LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mepron for cysts?_ I'm scared

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mepron for cysts?_ I'm scared
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So doc wants me on mepron/zith500mg. He says that most lyme pts have babs but the mepron is great for cysts...

What to expect? I searched and read stuff here but help me through this please!

Scardy cat that I am...
Thanks
Kim

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kim,

I have not heard that Mepron was good for cysts, but that is good to know. [Wink]

I did not take Mepron, but Malarone which has the Mepron in it. All I can say is..go for it. I hope it works as good for you as it did for me. Babesia treatment gave me a life. I did herx from it, but then I felt so much better..mentally and physically.

Hang in there, maybe you will feel so much better faster than ever. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. [Wink]
Let us know how you do.

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this is second time on Mepron...no problems. To let you know fat helps the body metabolize it.

I love bacon so I'm glad to be put on Mepron.
Have an excuse to eat that. Can have nuts, or ice cream etc. instead.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docjen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kim:

I was on Mepron for about 4 months for babs and lyme. I got a really good herx from it, but it definitely helped. (I always say that it hurts so good...because I would rather feel lousy now and clear it up, than have it get progressively worse for years!) I developed resistance after 4 months and had to switch, but it cleared up some of the CNS stuff.

You definitely need to take it with fat because you will feel lousy if you don't. I would literally take a bite of ice cream or cheese, take a spoonful of Mepron, and take another bite of ice cream.

Good luck! You will make it!

Posts: 393 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks guys,

how many days into it should I expect to feel bad? I already feel bad now so shouldn't be too far to fall...

I guess I will take with chees since I don't eat sugar---or whole yogurt...a milkshake with whole yogurt may work...

He has me going three weeks on one off (both zith and mepron). Still haven't filled the script yet so I am procrastinating a bit.

Thanks again,
scardy me

--------------------

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DW213
Member # 9590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DW213     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started Mepron three weeks ago. It has not been as bad as I expected. I think my LLMD was preparing me for the worst, and was afraid if the herx was too severe that I would quit treatment. Told him that I would have quit months ago if that were the case, since I have been feeling bad since I started treatment in June!

10 grams of fat is needed with each dose. That's not always easy to manage for me. Two eggs will do. I also found a Cracker Barrel cheddar cheese stick. They are individually wrapped, and each one has 10 grams.

All in all, it has been bearable, but the taste and texture of Mepron leave a lot to be desired.

Good luck! Be brave!

Posts: 78 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Okay, so I have been brave. First at the pharmacy when I had to use Visa for the $900 bill. Then when I saw the list of potential side effects listed on the prescribing information,

Then, when I poured the vile liquid into a spoon and saw that it had the consistancy and color of cadmium lemon oil paint...

Just when I was about to spit it into the sink, my husband yelled (that would be $50 down the drain SWALLOW IT!

So I did

I never heard of 10 grams of fat but I had it with peanut butter on toast (is this okay?)

This morning, I am not feeling too bad and am trying not to scare myself into a herx but I am still afraid knowing it will come soon (probable new years day)

So thanks for the mepron support...I have officialy started my new journey and won't look back.

Hugs and slimy yellow kisses,
Kim

--------------------

www.ruggierogallery.com

DW213
Member # 9590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DW213     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi humanbeing,

I tried to PM you but your box is full. We actually see the same LLMD (I suspected that from your original post).

I started treatment with minocycline in June with a different doc, and feel I have been herxing ever since. Probably had Lyme for about 8 years. Since quitting the mino and starting Mepron and Biaxin 3 weeks ago I have not really felt any worse. Of course, some days are better than others (but none are really good!)

I know I'm on a long road, but I wish I knew how far ahead the exit is!

Posts: 78 | From Rhode Island | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jif
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jif     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just an fyi,

some people myself included, and several other that have posted have suffered from really bad depression at some point during their regimine with this drug

so just watch out and maybe plan accordingly (e.g., no work presentation, get help wiht child care, avoid famiiy reunions)

Posts: 208 | From Santa Fe | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymedesign
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedesign     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kim,

What dosage of Mepron are you on? My daughter has been on 1/2 tsp 2x daily since June. We started very slowly though finally reaching 1/2 tsp after 10 days. She tolerated this very well, no stomach problems or terrible herxing. She was feeling horrible after being on Zithromax alone for about 4 months.

Within 8-12 weeks she really, really improved. LLMD told us that it fights (don't judge too harshly here) cell wall deficient?/defiant? forms of lyme. I didn't know this when it was first prescribed, I thought it was just treating babs.

She has been sliding slowly backwards for about 6-8 weeks, so we have now added flagyl to the mix.

So, we hope and pray this does the trick!!

Good luck, The mepron has been kind to us, hopefully it will help you too!!

Posts: 263 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have read a lot of good things about Mepron, but this is one my hubby has not been on.

Is it really good for the brain fog? That is the persistent problem my husband still has.

Thanks for any info.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Badtick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Badtick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kim,

Get a membership at Costco and it will only be $740/bottle. This is where my doc said to get it. I believe we may also be seeing the same LLMD.

By the way, I had similar experience to yours. Miraculous recovery, but only mine was after 2 mos. of intense herx. There a few other things I have done that have helped also, but after 5mos. I am still doing better than ever.

Posts: 184 | From CT | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Here I am on day 7 on Mepron (1tsp twice a day). I have honestly had seven of the best days lately. Most obvious is the decrease in head pressure, eye pain, jaw pain. Thinking is clear.

Also, I feel like the elephant sitting on my chest is off and I can breath.

I am praying this continues I am coming up on my normal 28 day flare time so I will let you know.

Thanks for the depression advice (I am prone to this)

I have two docs Dr. S (gets me the IV) and Dr. P for the Mepron and direction of my abx.

Thanks for all the support!

Kim

--------------------

www.ruggierogallery.com

healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have BCBS insurance. Does it cover mepron?

I might recommend this to my doc tomorrow.....

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend and I were told to take Mepron 1 tablespoon twice a day whern we started out with LLMD - I couldn't handle it at all and that was $2000.00 right down the drain for me: why don't they give you a week's supply to start?! Future Mepron takers: you might want to ask for that, or samples if they have any. The dose went right through me - in the mouth and out to the toilet. Months later, when I was on less meds, I was able to take Mepron & keep it in me.

I managed 1 tbp. a day for 1 month, but I had psychiatric issues that developed on Mepron (and Malarone) & had to stop.
I took it this way: I had a tablespoon of peanut or almond butter ready; I poured the vile liquid into another spoon, slurped it down as fast as I could, then started on the spoonful of peanut butter. Having the PB on a spoon made it easier & faster to take.
I had greatly increased sweats & nightmares & wooziness, and then I became aware of growing depression until I knew I had to stop.

My friend (who may chime in as she is here too) reduced her intake to 1 TBP; she opened the packet and trickled it on her tongue: a glutton for punishment, obviously.
She had episodes of road rage which worried her. She had some increased sweats as well. She thinks Mepron moved her along toward feeling much better.

ESG

Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Mepron wasn't covered cause I didn't test positive. I bet if you did, it will be covered or maybe your doc could write a letter.

I haven't noticed depression yet, in fact, less depression...but I am prone to crazy.

I got my CD-57 test today. I pray that it is good news. I'll keep you posted on the herx status too.

Good luck!

--------------------

www.ruggierogallery.com

lucy96734
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy96734     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prior to getting my insruance co on board I was buying Mepron through Candadrugs.com. You need to fax in an original script, they can't tranfer a script from another pharmacy. It is about $500 a bottle and shipping is free.

I didn't have any problems with Mepron other than getting myself to put that vile looking stuff in my mouth. I ate a tbls of PB with it and a huge glass of water after.

I took it for 7 months and got much better.

--------------------
Lucy

Posts: 342 | From Hawaii | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement