LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Stiff aching neck pain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stiff aching neck pain
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does any one have a stiff neck? Mine has been so stiff for years. Also my shoulders are stiff and very tight. Does anyone have any suggestions?
sick

Posts: 538 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 11 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
howdy d!

sorry to read this, and welcome to MY club of same symptoms for 30-36 years.

i use frozen ice packs and/OR moist heating pad for those areas.

HOT EPSON SALT BATHS ARE GOOD FOR ACHING but not to burn you.

if you have a spa/similar, use that ... hits just the spots hurting the worst.

ibuprofen is my only other helper...

my young niece buys these hot packs that attach tothe body! they get warm when in touch with body; she really likes them! good luck. [Wink]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yah, Yah! My original symptom and one that keeps flaring up even today.

Two things that are VERY HELPFUL.
1- Chiropractic treatment (especially a little electrode type machine that places electrical impulses on the muscles to loosen them up)
2-Massage Therapy.

For me, the muscles around the neck and shoulders become so tight and they are causing the pain. I have been told this happens for two reasons. First the spine gets out of alignment and the muscles are working overtime trying to hold the spine in place. So chiropractors put the spine back in place and then work on relaxing the muscles. Second, pockets of lactic acid build up (and I believe toxins) in the muscles. A good massage therapist will break those pockets loose. I get up from the table pain free everytime. I then drink lots of water all day to help flush the loosed toxins out of my system.

Lyme is notorious for causing this issue in the neck joints.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree about massage, but please go slow (only 10 mins. to start out). I had too much massage the first time, and so many toxins were liberated from my tissues that my neck turned as hard as concrete, and I threw up from the pain.

I also have a semicircular shaped pillow, made of polar tech to hold heat, and stuffed with flax seeds. You heat it in the microwave and wear it around your neck. The shape makes it stay on your neck while you go about your day. It holds the heat for about 45 mins. I'm sure you can find these in many places on the Internet.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too suffered with this from my beginning days and would do massage regularly for what was my "fibromyalgia".

I haven't tried massage since my diagnosis, but appreciate your warning, Klutzo. Scarey stuff.

In the past, I would find a temporary relief and was also doing chiropractic and accupuncture. Also as Betty said, heat and cold.

I think we all have to experiment since what works one time, may not the next so it's good to have many options that you can run through.

But as you can tell, we all know what you are discussing and can sympathize with you. Good luck.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
char
Member # 8315

Icon 1 posted      Profile for char     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was one of my daughter's prominent symptom when she first got infected. Also, it got worse when she took dioxy.

We really cranked the tylenol and ibuprophen- the dr. can advise how much is ok. My kids were ok taking more than I imagined they could.

My son had bad stiffness all over and he took prescription meds that helped.

Some of my relatives were alarmed about the pain meds; but it is important to be as comfortable as possible to rest and recover.

It is possible that your your bad stiffness will subside; especially with lyme treatment.

But you can push for the dr.s to help with pain if needed.

Best Wishes,

Char

[ 07. January 2007, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: char ]

Posts: 1230 | From US | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you want a medicine to help the symptom, I had great success with Flexeril. It's a muscle relaxer.

It works best when you take it every day, rather then just "as needed." You also want to start at a low dose and work up. The max dose is 30mg.

I started at 5mg a night, and didn't notice a difference until I hit 20mg. But the real benefit came at 30mg for me. I increased by 5mg each week. It definitely causes fatigue, but it gave me my life back.

Once I was on the flexeril, I had benefits from myofascial trigger point release. It's a type of massage, I had mine done by an excellent physical therapist. It hurts really bad, but does relax the muscles. Without the Flexeril, it only made things stiffer.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KENNEDY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KENNEDY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This problem comes up alot. Here's what I replied to a post on dec.28th.

I hope one of these suggestions brings you relief.

When I had complained to my LLMD about my neck pain he prescribed Naprosyn, and that was to be taken with Prevacid,

apparently Naprosyn is very hard on your stomach. I had no trouble with it and I only used it for 30 days.
I finished that up Oct.28th and I still don't have any problems. So that along with heat applied to my neck is what worked for me. Hope you feel better soon.

Posts: 158 | From PA. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MSM - I really think that is helping the stiff
neck that I've had for years. Too soon to be sure
but it's worth a shot if you want to try it.

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NatalieA
Member # 7714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NatalieA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi- yes stiff neck and shoulders almost every day for last year. It gives me headaches too when real bad. It seems worse in morning and night of course. I use lidocaine patches and muscle rub stuff..Would be nice to go get a massage one day! [Smile]
Natalie

Posts: 87 | From Clarksburg, NJ, Monmouth | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwenb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwenb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try magnesium citrate - easily digestable. Lack of magnesium causes muscle problems. I had tons of problems with my back and neck etc, after supplementing for several months with magnesium (to bowel tolerance) my neck and back pain reduced by 90%.

Lyme depletes magnesium big time.

Gwen

Posts: 227 | From vancouver,bc | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I do go to a chirpractor and I have had massage a couple times.
I also took flexeril but it just wiped me out. I slept for hours and was so groggy. I have to take meds to keep me awake or I would sleep 20 hours out of 24.That is everyday too.
I will ask about the naprosyn. I take nexuim already so it shouldn't brother my stomach. How strong was it?
Where do yo get the magnesium citrate. Do you take it with food and other meds. How strong is it.
sick

Posts: 538 | From Iowa | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwenb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7217

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwenb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Sick

You can get it at any health food store. I use SISU brand - capsule 250mg about 4x times a day. The only unpleasant side effect I have had from magnesium are loose stools. It will likely take you several months to replenish your levels so be patient.

Also, and I can not recommend this highly enough, stay away from refined carbohydrates and high glycemic-index foods. Sugar feeds the bacteria. Incorporating dietary changes along with magnesium supplemenation made a world of difference to how I felt. There were times before when my back was so bad I would have to bring out crutches - that doesn't happen any more.

Gwen

Posts: 227 | From vancouver,bc | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9143

Hi Gwen,
I will get some today when I am in town.I sure don't need loose stool. I have that problem every day since I got on antibiotics.The last two days my stomach has just been churning. I don't get from from the bathroom. I suppose it is from the medicne because that is when it started.
sick

hurtingramma
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hurtingramma     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may also want to try myofascial release from a physical therapist. My neck and shoulders have hurt for years, and I get much relief from the pain with this therapy. I also see a chiropractor who uses the stimulator, as well as hands-on stuff.

--------------------
"Few of us can do great things, but all of us can do small things with great love". Mother Theresa

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1629665573&ref=name

Posts: 938 | From Northeast Kingdom Vermont | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sick:

I also took flexeril but it just wiped me out. I slept for hours and was so groggy. I have to take meds to keep me awake or I would sleep 20 hours out of 24.

Take 1/2 tablet...AT NIGHT

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am a licensed massage and bodywork therapist...so I am partial to massage ;0)

I went through school while on active antibiotic therapy.

I recommend like others here to definitely take it slowly. Ask a massage therapist if they would be willing to just see you for ten - twenty minutes the first couple times.

Explain why...that you have lyme and neurotoxins are circulating.

My first two sessions in school we literally only worked on the back of the legs. I received light, swedish work and had double vision for ten minutes after...I was really fearful I wouldn't be able to continue school because of this.

It got better after only three sessions and then I had eight months of bliss in school receiving work and I sincerely believe the touch, having my body being accepted with love instead of needles and probes of the six months prior searching for diagnosis, and the physilogical balancing of the parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous system through massage greatly improved my healing process.

Hope you feel better soon!

--------------------
�Pride is concerned with who is right. Humility is concerned with what is right.� - Ezre Taft Benson

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
quote:
Originally posted by sick:

I also took flexeril but it just wiped me out. I slept for hours and was so groggy. I have to take meds to keep me awake or I would sleep 20 hours out of 24.

Take 1/2 tablet...AT NIGHT
I second this. I started with half a tablet (5mg) a night for about 2 weeks. I then increased by 1/2 a tablet each week.

I didn't see any improvement until I reached 20 mg. So don't just give up when 5 or 10 mg doesn't do it.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement