LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Mystery Diagnosis TV show on Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mystery Diagnosis TV show on Lyme
klutzo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone else besides me see the segment on Lyme Disease on the Mystery Diagnosis show on Discovery Health Channel last night?

I am surprised to see no posts about it yet, since this is where I found out about it. Thanks to whomever posted that notice, as this was a very positive experience for once.

It was excellent, accurate, and there was no time given to the IDSA "bull" contingent. It made the important technical points and was very poignant at the same time.

If I had to give one teensy criticism, it would be that they should have mentioned that the 18 months of IV ABX taken by the woman in the segment to achieve remission once she was finally dx'd correctly, may not have been enough for an older person.

I had not heard of the LLMD they interviewed, a Dr. R. from CT, but thought he did a very good job.

I hope some of you got to see a few points scored for the home team. [Smile]

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jellybelly
Member # 7142

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jellybelly   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you talking about the one with the teenage girl? Went away to camp and learned about Lyme from a room mate? I think it was called the "Stabbing Pain" or something like that?
Posts: 1251 | From california | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
humanbeing
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for humanbeing     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This show is great...I saw it several months ago and was able to meet the young lady...she still deals with neuro stuff...

--------------------
We are spiritual beings on a human journey...

www.ruggierogallery.com

Posts: 906 | From CT | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw the show last night as well after reading about it here. I have to admit that I had never even heard or seen this show before, but it sure made you angry with so many ducks no matter what you have.

I too was happy that they focused on the LLMD and didn't complicate it with ISDA stuff. Hopefully the positive imput on tv can continue with the Primetime show and then the documentary.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it was the one about the teenage girl. I am glad some others got to see it. I did not know it had been shown before.

I have watched this show many times and I have to say that it scares me sh*tless, and this is why.....

In about 85% of the cases I've seen, just from all the reading I've done and what little hospital work experience I had, I come up with the correct diagnosis for the mystery illness long before the expert doctors finally figure it out.

Sometimes it is so obvious to mne, that I catch myself screaming at the TV as if they could hear me. One example was an obvious case of Cushing's Disease that was allowed to go on for decades.

This show has made me have even less faith in our medical system than I already had. I wish we had some real life docs like Dr. House (my favorite show). I've never met a single one.

If I've ever seen a show that argues for patients becoming their own experts and advocates, this is it!

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
leogrl54
Member # 10770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for leogrl54     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay so i have brain fog, thought the show was going to be on abc on jan 10th

is this a different show. i was up late last night and totoally missed. rats!!

Posts: 76 | From Kalispell, Montana | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Leogrl,

The show you were thinking of was Primetime, although that Jan. 10th date has been postphoned. The show in discussion was totally different and called Mystery Diagnosis.

I have horrid brain fog too, which is why I had to get it tivo'ed to watch later that night.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susiecv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susiecv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Turned the Discovery Channel on at 6 pm & show was titled "Surgery Saved My Life"-If anyone knows when the LD episode is on east coast, please post-I don't watch much TV, but would like to see it-
Thanks-Sue

Posts: 249 | From finger lakes, ny | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeindunkirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The show was on the Discovery HEALTH channel, different then the discovery channel. I did the same thing as you did. Started watching the surgery show and then came back here to double check what I had read. Realized then it was on the discovery HEALTH channel.

I had plenty of time to switch to the correct channel however as the lyme segment wasn't until the last 20 minutes with about a hundred commercials. I was disappointed that more time was spent on the woman with ovarian cancer and her stabbing sensations then the teenage girl. I have to say that at first I thought the woman with ovarian cancer had lyme because I myself experienced the exact same pain after three months of lyme treatment.

In my opinion the show made it seem like once the teenager was finally diagnosed everything was back to normal and she was cured forever.

I was however very pleased to see on television some of the things the teenager had to say. I just hope that people who are ignorant of the disease don't assume it only has to do with joints. Three years ago I think I would have assumed that after watching the show.

Posts: 547 | From Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
susiecv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susiecv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks LymeinDunkirk-
Not sure if I get the Health Channel-will check with my daughters and see if I can find a schedule. Someone said the shows do repeat.
Sue

Posts: 249 | From finger lakes, ny | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my mom saw this show this summer and it has helped her understand some MORE of what I have to go through as well as "legitamizing" the illness in her eyes, coz she "saw it on TV." Wish there was MORE publicity!

I saw mystery diagnosis the other day on Discovery for the first time. We dont get the discovery health channel. Is it now being played on discovery too??? It came on right before the surgery saved my life show.

"Surgery sucked my life dry" would be more appropriate for me.
[Big Grin]

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gopats
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gopats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I saw last week - I think it was January 1st on the same one. Dr. R is a well respected LLMD.

I thought it was very good.

I especially like the part (I'm being sarcastic here) where her non-LLMDs told her parents it was because she was too dependent on them and needed to be sent away (she was using a wheel chair at this point and sleepngn a lot) - so the parents sent her to Spain - worked out for the best because her roommate had Lyme and told her to get tested.....Funny how things work out.

She still hadn't fully recovered yet after 1.5 of treatment but she looked good and was able to do things...

Posts: 298 | From Maine | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles132002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw on abc medical mysteries that a show will be on tomorrow and it's about a girl and you have to "guess" what her symptoms become. I don't know if it's the lyme one but it looks intresting.

-Linds

Posts: 484 | From Burlingame, Ca | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dang, I don't get that channel in my cable "package".

I wish they would air some of this stuff on the more standard cable channels so more people would see them.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathias
Member # 5298

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mathias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was no quick fix for the teenage girl covered on the Mystery Diagnosis show on Discovery Health Channel. She is from NJ and I know who she is. She went through absolute hell for years.

--------------------
Mathias

Posts: 1242 | From New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boomerang
Member # 7979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Boomerang     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When is the new show on ABC set to air? Anyone know yet?

Thanks.

Posts: 1366 | From Southeast | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement