LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Sources for antibiotics for folks unable to get them

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sources for antibiotics for folks unable to get them
ArtistDi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since CDC publishing guidelines for lyme treatment, many insurance companies will not allow
maximum treatment anymore. In other words, the
companies won't pay for more than a week's worth
of antibiotics.

Do you know of any sources where folks can get
antibiotics--Canada, Cosco, etc?

My llmd has patients who have run into this.
Any help will be appreciated.

Di

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inhouse Pharmacy and Four Corners pharmacy
have been used by others, and I do not believe they require a script . They are off shore.

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ArtistDi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the replies. Will forward to
my llmd's office.

Diane

Posts: 1567 | From Hatfield, MA, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HOW DO YOU AFFORD THE LYME MEDS?

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=016311

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
digirl02
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7177

Icon 1 posted      Profile for digirl02     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not sure if this will help, however, i currently don't have insurance and work directly with the pharmaceutical companies.

I went to their website, ie, pfizer.com or romark.com (probably any) and downloaded their 'patient assistance program' form..

I then filled that out, had my doctor fill his medical information in, attach the prescription and was able to get 3 months at a time, free meds..i got my zithromax and my alinia.

It's based I think on alot of different things, ie., no insurance; income, etc.

So, you might need to do a little research on the pharmaceutical websites and see their exact requirements...but i had no problem at all.

They were great. And i was grateful.

Hope this is an option for you.
Diane

Posts: 121 | From Gaithersburg, MD USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wal-Mart, Target and perhaps some others have started programs where certain generic drugs are available for $4.00 for a 30-day supply.

I looked a the Wal-Mart list and of course non of the antibiotics I'm on right now are on there, but I think some antibiotics were.

This program has been rolling out throughout the country, so check with your local Wal-Mart and Target.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TNJanet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TNJanet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used two main sources for meds that I can't afford. The first is NeedyMeds.com. They have compiled all the meds, both generic and brand

name with the pharmaceutical companies which make them and the guidelines each company has for dispensing free drugs. Each company's guidelines

are different but everything is there in one place, including a place to download applications with the drug companies. Besides the application

which you and your doctor sign, your doc will need to provide a script for 90 days of meds. Then the companies will either send the meds to your

doctor's office or mail directly to you. Most companies do not require a new application after 3 months, only a new script. This is a wonderful service.

I have also bought extremely expensive brand name meds from Canada. The best company I have found so far is RXNorth.com. The site tells all the

requirements for each med and the cost and amount of the meds. You or your doctor can merely fax a copy of the prescription to them. They have a toll

free number and are quite easy to talk to. I have gotten meds through them at 75-60% less than the US and I receive them in their original packaging.

There is one medication I take that comes from Germany via England via Canada. But it is the exact same medicine, except some of the writing

on the bottle is in German or French. They will tell you that you need to allow about 4 weeks for them to process orders. After you have faxed a script, it is good to call them and confirm that

it was received. That will put you at the top of the list for processing. Learned that over time with them. Obviously, this tells me that we in the US are being taken to the bank for our meds,

especially when we can get the exact same thing through another country. RXNorth also guarantees the quality and strength of their meds. They are very professional and helpful. I recommend them highly.

You could go to their site and see if a medication you need is there and how much it costs and make a decision about ordering it then.

The NeedyMeds.com site was started by a man and his wife who ran into problems paying for prescriptions. They began compiling data for themselves about pharma companies and their free drug programs.

Over the years, they have kept an up-to-date list of almost every drug made. They are a non-profit group that really does do an excellent job in helping others.

Good luck to you in helping those who struggle with the cost of medications!

Janet

--------------------
DISCLAIMER:
No information presented above should be considered medical advice or take the place of advice given by a medical professional. Links to other sites are provided merely for ease of research.

Posts: 287 | From Tennessee | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
alot of great info here, i added this thread to my newbie's advise/links! [Big Grin] [group hug] [kiss]
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, it is a different "grade" and may contain impurities, but if you are reeeeallly sick and reeeeaaaally desperate there was this one local woman who gave me MY BACK UP IDEA IN CASE OF NO LLMDS ANYMORE. Feed stores sell over-the-counter antibiotics for goats, pigs, cows, etc.

This one woman with a form of muscular dystrophy locally diagnosed Lyme who had fully recovered before with Iv abx but who had no insurance and could not GET them (I felt so bad for her!!!!!!)
took animal antibiotics from the feed store. Just said they were for her goat but she did not have a goat. Big goat.

Anyways, it is MY back up plan*)!!!! It was cheap!
And she didn't need a prescription!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ArtistDi
Member # 2297

You are all so kind, so on behalf of my llmd
(and me)--thank you, thank you, thank you!

Di

lymedad
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8074

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedad     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
CaliforniaLyme,

quote:

Can I borrow the goat when you're finished??
Posts: 681 | From California | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lymedad:
CaliforniaLyme,

quote:

Can I borrow the goat when you're finished??
 -

----------------------------------------------------------

Adding to what Cave said above. Some PA programs will mail directly to your house; I recieved Valtrex this way. Others only to a doc. Each program is different.

I always do the forms myself because I have had the doctor's offices mess them up too many times. costing me more time off the meds and more aggrevation and expense trying to maintain treatment.

I bring them into be signed and to get the script and then copy and mail them myself.

Copies are important for a few reasons, you have a record, you have the information for next time you need to fill out a form and you can remember what you filled out last time and when.

Some of the income requirements are fairly high levels and some programs do count assets and want cost analysis done.

In any case, it's always worth a shot to my mind. My treatment is pretty much limited to what I can get this way or the most inexpensive drugs.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Di, if you need help with learning to work PA programs I might be able to assist you. PM if you think I can be some help, k?

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LYmeDad, I am sending you your very own psychic goat right now*&(!*)!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JimBoB
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got fish and bird abx from online, American companies. No Rx needed.

The only difference in grade is the $$$$$$ grade.

I still have a lot of them, as I couldn't take them after awhile anyway.

Jim [Cool]

groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All

I go to mexico--Cost from 30% to 75% cheaper--

Name Brand and Generic--

Exact same meds--

Medsmex.com is a pharmacy that will
mail you meds to US --No script needed--

Also the Veterian supply is a good
place to gets meds if nessary--

75% of ABX made in the US goes to
farm anamials--how crazy is that--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement