LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Other illness's similar to lyme??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Other illness's similar to lyme??
Jon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still on my path to discover what's truely wrong with me. I want to be 100% certain. Positive babs test, negative Lyme test. 1.5 years ill.

Are there any other illness's, conditions that produce a similar waxing and waning of symptoms? (mainly fatigue, brain fog, neck stiffness (pain), anxiety mood changes for me)

I'm sure its some sort of foriegn invader doing this, like a bacteria or parasite of some sort. How else can a perfectly healthy body and mind turn on itself so suddenly in such a strange manner??

Does anyone else have symptoms of their neck swelling? It feels like its filling up like a balloon, very uncomfortable, and it hurts to bend it back. It usually kicks in towards the evening and night time...

Thank-You

[hi]

Posts: 170 | From Vancouver | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gopats
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5218

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gopats     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same symptoms including my neck - I also get the same feeling in my head. At one time docs thought it was MS with moderate degeneration in my neck. I've been in treatment for Lyme for 3 1/2 years. I've also been diagnosed with 'some yet underdetermined degenerative neurological disease'. One doctor said I had ALS - but that was 10 years ago and that diagnosis was wrong....

As for my neck, when it gets like that I have trouble bending it to the side the swelling is where the back of my neck meets the base of my skull. Lovely side effect...

What treatment are you on now?

Posts: 298 | From Maine | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel for you Jon.

I think I would probably feel that same as you if I didn't see an EM on my wrist and have a positive FISH test for Babesia from IGeneX. However, I do have negative lyme tests.

In the very beginning of my treatment (and before) I had a severe stiff neck, I could not turn it to the right nor could I tilt it up to look into mirror while brushing my teeth.

The only other illness I can think of and I am not a doctor, just a lyme patient would be yeast, mercury toxcitiy, food allergies and eating or drinking Equal can cause lyme like illness too.

I hope you have a LLMD would can help you with this, they can rule out other illnesses.

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THanks for the replies.

Gopats: I was on antibiotics and mepron for around 6 months. I went downhill from the moment I started! I ended up dropping out of university recently, I figure i'll go back when I'm healthy again [spinning smile]

NOw i'm on a herbal protocol, and I think i'll throw in some olive leaf extract and Samento.

I for sure got herxiemer responses from Anti-biotics, I felt like crap!!!! Since stopping I immediately felt 30-40 percent better.
IS this a good sign that one has LD?

Cheers. [lick]

Posts: 170 | From Vancouver | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jon:
[QB] I'm still on my path to discover what's truely wrong with me. I want to be 100% certain. Positive babs test, negative Lyme test. 1.5 years ill.

When you say "negative lyme test," what does that mean?

Was this a western blot through IGeneX?

Because you can have REALLY significant positive bands and still have a "negative" result.

It's unlikely you have babesia without having lyme, especially from your symptoms.

Please let us know what "negative" lyme test you're describing, and if IGeneX, post your bands.

[Wink]

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jblral
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jblral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
other illnesses that give lyme-like symptoms are the various co-infections (babesia, bartonella, etc.) Have you discussed these possibilities with your LLMD?
Posts: 991 | From California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Michelle M:
When you say "negative lyme test," what does that mean?

Was this a western blot through IGeneX?

Because you can have REALLY significant positive bands and still have a "negative" result.

It's unlikely you have babesia without having lyme, especially from your symptoms.

Please let us know what "negative" lyme test you're describing, and if IGeneX, post your bands.

ditto from me!!!!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9123

Yeah I understand that, I just find it odd that Igenex wouldn't say positive if that wase the case.

Anyways here are the bands that tested positive:

IGM

23-25 IND
30 +
39 IND
45 +
66 ++
93 +

IGG

39 IND
41 +

THank-YOu [hi]

Michelle M
Member # 7200

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Michelle M   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anyways here are the bands that tested positive:

IGM
23-25 IND
30 +
39 IND
45 +
66 ++
93 +

IGG
39 IND
41 +

The significant antibodies for lyme are 18, 23-25, 28, 30, 31, 34, 39, 58, 66 and 93.

With symptoms consistent with lyme (which you've described), I cannot imagine any lyme literate doctor NOT thinking you have lyme based on these results.

While certain bands are needed to test "lab positive," you have plenty of lyme-specific bands with positive -- not equivocal! -- findings.

If it were me, I would stop thinking along the lines of a different diagnosis based on these test results.

Michelle

Posts: 3193 | From Northern California | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imanurse
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imanurse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HELLO.... If this is your Western Blot and your description of your clinical symptoms are accurate, you have borelliosis.

Please do a search on the doctor section for a Lyme literate MD. The doctor who told you your test was negative doesn't know how to read a WB.

If you are still symptomatic after a course of antibiotics, you still need further treatment.

--------------------
**Eat Chocolate**

Posts: 942 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
von
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for von     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jon,

Have you watched the show 'House'?

A lot of times we don't know for sure.

Ditto Michelle and Iamanurse.

Babesia also supports a lyme diagnosis.
Your WB reads positive to me, as do your symptoms.

And feeling worse on antibiotics? Hmmmmm you are killing something.

Von

Posts: 258 | From Washington State | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jif
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jif     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just a different thought since you mentioned your neck swelling

this is truly a long shot, but I actually have a syrinx too

check this out:http://www.asap4sm.com/

an MRI would rule this out

please pm if you want.

jif

Posts: 208 | From Santa Fe | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeflox
Member # 10543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeflox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jon:
Your symptoms are so generic and so common that fit with a lot of disorders. For instance, just to rule out, delayed reactions to many drugs cause those symptoms weeks or months after taking them.
Cipro and levaquin, for instance, cause all your symptoms in many people, and last for months or years after taking them. In many cases the symptoms start well after ending the treatment. Many other drugs (antimalarials, clhoroquine, hydroxicloroquine, some modifiers of the inmune response, anticancer, .....) also have the potential to do this.
And some toxics used for hobbies or at some jobs.

Posts: 94 | From canada | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9123

Thank you so much for the replies.

I do not believe I have syrnix, I do have alot of pain and feelings of swelling in my neck, but it fluctuates so much. Some hours of the day I can do yoga and go to the gym, and other hours the slightest movement hurts and my neck feels like its swelling. ALso I don't have much of the other symptoms that go with this.

The bands you mentioned Michelle, are they ONLY from the Boreillus Bacteria? Can other bacteria or substances cause them to create a positive reading, or can it only be positive from a borielus antibody?

I try and stay away from Television shows, especially HOUSE. [Roll Eyes]
However, I can never go without an episoide of Seinfeld.

THanks again.

SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The bands mentioned are specific. 31, 34, 39 are very specific. I would agree that you need an LLMD to proceed with more treatment.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geniveve
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had negative igg, negative igm, negative coinfections from igenex. i only had one plus at 39 and 41.

the first doctor i went to told me i was critically ill, would be in a wheelchair within six months and maybe a couple of years to live!!! he scared the pee out of me!!! i left his office completely devastated......

he also said those with no-low scores are the sickest.

could have fooled me... that was 2 years ago. i got another doctor.....

i just don't have much faith in all these tests lately........

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Michelle M
Member # 7200

quote:

The bands you mentioned Michelle, are they ONLY from the Boreillus Bacteria? Can other bacteria or substances cause them to create a positive reading, or can it only be positive from a borielus antibody?

THanks again.

Band 41 cross-reacts. (Severe gum disease can cause it.) Syphllis can cause a positive test. Otherwise, there is mixed opinion on whether the other bands mentioned cross-react. The chances are quite low, especially with several bands. Here is IGenex' disclaimer, from their website:

"When the IgM ELISA is equivocal or positive, the IgM Western blot must be performed. In addition, because the literature suggests that rheumatoid conditions may lead to false positive IgM antibody responses, an ANA/DNA/rheumatoid factor screen may be ordered to rule out false positive reactions. Patients testing positive with serologic tests for syphilis may also test positive for the Lyme antibody tests."

ILADS says:

"Furthermore, although a majority (89%) of patients with the EM rash developed IgG antibodies by Western blot sometime during disease, only 22% were positive by the criteria of the CDC/ASPHLD.4 The Engstrom et al. study did not use the IgG blot criteria of the CDC/ASPHLD.2

They found that 2 of 5 bands gave them a specificity of 93 to 96% and a sensitivity of 100% in the 70% of patients that produced antibody. This could imply an even lower sensitivity would be obtained had the more stringent CDC/ASPHLD criteria been used as a guideline for laboratory screening.

The CDC/ASPHLD criteria for a positive IgM Western blot include the 23-25 kDa (OspC), the 39 kDa and the 41 kDa, but overlook the 31 kDa (OspA) and the 34 kDa (OspB).1,10 Yet the CDC reported a specificity of 95% for the IgM Western blot, based on several hundred negative controls. Engstrom et al. reported specificities of their IgM Western blot to be between 92 and 94%.2 Some studies have suggested that the IFA and ELISA IgM assays may cross-react with ANA, EBV and other spirochetal infections,11 while other studies did not observe this with either IFA or Western blot.9,12

groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Jon--

The tests for lyme - babs - bart-
are Very Poor at best--

Too many things can Sque the results--

I had a Igenix tests done and my
results where IND-(indeterminet)

Zero doubt I have both Lyme and Babs--

I had Lyme Bullseye and picture perfect
symtoms match-- and I am now much better--

I did get sicker threw treatment--
Perty sure there is no way around
getting sicker (Herx)

If you drink Lots of water the herx
effects can be less---Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement