LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » NEURO LYME-DRUGS THT CROSS BLOOD BRAIN BARRIER

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: NEURO LYME-DRUGS THT CROSS BLOOD BRAIN BARRIER
i want help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9786

Icon 2 posted      Profile for i want help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I WAS DIAG WITH NEURO LYME AND AM ON BIAXIN AND PLAQUENIL. I SEEM TO BE GETTING WORSE AFTER APPROX. ONE MONTH SINCE I ADDED THE PLAQ TO THE BIAXIN. MY NEXT STEP WAS TO ADD AVELOX, THEN MEPRON, BUT HAD REACTION TO COMBO WITH AVELOX (THOUGH TOOK IT ALONE OK) HAVE NOT ADDED MEPRON YET.

SEE DOC IN JANUARY. DO THESE DRUGS CROSS THE BLOOD BRAIN BARRIER AND IS IT NECESSARY TO MAKE PROGRESS TO TAKE THOSE TYPES OF DRUGS, THOUGHT HERXES ONLY LASTED A FEW DAYS, FEEL WORSE AND WORSE, CAN'T EXCERCISE, HAVE NO ENERGY LIKE I USED TO, CAN'T LEAVE SOFA ESSENTIALLY. SO I AM PRETTY CONFUSED AS TO WHAT IS GOING ON.

I DID WELL ON ZITHROMAX ALONE, THEN FOLLOWED UP WITH CEFTIN WHICH ALSO SEEMED TO HELP OVER SUMMER.... DOC WANTS TO FOLLOW THIS PATH LAST WE TALKED ..WILL BRING THIS UP TO HIM AT NEXT VISIT BUT IN THE MEANTIME I AM CONFINED TO HOUSE WHICH IS HORRIFYING.
ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
THANKS
KRISTIN

Posts: 225 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i want help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9786

Icon 2 posted      Profile for i want help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no one knows or has any suggestions?????
[Frown] [Frown]
kristin [confused]

Posts: 225 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gopats
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gopats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know how to answer your questions. But my herxes last as long as 6 weeks. Sometimes they are so severe, doc tells me to take a few days off and detox. I'm sure someone will come along soon that can answer your questions.
Posts: 298 | From Maine | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i want help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for i want help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks
kristin [dizzy] [dizzy]

luvdogs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9507

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvdogs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kristen,

I have posted similarly to this post in the past. Do a search in medical questions for "best brain abx, brain sx symptoms abx antibiotics, highway driving abx" etc.. all different combinations of those words. You will get many people who responded to me and many others regarding this topic.

I am not sure what to say about the biaxin and plaquenil, but I do know that whe I went on that combo when I was first sick it made me soooooo mental! My PMS consisted of me screaming and crying and feeling like I was losing my mind - and even without the pms I was generally crazy on that combo. But, in retrospect, I think it helped me tremendously.

I have recently been on zithromax IV (similar) plus biaxin and that too has helped me reagin a lot of mental functioning. I have been driving on the highway for the first time in years!

I believe the plaquenil starts busting cysts at about 6 weeks and that could make for a more constant herx, as opposed to the biaxin which might be the "few day a month" type by itself. Biaxin also is much more potent with the plaquenil bc of the higher intracellular penetration and so that can make herxes worse.

Many abx are do not seem to give the few day a month type of herx - I would really talk to your doctor about these things to put your mind at ease, and to make sure you are not having a bad reaction to the meds.

But I do know that my experience was fairly constant hexing and lessened with time on that combo. And in the long run helped me tremendously.

Good luck and keep faith. And do a search for people's input on abx combos. But I am sure your LLMD (I presume) has an idea of the course he/she is taking even if it doesn't match what everybody says helped them.

Sara

Posts: 588 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
i want help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for i want help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks! that makes sense... this is about time on plaq..just finishing first bottle so must be about 4 weeks though skipped some doses for a while so maybe more.. good to hear that herxes can last longer because this is mind boggling and my family is wondering why im worse than better so they doubt the treatment plan been out of work long enough though it took me long time to get diagnosis... so just started treatement in october..
kristin

caat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Biaxin does NOT cross the bbb
Tetrocycline does NOT cross the bbb
Omnicef does NOT cross the bbb suficiently
bicillian does NOT cross the bbb

Zithromax is not found in brain/spinal fluid BUT IT IS found in brain tissue- it DOES get through to the brain

Plaquenil DOES cross the bbb HOWEVER isn't usually used alone. It is rumored to help biaxin cross the bbb but I'm not sure there is sufficient research to say for sure.

Ceftin DOES cross the bbb (I liked ceftin a lot- I had neuro-lyme)

Doxycycline Does cross the bbb in HIGH DOSES- for example 400mg. BUT it does NOT cross in suficient amounts in lower doses like 200mg

Rocephin DOES cross the bbb- very very well.

Flagyl Does cross the bbb (sometimes added to rocephin!! It's used for the cyst (egg) phase in the life cycle of lyme)

Tinidazole DOES cross the bbb (sometimes added to rocephin!! It's used for the cyst (egg) phase in the life cycle of lyme)

Other people see this differently but I personally beleive it is very very important for drugs to cross the bbb in nuerolyme.

Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Travlr1
Member # 9681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
caat,

I do agree that it is very important in neurolyme that the abx. cross the bbb. Otherwise how does the abx. kill the bugs living aross the wall throwing the party [confused] . Although a llmd I really trust says there is some controversy concerning this.

One difference was Ceftin did nothing for me, yet Rocephin did. [Big Grin]

Travlr1

Posts: 66 | From West Coast | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChrisBtheLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8916

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChrisBtheLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many people say that Azithromycin/Zithromax does NOT get into the Brian - I have found quite a few articles that say it does.
It can be used to treat Ocular Toxoplasmosis.

http://bjo.bmj.com/cgi/reprint/82/11/1306.pdf
"We consider Azithromycin for the treatment of Ocular toxoplasmosis because of its availability and limited toxicity and because it crosses the blood-brain barrier and appears to be widely distributed to the brain tissue."

Roxithromycin can also cross the blood brain barrier, better than Azithromycin.
http://www.aegis.com/pubs/atn/1989/ATN07501.html

Minocycline, Doxycycline, Flagyl, Tinidazole, Ceftin, Cipro, Roxi and probably quite a few others can cross the BBB.
And of course quite a few I.V ABX.

Posts: 263 | From UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey- all the antibiotics I'm on cross the brain barrier-that's why I've progressed from Deadhead to Sh!thead to Webhead. [Big Grin]
Not sure what comes next...

Carol B

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lioness
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lioness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I herxed pretty bad on the Plaquenil. I was taking Biaxin too.

It lasted a few months straight. Then it tapered off slowly and I would have good days.

Posts: 240 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caat
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2321

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Travlr1,

I used ceftin right after rocephin; did 1 month of rocephin/flagyl followed by 4 or 5 weeks of ceftin/tini. Maybe that made a difference. Rocephin is certainly stronger and more effective.

I really do think that combo got rid of the lyme itself. Now I'm working on co-infections.

Posts: 1436 | From Humboldt county ca usa | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement