remains that most of my patients have multiple and often severe deficiencies of several nutritional substances that are vital for normal health and life.

Jiroffa nutritional products carry a guarantee of satisfaction. The best ingredients known on planet earth are what go into Jiroffa supplements. It is standard advice that whatever supplement you try, give it at least three to four months before you give up on it. Gingko biloba should be given at least nine months before you decide it has not helped your memory or thinking.

luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Terry, That is a great article. Thanks.

My doctor has me on many supplements as well as IVs for glutathione and lipostabil. He recently started injections of BioPuncture which needs to be a post unto itself.

FYI, I used coconut oil on my scalp after I noticed the redness and bumps. I rubbed it in and left it there overnight. When I washed my hair the next day, the rash was gone and the hair was soft. The rash has not yet returned, but also, I have not yet been exposed to the sun. This weekend I will ride again and intentionally, I will not wear a hat just to see if I get the rash and flare of joint pain again. I hope I do not, but feel I have to try and see.

Coconut oil is known for healing skin rashes. It did not help my face in just one application. The rash was much more severe on my face than in my head. I purchased Florasone cream from the healthfood store. I can't remember the active ingredient and am at work, so I can't look it up. I applied it to my face the second night and it cleared it right up. This is supposed to be a natural alternative to cortizone cream.

Luvs

--------------------

Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of the "side effects" of chemotherapy we all are aware of is hair loss.

Bottom line...the body is far too acidic.

The "acids" downregulate one another. There is an imbalance of the acidic nutrients.

Plus...

Waaaaaaaay too many damaging "free radicals" (most are lone oxygen molecules).

2 hydrogens lock onto 2 oxygens to = H202 (acidic) which is then VERY quickly reduced to H20 and O via an enzyme called catalase (from the liver). Then once again...more hydrogen...

Catalase is our most ABUNDANT antioxidant enzyme. Too many free radicals = damage the powerhouses of our cells, the mitochondria.

To see what nutrients might help with the hair loss situation, there is a new (Fourth) edition of "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" that is out. Pages 449-451 offer some guidance.

As an example...the first supplement mentioned is essential fatty acids....but primarily the Omega 3s NOT the Omega 6s!!! These fatty acids do indeed look to be out of balance in lyme (too many 6s, not enough 3s). Many other nutrients are out of balance too as the body is trying hard to find an alternative path to destroy Bb since our OWN ANTIBODIES are damaged (fab portion) BECAUSE Mg levels drop a LOT (!) right at the get-go for PROTECTIVE reasons.

Testosterone is implicated...androgens...in hair loss too. You do know that women and men have both estrogen and testosterone, just in different amts., right?

Testosterone is protective from several angles. It looks to lock onto iron, for one. (Many pathogens - but not Bb - use iron.) Too much iron isn't good. Testosterone is "heart friendly" in a way. But the prostate gland is another situation. When testosterone is broken down...

Estrogen helps us gals to keep our bones healthy, but too much estrogen (out of balance) and... hello estrogen dependent breast cancer. Osteoporosis (post menopause) at the "cost" of preventing cancer as estrogen levels drop. I do NOT think HRT is "smart".

Following?

This is all a matter of balance. There is a reason WHY certain hormones drop as we age.

I believe the body is trying to protect us from DNA damage -> cancer. Many pathogens, too many "free radicals", exposure to environmental toxins = damage.

Both illness and aging = mitochondrial damage- the powerhouses of our cells. How fast this happens depends on MANY factors.

The "sex" hormones come FROM cholesterol.

Bb is following the glycolysis pathway and is triggering the cholesterol pathway. Bb is using sugar - fermenting sugar to ethanol(alcohol).

Bb is damaging cells which triggers "protective" cholesterol release.

Bb's outer cell wall IS lipoproteins. It is so similar to our own cell walls, this becomes very difficult for our body to deal with.

And yet...our own antibodies specific to Bb...CAN knock out this infection IF we have enough of the nutrients to "spare" to MAKE the antibodies.

IMO...we don't have enough to "spare" fast enough...especially if co-infected....or if dx'd too late.

Can we reverse aging? Can we heal the mitochondria (powerhouses)? Yes, to a degree. We all have a limited # of times new cells will be made (old cells are destroyed and new made all the time at different times). Sort of a "maximum life span". But it is far longer than the life spans we currently have.

Well...2 well educated doctors believe we can. They approach this differently, but both plans of action involve:

GET ALKALINE. Raise the pH. We are supposed to be slightly alkaline. There is a book out...Alkalinize or Die.

The doctors are Bruce Ames (Juvenon) and Nicholas Perricone (The Perricone Prescription).

Look carefully at what they suggest and figure out HOW these plans work.

Start with the following knowledge:

A mineral OR sugar (glycogen) have a positive charge.

The vitamins and amino acids have a negative charge.

Normally it takes a LOT of acids/negative charges reacting with sugar or a mineral/positive charges to

produce hydrogen

...to maintain our tightly controlled pH level.

Doctor Perricone uses chromium, a LOT of acids and a low glycemic index diet (low glycogen) to "reverse aging". Being a dermatologist, his book has pictures to PROVE it works...the persons really DO look younger.

We are supposed to be slightly alkaline.

We are most acidic at death.

Highly targeted ACIDS/negative charges do knock out pathogens, but too many harm HEALTHY cells.

Think of radiation therapy compared to overall radiation exposure.

Review:
Little mineral (or glycogen..ideally a "natural sugar") + LOTS of acids = hydrogen.

Hydrogen goes right into the cells. Now it is sorta "carried along" once IN the cell by an enzyme that looks to be "downregulated" in lyme (because of too much MnSOD - as SOD is binding to Mn)...

CoQ10.

The cholesterol lowering drugs deplete this enzyme. The drug companies KNOW this and have said they will add it to the formulas, but so far have not.

Several things can INactivate PFK...the "rate limiting" enzyme for glycolysis. One is hyrogen. Another is Mg-ATP (get that pump working). Another is citrates. Insulin (acidic) ACTIVATES this enzyme which Bb is "dependent on".

It looks like glycogen, excess ongoing, disrupts the Na-K pump. NORMALLY Na is supposed to be OUTSIDE the cell, and K INSIDE. In lyme, it looks like Na is "stuck" INSIDE the cells.

When one pump goes out of commission, so do the other pumps.

Eclampsia...the TOXICITY of preganancy. Edema. High blood pressure. Likely you are aware of this.

What is given if seizures happen? IV Mg.

To INactivate HMG CoA reductase (halt VLDL - very low density lipoprotein - cholesterol release), Mg works. IMO, safer than the "man-made" drugs. Now, we must have some cholesterol for our own cells...so our focus must turn to the healthy UNsaturated fats.

IMO...we need to restore the balance.

We KNOW Bb wants OUR choline, for example. But...we CANNOT be without this "B vitamin" (classified as such, but not exactly). A deficiency of this essential nutrient will impact the liver (fatty liver)AND impact the neurotransmitter, acetylcholine.

To counter...up goes dopamine -> norepinephrine -> epinephrine. Let's trigger the adrenals!

= disrupt the HPA axis...the glands "signal" one another. HPA stands for hypothalamus, pituitary and adrenal.

We KNOW how bad this is...steroids = trouble if one has lyme. Makes it WORSE. Bb loves being in an acidic environment. All gram negative pathogens are missing acids.

Cholesterol is a steroid too. While we must have some of these protein-fats, too many isn't good.

This is all about balancing the system and it gets very very complex.

Bb uses Mn for many functions. HIV uses Mg...which makes that virus MUCH worse!

Hg (mercury) locks onto choline and is believed to be the "autoimmune" trigger.

NORMALLY our bile salts (which contain phosphorus and choline and other nutrients) REMOVE Hg from our system. We are exposed to Hg in our environment ongoing.

The tetracycline class of drugs DO reduce Mn levels. Mexotrexate (for HIV) DOES deplete choline. But it appears neither works entirely. Humira DOES downregulate TNF alpha (side effect is cancer or TB).

Other "off the beaten path" therapies do seem to work to treat Bb infections. Each for different reasons, but they look to work.

Still...this takes TIME. It appears it takes a full 2 years to get this infection under control and for the body to begin to repair the damage (primarily cholesterol plaques lining the blood vessels).

A long time ago, on TV, Dr. Andrew Weil said, "Lion's Mane mushroom can heal the myelin sheath." Does it really? Naah. It destroys the pathogen that is triggering the infection and once the infection is gone, the body heal itself (repairs the myelin - cholesterol - sheath that insulates the nerves). Mushrooms are beta glucans...figure out the "electromagnetic" charges.

Dosage and timing are very likely critical components.

Sorry if it appears I got off track, but realize that your hair loss is due to:

a nutritional imbalance caused by Bb AND the drugs you are taking.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

A ggod supplement to take for hair loss is Biotin.

I just have to remember to take it. [bonk]

TerryK
Member # 8552

quote:
A ggod supplement to take for hair loss is Biotin.
I think that's true *if* your hair loss or greying is due to a deficiency.
Terry

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement