LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Are there ANY garlic supplements worth buying?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are there ANY garlic supplements worth buying?
radiogirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for radiogirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Again,
I have researched so many differing opinions on garlic supplements ,but I know garlic is great to take.What works on the supplement front .Or should we just eat a clove a day? Thanks for helping me.

My young daughter Bailey is having a tough go of it lately.

She is on flagyl as well as myself and it does not help matters that there is a girl or two with MEAN GIRL syndrome at school.

She is a beautiful blonde blue eyed tender hearted girl and a little sheltered from being home schooled for 2 years from illness and having 4 brothers much much older who have always treated her very well .

So shes got the junior high blues.Not good times for her right now.Thanks for listening,RG

Posts: 140 | From Texas | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hardynaka
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hardynaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried quite a few supplements. The only one that works very well (not for lyme, in my case but for other infections) was the frozen garlic. It's more expensive than most, but you don't have to take the whole bottle each time to feel the effect. I took about 2 a day, maximum 3 a day and felt improvent.

Kyolic garlic is just nothing compared.

Sorry to hear about your daughter... Hope she'll imrprove soon!

Selma

Posts: 1086 | From Switzerland | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AZURE WISH
Member # 804

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AZURE WISH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GIGI had a good post on garlic and I believe somewhere in that thread there was recommedations.

look up garlic and her number is #259

--------------------
multiple chemical sensitvity group:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/multiplechemicalsensitivities

Group for artists. All media welcome:
http://www.lymefriends.com/group/creativecorner

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Lyme_Artist

Posts: 3860 | From nj,usa | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those who can afford it, Biopure makes an expensive but good freeze-dried garlic capsule:

www.biopureus.com

I hope Bailey will find her way to enjoying school and dealing with the social issues, and that both of you will feel better soon!

[ 04. December 2006, 09:41 PM: Message edited by: Vermont_Lymie ]

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie p
Member # 10742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for annie p         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by radiogirl:
Hi Again,
I have researched so many differing opinions on garlic supplements ,but I know garlic is great to take.What works on the supplement front .Or should we just eat a clove a day? Thanks for helping me.

My young daughter Bailey is having a tough go of it lately.

She is on flagyl as well as myself and it does not help matters that there is a girl or two with MEAN GIRL syndrome at school.

She is a beautiful blonde blue eyed tender hearted girl and a little sheltered from being home schooled for 2 years from illness and having 4 brothers much much older who have always treated her very well .

So shes got the junior high blues.Not good times for her right now.Thanks for listening,RG

Posts: 5 | From joplin mo | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annie p
Member # 10742

Icon 7 posted      Profile for annie p         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you heard of the new Allimax (drops,tabs)clinical trial for lyme. Sounds promising with that particular brand.
Posts: 5 | From joplin mo | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Home-made garlic juice 1tsp twice a day with meal and plenty of soup seems working pretty well for me.

I have just been on this for two weeks and already see significant improvement, which makes me confident that I'd be cured soon.

I took cloves of garlic before and didn't feel any effect.

So cloves of garlic may not work and most commercial garlic products may not work either due to that the effective compounds might be easy to be destroyed during the processing,shipping and storage.

So be careful of these commercial garlic products. It is hard to control their quality.

In contrast, it's easy to make garlic juice at home using a juice maker and the juice can be stored in freezer for a long time.

And Garlic may be effective for a wide spectrum of pathogens including Bbs, Bart.Babs, virus...

Dave

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter did really well on freeze dried organic garlic last summer. I was really pleased. Then someone told her that she could smell garlic on her breath, so she refused to take it anymore. She was just starting high school. I didn't smell it early on, but began noticing it at about the same time as the person who mentioned it to her.

Per a suggestion from someone here, we lowered the dosage, but still, the problem continued. Very frustrating.

I am now looking into a New Chapter product that was suggested by another person here. It is not freeze-dried, so it may not have the same punch. But hopefully it will help.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave6002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know why, nobody around me have complained about garlic smell after I switched to the homemade garlic juice. I didn't smell the garlic on the breath either.

Before I could smell the garlic when I ate cloves of garlic.

Posts: 1078 | From Fairland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like your idea, Dave. But I am not sure if I could get my daughter to drink garlic juice because of the taste and/or the fact that it might burn (?). I will try it myself to see how strong it is.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Neither would bother you, if you mix one TSP of garlic juice with plenty of soup (about 2 cups or 16 fl. oz) and drink it at the end of a meal.

I didn't feel a trace of burn or any uncomfortable, rather a pleasant meal.

The garlic juice should be fresh or frozen in a freezer , and should be put at room temperature for a certain time (say about 30 minutes. I don't know the best time) to give alliinase some time to convert alliin into allicin before you take it or put it into the freezer.

Allicin is not a very stable compound. It degrades slowly upon standing and is rapidly destroyed by cooking.

Dave

lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Dave,

I think it was cuz the people around you already don't like you so it was just one more thing not to like!...LOL

I used a garlic and parsley product by SOLGAR...

Picked it one day while browsing at healthfood store...

The parsley will tame down the garlic smell so you're kid won't offend...
Hey that might be a good remedy for keeping her away from teenage boys!...LOL

Like that Contraceptive girls are supposed to hold between their knees....
LOL

but I digress....

anywho...the freshly juiced with parsley,kale,red cabbage,broccoli,tomatoes....tastes like dirt and burns a little...but...

wow does it clear up bronchitis type lyme symptoms and even gives me some energy...I just can't kiss the wife!

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dave,

How much garlic do you have to run through the juicer to make a few tablespoons?

I thought about doing this but wondered if the garlic smell would linger in the plastic parts of
the juicer.(like it does in a leftover container)

Don't want to drink fruit juice with essence of
garlic ...

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Radiogirl,

I am using BioImmersion freeze dried garlic similar to Biopure. I have not noticed any effects but I may not be taking enough.

I was thinking about trying Allimax since it is
a more potent form of allicin. I called the company last month and they said that they are
getting some good results with some tough lyme
cases during their clinical trial. Not everyone
though so at least they were honest.

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garlic really rocks! It does help alot.

Organic garlic is a good choice. Because regular garlic can pick up toxins in the soil.

Biopure is the best but a little pricey. But considering I spent $850 on one bottle of mepron I think its worth it. Freeze dried is the best.

here's a link:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=040693

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Hey Zeeeeeee....... Careful with all that creativiteeeeeee......./////!!!#@*!!!????

kay?

Otherwise... thanks for the garlic resource. Unfortunately, the garlic might keep both males and females away...

Dave... it would seem that one would need another juicer just for the garlic?

Claire

Dave6002
Member # 9064

quote:
I think it was cuz the people around you already don't like you so it was just one more thing not to like!...LOL
Zman, quite the opposite, they complained cuz they wanted to be closer to me.

The truce is the garlic juice simply doesn't contain the compounds that produce the bad garlic smell. I tested several times with my wife and she OKes it.

So unbelievable the garlic is or almost is odor-less.

Enjoy garlic juice.

Dave

MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Dave, so does it stink up the juicer???
Dave6002
Member # 9064

Hi, Marsy,

You can make one cup of garlic juice with about 40 heads of garlic.

So it's easy to get plenty of garlic juice.

Here is the Juiceman juicemaker I am using:

Dave  -

Dave6002
Member # 9064

quote:
so does it stink up the juicer???
Marsy, sorry, I don't have the answer,cuz I haven't used the juicemaker to make other juices after I used for making garlic juice.

Dave

lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used the same juiceman jr juicer and cleaned it after every use...

No telltale leftover scentsor flavors marsy...or anyone else...

Now the plastic container I kept it in the fridge was a different story...

I would suggest glass...to store it in...

I have a Jack Lalane juicer now...and have'nt tried it there...
But judgeing from the internal workings of this ome being much similar to the juiceman...

And cleaning it immediately...I would safely assume no residual scent of garlic will remain!

juice away folks....

there is a book by some lady in the library...that has a suggested "remedy or adjunct" recipe for lyme disease...

that's where I got the bronchitis recipe from...

by the way...I used to juice some beets on the side to sip on to get the taste of the other stuff out of my mouth...

one question I don't understand DANA....

how is organic garlic better...besides not having pesticides...

I mean both garlics are grown in dirt NO?

so whatevers in the dirt will be in the garlic...?

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Thanks Dave, Z I think I will give it a shot.
I had been buying organic garlic at whole foods
it's like 1.49 for 3 bulbs so to juice 40 bulbs
would be $15.00 glass. Expensive elixer.

Ps the organic garlic at whole foods says Made
in China. Is it really organic? I switched to organic when I read that garlic has
an affinity for pesticides and heavy metals.

Doubt Bailey will be wanting to drink garlic juice though!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement