LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » far infared sauna- yippee!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: far infared sauna- yippee!
lucy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just had to let you all know how pleased I am with my new sauna. Yes, I debated on what to do, to get me to the next level of healing and I am delighted with my choice.

I am using it to;

1. Detox - you really sweat in these and hopefully the mercury and other toxins are leaving...

2. Warm-up - I have been cold for 2 years and I can't tell you how good it feels to be really warm down to your bones, never mind possibly creating an uncomfortably warm interior envirenment for the bugs...

I'd had a problem with fluid pressure in my ears causing popping and dizziness since Sept., GONE after 3 sessions in the sauna.

I was starting to notice that sore/stiffness in my neck after being off ABX for awhile...
GONE after a few visits to the sauna.

It is not a cure-all but I feel that it is a very usefull tool (and feels good!).

I did start using it while on 400mg. of Doxy with no sunburning issues and I'm really sensitive. It is heat not light.

Posts: 175 | From ma. | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So good to hear some positive news. The idea of feeling so warm throughout is sounds really nice. Have been thinking of purchasing one also.

What make and model do you have?

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
;-D

That's a big smile for you!

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
diana
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for diana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just bought one too! Cant wait to take delivery. I know what you mean about always being cold. For years I have been saying "I get cold in a sauna".

I have tried a few sessions and the heat does feel like it goes right down to your bones. I love it. I feel like I am a teenager again after a session. No pain, no stiffness for a few hours.

Diana

Posts: 202 | From vancouver, canada | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Claire,
I have Sunlight Saunas Solo model with the additional heated pad (upgraded model).

Years ago, I used to swim at the local YWCA and use their sauna. I could barely last 5 minutes in there.....

I highly recommend it.

Diana, what did you order?

Posts: 175 | From ma. | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started using one too. I'm still trying to sweat in it each time. But I have to take a hot shower first, then sauna, then shower to get the full effect. [Razz]

It takes a lot out of me but any detox is good. And I've never been so clean!! LOL

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info Lucy.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lucy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7802

I don't sweat easily and so found that I had to up the heat. My unit goes from 1-10 (cool to hot) and I use it at 8 to start and then reduse it to 7 once I start to sweat. And I do sweat!

On this unit you can adjust it so that your legs/feet are at one temp. while your trunk is at another. I always have the leg setting a little lower than the rest of my body.

The manual suggested starting at 4, but I was barely warm at that number.

So far so good off the ABX....

healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting Lucy....my portable unit only goes up to 5. I start it there even before I get in. Then I take a hot shower and jump in. It helps to put a towel around the top, by my neck. Keeps the heat in. [Wink]

Also interesting, my head starts to sweat faster than my body. [confused]

It feels like it is helping me too. [Big Grin]

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Funny story.....I'm having a battle with my cat and my new portable sauna. [Roll Eyes]

He found it and jumped into the neckhole of the portable unit!! I screamed at him and he climbed his way out of the zipper piece for the arms!! [Eek!]

Now he keeps wanting to go back and we have battles every day. [Mad]

Thank goodness, the unit is off when he does this. I lock him out of the room when it's on.

Great.....I paid $300 for what he considers his cat playhouse! [lol]

hillaryb
Member # 10049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hillaryb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree. I got a 2-person Saunagen Sauna in July & have used it every day since... it's been great. Plus it helps with cardiovascular conditioning, which is good because I'm not up for any kind of real exercise.

For those of you who haven't tried a far-infrared sauna, it's very different than the traditional sauna at a gym or spa. Those are about 180 degrees, whereas with a far-infrared sauna you can set it at a much lower temperature (100-120 degrees), so you can stay in for longer.

My sauna was $1800, including tax and delivery. It's expensive, but if you think of it as a long-term investment, I think it's really worthwile. I use mine not just for Lyme, but also for mercury detox.

I know that one of the posters here warns against sharing saunas because of mercury issues. I personally think this is nonsense, as does my N.D., who uses a shared FIR to help detox patients for mercury. The sauna helps remove toxins not just by sweat or respiration, but by increasing circulation throughout the body, so you remove toxins by immediate sweat and respiration, and later urine and bowel movements. Also, the amount of mercury that could become airborne in a sauna is so small, and any risk of "inhaling" someone eles's mercury greatly outweighed by the benefits of detoxing with a sauna.

I'm bringing this up because I think that it's fine to share saunas, and a good way to cut down on the cost of FIR saunas is to share them with another person or family. I personally think most people, whether they have Lyme or not, would benefit from FIR, and I wish they were more widely available to everyone.

Also, I don't believe, and neither does my N.D. or my mercury-free dentist, that you must have your amagams removed before using a FIR sauna.
Sorry this got so long!!

Posts: 90 | From Sunny Southern Cali | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dharmacleaning
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dharmacleaning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are these electric saunas? How much do you find it increases your electric bill?
Posts: 731 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
islandgirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for islandgirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YEAH! I got one also....pretty pricy Clearlight, 2 person sauna. I decided to stop antibiotics for a while, think they have done what they can, and I need a break.

I love the sauna and Hilary, I really really appreciate your comments about sharing the sauna, mecury, etc. This had me so worried but I decided to get one anyway. Am grateful that you spoke up.

I have 40 lesions which have not gone away and the neurologist and neuropsych doc do not think they will. So I am learning to adjust to the problems they cause.

And the sauna will certainly be a great help. I have it in my bedroom and last night, when I woke at 2 and couldn't get back to sleep, I went in for a session.....slept like a baby afterwards.

I am so thankful for lymenet posters.

Posts: 190 | From BC Canada | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jen902
Member # 8822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jen902     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a dry heat sauna and set it to about 120 degrees. I am thinking about converting it, or modifying it to include FIR. My concern is that it really has been a drag on my adrenals to use the dry heat sauna in the past. Will the FIR do the same thing? Anyone tried both dry heat and FIR and can give a comparison? I am not talking about a high heat, wet sauna like at the gym, but low, dry heat. Thanks.

P.S. I finished with abx about 1 month ago and seem to be holding, tho i am still very disabled and have a long way to go. Jen902

Posts: 23 | From USA | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hillaryb
Member # 10049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hillaryb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dharmacleaning--I believe that most FIR saunas are electric. Mine plugs into a standard 3-prong outlet. I honestly haven't noticed a difference in my energy bill since I began using it, and it's on generally 1.5 hours a day (it's in a garage, so I need about an hour to heat it up). The brand I got advertises that "it uses the same amount of energy as your toaster." Of course, no one really runs their toaster for as long as you'd run a sauna... but I think the drain on my bill is pretty low and can be offset by swapping some incandescent household lighbulbs to compact florescents.

islandgirl: I agree that sauna can help with sleep... I sauna in the evening before dinner, and I think it helps me to wind down. And I hope that the sauna will help your lesions heal. I believe that FIR is used for treating burn victims, and therefore it should be helpful to regrow skin. I have found that the two cuts that I got since I started my sauna have healed quicker than normal.

Jen: As far as I know, FIR saunas are all dry heat. But the wave-length is different than a traditional dry sauna, so it feels more like basking in the warm sun than sitting next to a radiant heat source like an electric heater. I hope that you can try one out before you buy one to make sure that it agrees with you. But it is much less expensive to buy a kit to modyify your sauna than to buy a whole sauna.

For those considering buying a sauna: I found a vendor that does an interesting comparison of sauna brands (I did not buy from this vendor, but used it as a research tool). The chart helps evaluate the features of different brands:

Promolife Sauna Comparison

I've also seen used saunas show up on Craigslist, so it might be worthwile to check there.

A final (??) word of advice would be to consider not just what brand to buy, but to by from a reliable source. I had a couple of dumb issues after I set up my sauna, and the vendor put me directly in touch with the manufacturer, who immediately solved my problems.

OK, that's enough sauna-boosting from me! I'm normally not such a missionary, but I really love my sauna. I've tried to get my friends to come over and try it out, but they are pretty skeptical. Or maybe they don't want to sit in a hot box in my garage... anyway, I did get my non-Lyme boyfriend to try it, and he really likes the way it improves his skin.

Good night!

Posts: 90 | From Sunny Southern Cali | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter and I have gone to the gym to sit in the dry sauna for the past year. We got the FIR and she uses it.

She says it feels different and can really feel the depth of heat, not just a blast.

According to the brochure, it only uses 3cents worth of electricity. Something tiny like that.

So far, I am very pleased with the results. WE just got the portable, one-person unit. That's good enough for the 15-30 minutes a day.

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.promolife.com/sauna-comparison/info_19.html#Far%20Infrared%20Sauna%20Comparison%20Chart

(or, for tinyurl.....)

http://tinyurl.com/ydc7mt

Here is a discussion about saunas on gardenweb/

Northstar

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally disagree with that link re: the evaluation of Lux Saunas.

Mine is quite well constructed...not perfect, but VERY good. We did have to drill a few holes. The auto CD player/radio - CD player part doesn't work, radio does.(It is just a "auto" -car - CD radio. I don't care. I read in the sauna. "Dear John"...right now.

NO shipping problems. Came VERY well packed. NO damage. Fast delivery.

That web link said:
Douglas Fir interior
Walnut veneer exterior

BUT...

"All LuxSauna far Infrared Saunas are made of non-toxic Russian Spruce in the interior.
LuxSauna's Black ``Bio Spectrum'', 100% ceramic Far Infrared Heaters produce the most effective results."

I am trying to get Consumer Reports to do a REAL evaluation of the various units.

Since that web link SELLS FIR saunas, they are not, IMO, "unbiased".

P.S. I am up to 50 degrees centigrade = 122 fahrenheit for 30 minutes daily. I'm sweating again. It takes about an hour (preheat) to reach that temperature. I LOVE it. I feel energized when I get out.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since that web link SELLS FIR saunas, they are not, IMO, "unbiased"

I agree.

Which is why I have a whole file on this stuff, including individual websites, plus everyone's experiences , before I take the dive.

Interesting that your wall composition was not what they had listed.

However, it does provide some key words to investigate, i.e. the type of ceramic rod.

I ran into the same problem when evaluating shower dechlorinators. Ratings were done by a manufacturer which tried to appear as an unbiased third source.

Also, how does the "sweat" compare to doing an hour of yardwork in summer Florida heat? I keep thinking that I could save 2k if I just went outside in the summer (ug to the humidity)? !!!!!!

Northstar

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
summerlove
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10428

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summerlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
after i sauna i finish my shower with cold water to close the pores. VERY refreshing.
Posts: 117 | From . | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunRa
Member # 3559

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunRa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
northstar and others who have researched FIR models -

any knowledge (bad or good) about the Waterstar brand? there's a great deal here (got the link from another LN post that discussed the portable vinyl ones):
Waterstar FIR Sauna

and they have scratch and dent models starting at $500!

I researched briefly, what my brain could handle, and it seems that High Tech and Heavenly Heat, etc are the best...but the cost is very prohibitive.

If anyone wants to chime in with their knowledge and experience with more affordable models, it'd be MUCH appreciated.

any good reading suggestions? unbiased comparisons?

And if anyone can tell me what could be BAD about the Waterstar, please post!!! The only thing I could find was that it's made in China vs the US and maybe not as solidly built. But the materials seem ok right? (hemlock, ceramic heaters, glass not plastic, non toxic glues/finishes, etc)

[confused]

Posts: 1563 | From MA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by northstar:

Also, how does the "sweat" compare to doing an hour of yardwork in summer Florida heat? I keep thinking that I could save 2k if I just went outside in the summer (ug to the humidity)? !!!!!!

Northstar [/QB]

Go to a gym sometime and try out a sauna (most gyms let you go to an evaluation session before you have to buy a membership).

You really pour sweat in a sauna. It's amazing how much liquid can come out of your skin sitting still (you also burn some calories while sweating, by the way)!

Of course getting exercise, such as you'd get doing yardwork, is good for you if you're not too sick to do it.

On the other hand sweating, even not in a sauna, is good for you if you're trying to detoxify from something.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Member # 7911

(I have much more "checking out" to do, but this is what I have at this point:)

Maria, thank you for the ideas.....I will have to look for dry heat since I abhor humidity. Maybe I will take a trip in July to Death Valley, or some desert, to experience dry heat!

1. Waterstar
http://www.nationalpoolwholesalers.com/buyer_beware.asp#reputation

2. (Therasauna)
http://www.holisticnaturopath.com/infared.htm

3. (Luxsauna)
http://www.luxsauna.com/proddetail.php?prod=D-LUX201

4. Townsend Letter (I get lots of pop ups with this site)

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0ISW/is_2002_Nov/ai_93736414

5. Airwall
http://www.saunasfactorydirect.com/models.html

6. Miracle Heat
a. discussion on the heating elements

http://tinyurl.com/yuqjxs

b. http://www.miracleheat.com/saunas/index.cfm

http://www.miracleheat.com/saunas/index.cfm

7. Calheat

http://www.calspas.com/saunas/

8. Misc. Info (who is Creighton U?)

http://altmed.creighton.edu/sauna/

(Links from them includes Quackwatch? !)

http://tinyurl.com/yw4bbd

(same as:
http://altmed.creighton.edu/sauna/referencerelated_links.htm

links include sauna mfrs. Need to investigate

9. Heavenly Heat

http://www.ecomall.com/biz/heaven.htm

Those are my bookmarks at this point.

What I need to do:

1. Do a google search for more brands, ratings, opinions, etc.
2. Ask ND at next appointment for sources, recommendations.
3. Print each websiste
4. Compare, either from info on web or call dealer
a. direct plug in? (can house wiring handle it. call electrician.
b. set up chart, and ask each dealer about specifics of heat elements (micron emitted, etc.)
c. location and number of elements
d. compare the woods
e. compare heat up time
f. warranty
g. shipping costs
h. repairs, etc. ask ``what have been reported problems in past''
i. check better business bureau and online opinions of dealers
j. how does it affect air conditioning bill? (will it make it hotter in room?)

Northstar

summerlove
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10428

Icon 1 posted      Profile for summerlove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fwiw the sauna i'm using is MiracleHeat and I love it. I don't have anything to compare it to though, b/c its the only one I've ever used.
Posts: 117 | From . | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement