LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » looking for supplements for depression

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: looking for supplements for depression
radiogirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,
Teenage daughter and I are looking into natural supplement for our depressed brains.

Has anyone been helped by 5htp or sam-e?

I thinked we have toughed it out enough and have been doing a little walking along with cheery chatter and good fresh food and our vitamins.

Obviously we need to take a look at what natural supps for depression have to offer.Thanks,RG

Posts: 140 | From Texas | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you can try st johns wart....I believe it's called...

Did'nt have luck with sam E for depression myself...

Did'nt have luck with anything "natural" and had tough enough time with psychotropics till I landed on lexapro...

paxil helped too but was afraid to stay on it too long cuz of the withdrawal....

anyway....what are ya gonna do when you swing around to the manic side this disease causes?

That's why ya should get on an ssri..IMHO...zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used st. John's wart for sometime. It does work for mild to moderate depression.

It has some contradictios so you will have to ask your LLMD about this herb.

here's a link on it:

Http://www.sjwinfo.org/

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisBtheLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisBtheLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found high doses of fish oils greatly helped my depression and anxiety - it might be worth a try.
Posts: 263 | From UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lioness
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lioness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found 5HTP to help. But, my dr also had me take certain amino acids to help the body support it.

I had a neuro screening done first so they could monitor what I did and did not need.

My friend was taking SAMe but is not sure if it helped because he started taking scripts soon after.

Posts: 240 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lesley1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lesley1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently realized that my low mood and poor sleep might be due to clinical depression rather than just the day to day of dealing with this sucky disease.

But I hated the thought of going through the trial and error of finding an antidepressant that worked without unacceptable side effects -- something I spent several years doing in the past only to find St. Johns Wort the most helpful at alleviating my depression with no noticeable side effects.

So I tried it again and after 3 or 4 weeks really noticed a big difference. What surprised me most is how much my sleep has improved. Sleep has been a huge issue for me for years.

I can't say I cleared the SJW with my LLMD before I started -- as I should have -- but she was fine with it when we talked about it at my last appt. The fact that it was already helping me no doubt helped my case.

Everyone's body is so different. I have experienced mania on some SSRI's but never on St. John's Wort. However, I agree that it's a good idea to have someone knowledgeable supervising it.

Good luck.

Posts: 164 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Radiogirl:
Supplement with fish oil (for essential fatty acids) and magnesium.

Essential fatty acids are vital for the body to maintain cell membranes.

Google for Mary Enig, and read some of her articles about essential fatty acids.

Magnesium is necessary for all of our enzyme processes.

The Lyme bacteria deplete magnesium in our muscle and nerve cells.

Google for magnesium and depression to find information about this.

Rapid Recovery From Depression Using Magnesium Treatment
http://www.coldcure.com/html/dep.html

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i second Carol in a big way about magnesium. it just helped me in a big way-- i forgot to take it for at least several weeks, and probably is no coincidence a real depression resulted soon after that lasted for weeks. Feel better after 3-4 days back magnesium.

i'd strongly suggest that no matter what else you add to it.

one more thing to add would be radiola rosea, an herb. highly recommended as well.

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mangosteen juice!!! For SURE!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in an on and off depression for many years. Everything in my life was fine and I could never figure out why. The minute my heavy metal detox was taking place, which was initiated so that I could get rid of Lyme, the depression left, left, left - I have not been depressed a single day since then - even while I was still working on getting rid of Lyme. Even when some of the world around me collapses, I am no longer depressed.

Environmental toxins are a huge factor in depression. Just look around - half the world is trying to hide depression --- it's in young and old and many do not have Lyme Disease.

Hope you find your solution. Not everything is Lyme caused.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesucks
Member # 10575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you do the 5htp there is something you need to take along with it....it might be the amino acids the the previous poster noted.
Good luck. )

Posts: 56 | From bayarea | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorites are htp and theonine (an amino acid that helps with clearer thinking). Htp can be a little sedating at first, too, until your body gets used to it.

Also, never forget a good quality magnesium supplement.

Best wishes,

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5HTP is a potent vasodilator. If you have heart damage from Lyme like I do, or high cardiac risk factors, especially blockage and/or high blood pressure, please do not take it, at least not without close supervision. It almost killed me....I ended up on a cardiac event monitor, barely able to walk. I had arterial spasm from it, which could easily happen to anyone deficient in Magnesium, which is most Lymies.

St. John's Wort has a high rate of allergic reactions, so be aware if you have pollen allergies.

I am not pooh-poohing these things, just advisng caution, from my own experiences. I hope they do help you.

I already take fish oil and krill oil with no help there. SamE did not work for me either. That does not mean they won't work for you though!

I finally had all of my hormones checked and found that my Dhea was much too low. MY doctor says if there is no joy in your life, your Dhea will fall. Taking a small Dhea supplement has helped some, but not enough. You might want to get hormone testing if nothing else works for you.

Good luck,

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
radiogirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all so much for the pros and cons of my questions.As well the kind words for my daughter.

We will see our llmd in Mo. this friday so I best speak with him before I purchase something.

Once again thanks for the info it all helps,RG

Posts: 140 | From Texas | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find that fish oil ( I use Carlson's lemon flavored in a bottle about a half teaspoon or so dailY ) Makes my zoloft MUCH more effective .

NOTE : 5 HTP must be used WITH Vit B6 to
be effective. If you are not on an anti depressant , you could try a combo of :
5 HTP, fish oil, and L phenylalinine . These are all precursors for the production of serotonin and dopamine ( mood neurotransmitters ) .

L phenylalinine and 5HTP are amino acids that DEPEND on Vit B6 to be absorbed . Both combined can make a big difference with concentration and moods . I think fish oil is also a helper ( So does Harvard ) .

I have read multiple anecdotal reports on rhodiola being a help with depression .

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see a Homeopathic LLMD who recommended NADH for depression. I started taking it last year but only around my menstrual cycle (which was when the depression was the worst) It was unbelievable how it worked. Everytime I get even alittle bit deppressed I take one and its completely gone.

I usually only take one pill a month maybe.

I bought it at www.iherb.com

http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductsList.aspx?c=Herbs&cid=NADH

Hope this helps,

Lisi

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BorreliaBrain
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BorreliaBrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allegedly, Rhodiola is just the absolute wonder-supplement for depression. There are a few books about it by psychiatrists. I haven't tried it, but I hear good reports from my Lymie friends that have.

Good luck.

BB

Posts: 194 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BB,

I have tried Rhodiola, but not for depression. From what my LLMD told me Dr. F has been doing research on it for treating lyme and Bartonella (from what I remember) I did herx from it about an hour after taking it.

Although I did read that it was good for anxiety and social disorders.

This is also what I have read on it:

"Some studies have shown Rhodiola benefits such varied areas as increased learning capacity and memory enhancement, regulation of menstrual periods and infertility, reduction of side effects from cancer chemotherapy, increased sexual libidio and erectile dysfunction, enhancement of thyroid gland function, increased capacity for work and endurance, and protection from environmental toxins."

And it stimulates the central nervous system.

Lisi

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hopeful123
Member # 3244

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hopeful123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have never found natural methods to work. i take wellbutrin and paxil . each mild doses. it works and helps my concentration as well.

sorry i don't know of anything else.

--------------------
some days you're the bug, some days you're the windshield  -

Posts: 1160 | From NY | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement