LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » HERXING?? when does it start?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HERXING?? when does it start?
tyevansmom
Member # 10609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tyevansmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i just started lyme treatment 6 days ago..i keep reading about HERXING..i understand that this is a reaction to the abx doing their job..so when does this usually occur, after starting abx? just wondering what and when to expect..also, any guesses on how long it usually takes to see progress with the abx?
Posts: 35 | From Texas | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should be herxing anytime now. Don't let it worry you. It's like growing pains.....necessary to the process.

Improvement on the meds often depends upon how long you've been ill and of course, how easily your body detoxes.

Drink plenty of water, take vitamins, anything you can to detox. Green tea is good too.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herxing can start any time its different for everyone when this will happen. Some lucky people don't herx that much. I was not one of the lucky ones & herxed pretty much thru most of my treatments. Although at week one I only experienced head pressure. You may not have hit a die off cycle yet.

Also wanted to say make sure to take good pro-biotics-spaced at least 2 hours away for your meds.

Good advice from lymetoo. Drink lots of water & detox as much as possible.

If I might ask I what treatment you are on & what dosage?

hope you can feel better soon.

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tyevansmom
Member # 10609

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tyevansmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i am on 100 mg. of doxy daily for a month..i am being treated by my PCP and he said he wanted to start with a lower dose
Posts: 35 | From Texas | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your not herxing yet, maybe you should be on a higher dose. 100mg daily of doxy isn't very much.

Lisi

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tyevansmom
Member # 10609

he wont put me on a higher dose to start out with
tyevansmom
Member # 10609

i have had the pressure in head and slight headaches the past week..i dont know if this is just something random or part of the herxing..its nothing debilitating, by all means
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tyevansmom:
i am on 100 mg. of doxy daily for a month..i am being treated by my PCP and he said he wanted to start with a lower dose

It's no wonder you're not herxing at that low a dose. How long do you think you've had Lyme? If it's been only recently, then you REALLY need to be on 400mg per day.

100mg will only make the keets mad and stronger.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
head pressure & headaches where the first herx symptoms I experienced. I understand your doc is starting low & ramping you up. You may have a high germ count & he doesn't want you to herx too hard. You can herx too hard & it can be counter productive.

When you get to a higher dose you may experience more herxing.

Lyme treatment, like many have said here on the board is not a sprint but a long distance race.

Hang in there [group hug]
Blessings
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tyevansmom
Member # 10609

y r the docs so against higher doses of abx?
5dana8
Member # 7935

Because if he is starting you out slow & planning to slowly rasie the dose later(this is called ramping up) This is to prevent herxing too hard in the beginning where you may have a high germ count.

If you herx to hard your body can't get rid of the toxins fast enough. There are many reasons why you can herx too strong-a die off in your heart-too much sweeling in the brain ect..

They want to help you not kill ya. [Smile]

I know its frustrating but some do ramp up slowly for the above reasons. In the long run this may be better. As long as he is willing to raise the doxy dose to a more theraputic dose at a later time.

--------------------
5dana8

tyevansmom
Member # 10609

thanks for all the replies..im new and totally oblivious as to what to expect with the disease, much less the treatment
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Could you share with us when you were bit??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

ESG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4816

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ESG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did not feel any improvement until I was on 300 mg of Doxy,and then I started coming alive again; 400 mg of doxy was even better, adding Tindamax 3 days a week was a miracle.

I wonder if your doc is confusing doxy with Minocin: people have much stronger reactions to that variation of doxy and under the Marshall Protocol one starts out with a very low dose of Minocin. My GP knows about the Marshall Protocol but not much else; could be the same with your doc?

ESG

Posts: 424 | From Connecticut, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tyevansmom
Member # 10609

im not sure when i was bit..no definitive bite that i can remember..my first symptom was a weird tingling sensation in left toe (toes)..had an array of tests done..mri of brain w/ and w/out contrast, cat scan of neck, complete spinal series..all came back fine..that was in june 2006..since then i have experienced tingling/burning/neuropathy-like sensations in left arm, hand, leg and foot..also on left side of face..numbness and tingling under eye/cheekbone, tip of nose and left top lip..lots of lathargy, fatigue, achiness started a couple of months ago..pain comes and goes in left hip, knee, ankle and thumb..intermittant pain (severe at times) in neck and BOTH shoulder blades (hurts to the touch)..shortness of breath, racing heart (comes and goes)..dry eyes..no weight loss..no constipation or diarrhea..my PCP came to the conclusion that these symptoms equalled lyme..thats y he started abx treatment
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Do you have any idea when he will increase your dosage?

You would be wise to find an LLMD ASAP. You can't beat chronic or late stage Lyme without one. [in my opinion]

I know there's a big problem with lack of LLMD's in Texas, but you're going to need one.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

susiecv
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9702

Icon 1 posted      Profile for susiecv     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi-For comparision's sake...I was given 200mg/day of doxy shortly after bite & swollen knee by my PCP last summer-Around day nine I ran a low grade fever for a couple of days-had headaches upon waking almost the entire 3 weeks I was on it-Nothing to knock me all the way down, but didn't feel "good" either-The fever came back exactly a week later for another 2 days. Pretty sure this is what "mild" herxing is...

Did your PCP indicate how long he planned to treat you for? If you haven't already-read & copy Dr. B's guidelines off the newbie page to share with your PCP-Try to get a higher dose of doxy for AT LEAST 1-2 months-and go from there!

I finally consulted with a LLMD-who recommended 2 months of doxy at 400mg/day-At this point-not so sure even that has been enough-I am getting more convinced we have to help create many more LLMD's!!! [Smile]
Wish you well-
Sue

Posts: 249 | From finger lakes, ny | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
panicbegone
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for panicbegone     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im on 100 3x a day of doxy for like 10 days now. i still feel like $hi!. I hope it gets better im just inpatient. I will be adding in Biaxin end of this week. I get more nervous of side effects or allergic reaction to trying a new med vs. herxing.
Posts: 160 | From california | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John292
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John292     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the Abx gets to the keets they turn into cysts and the Abx will not get them.

Keets change form to escape death.

We do not know how many different forms exsist.

They stay as cysts for at least 3 months or longer, who knows for sure.

They change into many different forms they longer that they are in the body.

This is what I think happened to me.

This why some people herx like crazy on low doses and other do not.

Lack of herxing does not mean that you are safe.

If you get to a higher dose and still don't herx then try another protocol, salt/c, herbs

--------------------
Nov-08 NutraMedix, BurBur Pinella WORKS, Japanese Knotweed, d-Lenolate, ALC, Was on Salt/C 1.5 yrs ended in 06
My brain is working better!!

Feeling very good now [Smile]

Posts: 182 | From Northern, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What exactly is the definition of late stage Lymes?

I agree that there is a shortage of LLMD's but it is a nationwide shortage. Even in Northern MN, where Lyme is common we would have had to travel 90 miles to find one. Vets seem to have the most experience as dogs get it so often.

I do not know if my wife's Lymes is considered late stage Lyme but she was infected for over a year before we treated. Her symptoms were occasional fevers, rash at the tick bite, arthritis symptoms later on. She also had at least one Lyme Rage when we did treat.

Her herxes were within hours of treatment but I guess this varies between individuals. She very rarely has any now but that took a few months to get to that point.

I hope the reason you are not herxing yet is because you do not have Lyme. But, I doubt it.

D Bergy

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Travlr1
Member # 9681

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Travlr1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
tyevanmom,

I never did herx on Rocephin ,but it for sure helped me so don't freak out if the pt. doesn't Herx. [Smile]

Travlr1

Posts: 66 | From West Coast | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement