LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Oregano Oil Is Amazing !! Does It Kill Lyme?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oregano Oil Is Amazing !! Does It Kill Lyme?
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had chronic probllems with yeast , sinus infections and sore chest with ears that feel constantly full of water .

Having tried everything I could think of , I considered oregano oil , knowing it might be effective if yeast is causing the sinus issues .

After taking oregano oil capsules ( NOW brand )
for two days , I CAN BREATHE . My head feels so much lighter . My ears feel MUCH better . I can not believe the results .

This is oreganum vulgare a wild and potent oregano . ( I bought the NOW brand at Drug Emporium ) . It has anti bacterial and anti fungal properties , due to its content of a chemical called " carvacrol " and thymol" .

I am also wondering about its ability to kill lyme , because I Feel like I am taking very VERY strong ABX ( HERX ) about an hour after taking the oregano oil capsule.

I have been enormously frustrated with ear/ sinus / chest and yeast problems . This oregano oil has impressed me in a major way because nothing else helped me.

Does anyone think it could kill lyme? I read some studies that say it could kill E coli .

I wish someone else would try it and see if they are as impressed as I am .

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mo
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2863

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Mo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
some say it can. the same who say that reccommend turkish oregano, super potent - so we're talking a matter of a number of drops per day, max. you have to start slow, and remember it will also kill good flora in the digestive tract, so you must replenish effectively (a formidable task in-and-of itself, more complicated and imperative than one might think! using poweful herbs like this (or abx) if your colon, kidney, liver are not clear and clearing, you will not get far, as the 'debris' will be considerable).

cass ingrahm's book, a little paperback called
'The Cure is in the Cupboard' is a good investment (just a few bucks) if you are considering working with oregano.

mo

Posts: 8337 | From the other shore | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John292
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John292     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible to Herx from good bateria die off? Does oil of oregano REALLY kill good bacteria?

--------------------
Nov-08 NutraMedix, BurBur Pinella WORKS, Japanese Knotweed, d-Lenolate, ALC, Was on Salt/C 1.5 yrs ended in 06
My brain is working better!!

Feeling very good now [Smile]

Posts: 182 | From Northern, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Areneli
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6740

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Areneli     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oregano kills Lyme? NO
Posts: 1538 | From Planet Earth | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi JG

You will get a herx from yeast dying off
just like when Bactira dies off--

oil of Oregano is perty effective--
has worked well for me too--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jennifer,

All of the essential oils, including oil of oregano, are potent medicinals.

I think oil of oregano is particularly good for yeast and fungal issues, and it also has antibacterial properties.

I have used essential oils as a major part of my recovery process from Lyme. I have used them both externally and internally.

I personally found oregano a little too harsh for my system for long term use, and I didn't find it did as much for me for Lyme specifically.

But there are a lot of different strains of Lyme and a lot of different co-infections associated with it, so each person is somewhat different.

I used a combination of frankincense, eucalyptus, thyme, lavender, geranium, and patchouli, primarily externally, but I also started taking a diluted version internally by the drop, and I was able to substitute this for long term antibiotics after a couple of months.

The essential oils do have antibacterial properties, and I found them to be crucial in my recovery process.

You can do a search on some of my previous posts if you want to know more.

Farah

Posts: 208 | From New Mexico | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for answering. I have never read that oil of oregano had efficacy specifically with lyme, but the herx I am having makes me think it just might . It really feels like I swallowed a keg of ABX .

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, can attest to the effectiveness of Oil of Oregano for killing at least some bugs.

Sometime in November, both I and my boyfriend starting having loose stools and/or bouts of near-diarrhea. This is almost unheard of for me since I'm usually constipated.

I put us on a 2-week regimen of Oil of Oregano gelcaps twice a day (just 2 gelcaps a day - think it was Solary brand).

Within 5 days, no more loose stools for either of us! My boyfriend is completely back to normal.

Unfortunately, I immediately got totally plugged up and have stayed that way, so now have to deal with that issue.

I didn't know it killed friendly flora in the GI tract, but I have to assume it does after what has happened to me. And I have been taking Activia every morning all during the Oregano treatment, and it didn't help.

Dang. Maybe I should have kept the nasty little GI bug that started this whole mess.

Also, my live-blood-analysis guy says that 2 weeks of these Oil of Oregano gelcaps will kill the parsites in your blood, too.

This is powerful stuff. The gelcaps are very convenient. Just make sure you replenish your system with probiotics after the Oregano!

This might be good stuff to take with you to Mexico or other areas where GI bugs are plentiful.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonja
Member # 10871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi there,

we are a family of 5 and are all affected by Lyme. I was diagnosed with MS and Trigeminal Neuralgia [bonk] , but a Bowen Test showed a very high borrelia population.
Here is our story: http://www.wickenburgsun.com:80/articles/2006/12/20/news/news001.txt

Anyways, I received a lot of response to that article and one of the people trying to help us is currently on Cass Ingram's Protocol treating with Oil of Oregano and has improved a lot. I'm tempted to try it myself, she sounded sooo convincing.
Apparently, Oregano can heal Lyme.

Just wanted to pass this on,

Sonja

Posts: 35 | From Arizona | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

sonya,

Is the person you mention treating lyme disease with oregano oil? Is she using any other drugs or supplements /

I have never had a herx as intense as the one after the oregano oil. I suspect it does kill lyme, but who knows for sure .

Thanks for sharing your story and I hope you ALL get better !

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sonja, thanks for sharing your story. It must have been quite a shock to many people in Arizona.

Do you know which Cass Ingram Protocol your friend is on? It appears that there are several protocols, and several books.

Perhaps your friend would come to LymeNet and post her progress with Oregano and Lyme at some point?

It is always good to hear about different treatments, both alternative and conventional.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JG: Oil of Oregano is strong stuff. I felt very ill when I first started using it. Had to back off a bit. Because of the herx reaction I got, my PCP was able to detect co-infections, which I was subsequently tested and treated for. I do think it stirs things up.

Tracy: Activa is very high in sugar. This could be why you are plugged up. My MD recommended it but then said no after reading the label. You might want to try plain, 0 sugar yogurt and add stevia and fruit or nuts instead. Just a suggestion.

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susiecv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susiecv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did a search on here & found the Oregacyn P73 capsules recommended -think I may need some reinforcements after all the holiday goodies [Frown]
Are they effective solo or only in combination with rx's for yeast?

Anyone try just one a day with good results? Prefer the minamalist approach...and sounds like some have had nasty herxes...
Sue

Posts: 249 | From finger lakes, ny | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

I took three ( NOW brand capsules in one day)
and that was too much for me . The die off was
worse than ANY ABX I have had .

You might try one a day . It needs to be the Vulgare oregano . It is always better to start low .

TRACY , ALOE VERA JUICE ( 1/2 cup a day ) mixed with another juice is a FANTASTIC way to avoid constipation. It really works , and aloe has many beneficial properties you can read about .

I drink the aloe with red grape juice because the red grape juice has major heart benefits ( flavanoids like red wine ) .

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken Oregano oil, *Oregano vulgare* and herxed from it.

I have also taken Fungal Defense, by Garden of Life.

The fungal defense has Syrian Oregano in it as well as Olive Leaf Extract and Garlic. I herxed so bad from that stuff I had to stop. I did start it again later at smaller dosages, it is still hard to tolerate.
As hard as it was to take it did help me to get where I am today, along with abx etc.

Interesting thread. [Wink]

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't take a lot of supplements because of additives in them. Can somebody who has a bottle of Now brand or Solaray brand Oregano Oil let me know what the other ingredients are in it?
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betty Moore
Member # 10877

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Betty Moore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes works great on yeast,don't know about the lyme,its one nasty bugger.
Posts: 15 | From New Castle,Pa. | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonja
Member # 10871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I have to go to bed early, so my replies often take a while. This is, what information I received:

The Lyme Protocol that we are on is quite simple..
North American Herb and Spice Company makes a P-73 brand of Oregano Oil and products.. You must take the P-73, as it is the only Oregano that has all of the testing and cures!
We take the following:
Superstrength Oregano Oil .. 1 dropperful 2-3 x daily
Neuroloft Essence (juice) 1 ounce 2x daily
Oreganol P-73 jucie 1 ounce 2x dailly
Oregamax Capsules (whole herb) 3 2-3x daily
The kids can use this too.. I give my 8 year old 6-8 drops under the tongue ( like us)
once a day.. and 1/2 ounces of both juices.. no oregamax, as she can not swallow them..

Don't just buy any Oil of Oregano. I just started studying Ingram's book and there are differences.
This is not the first time, a certain manufacturer is necessary to get the full benefit from a product, so buy it from North American Herb and Spice Company.

Hope, this helps,

Sonja

Posts: 35 | From Arizona | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonja
Member # 10871

Hi all,

I have to go to bed early, so my replies often take a while. This is, what information I received:

The Lyme Protocol that we are on is quite simple..
North American Herb and Spice Company makes a P-73 brand of Oregano Oil and products.. You must take the P-73, as it is the only Oregano that has all of the testing and cures!
We take the following:
Superstrength Oregano Oil .. 1 dropperful 2-3 x daily
Neuroloft Essence (juice) 1 ounce 2x daily
Oreganol P-73 jucie 1 ounce 2x dailly
Oregamax Capsules (whole herb) 3 2-3x daily
The kids can use this too.. I give my 8 year old 6-8 drops under the tongue ( like us)
once a day.. and 1/2 ounces of both juices.. no oregamax, as she can not swallow them..

Don't just buy any Oil of Oregano. I just started studying Ingram's book and there are differences.
This is not the first time, a certain manufacturer is necessary to get the full benefit from a product, so buy it from North American Herb and Spice Company.

Hope, this helps,

Sonja

micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the book by Dr Cass Ingram that has his protocols for various health problems that oil of oregano might be useful. There is no claim that it kills Bb, Bart, or babs.

It does have a table in the back with a list of organisms that oil of oregano has proven to destroy in in vitro testing. Lyme and co inf are not included.

Be careful with it. I have found it to be very hard on the liver (yet I don't have any problems with Artemisinin even at high doses). It does help in some way, but it's effect may just be due to it's antifugal activity. It didn't even come close to curing my lyme, Bart, or babs after 2 yrs of use.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ladylee210
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ladylee210     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jenn and others

Last month I was very sick with bronch. coughing so much and the nasal passages were very bad as well.

In looking to give my respiratory tract a boost - I took Oregacillin from the Herbal Healer Academy - the cost is 25.00 plus shipping. I have used this company for a very long time - therefore receiving the newsletter which always contains "new things" - this produdt was one of them.

I was also on a very high dose of steriods (as I could not open in chest and nose -(only taking them for 3/4 days) plus 1st Biaxin and then Z pack and onto Leaquin )altogether this bug took about 4 weeks to rid and it was one of the worst I had had.

During that time I felt very Lymie and or yeasty (as yeast can react like Lyme)....I felt like I was herxing to no end.

I did not add the oregacillin in until about the 3rd week of it all - I continued to herx real bad - at the time I did not know what was making me herx - but I felt it.

Now that I'm thinking about it - it could have been the oregacillin.

As I'm posting this - I too have chronic sinus problems (when yeast is active) which it seems to be lately - I just pulled out my bottle and took one and it has seemed to help some.

I wanted to share with you all what the bottle says on the back....

Oregacillin is the most powerful oregano & spice extract available for maximum immune support.

Oregacillin is made from natural herbs and spices, including p73 wild oregano blend.

Georgetown University and independant laboratory research prove that oregacillin kills a wide range of germs, including bacteria, viruses, and fungi.

It is also a powerful antioxidant which helps protect all cells from toxic damage,

The antioxidant properties of oregacillin are far more potent then Vit E.

So with all that said and now thinking of what has been posted - I think it's worth a try if one chooses.

I took only one pill a day as it is recommended - I have been off for about 2 weeks now - the herxing is gone.

Now that I'm not on meds for cold any longer - I think I may try it again and see if I herx like I did. I will let you all know.

The other ingred. in this brand are - P73 450 mg, wild mountain sage, cumin (high mountain blend).

I do not sell any of these products from this company - as it is a mail order company of itself - I have had only good results with there products.

Does anyone have the price on the "now brand" and what's in it?

Posts: 374 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ladylee210
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ladylee210     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HMMMMM = I'm wondering now as well if one can simply make a tea out of regular oregano that we use to cook with.

Use a strainer and pour hot water over it into a cup?????

Wonder what that will do?

Posts: 374 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ladylee210
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9945

Oh yes I forgot while I was waiting for this product to come in - I went to my regular health food store and they had something very similiar to what's in this product.

Not sure of the price or the name of it - however I will find out tomorrow when I go there.

MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
how are you guys distinguishing between a bad episode being a herx, versus just 'feeling bad' for some other reason? I"m not saying that I doubt that it's effective for some infections (I've heard about it for candida) but do you feel like can you tell whether it's a Lyme herx, a Candida die-off of some kind, or something bad about the oregano itself that makes you feel bad after taking it?

Mark

[ 29. December 2006, 10:35 PM: Message edited by: MariaA ]

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Maria,

It is hard to differentiate most of the time .
I will say that I have never had herx symptoms this intense on ABX . It is hard to imagine that the die off was simply from yeast .

The NOW brand oregano oil was about 8 dollars at Drug Emporium.

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Anneke
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anneke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I used Oregano Oil for awhile, and it really did a number on my stomach. I have heard of others with this problem as well. I ended up having to stop it, and get on an anti-acid med to help heal the lining of my stomach.

Good luck!

Posts: 364 | From California | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Thanks beachcomber - you may be right about the sugar. Frankly, dairy products in general tend to plug me up, too, so only eat an ounce or two of the stuff.

I started the Activia thing only because I started giving it to my dog on my vet's recommendation. My dog won't eat the no-sugar varieties of yogurt, etc. Well, my dog's GI issues improved SO much, that now I give everybody in the house a mix of Activia/yogurt in the morning - including the cat (although he gets picky at times about it).

Ah, Jennifer - thanks - you are right about the Aloe Vera Juice! I wish I had remembered to try that 2 weeks ago! Dang Lyme-brain anyway. I always keep a quart of George's Aloe Vera Juice under my sink - tastes just like spring water so you don't have to mix it with anything. But if I try to take it every day to maintain `regularity', after about 3 days, it quits working. And so does anything else I try on a long-term basis (except fiber, which does help most of the time.)

Tailz, I looked at my bottle. I was wrong - the brand I used this time was Nature's Answer and I got it from Vitacost - about $7.00 for 90 softgels.

It says it is Oil of Oregano (Origanum vulgare) - 150 mg. - in a base of extra virgin olive oil, guaranteed to contain a minimum of 7 mg. of carvocrol (whatever that is). The only other ingredients are gelatin and glycerin, and it says it is free of synthetic ingredients.

Thanks for posting the protocol, Sonja. Yikes! Seems like a heck of a lot of Oregano to me. (?)

I never noticed any herxing while taking the Nature's Answer product for 2 weeks, and neither did my boyfriend (he also tested positive for Lyme). We each took a total of 2 gelcaps a day. I just had my usual ups and downs with GI and other body issues. Then the constipation thing set in, but even then, I was not nearly as uncomfortable as I usually am when things aren't moving well.

Even if this stuff is only effective for controlling yeast and parasites in the blood and gut, I think I'm going to do this 2-week Oregano thing maybe 3 or 4 times a year, followed by a heavy probiotic regimen for a couple of weeks. Maybe it will give my body fewer things to deal with on the microbial front.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement