LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » flagyl?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: flagyl?
big lenny
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for big lenny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
whats up all. its been a while for me. but im back in the fight. gave up for a while now im back in the fight!!!! just recently went back to dock and put me on dose of ceftin and since little progress he sugested we add flagyl three times a day. dont know much about this, can anyone tell me what to expect and any supplements i should take while on these meds?????????????thanks and im here till this war is over!!!
Posts: 259 | From new york | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flaygl three times a day?!? I started on Flagyl once every three days and I could not move the day I took it.

Flagyl hits many people very hard. I don't think many people start at a high dose.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lenny

Flagyl can be hard for some folks to take--

It can REALLY bum you out --
think crazy thoughts ect--

It even bumbed me out and I am never down-
so have some one keep a eye on you--

Almost everyone herxes on it-

Might be a good idea to start off slow-

Flagyl dose work good tho --Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
schnuddelka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8031

Icon 8 posted      Profile for schnuddelka   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My llmd last time started me literally on a "sliver" of flagyl every morning and then a 1/4 pill working slowly up to three pills a day. It caused really bad herxes once in a while. Just be careful! You might be completely different, but it can really knock you over!

Good luck!

Jenn [spinning smile]

--------------------
When given lyme make lymeade!
A tick check a day keeps lyme away! [email protected]
Raising awareness by creating as many lymebassadors as possible!

Posts: 158 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymedesign
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedesign     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter is going to start Flagly (250 mg) daily for three days each week. We are supposed to take one dose and see what happens. If ok continue with 2nd dose...then after 3 weeks work up to three days a week. She currently takes Zith/Mepron. I am waiting until Friday just to be safe, I don't want her in school if she has a bad reaction/herx. Llmd said the herx would happen right away if she is to have one. I think I will start her very slowly, maybe a 1/4 dose the first time to be safe. Starting new medicines really scare me. She is doing very well, with only lingering muscle pain and some nausea in the middle of the night every night. Nausea was her first sympton and worst sympton. It went away after 8 months of abx, but for some reason has been creeping back at night. Flagyl is like the last weapon of defense I suppose, since we haven't really done a cyst-type "buster" yet.

Let me know any advise you may have to ease into this, or what approach worked best for you with Flagyl. Thanks all!!

Posts: 263 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK big lenny...

if you're like me about 5'9" and now about 280 then 250mgs won't hurt you too bad...but it might...

some have bad time with it!
I did not...had herx after second day but felt much better in two weeks...

no it does'nt cure lyme by itself...
tinidazol or metronidazol are equivalents or alternatives to flagyl...

DO NOT TAKE ANY ALCOHOL WHILE ON THIS MED>....unless you like to puke!

I did this 250mg dose for approx two years and still will pulse it whenever I'm on other abx...to break open the little cysts and then kill the little boogers as they emerge...if any!

I know pulse it about two or thre days a week at 500mgs twice a day...

But I'm only treating myself durring my monthly cycle right now and giving my bod a break for two to three week intervals....

This abx WILL cause you to experience Lethargy/depression...so be aware of that symptom.

It's generally used to treat diverticulitis and sometimes h-pylori...
good luck...sorry you're back...

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymedesign,

Just so you are aware, my Flagyl herx started within hours. I took it in the evening and I couldn't sleep at all that night because the pain was so intense.

Plus, I actually had fluid appear in my larger joints. I could hear it when I moved my knees, other joints.

Not everyone has such a quick herx, but it can. So make sure your daughter is home when she takes it.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lenny & LymeDesign,

I did 500 mg a day for about six weeks. Like ta kilt me! NO FUN. But in the end, I was so much improved that I was ready to declare myself "cured" of lyme. I rang up my LLMD and announced it, in fact. (I believe they gave me some silly line about being symptom free for a coupla months, yada yada yada..)

Actually, I crashed again shortly afterward, then found out I had babesia in addition to lyme, so I can't 'zackly blame Flagyl for that. It's a good drug. Take a LOT of good probiotics. Like Theralac. And go SLOOOWWWW. Good luck!

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by schnuddelka:
My llmd last time started me literally on a "sliver" of flagyl every morning and then a 1/4 pill working slowly up to three pills a day.

Same here! PLEASE do yourself a favor and begin slowly. YOu don't want to end up in the ER!

Bummed me out too....bigtime depression. So be aware of that aspect.

There are thousands of posts on flagyl. Check them out!

PS about the alcohol. YOu can't even use mouthwash containing alcohol while you're on flagyl. REad labels.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Tinidazole, which is similiar to Flagyl but supposed to be a little easier to tolerate. I take it continuously with Minocycline, and it is really working!

You may want to ask your doctor about Tinidazole.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I begged off Flagyl last month-but no such deal this month. I do a two week pulse-so I'm starting tomorrow in order to be done by the week of Christmas.

All I want for Christmas is some Peace of Mind.

Carol B

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl really does a number on my hubby...even when he just takes tiny slivers.... He still gets a herx reaction.

Glad to hear the mino is working good for some. Hubby is going to start that in a few days. Does it help your brain fog problems?

take care all

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

My LLMD explained to me that Mino is very good at crossing the brain barrier-which is possibly why some get dizzy when taking it.

I was unable to function with it-BUT I am going to try again in Jan/Feb when I can be horizontal and not in the middle of moving.

I felt the best I have felt since beginning treatment when on Mino as far as being clear headed-for brief periods of time-which is why I am willing to go at it again-when I can also tolerate the down time-I didn't make it past a week. I was a whimp-but it gave me hope.

Carol B

lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie tony z     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey Webhead,

Well now...that explains alot...

but I can't imagine ANYTHING making YOU dizzier than you already are! [lol]

zman

--------------------
I am not a doctor...opinions expressed are from personal experiences only and should never be viewed as coming from a healthcare provider. zman

Posts: 2527 | From safety harbor florida(origin Cleve., Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

And today I start my two weeks flagyl-just call me Dark Cloud. Is it really true- no pain no gain?
lymie tony z
Member # 5130

Webhead...

Dark clouds are gonna clear up

put on a happy face

Your cysts are gonna break up

put on a happy face....

zman

--------------------

lymedesign
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedesign     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter started the Flagyl tonight, b/c I didn't want her to take it during the week and feel sick at school.

I would never do that to her.

So I started her on just 1/4 of a 250mg pill. So far so good, it has been three hours.

Keep in mind, she only weighs 75 pounds. (That's about one of tony's legs....just kidding...love ya tony)

Thank you for all of your advise...there is nothing better than personal experience.

Lymedesign

Posts: 263 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lesley1954
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7626

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lesley1954     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl really seemed to mark the turning point for my 15 y.o. daughter. She took 250 mg twice a day for 5 days in the beginning. No bad herxes, just extra tired the first day or two.

In her 16 mo of treatment for Lyme and Babs, it's the only time she has said a particular med really helped.

That's the good news.

The bad news is that because she was responding so well, her LLMD wanted her to take it two weeks out of every mo. During her second two week pulse, she developed a peripheral neuropathy, with numbness and lots of tingling in one of her hands and two fingers.

She took a month off, tried Tini (which she said didn't do anything), and later tried Flagyl again only to have the tingling reoccur on the second or third day.

LLMD stopped her Babs treatment about a month ago after more than a year. She also tried to switch her from Biaxin and Omnicef to Minocycline. After two weeks of horrible headaches, we had to stop the mino.

So, for the first time in 16 months, she's not on any abx. We're waiting and watching. So far, so good. Back to the doctor next week, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck to you new Flagyl users.
Lesley

Posts: 164 | From USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles132002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read all these stories and did my own research on Flagyl before I started it too!

I thought maybe people were exaggerating. It definately wouldn't affect me like most people. I wouldn't be bed ridden-I was active, I walked 4 miles a day-I wasn't your typical lymie ne more! I mean really I was practically "cured."

Then I took flagyl-slowly just like everyone said and the first two days-I was "normal"-just like I was on regular meds-

On the third day-I was ASSED out! I took it 3 times a day too. I continued to take it for 2 weeks. I literally thought I was going to die-I was depressed, I was sleeping 20 hours a day, my body was achie, I had pounding headaches blahblah!

Needless to say, the lyme was NOT gone-I had to go off all meds for a month-so my system could rid the toxins-I re-tested a month later-still positive for Lyme, but not co-infections..Although I just tested pos for babs...

Can you ever really kill ne thing with disease? I dunno, but you can sure try! Keeping truckin!

Posts: 484 | From Burlingame, Ca | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, I see the flagyl really does a number on others as well. The LLMD warned us from the beginning to be very careful with flagyl.

I think husband will start the mino on Monday and we'll see how it goes. One thing I have really learned after a year of ABX is to go VERY slowly on anything new. He really has bad herx reactions.... altho' the itching part of that is gone now. Still gets the face flushing.

Thanks for all the input about mino, folks.

Best wishes to all.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement