LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Shingles at 28? Why so young? IgeneX?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Shingles at 28? Why so young? IgeneX?
tory2457
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tory2457     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

If anyone can give some advice, I'd appreciate it!

I just found out a relative of mine had Shingles, she's 28!

She is in the Army, but also grew up in PA...
My immediate thought is for her to get an IgeneX test?

Am I overreacting? [loco] Am I just too Lyme eyed?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Tory

Posts: 158 | From PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the army, they work the young people very hard which depletes many nutrients. Those long hikes thru dense areas, etc. to build muscle strength and endurance.

Then they give them a lot of vaccines.

The idea of vaccines is to stimulate antibodies.

The immune system is in hyperdrive with little nutrient support...

Not surprised a latent infection re-emerged. Shingles is caused by the chicken pox virus re-emerging, you know, right?

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NO- I don't think you are over reacting and you are a very good person to ask her to be tested at igenex.

lyme can lead to the shingles because her immune sytem is compromised do to the lyme. Lyme compromised immune systems can leave a person open to parasites,virus's, yeast ect. When I first got lyme I also tested postive to the CMV.

Lyme is called the "great Imitator" and with good cause. It can mimic just alot of other diseased -CFIDS, Firbo, MS Lupus ect..

Just my humble opinion but best to err on the side of caution because we all know what untreated lyme can do.

sending you & your relatives some prayers & hugs & hope they will agree to be tested

blessings,
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
marnie is right it probably is not lyme.
no need to test.

shingles is common at any age when the body is under extrteme stres ,physical, emotional
or biological.
an antiviral like acyclovir will minimize the outbrak if used immediately.

PEOPLE IN THE LYMENET FISHING FOR ANSWERS!!!

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penn92
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penn92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had shingles at 18. May have had Lyme then, but don't really know since I've lived in an endemic area (in SE Pennsylvania, BTW) all my life. If she has other symptoms, it couldn't hurt to get tested.

--------------------
Getting older is when we would rather not have a good time
than have to get over it. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 386 | From Radnor, PA - where the ticks run free | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
marnie is right it probably is not lyme.
no need to test.

shingles is common at any age when the body is under extrteme stres ,physical, emotional
or biological.
an antiviral like acyclovir will minimize the outbrak if used immediately.

PEOPLE IN THE LYMENET FISHING FOR ANSWERS!!!

i am not knocking anyone or person on this site.
you have to undertand that not every symptom a person might have is lyme.
most lyme symptoms can be explained by other means.

the diagnosis of lyme involves many symptoms appering together or rotating to give a
picture of multiple problems at any given time.

yes you can test for lyme, was she exposed????
lyme is not a simple one symptom diease, and if this is the case, it most likely is NOT LYME.

did i say that politically correct marnie??

docdave

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tory2457
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tory2457     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie,

Thanks for your reply and pearls of wisdom, as always!

I would like your opinion if my thinking of an IgeneX test is not necessary!

I do know that she is behind a desk and has been for a few years..she was however in Iraq for 18 months, but has been state side for 6 mths.

As for lots of vaccines and low nutrition, I'm sure she is guilty of that; [Smile] with no one to blame but herself due to the ability to enjoy libations once again.

5dana8,

I am like you and would prefer to err on the side of caution. Thank you!

I don't want to appear like I'm a lyme fanatic without offering some solid thought!

I do think that her dad is questioning my different approach I've chosen(had/have MS). His thought is why all of a sudden did I test for lyme, and why isn't this discovery part of the mainstream?

It's for this reason that having Marnie expand on her comment about getting an IgeneX test would help me with opening a discussion.

again, thanks for helping

Posts: 158 | From PA | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hillaryb
Member # 10049

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hillaryb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got shingles at age 29. My doctor laughed at me because I was so young. I asked her if there was something wrong with my immune system, and she said no--just bad luck that I got shingles so young.

Six years later, I find out that I not only do I have Lyme, but I most likely contracted it about 6 months before getting shingles. For me, I think that they were directly linked.

If your relative has no other symptoms of Lyme, then it's probably just stress or other lifestyle factors that triggered the shingles. But if she's got other issues, then it may be worth getting tested--esp. if she has health insurance now (perhaps she won't in the future).

Shingles are ***painfull*** I get anxious just thinking about when I had them!!!

Posts: 90 | From Sunny Southern Cali | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tory2457
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10384

I posted before reading the other comments..

I appreciate all of your replies. I haven't spoken to her directly yet, although her mother told me she has complained of joint pain? I cautiously listened to that!

Her mom also said they gave her "something" and it seemed to make the shingles go away!

I didn't add the joint pain because until I speak to her, I didn't want that to influence the thought of testing due to shingles..

Stymielymie,

I certainly hope you don't think I am fishing? I am a regular poster here and am now myself a lymie.

I asked for help with this because I am finding family especially look at me with a sideways glance! How could I stop seeing a neuro? and stop taking my CRAB?

I seem to walk on pins and needles, and try not to overreact to people around me [Smile]

Sojourner
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9424

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sojourner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it is an outrageous question, Tory.
I agree, shingles with other symptoms would also make me go hmmmm.

About 7 months after the start of treatment with abx my husband had a bout of the shingles and I have heard (anecdotely) that treatment can trigger the release of these viral illnesses.

As far as fishing---double phooy! Questions are good. That's what this place is for--I for one say ask away. I don't know what I would do without a place like this.

Posts: 554 | From Naples, Italy | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tory2457
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10384

Thanks Sojourner,

I almost felt like a TROLL! or I was bothering someone..

I agree this is what this site is for! and I'm sure there are and will be questions that are a bit well...unnecessary!

Giving someone help, or direction doesn't take a whole lot of time even when unnecessary. But the best part is other people out there could learn from it.

Interesting about your husband-and that treatment can trigger a viral release.

Thanks to all that helped me, and stymie-lymie I sure hope it's evident I didn't come to my computer with my fishing pole [Big Grin]

TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
About 7 months after the start of treatment with abx my husband had a bout of the shingles and I have heard (anecdotely) that treatment can trigger the release of these viral illnesses.
My LLMD told me the same thing and I consider him to be a top notch LLMD.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

tory :
i am deeply sorry i offended you.
it was not a put down , or a bad question.

its just that if you ask on this borad people will say she has lyme.

if you ask on a herpes borad they'll say she has shingles.

ask a lupus board and you'll get a lupus answer.

my answer was not to be meant as derogatory,
but to help you sort out your question is an appropeiate manner.

well here goes,please don't shoot me, i'm the messenger.

if there is any question at all about the
shingles there are several test they should run to rule out many diseases , all autoimmune.

ebv,western blot, pcr for lyme , lupus, and other herpes.
western blot, ana , thyroid, t cells, smear for
babs,titer tests for hepres zoster.

these are all tests and others, some i probably missed.
these can all be run, but as you now, from being here at
lymenet, most tests come back negative.
a positive is god but bad.
a negative test doesn't mean anything with any autoimmune disease.
you must use the tests as a guideline unless tests do come up positive.

most people with lyme or other autoimmune disease have many ,many symptoms.
one symptoms does not a disease make.

herpes zoster(shingles) is not unually at all to get under extreme stres just like the post on
ANUG (TRENCH MOUTH)

the other major obstacle to overcome is the
military does not like to run tests, and ingores many symptoms, so they don't have to treat it.

when she gets out or the service, make sure it is written on her medical release form that she did have shingles while in service.

this may help her later for free medical care ,if she does develop lyme in the future.

docdave [confused]

healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had lyme for 15 years I think.....only in the last year was I diagnosed.

I just had to deal with a case of shingles. But I don't blame lyme, I blame my doc telling me that b/c I have lyme and older, that I should get a FLU SHOT!!!

I did. And one week later, I got shingles after the shot. When I talked to the local pharmacist, he told me our area is experiencing an epidemic of shingles! [confused]

I truly believe the reason for my shingles was not lyme, but the flu shot I got at the suggestion of my doc.

When I asked her about the connection to the flu shot and my shingles....she shrugged her shoulders as if to say......"MAYBE".

I think it caused it.......JMOHO

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tory2457
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10384

Dear Stymielymie,

Not to worry I won't shoot the messenger. [Smile]

I came here looking for answers, and I feel very well received because of all the people who gave their opinions and circumstances!

Although I'm rather new to Lyme Disease, I have done quite a bit of reasearch including reading a lot of posts here. It's for that very reason I looked for advice. I'm all too aware that lyme CAN be overdiagnosed although underdiagnosed in my opinion is winning the race...

I don't want to cause my niece any undue hardship, yet on the other hand with my information these past few months, I don't want her to reach her mid 30's or 40's and find herself in the position I found myself in!

I do appreciate your thoughts and will do my best to offer her credible options to consider.

Friends Forever,
Tory

lucy96734
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8372

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lucy96734     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had shingles when I was 16, the doctor was shaking his head because I was young and healthy. I was an athlete in high school and not sickly. It hurt like heck. I broke out all over my hip, ick!

Who knows how long I have had Lyme and been fighting it as I grew up in N CA where it is everywhere. I didn't become sick until 6 years ago, 15 years after the shingles.

The immune system is crazy.

--------------------
Lucy

Posts: 342 | From Hawaii | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
healthywealthywise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8595

Icon 1 posted      Profile for healthywealthywise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've had lyme for 15 years, treated correctly for one year.

It wasn't until I got the latest flu shot right before Thanksgiving that I got shingles! [Eek!]

When I got the flu shot, my arm was so sore and throbbing. A few days later, I saw and felt the first indicators of the shingles-- same side of my body, on my neck.

No doubt in my mind the shot caused the shingles.

My local pharmacist told me there is an epidemic of shingles going around right now. I wonder how many of these sufferers also had a flu shot this year? [confused]

Posts: 867 | From PA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mjo
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7876

Icon 13 posted      Profile for mjo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geesh! I think anyone with Lyme getting any type of vaccination in certifiably nuts. I know I've posted on this before. One Lyme friend nearly died after a tetanus shot.

As for the shingles I was told (by someone lots smarter than I am) that shingles would be more likely to accompany Erlichia/Anaplasmosis.

Posts: 422 | From Luck home | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smiles132002
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7949

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smiles132002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got shingles when I was 18-cause unknown, but could have been due to the pretnisone and coritzone I was given for an out break of hives...because they weren't sure they never really treated me-treatment involves either of those drugs.

For me looking back, had I known anything about lyme I probably wouldn't have gone through so much.

We think I've had it since I was 12 and the worst part is that I after I got the shingles-my life was tured upside down.

Before that, although I was not healthy and I always had some sort of bizarre thing happen-I was strong enough to not let it take over my life.

After shingles I ended up getting a rare type of acne and was put immediate on accutane and pretnisone for 9 months-for the second time (did it once when I was 12-same rare progressive type

that surpressed my immune system even more and I ended up getting mono..

at that point my body was so confused my brain became confused and too and I started getting virtigo..

I broke out into hive again, lost about 20 pounds and started vommitting everything I was eating..

After 8 months of all that and every test possible mri's, ct scans, ultra sounds, spinal tap, radio active eggs etc-they determined that I was doing all of this to myself-and until I saught out therapy for my bulima, depression, and anxiety they wouldn't help me.

My bestfriend had been telling me since I was 16 to see her doctor, because she had helped her and her mom with various health issues.

She wasn't covered by our insurance and very expensive. But we decide that I had exhausted all means-she immediately thought lyme-

I was tested and came out positive and pos for co-infections-we had no idea what lyme was or that she was an LLMD.

Had I not seen her I would probably not be alive, because I was so mal-nurished after 8 months I doubt I could have gone much longer and I only weighed 93 lbs

It doesn't hurt to share lyme info with people-they can make the choice to get tested, but if you aren't informed you don't have the option to choose.

Lindsay

Posts: 484 | From Burlingame, Ca | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement