LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What is gluten free?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is gluten free?
Ladylee210
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ladylee210     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen alot of you post about "gluten free diet".

What is it?

And type of foods are on it?

How do you know what doesn't have gluten in it?

How does this diet differ from the yeast free diet?

Those that re on this diet - how does it make you feel?

Posts: 374 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gluten comes from wheat, rye and barley.

Wheat usually has alot of mold when grown and causes more candidia. At least this is what I have found.

Here is a link that explains it for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten

Lisi

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are numerous national and local associations, organizations and websites dedicated to celiac disease. This is the best place to find out about the gluten-free diet.

Gluten is the protein found in Wheat, Barley and Rye - but oats are usually avoided because they are usually contaminated with wheat.

Try some websites such as www.celiac.com, www.csaceliacs.org, www.gig.org, www.gluten.net

When I went gluten-free, I joined all the major national celiac disease associations as well as my city's local support group. I bought many books that are updated frequently which explain going gluten free, list brand name foods and beverages that have been checked to be gluten-free at that time, etc.

There is a new book "Living Gluten-free for Dummies" by Danna Korn that I would recommend.

The new federal labeling laws went into effect in 2006. Labels must now list the top eight allergens. That includes wheat, however it does not include barley, rye, oats.

You will rarely see the word "gluten" on the label - although sometimes you will see "wheat gluten." So read every label for wheat, barley, rye and oats.

Wheat also includes its various forms including spelt, cous cous, semolina, durham, etc.

Barley or barley malt (sometimes just listed as malt) can show up in surprising places such as to sweeten herb teas or even some rice milks.

Corn and rice are OK. So are a few other grains such as amaranth and millet.

Hidden gluten is the tough part. Wheat is in soy sauce although there is wheat-free tamari sauce. Usually restaurants thicken soups with flour so I rarely order soup in restaurants. Stuff like that - the obvious gluten is easy to spot - no pasta, bread, croutons, flour-dredged foods, breadcrumbs, cakes, cookies, etc.

Gluten-free is not the same as yeast-free. Many gluten-free products are very high in starch and sugar.

If you have a Whole Foods store near you, they have an excellent selection of gluten-free products, including foods from their own gluten-free bakehouse.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ladylee210
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ladylee210     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you both for your reply.

Looks like I need to do some serious reading and research.

I have also seen alot mentioned about food allergies, this is tested thru the blood right?

If so what is the name of that blood test.

I have been tested for enviromental stuff - but not tested for foods, even tho I do present some food allergies, it would be nice to know what they are if any.

Posts: 374 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lady, my food allergy test was performed by MERIDIAN LAB for $95 i believe.

from my newbie links:

B12 deficiency symptoms , THE GLUTEN FILE
from Lymetoo/TUTU

http://jccglutenfree.googlepages.com/b12deficiencysymptoms

must read for GLUTEN & NEUROLYMIES..GARD DIET!

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=046807

http://www.csaceliacs.org/celiac_symptoms.php

Colon problems; see www.celiac.com
I discovered thru food allergy testing, I'm ALLERGIC TO:
WHEAT/RYE as well as casein...cow's milk, egg whites, garlic, etc.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mlkeen
Member # 1260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mlkeen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Almost all regular boxed and prepared food and soups have wheat in them. This includes all breads, pasta, snacks and cake stuff unless it says GLUTEN free on the pack and usually is a lot more expensive.

Gluten caused inflammation( arthritis) and mal-nutrition in me. It was the cause of annemia and other issues.

Eating gluten free I have no pain at all and my vision is improving. I've been on vacation and gluten free has been much easier than last year. Resturants are better informed and more willing to sub than in the past.

I also eat a low yeast diet, I go easy on the beer and spelt bread. I try to do low sugar but this is harder on vacation, easy at home. I have taken 50 mg of diflucan every 4 days while on the trip just to be on the safe side. I'm feeling great and not looking forward to going back to work.

Mel

Posts: 1572 | From Pa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gluten is a sticky substance that provides the elasticity in bread.

A naturopath once told me that, for some people, gluten can become like glue inside. I think about my husband's back, which for years seemed very stiff when I tried to massage it. After a few months off of gluten products, this normalized. Not sure of the connection, but it seems possible.

But this was clear -- my daughter's ezcema and asthma cleared after stopping all gluten products. And she never became ill even in the winter when classes would become half empty due to illness. Add the wheat back in and these problems would return.

Many health issues improved after I stopped eating wheat, also.

I am not sure what causes this wheat sensitivity except that I think 'leaky gut' plays a part. Also, it may be cultural, too. Some, like the germanic cultures, seem to do better with wheat. Might look at a blood type book.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonja
Member # 10871

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonja     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can recommend the MS website about the Best Bet Diet once more:

http://www.ms-diet.org

You can buy Brown Rice Bread at Trader Joe's the cheapest, for flour etc. I can recommend

http://Bobsredmill.com

They have a good variety of glutenfree stuff, deliver ptomptly and are not too expensive.

Living glutenfree didn't make any difference to me as far as my symptoms are concerned. MSG free is more important to my body, but that's just me [Smile]

Take care,

Sonja

By the way: Watch your detergents and cosmetics for wheat contents. I use Avalon and Burt's Bees stuff for my skin.

Posts: 35 | From Arizona | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What symptoms did many of you experience that were resolved with the gluten free diet?
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surg
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6937

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fatigue, GI upset, rock in the gut feeling, constipation, tingling in the arms and legs, depression. I have all those things with lyme but the gluten made them twice as bad.

I like Delphi Forums celiac group the best.

Posts: 293 | From healdsburg, ca , sonoma | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ladylee210
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9945

Thank you all so far for your replies.

This is yet another thing that this forum has taught me about that I didn't know.

Thank you all for being so willing to share your different experiences with this and others means that have helped you in some ways.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement