LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » lyme headaches

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lyme headaches
bessa
Member # 11065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bessa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Everyone! I"m dealing with horrible headaches that are concentrated at the base of my skull. Anyone having these? If so, are you getting any sort of pain relief? I've been on migraine meds and narcotics, but nothing helps. I guess I need to get better! I am seeing a great docter, just can't get relief. Thanks!
Posts: 9 | From South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8430

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AP   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took a combo of Lamictal, Topamax, and 800mg Ibuprofen. Didn't cure it, but gave me a bit of relief.

--------------------
Sometimes when I say �Oh, I�m fine� I want someone to look me in the eyes & say �tell the truth�

Myspace: http://tinyurl.com/5p64ed

Posts: 644 | From WA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
welcome bess to the board! sorry to read about your headaches!

i'm sending you a PM, private message with my newbie links/advise for you.

if you need a dr., go to SEEKING DRS. and show in topic line...LARGEST CITY you're close to and STATE IN topic line!

bess, you can do a SEARCH, found at top under NEW POST in black/white box.

type in: headache or migraine
MEDICAL
TOPIC ONLY ...if no results; show body text
ANY DATE ...make sure you EDIT MY PROFILE FIRST to show longest period of time at bottom of profile vs. default!

leave membership no. blank; click START function or whatever it's called; each thing you do is not the same name! good luck! [Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I experienced a long period of daily headaches. The severity of the pain diminished when I got my vitamin D levels under control by avoiding foods with D and minimizing light exposure.

Headache is one of the symptoms of excess vitamin 1,25D, the form of the vitamin that the infection helps to manufacture.

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amberamber
Member # 10256

Icon 12 posted      Profile for amberamber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am having the same problem just now. The base of my skull but also down into my right shoulder and down in between my shoulder blades. But all this is super swollen too. Have not been treated for lyme in 5 yrs.
When I was I had a pain doc and was on methadone for the constant head pain. It's wasn't a migraine but meningial headache. They can feel a lot alike. The lyme pain felt much deeper and I would have shooting pains, pain that felt like cramps, pressure pain.
Still have probs bending over or exercising as it increases the blood flow.
Don't be in constant pain for too long. I regret that. I don't play now. I am done suffering. If I am in pain I want relief and if that is heavy-duty drugs, then bring it on.

Posts: 3 | From Albuquerque | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bessa
Member # 11065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bessa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello again! Thanks so much for responding and sharing some of your treatments. AP, I'm on lamictal, topomax and lyrica! No relief. I think I've given up on ibuprofin. The lamictal and lyrica are helping my nerve pain though.

Bettg, thanks for sending me all the "newbie" info. WOW!!!
dguy, I've never heard what you are explaining with vitamin D. I'll definitely look into it. Thanks!

Hi amberamber, I'm sorry you're going throuh a rough time. My doc was initially worried about brain swelling, but 2 drugs, diamox and ? did nothing. So Monday I am having a nerve test done in that area to see if the lyme has caused any damage. May I ask why you haven't been treated these last 5 years? God Bless To You..........

Posts: 9 | From South Carolina | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
csperanza
Member # 9613

Icon 1 posted      Profile for csperanza     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found the only thing that gives me some relief for headaches like that is laying down with a heating pad against the back of my head/neck.

Carol

Posts: 56 | From southeastern PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
strongerangel
Member # 10037

Icon 1 posted      Profile for strongerangel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder why it's just at the base of your skull--does this signify muscle problems at all?

When I read the title of your post, I figured I could help because I've had a headache for a couple of years.

However,mine's usually located behind my eyes.

When I do get back of the head pain, I massage my neck vigorously and that usually eases pain a bit.

The meds I take for headache are tramadol, lamictal, and skelaxin.

If the pain is truly unbearable, there are some pain patches out there (I think they are narcotic) that supposedly really help.

I don't know, though, because I had a severe allergic reaction.

Sorry I can't help more, but I definitely feel your pain! Feel better soon!

Emily [Smile]

--------------------
-Em

"Thank you, Oh Lord, for giving me the power to control my pain"

Posts: 59 | From Missouri | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I often find relief by using a theracane for trigger points. There have been times when nothing else works so I know the pain for me is often related to trigger points (muscle knots) in my neck and shoulders. Sometimes the relief is immediate.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=050536

The other thing that can be helpful is a low carb diet. Carbs often cause trigger points if you are hypoglycemic. Something that is not always obvious.
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bessa
Member # 11065

Hi again,
Thanks for the recent replies. I just made a trip to my docter yesterday in NC. He is seeing patients like me who have pain concentrated at the base of the skull. This pain is from extremely irritated nerve endings. The interesting part is that he is seeing a connection with these kinds of headaches and babesia. I've been treated with improvements, but he wants to try again for a few months.

As for pain relief, I'm maxed out on my nerve pain meds so hopefully they'll help. I'm also seeing a massage therapist and getting trigger point injections to try and calm those nerves down. So far it just hasn't worked. I've had this head pain for over a year, I've been sick for almost 14 years. I think I just need to get better!!!!!!!!!

Lymied
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6704

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymied     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had migraines with aura for a long time...but when I became acutely ill I then started experiencing pain that would start at the base of my skull and radiate only half way up my skull all the way around it from ear to ear.

I had babesia...once it was treated the weird pain in that pattern went away...as well the migraines I would have which I now think were more like mini seizures have for the most part disappeared too.

Hope you feel better soon.

--------------------
�Pride is concerned with who is right. Humility is concerned with what is right.� - Ezre Taft Benson

Posts: 655 | From NC, Exit 88 on the Deer SuperHighway | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement