LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » It's cold and I couldn't breathe

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's cold and I couldn't breathe
DanP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7501

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DanP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This morning walking a block from the bus to the office I couldn't breathe...couldn't get any air in! I grew up in Maine and live in NYC so I should be used to the cold....this was a first. Hope it doesn't happen again - it was scary.

52 yo and never had this happend and of course I blame everything on Lyme, but what if this isn't? Anyone had similar thing happen?

DanP

Posts: 277 | From NY | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not had this happen, but I have noticed some recent posts on it. You might PM Polar Blast because he was having some trouble with it. I used to be very sensitive to the cold. Perhaps a babs symptom?

Also, the difficulty with breathingn may be referred to as air hunger. Someone will hopefully correct me if I am wrong. Could do a search on it.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Dan,

One of my first signs of Lyme was and still is air hunger. I feel like I just can't get a full breath.

I only have this when I am upright. I do not have this lying down. However, even though I live in Louisiana, it has been very cold the last couple of days.

My air hunger is definitely worse in this cold air. Of course this could be coincidental, but....

I am awaiting babs testing via Igenex, but from what I've researched, this symptom belongs to this parasite.

Hope you get to get a "good" breath soon. Oh, by the way, I've been to an ER for this and my oxygen sats were always 99-100.

I've also been seen by a cardiologist, and pulmonologist and I have no specific problems with either my heart or lungs.

You still may want to check things out with your doctor.

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think it could be asthma? Some people get asthma from breathing in cold air. How cold was it??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
badkitti30043
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2889

Icon 1 posted      Profile for badkitti30043     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi
I just wanted to mention that I have asthma that started in my mid to late twneties and has contined to worsen over the past twenty years.

It started with winter weather affecting it , colds, sinus allergies which also began in my mid twenties.. All added to it though.

I never got great relief from inhaler meds, home nebulizers , but recently started two different meds that seem to be helping- I was supplied with DR. samples so I doubt I can afford to maintain them. They are costly but it as Spiriva - which as 1x daily , and Pulmocort 2xday . They actually seem helpful.

I am going to see if they have more DR. samples hen I return as even with insurance they cost too much for me. I don't believe there is a generic. But if you find it asthma and can get ahold of samples via the doctor or a prescription these work pretty well..

The Spiriva is an ongoing med. The Pulmocort is an inhaled steroid- but it was worth its Lyme risk to me given the lack of air & breathing.

I hope you can figure it out but kno that everything from allergians on up can trigger asthma .You could give one or both a try or simple and cheap med is abuterol inhaler but it as never a great effective asthma drug for me.Take care

--------------------
Sandi
( badkitti30043)

Posts: 664 | From Atlanta Ga. | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first thought was asthma, too. While I'm not asthmatic, on of my sons is and I taught several students with asthma over the years.

One of the problems they usually had was increased difficulty with breathing in the cold air.

I hope you get some answers soon. Warmer weather would be nice, too! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
Do you think it could be asthma? Some people get asthma from breathing in cold air. How cold was it??

That's was my first thought too, too.
(and Lymed, didn't see you there... was typing when you posted)

I have a friend that's been living in Alaska for many years and only in a few years ago developed cold induced asthma. I had never heard that before, so that's why it stuck in my mind.

I'm not discounting any of the other answers. I don't have asthma so don't know how it feels. I hope it never happens again, too. Have your doctor check you out, k?

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
polar blast
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for polar blast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it was bitter cold this morning in nyc..I was on a roof and yes it is hard to breath because we are not used to the cold air yet..dont worry you will be ok...
eric

Posts: 593 | From long island ny | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live in NY too and this wacky weather has been changing from hot to cold with no gradual progression. I need time to get used to weather changes.

Darnedest thing is, tonight is in the twenties but their forecasting much warmer weather over the next few days. Wish it would stay one way or the other.

Visited my sister in Minneapolis once and went outside when it was twenty-five below zero. My lungs just stopped and everything in my nose froze. Wearing a scarf over nose and mouth is imperative there. Might work here too?

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clpgotlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clpgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dan,
I have this, too. I think it is a Lyme or Babs symptom for me because it started about the same time I was infected.

I am 47 and never had asthma before I was bitten. I walk dogs part-time and sometimes use an inhaler before I go out on really cold days. Mols also affects me this way.
Cindy

--------------------
Cindy

Posts: 227 | From VA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DolphinLady
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6275

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DolphinLady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reminder: Lyme loves the cold. Take precautionary measures when possible.
Posts: 925 | From California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first winter on abx, I had such a hard time catching my breath...

At one point, a clerk in the mall was asking me if I needed an ambulance. At first, her question confused me, but then I heard myself panting.

also, I couldn't get warm, not with blankets or hot baths, not with hot tea or gloves. I shook through most of the winter.

Both those symptoms faded wtih treatment for Lyme and co-infections.

It does get better; just hang in there!

Andie

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement