LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » ABX for someone "starting out"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ABX for someone "starting out"
pope
Member # 10725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been ill for over a year. See history in earlier thread. Common consensus is Bartonella coinfection.

Need to get started on something. I'm currently on nothing, and my UK GP is a bit lost. Can't blame him, so am I. It's like being told you can have apple pie, or ice cream for the rest of your life... but not both. [bonk]

Without wanting to trigger a whole bunch of conflicting advice (I realise there's no simple answer to this)... any opinions on what abx I could get started on?

Options being considered:

* Amoxicillin + probenicid
* Doxy + Azithromycin + Rifampin
* Any thoughts on Telithromycin instead of Zith? (seeing as Dr.B doesn't reckon Zith much).

Had an interesting (first good, then bad, then really good, now averagely awful again) reaction to an experiment with some spare Amoxicillin over the weekend, but not sure if that's the way to go to start with. I suspect that whatever I go on first, I'll be on for a little while, so I'd like to maximise my chances [Wink]

Thanks

Posts: 19 | From London | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there ...a REAL LIMEY!

Anyway...if it were me and I knew what I know now...

I would get on something that kills co-infections first...like mepron and zith and artemisinin....

possibly go to Diflucan for a couple months and switch to IM penicillin...

Then if still in trouble with lymebrain....IV Rocephin(ceftriaxone)

or a real heavy hitter like vancomycin....and watch liver enzymes and gaul bladder problems(sludge) when on vanco....

Best advice I have....also when you think you have peaked or plateued on whatever you're using switch abx to something else...

monitor your monthly cycles....every 28 days or so you should experience a "flare up or herx of symptoms"...

When they are'nt too severe anymore or nonexistant this means the bug has mutated and is resistant to whatever abx you took the previous month....time to switch......don't forget flagyl cyst buster either...

Don't ever forget the ProBiotics....

COQ10,vitBcomplex100,Cordycepts,Magnesium,and some garlic and parsley.

Also while doing this try external cellular hyperthermia...like a sauna or hot tub...

or

HBOT if you have it there....hyperbaric oxygen therapy...

And prayer.......

good luck....zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisBtheLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisBtheLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Pope,

I am a UK Lymie from West Kent.

Are you under a Lyme Literate doctor?
Lyme is hard to treat, especially in the later stages and I would strongly suggest you see a LLMD (Lyme literate medical doctor).
I don't know your full story, but there are about 3 or 4 good Lyme doctors in the U.K.

They are in Cardiff, Bolton, Sunderland and Hemel Heampstead.

Coinfections are not as common in the U.K as they are in the U.S, but they do exist.

I think it would be best to start off quite slowly at the beginning, or you will probably herx like crazy - starting off on 3 ABX at once is looking for trouble.

There is a U.K based support group called EuroLyme which has alot of U.K members if you need any help.
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/EuroLyme/

I would suggest you print off a copy of Dr. Burrascano's treatment guidelines and give it to your G.P, it will help him or her understand it better.
PDF: http://www.ilads.org/files/burrascano.pdf
HTML: http://www.ilads.org/burrascano_1102.htm

Could you give me the link to your other threads so I understand your story?

Hope this helps,
Chris

Posts: 263 | From UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did rifampin + ketek for five months to cure bartonella, along with a supplement called vinpocetine that seemed to help somewhat. It's cheap and harmless, so I'm tossing it in.

Ketek is much better than zith, but often has to be taken at a lower dosage than the manufacturer recommends. Try 400mg twice a day, instead of 800mg once a day. Also, you do need to be careful and take lots of liver support with it. That said, it's in a whole different league than zith.

I'm in the "blast the mosquito with a cannon and get it over with" school of treatment. No need to spend years and years paying doctors when there are antibiotics that will just knock these stupid bugs out of the park.

Watch out for the rifampin herx, though. When you first get the prescription, it's okay to start slowly and ramp up. If the rifampin is helping you, then even a small amount will have a noticeable effect, probably of increased calm. Then, when you hit the full dosage, you may go through a few days, or even weeks, of herxing. Don't panic, it's normal.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by liz28:
No need to spend years and years paying doctors when there are antibiotics that will just knock these stupid bugs out of the park.

Careful with that assesment some of us have had the heavy duty abx and it still can take years and years...

Depends how long youve had it, if/what coinfections are present, condition of the immune system.

we dont all respond the same.

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter has bart and nothing else shows up. She started on zith a year ago. The herx was horrendous, and she had to start very slowly, 250mg every other day. Working up to 500mg daily was an impossible goal, but she is taking it today, along with 300mg Rifampin.

It's a slow process, and she is probably 35% improved over a year ago. We haven't discussed changing antibiotics yet.

Probiotics are a MUST, and other supplements to support detox.

This is a maverick idea from my LLMD, but he doesn't care what others think. He is adamately opposed to supplementing magnesium. He believes the bacteria use it to build their biofilm shield. He is a microbiologist and has his own lab.

That being said, when my daughter was doing epsom salt baths, she was an inflamed balloon. Not supplementing with mag has helped her considerably. As the bacteria die, the magnesium is released back into the body.

She is getting magnesium from foods, to be sure, but we aren't taking any nutritional supplements.

That's certainly not a popular thought here, and it may be specific to bartonella and not the other strains. I can only speak from our experience.

Be gentle with yourself.

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement