LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Bactrim for Lyme???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bactrim for Lyme???
nancyf723
Member # 7505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nancyf723     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD started me on Bactrim & Doxy. I have not heard of anyone taking Bactrim for Lyme.

Has anyone been on this protocol, if so was it effective?
thanks
nancy

Posts: 69 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laurie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My nephew did extremely well with a combo of Septra (same as Bactrim -- sulfa antibiotic) and Spectrocef (similar to Omnicef). He was changed after about 3 months to Doxy and Omnicef (Spectracef hard to obtain; also doc felt he didn't need sulfa drug any longer since was rx'd for Bart). He did NOT do all that great. We felt Septra was, in fact, the "missing link." But doc still thinks otherwise. Was able to obtain some Spectracef and still on Doxy. Better, but not as before. Please let me know also, if you get replies regarding Bactrim or Septra.
Posts: 459 | From Connecticut - just across the river from the Lymes (Old Lyme, Hadlyme, East Lyme, South Lyme & Lyme) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
three things that worked for me that are not
lyme protocol.
my llmd is a great guy and gives me any abx or med i need ,if i want to try combo's.

newest combo cleared everything for month now.
bactrum ds
acyclovir antiviral
vfend antifungal
also on plaquenil and biaxin xl

the thing that really cleared my head and body, without a herx even was vfend for 6 weeks.

i think many lymies with lots of abx, kill indigenous bacteria in the body.
this causes a superinfection of the remaining
flora in the body.
one is candida, yeast , which always will come with long term abx.
most docs don't take this into account.
systemic yeast is the thing that makes you feel like atruck hit you.

also herpes, ebv and other virues must also be kept at bay.

so ,my theory on lyme treatment, it worked on me
at least for a month.

docdave

[ 26. December 2006, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: stymielymie ]

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many years ago before I knew I had Lyme I took Bactrim for something I caught.

It made me really sick and I did not feel "normal" again for many months. I thought I was allergic to the Bactrim. It gave me rashes, severe pain in the soles of my feet, ankle pain, extreme fatigue, chills, sweats....

I felt exactly the same way when I started heavy duty Lyme treatment. A light bulb went off! I now beleive I was herxing when I took Bactrim many years back. Of course I didn't know what herxing was and didn't know I had Lyme. So, yes I believe Bactrim kills Lyme.

hatsnscarfs

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
charlie
Member # 25

Icon 6 posted      Profile for charlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just bumped up an old thread on the subject...if you do a search under my member#(25) with subject 'Bactrim' you'll come up with all sorts of stuff.

Charlie

Posts: 2804 | From Texas | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bpeck
Member # 3235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bpeck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted back in 2002 or 2003 about my experiences with Bactrim. It was part of a 3 abx combo I was on. And it was only after monotherapy of several other abx leading up to the triple combo.

Definitely need to watch some of these sulfa drugs- some people are sensitive to them.

Barb

Posts: 1875 | From VT | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure if it works good for lyme? My LLMD prescribed it for Babesia treatment. (not alone, but in combo with other abx) I started out taking it for bladder problems and I noticed it helped other symptoms.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Bactrim too!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jif
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jif     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
took a ten day course to try to help wiht abdominal pain due to posible uti

athritis like pain went away, and dysthasias (is taht the right word, bzzing and nervy stuff) were at bay

but felt just beat up tired and weak and didn't wnat to continue with it w/out a plan

this was about a month ago and i do wonder about it

and would like to revist it and continue to hear about other's experiences

jif

Posts: 208 | From Santa Fe | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will NEVER EVER take Bactrim or any other sulpha drug anymore.

I started my Lyme treatment with Doxy. It made me much worse, but after stopping the doxy I felt better within a couple of days.

Then I had another combo of clarithromycin and augmentin. It made me better.

THEN I was supposed to take 10 days of Batrim and Metronidazole. But already after 8 days I was so weak, tired and with zero energy that I had to stop it.

At that time I thought it was a giant herx from the Metro but it took me at least 5 months to recover from it. Today I know that I can overcome a herx in a few days - not in months.

Afterwards, I had lots of other abx and by the end of 2005 I was doing pretty good. Unfortunately, I got an UTI then, and my gyn precribed me Bactrim and afterwards another sulpha abx as the UTI didn't go away.

Within a few days I felt extremely bad again and this feeling persisted more or less until May 06.

I don't understand what the Bactrim is doing to me but I know it spoiled about ONE YEAR of my treatment.

On the website of a doctor who is treating Rickettsia and similar infections it is stated that patients should avoid sulpha drugs by any means as it had been demonstrated in guinea pig experiments that sulpha drugs promote the growth of Rickettsia.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laurie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHAT?????? Gotta know what that website is!!!!

Anyway, you CAN get a certain flu-like reaction to sulfa abx even if you don't have Lyme -- a friend of mine was taking it for bronchitis and toward the end of the regimen (only 10 days or so) he developed a fever, hives, felt very ill. We went to the local Clinic and that's where we learned that this is a phenomenon that sometimes happens with sulfa drugs, and would probably happen to him again, so he should avoid them.

But it's not a typical reaction or even a very common one.

What website Gabrielle??!! Sounds like important info.

Posts: 459 | From Connecticut - just across the river from the Lymes (Old Lyme, Hadlyme, East Lyme, South Lyme & Lyme) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laurie,

it is this website:

http://www.chronicfatiguesyndrome.tv/

Go to FAQ's

Check Question no. 15:

Q--) Are there any prescription medications that should not be taken by rickettsia patients?
A--) The sulpha group, as they enhance the growth of rickettsia in guinea pigs
So does magnesium. Vitamin A and E are to be avoided because of their tendency to produce intra cranial micro-hemorrhages.

The father of this doctor was a famous Rickettsia researcher in Belgium and she is carrying on his work - so I trust she knows what she is talking about.

She has also treated a number of Lyme patients with good results and I'm on her protocol right now (prescribed by my own doctor).

But if your nephew was doing good on Bactrim then I wouldn't worry - maybe he has no Rickettsia.

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 159

I thought Rickettsia was a general name for tick-borne illnesses. My doc's notes from my bout say "could be rickettsial illness from a tick bite." (And of course he was right.)

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement