LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Rheumatologists are really on top of the situation!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rheumatologists are really on top of the situation!
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeepers creepers Batman.. I didn't know that!

But look at those Rheumy's... WOW! After 30 years they've figured out all this?

[shake]

1: Best Pract Res Clin Rheumatol. 2006 Dec;20(6):1099-118.

Lyme borreliosis.

Schnarr S, Franz JK, Krause A, Zeidler H.
Rheumaklinik Ostbayern, Bad Fuessing, Germany.

Lyme borreliosis is a tick-borne infectious disease caused by the spirochaetes Borrelia burgdorferi, B. garinii and B. afzelii.

It comprises a wide spectrum of symptoms affecting skin, musculoskeletal system, heart, eyes, central and peripheral nervous system.

The diagnosis is based on clinical findings in combination with detection of specific IgM and/or IgG antibodies.

Diagnostic problems arise from patients with non-specific symptoms and positive IgG antibody detection.

Adequate antibiotic therapy cures more than 90% of the patients. However, in some patients repeated therapy is necessary and a small number of patients develop chronic arthritis or other features.

While there is currently no vaccine available, prevention of tick bite is the most effective prophylaxis.

PMID: 17127199 [PubMed - in process]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think they like to see their names in print?

Ruin - a - tologists!

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think rheumatologists have made a lot of money from all the appointments for a fibromyalgia diagnosis...
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robin123:
I think rheumatologists have made a lot of money from all the appointments for a fibromyalgia diagnosis...

Heh, I think you're right.

But...the article is a step in the right direction.
I wish rheumatologists would get the right information during their inservice education.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robin123:

oh yeah

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rheumatological degenerates have always known of INFECTION, as one cause of, "that" which they treat; they've been
"on top" of THIS cause, almost from the genesis of the "specialty;" they just played, "dumb," to the infectious, and drug-induced causes, for reasons, "a-to-z;" and, not the least of which, is the self-serving reason of being in the service of making bank deposits in the account by treating with...you name the immune sys. suppresant...instead of(?)...

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sadly it seems to me that they are practicing denial to assure job security...pretty sad...

--------------------
�Pride is concerned with who is right. Humility is concerned with what is right.� - Ezre Taft Benson

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pq
Member # 6886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pq     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
may infections, and drug induced rheu. arth. make burnt roux of the low-life, criminal dirt-bag,rheumatologists' diencephalons. [rant] [lol]

for their "range-of-motion" excercise, i recommend a double set of martial arts,nun-chucks(spell. off here), and a slight over dose, then withdrawal, from srri's, so they can
"recover," by knocking themselves out!" [dizzy] [lol]

Posts: 2708 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dharmacleaning
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2114

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dharmacleaning     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh dear , don't remind me of my appt. with the rheumatologist! It was ditto, ditto on what you passed along - but as a little bonus, he said he had worked with..........Dr. Steere! Oy.
Posts: 731 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nancyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nancyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Coincidentally, yesterday my daughter had an appointment with a rheumatologist at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto - a world famous teaching and research hospital.

The doctor went through my daughter's history from the time she got a strange bite 3 years ago and her health fell apart.

At the end she told my daughter that she knew what was causing the chronic joint pain and that she had a prescription to cure it. My daughter's face brightened up. A cure? Really?

Are you ready for this, folks? The cure is exercise. Yup, just get active and exercise and you will feel all better. She even suggested hiking! [bonk]

The doctor told us about a patient who was wheelchair bound and she told him to do the same thing - and guess what? He's walking now.

It doesn't seem to matter that my daughter was extremely active when the joint pain started and that she remained active until she could barely walk anymore.

It also doesn't matter that my daughter has a clinical diagnosis of Lyme along with some supporting Igenex bands.

No wonder they are a world renowned hospital - they perform miracles without the bother of all that science stuff.

As for Lyme, she said "I have treated 2 people for Lyme in my 20 year career."

Btw, someone told me that it was a rheumatologist that discovered Lyme. Is this true?

--------------------
The Canadian Lyme Disease Foundation www.canlyme.com

Posts: 128 | From Canada | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What a story, Nancy -- the Toronto hospital that fixes Lyme with exercise.

I believe it was Willy Burgdorfer who discovered the Lyme bacteria in 1981. He was a tick researcher.

My rheum story: I was finally diagnosed with Lyme after a 25-year mystery. Not by any medical prof'l here, but through a nurse online. I then tested positive through Igenex Western blot test and had a fantastic response to clindamycin abx.

I go to see a rheum for med follow-up. He sends out for another test. At my follow-up appt, he comes in the room and says: good news, you're negative.

I see he's ordered an ELISA. It says in the second line that a negative test result does not necessarily mean the person doesn't have Lyme. But does he read that? No.

I tell him 30-40 percent ELISA tests miss Lyme. I've since heard it's a higher miss percentage. He didn't want to hear that.

So I let him have it. Sometimes it's time to tell off a doctor. And I blasted him with the politics of the situation. He said he would write a leter to my doctor. I said so would I. I went in the next day to see my internist with my letter explaining Lyme wars.

What I decided to do after this encounter is I didn't feel like calling him a doctor anymore, since doctors should do doctoring, and this wasn't doctoring -- it was obstructing.

So I am calling him Mr. from now on, or just by his first and last name. I don't care to recognize a duck if they don't care to recognize Lyme.

Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before Willy Burgdorfer even discovered the organism that causes Lyme disease, Steere and other rheumatologists were in on the ground floor - Steere having been sent out to investigate the "Lyme Arthritis" in Lyme, CT.
in the 70's.

Fibromyalgia was invented in the 80's I believe, and was the diagnosis given lots of Lyme patients, when they didn't have evidence of a tick-bite or when, after short treatment for Lyme, the symptoms are still there.

Here is the website for this article. I don't think the whole article is available, but I would like to read it. http://tinyurl.com/ydv2ne

Again, this is from a German group, and I don't agree these people are jerks. They seem to know something and at least recognize that Lyme can be a long-term deal, they mention neurologic problems, difficult diagnosis and treatment. I don't know where they got their 90% cure, but maybe they did a study just in their area.

Ann-OH

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 3 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think every lymie should take/send a copy of the 12-06 PUBLIC HEALTH ALERT ISSUE to their RHEUMATOLOGIST!

do you think their closed minds could comprehend what they will read?

my pcp of 27 years learned a lot from this issue and commented briefly on it last visit i had with him! i'm his FIRST CHRONIC LYME PATIENT; his first lyme diagnosis! [Wink] [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey...my LLMD is a rheumatologist!

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 4 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up, i was dead serious about supplying copies of the 12-06 public health alert newsletter to ALL YOUR RHEUMATOLOGISTS that you go to or have gone to!! [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Ann -- thx for the bit on the "invention" of fibromyalgia in the '80s. I remember thinking: this is really strange, all these folks getting it, maybe it's due to pollution of some kind. We met for years in FM groups, trying this and that, nothing really worked, no one had a clue. National newletter and everything.

And there was another group meeting, too: the chronic fatigue folks.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement