LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » constipation from neuro meds

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: constipation from neuro meds
Peggy in Maryland
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peggy in Maryland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started a new medication 2 days ago, Risperdal for severe neuro symptoms that became too much for Klonopin to handle. It has caused severe constipation--I'm positive this is the cause.

I never ever have constipation--I take Peter Gillham's Natural Calm every night, the full dose. I know how important it is to keep the toxins from backing up and the bowels moving regularly, and it works like a charm, and it provides good magnesium.

With this dose of Natural Calm, I have an almost liquid stool. The pharmacist recommended a stool softener for constipation, but I don't have hard stools. Besides, I may need to be on the Risperdal for awhile, and don't want to take a stool softener longterm.

Now with this problem, I'm feeling worse generally, probably because all the toxins are being held in my system.

Anyone else have this problem, and what has helped? I search "constipation" but didn't find what I needed to know.

Thanks.

Peggy

Posts: 143 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Peggy,

These relatively healthy things have worked for my family:

Omega-3 fish oil (or more of it)
Eating apples (fiber)
Drink more water
Psyllium seed husks; in cranberry (non-sweetened) juice.

hope that helps!

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Calm works for you, stick with it!!

If you're feeling worse, I would think it could be the Risperdal itself.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peggy in Maryland
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peggy in Maryland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vermont Lymie--Thanks for the input. I'm already doing fish oil and drink a gallon of water a day. Can't handle the psyllium or apples right now as my digestion has become very sensitive on all the meds, and those two things make me feel bloated.

Lymetoo--actually I'm feeling much better on the Risperdal as far as the anxiety goes--in only two days on Risperdal I'm sleeping all night for the first time in awhile, am much calmer during the day, and that's at only .5 mg a day. But the constipation is a real problem--it brings bloating, difficulty eating, and failure to eliminate toxins. This is a real drag.

Posts: 143 | From Maryland | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Klonipin also for sleep at night and some other meds that really clog me up.I like senna tea but only use it in emergencys. But be careful in the beginning not too seep to long,it can give me the runs.

On a daily basis one TBS of dissovalbe fiber-Not philliunm it tends to clogg me worse for some reason-sugar free apple sauce & a high fiber cereal helps keep things moving.

Sorry I just saw your recent post about the apples. So ignore the above said about apples.

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WEll, that's great that the R is working so well!! Why don't you buy the fiber product from Dr Natura? That should work great.

It's not as nasty as Metamucil in my opinion.

www.drnatura.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peggy in Maryland
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10480

5dana8--what high fiber cereal do you use? Every one I've looked at contains some form of sugar. I'd love to find one that doesn't--have to be careful about feeding the yeast.

Lymetoo--I did a lot of research today and the cleanse looks great, but it looks like it requires you to consume a lot of bulking powder containing psyllium. I'd get really bloated and have trouble eating. I used to do psyllium and bentonite cleanses all the time, but can't right now--the meds have affected my digestion too much. Is your experience with the Dr. Natura different from what I'm thinking?

Thanks.

Peggy

Lymetoo
Member # 743

It didn't bother me at all. As always with things like that....begin slowly!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1/4 c. prunes has only 13 grams of sugar.

More veggie fiber? Salads, with olive oil and lemon juice.

A pear instead of apple. (pear has fiber)

Oatmeal has good bulk and is bland, unless you are gluten sensitive.

Maybe reduce the magic elixer you are taking, and increase fiber foods.

Here is a website on fiber foods. There is a great table at the bottom of their page with fiber content. If it is a peristalsis issue, (like if the muscles are not contracting enough to "move" things") then you may want to consider the things that soften, rather than bulk.

I used a psyllium product at one point, made by ZAND. Google it to see that it has a lot of things in it beside the psyllium.

http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs01.htm

Fiber, Cholesterol and Gas
Insoluble fiber is found in wheat, rye, bran, and other grains.

It is also the fiber found in most vegetables. Insoluble fiber means it does not dissolve in water. It also cannot be used by intestinal-colon bacteria as a food source, so these beneficial bacteria generally do not grow and produce intestinal gas.

Soluble fiber, on the other hand, does dissolve in water forming a gelatinous substance in the bowel. Soluble fiber is found in oatmeal, oat bran, fruit, psyllium (Metamucil, Konsyl), barley, and legumes.

Soluble fiber, among its other benefits, seems to bind up cholesterol allowing it to be eliminated with the stool. If enough is removed it can lower the blood cholesterol 10-15%.

The down side of soluble fiber is that it can be metabolized by gas forming bacteria in the colon.

These bacteria are harmless but for those who have an intestinal gas or flatus problem it is probably best to avoid or carefully test soluble fibers to see if they are contributing to intestinal gas.

Whenever possible, both soluble and insoluble fiber should be eaten on a daily basis.

To improve your diet, add foods that contain more dietary fiber. You can include some or all of the following:

1. Whole-grain foods (such as bran cereals) and breads (those made with whole wheat grains).

2. Fresh fruits (including the skin and pulp).

3. Dried or stewed fruits (such as prunes, raisins, or apricots).

4. Root vegetables (such as carrots, turnips, or potatoes).

5. Raw or fresh vegetables, such as cabbage. (Lettuce is actually low in fiber.)

Eating bran cereal in the morning is often the easiest way to obtain fiber.

All-Bran, 100% Bran, Bran Buds, oat bran, oatmeal, and Raisin Bran are some of the high-fiber cereals presently available.

Bran can cause rumbling intestinal gas and even some mild cramping, so it should be eaten in small amounts at first. The amount can be increased as the body gets used to it. The goal should be one to two large, soft, formed stools a day.

You should also try to follow these dietary rules:

1. Drink plenty of liquids, including fruit or vegetable juices and water. Drink at least six cups of water or fluid a day.

2. Eat slowly. Chew your food thoroughly. This allows the saliva and digestive juices of the stomach, liver, and pancreas to break down food more easily. It may also help prevent problems from developing in the lower digestive tract.

3.Eat your meals at regular intervals.

Northstar

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John292
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 4628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John292     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ahve been so constipated for so long and no more now!

I went on the Gottschal diet low carb and started to eat cooked food.

I make a few dishes with almond flour, eggs, bannanas taht are really great.

I soak and cook beans and veggies I make stews of this.

I cook apples and prunes and apricots.

I am so glad everything is moving so fast thru my system now.

It's great to move the toxins out!

I can't salad and other raw food as this really slows down my system. I just don't know why.

I also found eatting four smaller meals was better than eating three bigger ones.

I also use a reflexology exercise to improve the digestion.

I lay flat on my back and stretch out my arms like a cross.

Then I pick my kness up to my chest and roll them from side to side. This works really well.
I can the gurgels and such when I do this.

Take care,

John

--------------------
Nov-08 NutraMedix, BurBur Pinella WORKS, Japanese Knotweed, d-Lenolate, ALC, Was on Salt/C 1.5 yrs ended in 06
My brain is working better!!

Feeling very good now [Smile]

Posts: 182 | From Northern, NJ, USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heart to Heart by Kashi

Don't have the box right now I am out. But its the lowest I could find in sugar-highest in the fiber in my grocery.

I used to eat sugar free oatmeal but it makes me nauseated lately.

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement