LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme and Wisconsin.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme and Wisconsin.
LZOChicago
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LZOChicago     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello-

Just wondering how many of you got Lyme in WI? I got it in the North Woods and have since known many people getting it up there.

Where and when did you get it if in WI?

Thanks!

Posts: 117 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LZOChicago:
Hello-

Just wondering how many of you got Lyme in WI? I got it in the North Woods and have since known many people getting it up there.

Where and when did you get it if in WI?

Thanks!

Just think of it as our little "Cheesehead" gift to you Bears fans. [Big Grin]
I have quite a few Chitown residents in my lyme e-mail group. If you look at the highest incidences of lyme nationwide you'll see that WI. is right up there in certain area's.

Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnlyme1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7343

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnlyme1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Waupaca Wi - the same general area where NP40 is from.
Posts: 582 | From milwaukee wi | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I live NEAR Waupaca, WI. I got it in my back yard, back in October, 1999.
Jim [Cool]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaS
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was married we had a cabin up in Mauston. I think thats where I got it 15 years ago. [Frown]

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BZ
Member # 8801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi LZO,
I live in Central Wisconsin and have lived here for 27 years. I was born and raised in Chicago. I was first bitten 15 years ago,and had many tick bites since.

I was a hunting Guide 3 years ago when I was bitten and recieved a bulls eye and went to the Doctor. He told me that it was a spider bite and not to worry.

6 months later I started haveing chest pains,shortness of breath,and all the heart symptoms of a heart attack. Went to 8 Doctors before one took a lyme test, and it was lyme.

Still fighting for my life. I really dont think Most Doctors here know what lyme really is.I will always go to a LLM before I ever go back to a regular Doctor again.

Lyme is very political,and MOST Doctors here wont medicate for more than 21 days.I feel that my LLM doc has saved my life.The main thing is to find the right Doctor.

I am very ill because I was misdignoised in the first place.I wish you the best of luck!!Are you seeing a LLM??
Brenda

Posts: 36 | From Pittsville Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which Wisconsin bites do you want to keep track of? The unidentified-by-doctor and untreated bull's-eye rash bites? Or the undertreated Wisconsin bites? Or the Erlichia plus Lyme Wisconsin bites? Is that 3 or 2? Luck, WI area also known as Tick City, WI.
Posts: 422 | From Luck home | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Member # 6711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NP40     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you run a broad line from the WI. Dells area straight up through the Wausau area and then veer a left over towards the Twin Cities, this is one of the heaviest area's of tick and lyme infestation in the country.

It's no coincidence that WI's abundant forests, lakes, cool climate and wildlife are prime breeding grounds. The Waupaca/Fremont area has a particularily nasty strain that involves CNS dissemination almost immediately. Unfortunately, this area has some of the dumbest doctor's on the face of the earth.

Wausau is a heavily endemic area as well but for some reason the doc's lyme knowledge is higher than just about anywhere else in the country. Many doc's here treat aggressively with IV's for lengthy time periods. Not exactly what I would call LLMD's but better than the average duck.

WI. does have a couple of excellent lyme doc's who are completely overwhelmed with patient load.

I remember a researcher from the UW-Stevens Point checking on ticks and incidence of lyme in a local park in Stevens Point. The incidence of lyme with ticks was at 5% only 5 years ago. Her most recent study showed infected ticks at 40%.

Babesia seems to be more frequent here than bartonella, though I know many here with bart. Wisconsin also lays claim to one of the highest incidences of rabies in the country as well as the dreaded blastomycosis.

For those not familiar, Blasto is a fungal spore that resides in moist soil. When inhaled it starts out as a flu-like symptom and can quickly degenerate into a life threatening situation mimicing pneumonia. Just one more thing..........

Wisconsin ranked 6th in number of lyme cases reported nationwide, or should I say, under reported. Many doc's here don't even bother to report lyme any more, it's so common.

The main obstacle here is the tourism industry. Our new slogan for Illinois tourists:
"Come to northern Wisconsin, get bit by our ticks ! The gift that keeps on giving !"
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1632 | From Northern Wisconsin | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BZ
Member # 8801

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very well said NP40.
I agree with everything you said!! I do have dissemintation.I cant seem to get rid of it no matter what we try. If i stop antibiotic,I only get worse!!

Just have to keep trying until they find out how to get rid of it!! Cant give up now!! Lyme is just about everywhere,and I Think you can get it many more places than just Wisconsin.

Didnt know there was soo many here from Wisconsin. I just got back on line this week due to a house fire a year ago.I do enjoy this cite!!
I hope we are helping you with info,LZO. take care.
Brenda

Posts: 36 | From Pittsville Wisconsin | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cara
Member # 10940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am here in title town Green Bay and i got it grooming dogs right here in GB.

--------------------
God so loved the world he didn't send a committee

Posts: 12 | From Green Bay | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryll
Member # 10063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheryll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I most likely got my "gift" in Pembine, WI. This is about an hour north of Green Bay. But it could have happened in Racine County at our archery club. Hubbie was coming home with ticks after putting in work hours there. Neither of us remember ticks from this area in the past, but even people who don't see them down here (S.E. Wis) saw them this year.

It apparently was a bumper crop this year with such a wet spring!

Posts: 48 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LZOChicago
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8641

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LZOChicago     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for the responses! I got it up in Eagle River two summers ago. My husband's family has been going up there for 30 years and never worn protection or thought about LYme, and of course I am the one who gets it. We were hiking out by the Brule River if anyone is familiar with that.

I often wonder what kind of ticks are up there. Is it Stari or Lyme? I was fortunate to see Dr. B for 6 months before his practice closed, and he strongly suspected I have/had Bart. I sometimes think I have Babesia, but he didn't think so.

What coinfections do you all have? Anything to know about the particular strains up in WI?

NP40- that was funny about your gift to a Bear's fan...really brutal! [Smile]

Posts: 117 | From Chicago, IL | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cara
Member # 10940

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cara     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheryll

I used to shoot archery all over the state of WI. Years ago when I was sick i wrote an article for Wisconsin Bow Hunters Magazine to protect themselves when hunting. I really hoped it would make a difference. I had to give shooting up, that hurt me to loose my sport so bad.

--------------------

Posts: 12 | From Green Bay | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheryll
Member # 10063

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cheryll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cara,

My husband and I have shot at various shoots around Wisconsin as well. My feelings about being outdoors and even the deer who visit our land up north have changed so much since I now know I can be reinfected and that even DEET has been found not to be very effective against ticks.
I am an insect magnet! Mosquitos and ticks just love me.

Did you give up archery to avoid reinfection or because your illness has made it necessary?

LZO, I suspect I may have ehrlichia.

Posts: 48 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BZ
Member # 8801

I too am a tick magnet.My boyfriend will walk right next to me in the woods,and he wont have not a single tick on him, and I will have 5 or 6 crawling up my leg!!

I have been fighting Babs for two years now. been on Mepron 3 times. I cant tolerate the mepron now for some reason, couldnt get one bottle down this last time.

My lymphnoids are swelled once again.Doc H. is trying pulse right now.Was tested neg. on bart and erch.I think there is a new strain here, but I cant prove it.

I have been on I.V. Rochephin 2 times, once for 5 weeks, relapsed, and then again for 18 weeks, it is much easyer on my stumic.Pills are making me sick.This spring I will proble be back on I.v...

Ive been on every pill now, and still cant get rid of it. I was a hunting guide and was one month away from opening a pheasant game farm, when I got sick. A dream taken away from me!!

My EX-husband grabbed me by the neck 2 years ago and told me I wasnt Dieing fast enough,so, my marrige ended too.

This was the first year I didnt get my bow Lisence.First year I couldnt do any hunting.Beef and Pork make me sick, so I relay on venison.I useto shoot 12 deer a year.With bow, rifle and blackpowder.I dont have the energy it takes to hunt anymore.

I am to the point of being discuraged!! nothing is getting rid of it.Tired of being sick all the time,but I stop the pills and I get worse.sooo, I will keep on trying until the doc's figure out what stain I really have!!

Hope I gave you the info you wanted. I dont think they really know all the strains that are here, they only test for a few!!

brenda

cara
Member # 10940

Cheryll,

I gave up the shooting cause it was to painful in my shoulder, I had surgery but the strength was just not coming back. I was committed to no more shooting outdoors. I had an awful time wanting to go in the woods. I now only go where grass is low. I do not go into woods. I don't know if I am reinfected or if this is a relapse. We do own a cabin up north but its pretty modern and I don't spend any time in the yard only on the water or the screen porch or the dock. I am so careful. I did find ticks last summer and this did come on me in June. I did have a weird rash. Was tested to no avail. Of course there is nothing wrong with me except I am getting old.

--------------------

NP40
Member # 6711

This thread just proves that you don't mess with WI. women, their aim is deadly ! [Eek!]

I used to bowhunt all the time as well, haven't for years. Never had a tick. Must be that personal hygiene thing after living in a hunting cabin for a couple of days.
[toilet]
But, my son 4 wheels through high grass at 50 mph and he gets lyme and has to be treated for a year. Go figure.

Any folks from WI/IL/MN posting/reading this thread just send me a Private Message and I'll give you my e-mail addy as we have a huge group from these area's that e-mail one another on a regular basis.

Brenda, Doc H treated my son as well. He really knows his stuff. My son couldn't tolerate mepron either but we still beat babs his first go around. He's had a relapse but it pales in comparison to his first bout with lyme/babs. Send me a PM.

I've been fishing on the Brule and get to Eagle River infrequently on business.

I know lot's of bowhunters and Yooper's with lyme. Some get bit every year and just use supplements to stave it off at the first sign of flare up. It's almost like it's an annual ritual to ward off colds or flu's or something.

Always stop in and say Hi to the gang at Doc H's when I'm up north. Can't even imagine how many lives he's saved.

I've got quite a few of my old bowhunting buddies with lyme. Some with permanent arthritis, heart problems, you name it. Hunters up here are plenty familiar with lyme and it's effects now.

Let's here some more WI. stories. I know for a fact that there's lots of WI. lymies that read this board but rarely post.
-Mike

JimBoB
Unregistered

I have never been tested, so can't know WHAT strain I have or even if any co-infections. My doctor won't give me a test. Jerk. HE has been bitten twice and "cured" both times, HE says. AND of course he has just had the 21 days of abx he claims cures ALL LD.

Course I am sure HE didn't wait 5 months to get abx either.

Jim

LZOChicago
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8641

Is the Dr. H up in Eagle River? I talked to him on the phone when I first was looking for a LLMD...would you recommend him? I considered going there when Dr. B closed his practice, but he is not part of ILADS. What are your thoughts?
BZ
Member # 8801

Ohh, Thats a No Brainer for me!! If you can get in to see Doc, I would definetly do it!! He is great!! Easy to talk to and really understands about what lyme does to us!!

I take a good friend up to see him. She has been Miss DX for 18 years with MS,and she just loves to go up there. She is off all her MS pills and is getting better and better each day.

This is a Doctor that really cares about people.He will call to check on his patience. You DONT wait for a call back when you call,and the office girls are really great too. They have a great team in Eagle River.

O.K. I really like my Doctor and dont have one thing bad to say about him.It is well worth the 3 hour ride for me. If you want more info,you can P.M. me.

Mike, I have sent a P.M you. thanks Brenda

Cheryll
Member # 10063

NP40,
OMG!!! You mean if I skip the daily hygiene thing I won't attract ticks anymore? Makes sense. Hubbie and dog aren't very well groomed when they crash through the brush and woods and they are just fine.

I just don't know if I can stand the fog of unwashed body scent wafting about me. Hmmmm!
Stink or tick, stink or tick? Let me think about it....

imanurse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imanurse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are more people than you know getting it in the Chicago and burb areas as well. I can recall a recent CDC study documenting lots of positive ticks in the forest preserve area. I also recall someone posting on here from the Hoffmann Estates area in the past year.

Its in all your surrounding states too.

--------------------
**Eat Chocolate**

Posts: 942 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes...my sister. Southern Wisconsin.

Do you know the first "bulls -eye" rash was noted in that endemic state?

That info. is buried somewhere in my old files.

Ticks are attracted to the carbon dioxide we exhale.

Unless you can hold your breath a long time...

Wow...a lot of old information is surfacing tonight.

To a degree, a substance in sweat called dermicidin protects us from some microbes.

Go here:

http://www.sciencenews.org/20011110/fob2.asp

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BZ
Member # 8801

I really enjoy reading your thread Marnie.Soo, If a person sweats alot,The ticks dont like it and stay away. But if you have lots of hot air, they are attracted to you??

Does make sense,I really need to not breath in the wood!! And Yuck, I need to rub up against some one sweaty!!My kids are laughing at me now!!

I know the ticks love my blood!!No matter what I spray on me!!Its just really bad here in wisconsin know matter where you go.

Brenda

CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got bit on the head by a tick where the Brule river is in WIsconsin when I was 12. My aunt and uncle and cousins live there and I spent a few weeks with them that summer. I have often wondered if that was responsible for an initial infection as when I was 19 they thought I had lupus for a whole year until I tested positive for mycoplasma pneumonia and they gave me antibiotics for a whole year and all of my lupus went away... Then 10 years later when I was clearing brush in Aptos California and got 3 tick bites engorged all three of them- one rash- I got so SO SO SO sick- tertiary Lyme... can't help but think that it was reinfection...

Wisconsin is beautiful though. My grandparents are all buried in Spring Valley.
Best wishes all,
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lr26
Member # 7437

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lr26     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I don't know where i was bitten. I am in WI alot camping. I am from the UP and have the best LLMD from WI. I am into my 3rd year of treatment and am about 70% better most days. I've been thinking about putting a thread like this to see if there is anyone near me.

Lori

Posts: 94 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
docjen
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for docjen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got my tick bite, lyme and babesia all in the great State of Wisconsin! Not sure whether it was Madison area or Kenosha area. Or perhaps both.
Posts: 393 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kawai
Member # 10005

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kawai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've lived in Wisconsin all my life and spent every day of my younger years exploring the woods and quarries. Went to Minoqua every summer and had a tick bite. Went to Wisconsin Dells and had a tick in my head. Spent a lot of time in Amherst at my parent's cottage. Many weekends in Door County, High Cliff, Sheboygan, etc. Who knows where I contracted it--maybe Hawaii on my honeymood!
Posts: 46 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NP40
Member # 6711

Marnie, you're right. The first bullseye was WI. and the first successfull abx treatment as well.

So, we're all agreed, immerse ourselves in skunk scent, sweat and general B/O and we're safe from ticks. [Cool] We also agree that we have an overabundance of dumb doc's, loads of lupus and MS cases. [Roll Eyes]

Ima's right too. The cities are getting more cases of lyme as well.

LZO, doubt you'll get into Doc H. [booked until about 2009] but drop me a PM and I'll steer you towards some other good one's.

Hey JimBob, you know and I know, when a doctor [or their family members] get bitten, IMMEDIATE treatment is required. The ol' "wait and see what happens" is for the great "unwashed" out here.

WI. is so loaded with tourists in the summer, and the beauty of the state combine to make a deadly aphrodisiac of lyme unawareness.

Sarah, Spring Valley is beautiful. Must've been culture shock and a half going from sedate, sleepy WI. to the bustle of CA. LOL

Lori, you're a Yooper ! I'll send you a Private Message with my e-mail so you can talk to folks from your neck of the woods. The U.P. is about as pristine an area as you'll find in the country. Got caught in a snowstorm one time trying to leave Ontonagan. Complete whiteout coming off of Lake Superior. Ended up staying overnight.

Cheryll, immediately discard all personal hygiene products, soaps, shampoos and perfumes. It's time to play nature girl and keep those ticks at bay. [Big Grin]

Cheryll
Member # 10063

NP40
The new mantra (adapted from my earlier post)
Tick or stink, tick or stink
Let me think...

JimBoB
Unregistered

But when you are in the Pink,
Don't look for the Link,
To a Rat Fink.

Jimk. [Cool]

bugabooboo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7383

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bugabooboo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hayward, WI...I was on a canoe trip. I was wearing a bandana on my head and the little creature found it warm and dark there.

I was ignorant about LYME. I have been in the "mainstream" medical world for 2 decades and actually gave out information per the CDC...You know, "wait for symptoms, THEN come see your Dr."

So I waited, then when symptoms occurred 2 weeks later I saw 3 Dr.'s, 2 of which gave me a 1 wk course then a 10 day course of antibiotics.

It's going to take a lot more Dr.'s and nurses getting this dreadful disease for the "cheeseheads" to get educated.

By the way, the Dr.'s were NOT from Hayward.

Bug

--------------------
Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives, is the perfect preparation for a future only He can see....Corrie Ten Boom

Posts: 343 | From Northcentral Iowa | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement