LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » no brain lesions...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: no brain lesions...
lymesucks
Member # 10575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had an MRI cuz my neurologist suspected MS. NO lesions. Do all people with Lyme have lesions on an MRI??? I almost WANTED to have one or two...to help confirm my Lyme case. Hmmm...oh well.
Posts: 56 | From bayarea | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Visual Afterimage Man
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10435

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Visual Afterimage Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no lesions on my brain as my doc first suspected MS.
Having no lesions is a GOOD THING! You don't have any damage.
Igenex test will confirm your Lyme diagnosis. Don't worry about needing more confirmation.

--------------------
26 months of treatment. And counting.......

Posts: 298 | From Northeast Kansas | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD asked for a brain spect scan, which showed I had vast areas of hyperfusion indicative of lyme disease. [Frown]

It's apparently another "indicator", like my full symptoms, my MDL tests, my Bowen test, thyroid issues, etc.

When is enough enough? [Mad]

If it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck and quacks like a duck.........

[confused]

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesucks
Member # 10575

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymesucks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank u!
i thought lesions were a staple 4 lyme. i should be happy u r rught. thx

Posts: 56 | From bayarea | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesucks
Member # 10575

ya...i feel like i have thyroid probs 2 but ts=ests r fine...
example
heat intolerance
inability 2 sweat
anxiety

mvcynthia
Member # 10583

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mvcynthia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had 2 mri w/lots of lesions, most definitely a damage indicator. I agree, way better to have none, there are many other symptons to have and be worried about. I also had 2 spinals, 1 band in one sample, ms indicator, and evoked potential, delay in right optic nerve. I went to the chrio. last mon. and my headaches are gone! Meet my llmd this sat. yeah! Finished iv 28 days and feel GOOD.
Posts: 9 | From martha's vineyard. ma | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
serendipity
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most with lyme don't have brain lesions
If you had lesions, the doctors would likely diagnosis you with MS and not lyme

Posts: 628 | From the south | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesucks
Member # 10575

Thats great Cynthia! Positive news. [Smile]
Moosie
Member # 10033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moosie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is "hyperfusion" . . poorhouse?

--------------------
Trying to figure it all out.

Posts: 38 | From Spanaway, WA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jadedemolush
Member # 9090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jadedemolush     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had NO lesions, and wicked wicked MS symptoms. Also intense dizzyness and severe nervous system problems.

I didnt have MS... I had lyme... but it took a lot of tests to scratch the almost MS diagnosis.

Posts: 48 | From Toms River New Jersey | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moosie:
What is "hyperfusion" . . poorhouse?

I hope I can explain it properly.

According to my doc...it means the lyme disease has stopped blood flow to certain parts of my brain. [Frown]

I am forgetting names and words and it causes pain indicators to flare up. And it's hard for me to deal with more than one task at a time.

It's why it's always something with me. Like when I'm so tired I can't keep my eyes open and almost drop on the spot. I forget things even if they are on a list I made the day before, no energy even if I try and noises, like music or talking I hear even when things are quiet.

I'm a mess. It explains, according to the doc, why I can't follow directions and get lost a lot if I'm driving in familiar places.

Lots of other things, but it's a kind of brain damage due to loss of blood flow to certain areas of my brain.

While I was happy the test proved something was wrong, it scares me to think my brain is damaged. [Frown]

I'm still working full-time, but I'm not the person I used to be. I'm good at faking it still but it takes all of my concentration to even do simple tasks.

I pray most of you don't have this. I can take the physical pain and have learned to just deal with it moment to moment.....it's the brain stuff that really scares me. [Frown]

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymesucks
Member # 10575

Jade u and I are in the same boat then i guess.
I have major symptoms. Thx for your reply....it feels better cuz i was thinking it meant i didnt have lyme.

shazdancer
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1436

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shazdancer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Close, poorhouse. What you're describing is called hypoperfusion, decreased blood flow in the brain.
Posts: 1558 | From the Berkshires | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Righto Shaz! I thought it looked funny the way I spelled it.

Guess it proves I've got it...along with the scan results. [Frown]

I may have to take the name of Scarecrow ("if I only had a brain" PLUS the right amount of blood flow of course!) as my board name. [Wink]

[ 05. December 2006, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: tothepoorhouse ]

seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read that about 50% of Lyme patients with severe neuro symptoms have brain lesions. I think I have also read that about 50% of people with lesions have improvement in the number or size of lesions after treatment.

The author Amy Tan had something like 20 lesions I think and docs were trying to tell her that was normal for her age. Hubby who is very close to her age I think (he is 51) started with 2 lesions before Lyme -- increased to 5 lesions and has now decreased to 4 lesions we think.

A SPECT scan is supposed to be more sensitive than an MRI -- will show problems before they develop into lesions. It is my understanding that in many cases the hypoperfusion simply means decreased blood flow (usually as a result of infection -- vasculitis) and that this does not necessarily indicate permanent brain damage.

Some of you may have heard of the term hypercoagulation -- this is very similar to hypoperfusion in that it indicates problems with blood flow. This is due to bacteria which hide in the bloodstream causing increased fibrinigen. The test often used is called an ISAC panel and stands for Immune System Activation of Clotting. Babesia also causes bloodflow problems.

CoQ10 and Resveratrol should help with decreasing free radical damage in the brain. Treatment with heparin or systemic enzymes or other methods of thinning the blood may help with symptoms such as headaches and can help antibiotics penetrate and work better as well.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moosie
Member # 10033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moosie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information folks.

I had asked, because when I had an MRI done a little over a year ago, I did not have any lesions. But I did have an "area of hyperactivity" whatever that may be, and since your term included "hyper" I just wondered. The pain doc I was seeing that "hyper" area was probably due to the hypervigilence stuff that supposedly goes on in fibro and chronic pain which is as far as I've gotten on getting any kind of diagnosis. I guess I have a part of my brain that is constantly monitoring pain. . .

confuses me just trying to remember how it was explained away as not being significant and my MRI being considered normal.

Anyway, thanks for the information. Moosie

--------------------
Trying to figure it all out.

Posts: 38 | From Spanaway, WA | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Brain lesions is not the technical term used on radiology reports -- the reports might say something like "hyperintense focus" or "bright white spot".

Moosie -- It sounds like your MRI did find a lesion.

Lesions can be caused by many things -- MS, Lyme, celiac disease, migraines, etc. Often the radiology report will say it is abnormal if more than one lesion is found, but the actual neurologist will report that MRI is normal if they have no explanation for the lesions -- at least half of the 13 neuros hubby saw reported his MRI's as normal.

Had a phone consult with hubby's LLMD today. He says that he has only ever had one Lyme patient who had a normal SPECT scan. Hubby has not had this test done. LLMD did not think it was needed unless we needed it for insurance or to convince someone hubby was sick (like disability).

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mag
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi there

bea What is reservol - and how do I get that

i have had two MRIs with the second one
having more than the first 32 + in number of lesions ( or hyperdense spots)
I hope they go away
Even though i was crazy before lymes
I miss my brain
i can hope and pray for all of us !!
mags

Posts: 259 | From California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Resveratrol is an antioxidant -- usually from grape seeds or Japanese Knotweed plant. The Healing Lyme book suggests the Japanese Knotweed source. This is the brand the book suggests and what hubby takes.

http://www.vitacost.com/Source-Naturals-Resveratrol-Antioxidant-Protection

Resveratrol is supposed to keep the serotonin in your brain from taking an alternative pathway which causes production of quinolinic acid (a potent neurotoxin). This happens when you have inflammation in your brain.

Do think this works. Hubby did have elevated quinolinic acid on one test and has lots of problems with SSRI's. He can take 5HTP (natural amino acid which increases serotonin) to help with sleep if he also takes Resveratrol.

Would also suggest Phosphatidylcholine to help with brain and liver/gallbladder function. The brand hubby uses is sold here (BodyBio PC). Hubby says the liquid tastes like burnt motor oil.

http://www.detoxxbook.com

IV phosphtidylcholine (the P.K. protocol) is what I think made the one lesion disappear. Also the MRI no longer mentions brain atrophy (brain shrinkage).

Bea Seibert

mag
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
seibertl

thanks for the information
i will look in to this so that my brain can function. sometimes it is a fight to keep on track with reality.
one moment i am okay and the next second - i feel like i am a totally different person with out mental balance
very frightening
thank you !!!

mags

Posts: 259 | From California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement