LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Glutathione

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Glutathione
savebabe
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,

I have been using glutathione for about 5 months now and I have noticed a significant improvement in my endocrine system.
For the first time in years my tsh is normal and my menstrual cycle is regular. I really believe that the gluta did the trick for me.
Has anybody else noticed an improvement in the endocrine system when using this supplement?

[ 22. January 2007, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: savebabe ]

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is some information about glutathione.

WHAT ARE SOME OF THE FUNCTIONS OF GLUTATHIONE (GSH)?

* Maintains proper oxidation-reduction (redox) potential
inside cells. Redox affects the oxidation state of sulfur in
enzymes, and thus affects the rates of biochemical reactions in
cells.

* Scavenges peroxides and oxidizing free radicals directly and
also serves as the basis for the antioxidant network.

* Performs Phase II detoxication of heavy metals (such as
mercury), organophosphate pesticides, chlorinated hydrocarbon
solvents, estradiol, prostaglandins, leukotrienes, acetaminophen,
and other foreign and endogenous toxins.

* Stores and transports cysteine throughout the body.

* Transports amino acids into cells, especially cystine into
kidney cells.

* Regulates the cell cycle, DNA and protein synthesis and
proteolysis, and gene _expression.

* Regulates signal transduction.

* Participates in bile production.

* Protects thyroid cells from self-generated hydrogen peroxide.

By means of several of the above functions, GSH plays very important
roles in (1) maintaining mitochondrial function and integrity, (2)
regulating cell proliferation, and (3) supporting the immune
system.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
serendipity
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Savebabe,

How do you take the glutathione? Nebulizer, sublingual or another method.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Posts: 628 | From the south | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

One of the most effective ways of absorbing gluta is through your IV or you can do IM shots as well. I don't think oral supplements are effective.
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supplementing glutathione is one of the "alternative" things I learned about by reading LymeNet.

However, it seems that having glutathione in the bloodstream is not the best way for the liver to get it...this would include delivery by intravenous and sublingual.

And glutathione is apparently absorbed poorly through the intestinal walls, so swallowing a supplement is not the best way.

I've read that the best way to supplement glutathione is to provide the precursors.
Precursors are the ingredients the body uses to make it.

Editing to add,
Some of the articles I've read about glutathione say that your level is likely to be low if you have a chronic illness.

The liver needs it to detoxify stuff, including the dead spirochetes and their toxins.

The liver uses it to detox tylenol.
I'm taking tylenol every day for pain, so I figured I better find some way to supplement this.

I don't recall all the things that are precursors to glutathione, but when I read that some here were being advised by their LLMD's to take undenatured whey, I looked into that.

Unless there are other factors of which I'm not aware, I believe that this topic is very important to our recovery.

Carol

[ 19. January 2007, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Carol in PA ]

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aniek
Member # 5374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aniek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take a reduced glutathione orally. It's a liquid that looks like egg yolk.

It definitely has some impact. When I first started taking it, I had insmonia if I took it too late in the afternoon. So it does seem to do something.

I have noticed an energy connection. It also reduces nausea for me.

--------------------
"When there is pain, there are no words." - Toni Morrison

Posts: 4711 | From Washington, DC | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
serendipity
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Savebabe,

I've had glutathione via an IV, SL and enemas.
IV is by far the most effective. I feel better immediately.

Long term IV is not practical for me, so I take some SL and enemas with a tsp. of reduced L-glutathione to bypass the stomach and intestsines- I believe the glutathione is made inactive or broken down once it is in the stomach or intestines.

Posts: 628 | From the south | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD recommended undenatured whey as the precursor for glutathione , for when I start chelating for mercury. IT's stupidly expensive (like $50/tub). He also suggested taking it easy on the fats and eating simple and raw foods for a couple of weeks to help my liver deal with the chelation therapy. I've started on a milk thistle liver support formula while I wait for my whey and other chelation stuff to come in.

Maria

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnnyb
Member # 7645

Icon 1 posted      Profile for johnnyb         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alpha Lipoic Acid helps increase your Glutathione production.
I also have a bottle of Glutathione precursors over here.... N-acetyl L-cysteine, L-glutamic acid, and L-glycine as ingredients.

- JB

Posts: 1197 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Hi MariaA,

I am interested in trying undenatured whey along with my glutathione. Could you please post where you order this supplement?
I am thinking of trying to get pregnant in the next few months, so anything that would detox my system I feel would be very beneficial.
Thanks.

susan2health
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10446

Icon 5 posted      Profile for susan2health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any one tried nebulized glutathione?

I bought some that came in soft plastic bottles. No extra charge for the phalates.

The next month they sent it in hard plastic IV bottles, but I had what seemed to be a bad experience with the first, and I was hesitant
to try the second batch.

Thanks for the info.

Susan

Posts: 233 | From United States | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by savebabe:
Hi MariaA,

I am interested in trying undenatured whey along with my glutathione. Could you please post where you order this supplement?
I am thinking of trying to get pregnant in the next few months, so anything that would detox my system I feel would be very beneficial.
Thanks.

I haven't received it yet, but my doc recommended the ones listed at this place. He also doesn't exactly endorse the site for good info on mercury detox- says 'take everything they say with a grain of salt'

www.y2khealthanddetox.com

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

I also did a search and found a couple of good-looking websites which talked about undenatured whey and seemed to assess several brands. I don't feel like I know anything about this subject though, I just went with what the doctor suggested this time

http://www.dfwcfids.org/medical/whey.html

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

savebabe
Member # 9847

I also found a webcast of docs explaining the benefits of glutathione. Check out www.nutritionadvisor.com. They are advertising an oral supplement and I was wondering if anyone has tried this?
Also do you need a prescription for the nasal spray glutathione?
Thanks everyone. Keep detoxing! [Smile]

Cate
Member # 8787

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several docs have told me to take a teaspoon or two of undenatured whey along with 600 mg N-Acetyl Cysteine twice daily to help my body make glutathione.

I have done this for several years, but also have periodically done IM glutathione shots as well as the nasal spray. Didn't notice much with the spray, but the shots work great. However, they hurt like hell, even with lots of procaine in them.

As to undenatured whey, the brand many docs recommend is Immunocal, but it is extremely expensive and doesn't dissolve in liquid well. I prefer either ProHealth's ImmunPlex or Custom Probiotics brand, both taste better and are much cheaper. You can find both via a simple web search.

Posts: 47 | From California | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I started taking a whey protein drink, I had no idea what the benefits would be, with the exception that I knew, per my PA/naturopath, that it benefitted the liver. I started feeling a lot better almost immediately. I had also begun taking NAC a little before taking the whey product. Like Cate, this was a good combination for me, also.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking 1800 milligrams of NAC a day. It is a precursor to glutathione. It also seems to have antimicrobial properties, probably because of its sulfur content. It has been used a lot in people with HIV to control AIDS related infections, and it seems to work well for most of the people I know who take it for Lyme. For AIDS some people take up to 3000 milligrams/day. It is important to take it with food, and not to take such a high dose all at once, because it is hard on the gut. It has been very beneficial for me.

Farah

Posts: 208 | From New Mexico | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Savebabe, it is interesting that you noticed its effects on your endocrine system.

Since I cannot afford the glutathione by IV anymore I am using a sublingual, not sure if it is having any effect, as I was sure with the IV that it made a big difference.

By the way 500mg of Vitamin C increases GSH in the blood by 50%, seems easy enough.

I was thinking about trying Oral Recancostat. Has anyone tried it? quite pricey so I dont want to waste my money if it is not well absorbed.

Glutathione should be on everyones list,
as Martha would say"it's a good thing"

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor has had me on bi-weekly shots of glutathione and lipostabil since last May. At my Dec visit, I was asking what supplements we could back off of to save money. He made some suggestions and also suggested we try backing the glut and lipo injections to once a month. This was good news to me as he is 2 1/2 hrs away. It always involves a day away from the office which is a great strain on my husband (we own a business together).

Directly after that visit, our one employee gave her notice. I called the doctor and changed my appt for my glut/lipo from Jan 22 to Jan 12 as the employee would still be with us on that day and I could get away.

Unfortunately, my one good vein decided on that day that it had had enough and wouldn't take the medicine. So, essentially, I have not had glut/lipo since 12/21/06. MY SYMPTOMS ARE RETURNING RAPIDLY!!! I'm trying Dr. K's detox method with cilantro and chlorella, but so far, the pain continues to grow. Scary, since my symptoms are rheumatoid arthritis and I fear joint damage. My doctor had me in a nearly painfree state for 7 mths.

If I had any doubts about the effectiveness of this treatment, I no longer doubt. I'm reading this particular thread with great interest, but I do not think I will spend my dollars on the orals. We are trying to hire another employee and have a good prospect. Hopefully, I will be able to return to my very good doctor soon.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Luvs,

When you said shots I was wondering if you could have the dr. give you a perscription to give them to yourself. But you did mention vein, is this an IV Push?

That is bit scarey that your symtpoms are returning so rapidly. You mentioned the chlorella and cilantro. Did you recently do amalgam removal?

What is the Lipostabil used for?

-----------

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did IVs for a few months. Helped bring my metals levels down.
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Here is another suggestion; Glutathione suppositories by Wellness pharmacy. I know it does not sound pretty, but believe me they work.

Wellness Pharmacy (205)879-6551

MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Wow,

Never even heard of that! Wow and it really works
Thanks again

luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Savebabe, Thanks. I'll look into those.

Mars, I'm too squimish to give myself shots. God forbid I ever get diabetes. They are pushes into the vein.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Years ago my doctor had me on glutathione lotion that he had compounded by a compounding pharmacy. It seemed to help my energy but then it stopped working. He said that is not unusual. He wanted me to take shots but he stopped treating anyone but autistic patients and I didn't know anyone at the time who would prescribe the shots so I never got back on it.

Prior to getting the lotion, my doctor ran some tests that said my glutathione was dangerously low. I guess this is common in fibro patients so it's probably not unusual with lyme patients either.

I tried the expensive whey and at first I got a detox reaction (some people have terrible reactions) but after awhile that stopped and I really didn't notice any improvement in my condition with the use of whey.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Sav,

Do you need a perscription for the glutathione suppositories?

susan2health
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10446

Icon 2 posted      Profile for susan2health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it is a prescription product.

I tried their topical, and it did nothing for me.

I tried nebulized, and it help sound sensitivity, but I had more cognition, speech, balance problems.

I may have doing too much, especially because I was combining it with sauna.

My environmental doc said too much of either can loosen and redistribute mercury to the brain, which seemed to be what happened to me.

Let us know how you do.

Susan

Posts: 233 | From United States | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Yes, you do need a prescription. I think most of the llmd are familiar with Wellness pharmacy so I don't think it would be a problem getting a script.

I also found information regarding fertility and gluta. Since lyme has totally made me body toxic, I am very concerned about eliminating as much poison in my system as I can before I decided to get pregnant.

Here is an interesting article to check out.

Glutathione for a Healthier Pregnancy - By Priya F. Shah

Copyright � 2004 Priya F. Shah

All parents-to-be nurture the dream of a healthy pregnancy and baby.

But the modern environment and diet is deficient in many factors essential for the health of mother and fetus. One of those factors is antioxidants.

The role of antioxidants like folic acid in preventing birth defects like spina bifida and cleft palate is well known. It is now included in all prenatal vitamin supplements.

But the role of antioxidants like glutathione and Vitamin E in pregnancy is often overlooked.

Glutathione is the body's master antioxidant. It helps to regenerate stores of other antioxidants like Vitamin C and E.

It also protects both mother and fetus from the damaging effects of free radicals and oxidative stress.

Many pregnancy complications and birth defects have been linked oxidative stress, free radical damage and low glutathione levels in the mother and fetus.

Environmental and lifestyle factors are known to cause oxidative stress and lower glutathione levels - resulting in birth defects, abortion and miscarriages in pregnancy.

Some of the known teratogens (causing birth defects) in pregnancy include:

o Radiation
o Pesticides and Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs)
o Air pollution
o Heavy metals (mercury, cadmium, arsenic)
o Vinyl chloride
o Acryonitrile
o Excess Oxygen (hyperoxia)
o Anti-psychotic and anti-epileptic drugs (AEDs)
o Thalidomide
o Cigarette smoke
o Alcohol (ethanol) consumption

Maternal health factors that increase free radicals and cause birth defects include:

o Diabetes
o Pre-Eclampsia
o Infection and Inflammation

Numerous studies have shown that glutathione (GSH), vitamin C, and E are crucial in the development and growth of the fetus, maintenance of a healthy pregnancy - and, even before pregnancy, in fertility and conception.

Glutathione and other antioxidants attenuate oxidative stress in pregnant women with inflammation or maternal conditions like diabetes and pre-eclampsia, and in fetuses at risk for developing cystic fibrosis.

Supplementation with glutathione precursors and antioxidants can decrease the incidence of birth defects and protect both mothers and the fetus from the damaging and possibly fatal consequences of pregnancy complications.

Glutathione (GSH ) also prevents or minimizes the oxidative stress that occurs during labor and the birth process.

Perinatal or birth asphyxia/hypoxia (deprivation of oxygen supply to the brain) in preterm deliveries and labor can lead to cerebral palsy, respiratory distress syndrome, irreversible brain injury, and permanent neurological and intellectual handicaps.

Administration of the glutathione precursor, N-Acetyl-Cysteine (NAC), to the pregnant mother partially prevents oxidative stress during the birth process in premature infants.

Currently, the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology advises all pregnant women to take a prenatal vitamin containing antioxidants.

In addition, they advise eating lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, the best sources of antioxidant protection.

For a detailed report with references on the role of glutathione in pregnancy, visit:
http://www.1whey2health.com/glutathione_pregnancy.htm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Priya Shah is the Editor of "Health eBiz," an ezine for Health & Wellness Entrepreneurs. Subscribe here: http://www.health-ebiz.com Get a Free Report on Glutathione and Health at http://www.1whey2health.com

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TerryK:
... I really didn't notice any improvement in my condition with the use of whey.
Terry

If the whey were working, I would think that it would show normal results for your liver enzymes.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement