LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Any experience with Ketek?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Any experience with Ketek?
Maryann B
Member # 11066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryann B     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just started with the Ketek. My prescription calls for 1600 mg per day. (Insurance only covers 5 days worth).

Five hours or so after taking first dose, my "burning" pain increase.

Am I herxing? Has anyone experienced this?

Posts: 9 | From California | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tvalentijn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tvalentijn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had Ketek as well but it has been a while so I don't remember the dosage. It's similar to Zithromax but then better (next generation). I took it for waaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than 5 days - more like 4 months. I took it together with that yellow gooeye liquid (forgot the name - Jeez). Anyway, it helped me a lot. Also got rid of my Babesia. It's expensive though...

Good luck,

Tim

Posts: 147 | From Westborough, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tvalentijn
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tvalentijn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the yellow drink is called Mepron

Tim

Posts: 147 | From Westborough, MA, USA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtnwoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtnwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ketek 1600mg is higher than I ever did. I mostly hear of people using 800mg once in the evening.

Might want to watch your liver closely with lab tests.

You didn't say where your burning pains are --- obviously if it's in your stomach it could just be an adverse effect of the Ketek, but if it's an old familiar pain in your limbs getting worse it may well be a herx.

Might want to check with your prescibing doc.

Posts: 211 | From NC | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dontlikeliver
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dontlikeliver     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not take 1600mg a day. Are you sure that's right? 800mg a day is the usual dose.

Ketek really was good for me, but after a few months I couldn't tolerate it anymore.

Posts: 2824 | From The Back of Beyond | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marcie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10070

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on 800mg a day of Ketek along with omnicef combo. I agree that 1600mg a day seems to be a

lot. Before Ketek I was on Doxy, so Ketek to me is great. I did not like Doxy. I've been on

Ketek now for about two months. My doctor wrote me out a six month presciption for it. I use

mail order service and I pay twenty dollars a month for it through Caremark insurance. If your

insurance does mail order look into it. When I went to the local pharmacy to get it filled it

was eighty five for a month. I was told to watch the liver while on Ketek. I've done fine so far, and I feel that it has helped me out.

Marcie

Posts: 323 | From Michigan | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi - just wanted to let you know I took Ketek off and on (mostly on) for, I think, 9 months total, and I made good progress on it.

I took 800 mg per day, every day (1600 does seem high), and it gave me a major herx. I was also treating babesia while on it, so was taking Mepron as well - and, wow, did I herx.

One of my first life-altering symptoms (which led to a diagnosis) was burning in my extremities, and with Ketek, that symptom definitely increased at first - so it could be a herx.

Don't forget your liver tests every 2 weeks, or monthly - whatever your doc ordered. I never had a problem, but it can cause problems.

Also, I experienced some vision issues - double vision mostly, that resolved once I stopped taking Ketek. I think it was a side effect, not a herx.

Can't remember how many days my ins paid for each month, but I know they didn't cover all of it. I believe they covered a percentage of my monthly Ketek - it wasn't cheap, but it was well worth it, in my case.

Wishing you good days,
Cactus

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also on Ketek, (800 mg/day) and Omnicef, plus Plaquenil. I agree that 1600 mg seems high. Dr. Burruscano's guidelines suggest 800 mg/day. You can find them in the newbie links at the top of the page.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ketek has been a great drug for me. I have had significant improvement in all of my symptoms.
Both my llmds believe taking Septra with Ketek and Mepron increase the effectivensses of these drugs.

Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please verify that dosage with your LLMD. As others have said, 800 mg. is the Lyme dosage.

Have your liver enzymes checked much more frequently than with other antibiotics.

The package insert does warn of vision issues, usually the first couple of days, that usually disappear. That is a side effect that is to be expected with Ketek. I purposely did not drive the first couple of days just in case.

Please make sure your Lyme doctor is aware on the potential dangers of Ketek. He/she should be, it's been in the news a lot. That's the reason for being vigilant about checking liver enzymes.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maryann,
I'd like to echo the others to verify it that sounds like a double dose of Ketek. I've not heard of anyone taking more than 800 mg. (Not like everyone tells me their doses but you know what I mean.)

I herxed off the first dose of 400mg but it got better the next day. It was a massive amount of neuro stuff for me. I can't imagine what 1600mg would be like. (Yes, I'm a wimp but please double check the dosage.)

The samples I had of Ketek were 2 on a card saying 400mg but 2 were 800mg (400 each). The cards were confusing.

Also, ask your doctor for samples... this ABX is sampled a whole lot, that may fill you in for what you insurance doesn't cover.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
8man12
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7664

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 8man12     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ketek worked great for me, after about 4 months my stomach couldnt handle it anymore.Hope you do well on it.
Posts: 510 | From NEVERLAND.USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann in CA
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 97

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann in CA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD also has me on ketek (400 twice a day) and omnicef. Three months and no problems yet--just the occasional headache. I was down to pretty subtle symptoms before we switched to Ketek, so no there has been no real herx.

My LLMD is on top of all the latest info, so think you should really check that 1600 amount.

Best wishes.

Ann

Posts: 287 | From Northern California, USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MommaK
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MommaK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All!

My daughter was on Ketex for MYCOPLASMA, before we got the lyme/co-inf Dx. Mycoplasma was possibly transmitted by the tick bites we knew she had! At the time her lyme tests were neg but I asked for the myco test! I hate the lab report did not state which strain!

However she began to have trouble breathing the 2nd day after she started ketex. The dr (not llmd) said that was not common and switched the abx. When we finally found a dx and llmd he said that the ketex induced breathing problem could have been a herx! Every other Abx she has been allergic to has caused hives. Who knows?

Anybody else?

MommaK

Posts: 242 | From Mississippi | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement