LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Power PICC with StatLock - - - HELP!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Power PICC with StatLock - - - HELP!
lymex5&counting
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymex5&counting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay I am going to try to take a deep breath,

since I am so close to calling and just going

pletely off about this expensive creation. (Not

sure who would really listen) Anyway

now that I am over the shock of what each week of

dressing change is going to cost, not to mention

the fact it sounds like I will be unable to do

it myself. And I am not sure I trust any family

members to take on the StatLock I am so

frustrated I still cannot find an extention that

fits. The Pharmacy 80 miles away has just made a

2nd delivery to me and it still doesn't fit. Does

anyone know? I need the extention so I can infuse

myself without almost ripping it out and not

having to keep scheduling around a nurse coming

2x's a day and having to clear a path from all

the kids crap to get in the door.

Thanks! I know if anyone can help. You can.

Lyme x 9

Anyone that has any other suggestions please let me know.

For once a week change:
StatLock $10
cap $4.25
extention? can't find what fits.
sterile kit $5.19
Nurse out of pocket $8
plus flushes.

Posts: 399 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Normally they add the extension tube at the end of the statlock right when they line is put in. At least they did for me and then I was able to infuse. My extension was changed 1 per week when the nurse came in to change dressing and to take weekly blood draws.
Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leogrl54
Member # 10770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leogrl54     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey girtl,

take that deep breath.

my experience working infusion in az and mt is that stat locks can be removed. if it will help with the cost, you might be able to talk the home health nurse into it. they are there for you!! you can be determined and get it done. you don't need a stat lck. your PICC will be stable> the drsg change may seem overwhelming< But it can be done by a family member. remember clean, clean, clean.

remember i am not a doctor. this info comes from my 12 yrs experience as an infusion rn

Posts: 76 | From Kalispell, Montana | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leogrl54
Member # 10770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leogrl54     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry, back again.

jonny is right. the extension should be attached to the end of the PICC. does it really go directly into the stat lock or does it have an end that can take an extension?

talk to your home health nurse. they sould be able to figure out a cheaper way to do your meds.

Posts: 76 | From Kalispell, Montana | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymex5&counting
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7202

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymex5&counting     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't even care about the cost of the stuff at this point.

I will keep my stat lock. And no the hospital wouldn't put an extention in for me. And couldn't tell me where to buy one.

Luckily I have a pharmacy that is really nice but I am frustrated. The 1st extention tube sent. Had one Luer lok end and the other was that rubbery yellow stuff that you can stick a needle in.

The 2nd one was luer lok on both ends.

But I think what I need is luer lok on one end. and the opposite of luer lok on the other.

Do you know what that is called?

Thanks! If I knew the technical name for the fitting I could probably get it handled.

So is the luer lok male ? female ? I can't even think right now!

Lyme x 9

Posts: 399 | From Texas | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymex5&counting
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7202

Sorry leogrl I didn't answer your question. The StatLock is under the clear dressing with the

lumen coming out with the clip attached to it

then it screws into the valve cap. So I need to

take off the valve cap and screw a luer lok end

with extention tube into the lumen but beable to

put the cap on the other end so I need a fitting

that looks just like the lumen tube end. Does it

have a name to that kind of fitting?

Thanks.

You called me girtl. I laughed.

Travlr1
Member # 9681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymex,

I have heard of a pt.(not myself) that used I believe what was a long curved hemostat(available at many medical supply store;sometimes called a kelly) to allow herself to get the hook up done by herself.

A layperson can definitely be taught how to do the dressing change(my wife)as the removal in you house of the old dressing is actually a "clean" procedure.That is only the taking off the old dressing part.Since I'm a germ freak [loco] so we treated the whole procedure as sterile.

The stat-lock is only one of several options of securing the line.

One I used is called by nurses a "chevron" with sterile steri-strips that absolutely secured the line and are less expensive than weekly stat locks.(turn the steri strip stickyside up- go underneath the line so both end are equidistant and cross each end over the line and across each other forming a sort of x with one end being a closed loop where it crosses over the line.

Depending on your line it may have a tab with holes in it. Have your MD suture(only to little pokes )the line in. Makes dressing changes a breeze. [Cool] Private message me if you have any questions. I believe this is the best option for ease of dressing change and preventing line migration. [Big Grin]

Travlr1 [Smile]

[ 18. December 2006, 04:54 AM: Message edited by: Travlr1 ]

Posts: 66 | From West Coast | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmyInMI
Member # 9506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmyInMI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

I just got my PICC placed about 4 weeks ago. My hospital is one of very few in the area that use STAT locks to secure your PICC under the dressing, mainly because they are $7.00 a piece (hospital's cost).

Your stat lock should be changed once a week, along with your sterile PICC dressing changes. It is not necessary that you use the STAT lock. You can use steristrips or tape to secure it well under the Tegaderm if needed.

As far as the extension piece goes, it sounds like you need a 19" IV extension with clave cap. One end is the female lure lock and the other has a bigger rubber end that is compatable with the saline & heparin syringes.

I got one extension put on my PICC tubing when I got the PICC placed, and my infusion company sends me them because they also need to be changed once a week.

Your family should be able to handle the dressing changes if necessary. Just make sure they use sterile technique and clean the site very well with Chloroprep or alcohol very well before applying the new tegaderm/dressing cover.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
Amy

Posts: 73 | From just outside of Lansing, MI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement