LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How much does abx cost?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How much does abx cost?
sickandtiredofbeingsandt
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickandtiredofbeingsandt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll be seeing the LLMD soon and will find out what protocol he wants to put me on. I've been on Doxy for a little while now.

That has been costing about $100.00 per month. We have no insurance so I am wondering what the different abx's cost.

Someone said their Mepron was $900.00? How much was that for? Also, I know I can't afford IV abx but am curious how much that costs anyway.

Thanks in advance!

--------------------
Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired

Posts: 185 | From Colorado | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HaplyCarlessdave
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HaplyCarlessdave   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cost of the abx was very hard for me. I would have done the IV ceftriaxone, but couldn't even come close to affording it. I had a great doc, though, who had me take combinations of oral abx and advised me on herbal supplements. Some of these were pretty friggin expensive, though, and with the screaming inflation out there these days I hate to think what they cost now! (though at least you can get generic ceftriaxone now, I have heard.) But I had good results with the treatment I underwent, though it was really hard on the gut, at times (the doses were very high). The order of the treatment sequence is very important.
Doxycycline and tinidazole were the least expensive. Cefuroxime axefil and atovaquone (for babesia) were the most costly. Clarithromycin ('biaxin') was also relatively expensive. (there were no generics of any of these three at that time).
The herbs were very inexpensive. But the cost of all this stuff is pretty much totally out of control, these days!

Posts: 4567 | From ithaca, NY, usa | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be interested in seeing too.

I remember what my first IV cost years ago. Rocephin..

It was $2,020.00 per DAY.. for ONE gram of medicine.

When I had to re-do it.. it was 2 grams a day for $4,400.00.

That did NOT count the visiting nurse, the IV supplies, or anything BUT the actual little bag of medicine.

[Eek!]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickandtiredofbeingsandt
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickandtiredofbeingsandt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
Thanks for your replies.
TC -- YIKES! $2000.00 to $4400.00 per DAY! No wonder the insurance companies don't want to pay. That seems a bit extreme but no one else has replied so I don't know.

I knew I couldn't afford the IV abx but THAT is over the top! I am just wanting to know if there is anything I CAN afford.

--------------------

Posts: 185 | From Colorado | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nancyf723
Member # 7505

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nancyf723     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am one of the fortunate ones...I have insurance coverage.

In the beginnning of my treatment I went to a LLMD and got a rx for ceftin, I switched drs the day after I filled the rx and the new LLMD prescribed me a different abx.

My brother is a pharmacist, I asked him what I could use the ceftin for and he told me the 90 pills, 1 month supply, was worth about $800.00 and that was almost 3 years ago!!

Posts: 69 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This website might help you estimate costs

http://www.pharmacychecker.com/

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SuZ-Q
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5903

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SuZ-Q     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter is on IV Claforan to the tune of $7992.00 per month (before insurance). This includes weekly visits from the nurse and supplies.
Posts: 260 | From Virginia | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nancyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nancyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was posted on the Canlyme forum and thought it would be helpful to repost over here as I'm sure many people could benefit from this:

"This is just a heads up for anyone needing Mepron.

If you don't have an income (which many LD patients do not have) even if you have savings the company that makes Mepron will send it to you for FREE at least in the USA. It is made in Canada.

The paper work to get your Mepron for free is fairly simple and less invasive then the paper work other med companies require.

I think one other thing you might need to qualify for the free Mepron is also a lack of coverage for meds - I cannot say for sure on that one because I forget. The process was fast and I had my Mepron within days.

I think the first two bottles cost me $10 after I completed the paperwork they had me pick them up at the drug store and the rest were free.

Then the company who makes it over nighted the rest of them to me (4 bottles plus an extra tiny one). I even have some left over which I was going to give to my doctor but his receptionist warned me to hang on to it because the dang Babesia does not always go away as planned.

I really hope my post saves someone a lot of money. My doctor had the paperwork for me to fill out in his office but I am sure you can get the paperwork directly from the company

My doctor said the company that makes Mepron makes the paperwork process easy because they know the cost for Mepron is sky high."

--------------------
The Canadian Lyme Disease Foundation www.canlyme.com

Posts: 128 | From Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sometimesdilly
Member # 9982

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sometimesdilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(whoa, Nancy!!- that is one amazing piece of information about free Mepron. sure hope that it's still true, and if so, that it is broadcast loudly here on the board. )

as for cost of meds? IV's are next for me, so i'll let you know about that by February.

right now, though, the total cost for my oral meds per month is well over $2,000. and that does not include supplements.

sure would have been a heck of a lot less expensive for the insurance company to have insisted on adequate initial antibiotic treatment, don't you think?

dilly

Posts: 2507 | From lost in the maze | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired,
Go to costco (you don't need a membership) and get 130 doxycycline pills for $15. You can get that price on line. At my local costco I can get 120 pills for about $15. That's 400 mg per day for $15 per month. Their prices for most drugs are the lowest I could find besides some of the pharmacies on-line.

You may qualify for some of the programs listed here:
http://www.webshopemporium.com/prescription_drug_resources.htm
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At Walmart Doxy costs $4 per 30 tabs/caps.
I filled a script for 60 for $8.
So for 300mg/day it would be $12 and
400 mg/day would be $16.

Walmart has a few other drugs in their list that are used. Try here:
http://i.walmart.com/i/if/hmp/fusion/genericdruglist.pdf
Anyone is eligible for these! If I'm not mistaken other stores are matching the prices, Target I think and I'm not sure who else.

Also here is a link to Patient Assistance programs. https://www.pparx.org/Intro.php

Fill out the information (you need only give you zipcode as far as identifying information)and it will tell you what programs you mihgt be eligible for. In many case you can download the form from the site or they give you contact information.

Mepron is definately covered by Bridges to Access.
http://www.atdn.org/access/pa/lami.html
Please note: while there is no limit on Mepron. [Smile]
Malarone is restricted to 16 tablets per caledar year, unless you file an exception and then can get 30 a year. I sure hope they change that.

I hope these help!

edit: I guess I should have opened Terry's link before posting, those were all on there, sorry for the duplication. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was going to recommend costco but terry beat me there! [Big Grin]

someone/sick or whoever,

please copy this post, send jenifer/moderator found at top of this forum page, a PM, and ask her to make this a FEATURE !

ask her to have it below the ceflin post; this way both meds are together; thanks! will save folks a lot of time, effort, and BIG BUCKS $$$

THANKS [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymedad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IV antibiotics:

Our daughter is infusing generic Rocephin daily. She is also infusing Benadryl because she has a slight allergy to the Rocephin.

Her health insurance (United Health Care) does not cover IV antibiotics beyond the first 30 days.

We found a pharmacy here in Southern California that provides the two precription drugs as well as all necessary infusion supplies for $1500 a month.

We do all reconsituting of the Rocephin and loading of syringes as well as bi-weekly dressing changes.

We were paying $3000 a month with a different pharmacy.

I maintain a spreadsheet of all Lyme related expenses. Our cost for medicines only for 2006 was $17,536 (and again our daughter has health care insurance).

[ 05. January 2007, 12:46 PM: Message edited by: lymedad ]

Posts: 681 | From California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Canada is a good option although they didn't always have all my meds but did carry alot of the abx's. Locally I did did end up paying $ 850 a bottle for the mepron. But the doxy was the cheapest.

In Canada I use doctorsolve : www.doctorsolve.com
1-866-732-0305

and also www.medcenterstore.com

Someone posted recently aboout how to get meds threw supportive help. I think it was in general. I will try & look

Canada's abx seemed the same in quality as I got locally.

hope this helps

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickandtiredofbeingsandt
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10189

Hi Everybody!
Thanks so much for all these good replies. I know the patient help info will help someone. We have looked into the patient assistance etc and we don't qualify for anything.

We are self-employed (I work from home) and we both have incomes and we have assets. But we also live hand to mouth so the cost of these meds are going to break us.

I told my husband last night that I wasn't going to opt for any treatment that we can't come up with the money for but it will eat our savings and retirement funds.

I just cannot believe the cost of this. I knew it was expensive but the actual costs being talked about here are astronomical. Way beyond what I thought it would be. I wonder if it isn't better to just stay sick.

Anyway, thanks again all!

--------------------

lymedad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I wonder if it isn't better to just stay sick.

NO
Posts: 681 | From California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out this link...

http://healthpricer.com/

It will compare any abx prices and find the lowest.... I found mepron for $525 a bottle!! (Through a canadian online pharmacy)

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sick and tired,

My husband and I have always been frugal over the years and therefore own a hourse and have other assets. This past year has brought about a complete flip around in my attitude toward our finances.

It is scary to see the amount of money we are going to have to come up with to finance his treatment. I never would have foreseen this. However, this is our present.

In order for us to have a future, we have to invest in it and that means spending from our assets. I just had to find the "off" button when it came to worrying about our future finances.

I will sell everything I own if it will make my husband better. When he's better, we can rebuild - that's our future. Hanging on to our assets and having a poor quality of life is not the future I want us to have.

This disease gets you coming and going. It robs your health and then has the nerve to try and steal your bank too.

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement