LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » gallstones from rocephin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: gallstones from rocephin
lymeinnh
Member # 10454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinnh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all... feeling very frustrated and deflated!

Have had lyme for 10-15 yrs. Recently have been on rocephin: 2 months through picc line, and now just under 2 more months through port-a-cath.

Have noticed a great improvement the past month in my energy.

I had my monthly ultrasound today... voila... gallstones!

Now being switched to Clarafan.

What to do about gallstones?!?!?!
[bonk]

Posts: 33 | From Lebanon, NH | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actigall (ursadiol) and patience (9 months)cleared the stones and sludge caused by rocephin for me.

however, i developed other gallstones and chronic upper right quadrant pain in the 4 years after that and just had my gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago. bye bye green buddy....dont miss it yet!

I would try the actigall first, but if having unrelieved pain or continuing problems or symtpoms....dont hesitate to get it taken out by a good surgeon.

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had GB out after 3 months of rocephin. I was getting lost of pain under rib and "attacks" so it came out.

Piece of cake surgury...the prob I am having is that claforan kicked my butt and I had to switch to zith iv...this is giving me the runs and major herxing.

good luck to you hang in there and if you have gb pain don't be afraid to take it out...now I am not afraid to eat anymore

Best,
Kim

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmyInMI
Member # 9506

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmyInMI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for starting this thread! I am very interested in learning more about GB issues associated with IV Rocephin.

My LLMD started me on IV Rocephin via a PICC 4 weeks ago. Prior to the Rocephin, I had some rt. upper quadrant pain off and on. I just had an ultrasound of my GB a week ago and go for a hydascan on Thursday.

Other than the RUQ pain, did anyone experience any other symptoms? I have been VERY nausus lately and am starting to have some other GI issues (I'll spare the details).

If you could, I would like to hear more from others regarding this issue.

Thanks,
Amy

Posts: 73 | From just outside of Lansing, MI | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gall bladder was pretty healthy before lyme - About 3 monht before going on IV rochepine I aksed my LLMD about the clark liver/gall flush. You know the one that you take the 1/2cup of olive oil and grapefruit juice.

So I did 2 of these under his care before rochepine, just to see what might be in there along with knowing that after a number of months of ABX and some parasite cleanses that it might be a good idea to clean out a bit.

The flushes went smoothly and did get a lot of green and brown stones out. the whole liver area felt so good after these.

Then on my 3rd week of rochepine started to get a lot of GI upset and congestion in the liver area. LLMD said to do another flush. Went great, a lot of slug and more stones came out. I ended up doing a flush every 3 weeks during my whole time on rocephine - no problems and it saved my gall bladder, kept my liver enzymes down, and really felt good to do these.

I swear by them now and do one about every 3 months now.

Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monica
Member # 224

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monica     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two and a half months of Rocephin gave me horrible pain. I had my GB removed. Surgeon told me it was diseased -- not just gallstones, so it's hard to say whether it was bad before the IV or not.
Posts: 1757 | From Somerset County, NJ | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gambler
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gambler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two weeks of rocephin gave me horrible pain. Not able to move.

Stopped and now on Primaxin. Still on Actigall.

Posts: 243 | From chicago | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinnh
Member # 10454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinnh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for the responces! I haven't been able to get to this page in the past few days, I'm glad it's working again!

I haven't had any severe pains yet, just GI issues. My LLMD hasn't prescribed any ABX or flushes to try to remove the stones... just says to give them time.

I'll see what happens! Thanks again, and goodluck to all!

Posts: 33 | From Lebanon, NH | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are many LLMDs who will not put patients on IV Rocephin without Actigall to protect the gallbladder.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
actigall is not an antibiotic. It helps disolve stones that are made of certain compounds. It can not disolve all stones--but seems to work reasonably well with the ones caused by rocephin. It does take several months on this medicine to completely resolve stones and issues.
Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement