LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » sun sensitivity and doxy - please help!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: sun sensitivity and doxy - please help!
trails
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1620

Icon 9 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been frying my poor nose to the crisp here in sunny cali all winter. last winter we had rain rain rain rain allllll winter---I never saw the sun. so we decided to do doxy this winter. and the sun decided to NEVER go away.

I took a walk without a hat 2 weeks ago and burned the crap out of my nose. I can not even GO NEAR the sun how--even rooms with windows...I must close the blinds. it HURTS.

I want to take a walk. A big sombrero wont even help. It is too warm to cover up my face with cloth. zinc doesnt work. what else can i do?

I guess indoor treadmill, although i HATE indoor excercise and dont have any equipment.

does anyone have tricks up their sleeves?

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
never had this happen,

The burning I got from doxy was neuropathy.

I always chose the greatest sun block.

There is also an herb that can be special ordered that stops you from getting sun burned.

Google it. I dont know the name off hand

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill E.
Member # 9121

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill E.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Trails,

I put this response also in StymieLymie's thread about Doxy and the sun. But when I was in Doxy, here in Southern California in the summer I burned through sunblock, took walks practically near sundown, etc. and was a mess.

I finally bought sunblock clothing from SunPrecautions (www.sunprecautions.com) with long-sleeved SPF shirts, hats, gloves. I had to wear gloves when driving or walking or would burn my knuckles.

I looked like an idiot but what can you do?

There are some exercise videos that are basically walking videos you can do indoors by Leslie Sansome so you might check those out.

Jill

--------------------
If laughter is the best medicine, why hasn't stand-up comedy cured me?

Posts: 1773 | From San Diego | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sickandtiredofbeingsandt
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sickandtiredofbeingsandt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on Doxy for three months but am now on IM Rocephin and I'm so glad to be off the Doxy. The sun stuff was absolutely killing me. So, I can empathize with you.

I would burn through the car windows and for me, my lips were the worst. They would burn first, then my nose and cheeks. My hands would burn if I didn't wear gloves.

Since I have 12 horses, I could not curtail my outdoor time but I would wait until the sun was behind the mountain before I did the evening chores. I would have gotten up before daylight to do the morning chores if I had that in me. I have a hard time getting out of bed in the mornings.

I would save the majority of the work for dusk and just try to limit being outdoors the rest of the time. I know that is hard for someone who likes the outdoors.

Maybe doing your walks at dusk and taking a flashlight with you in case you get caught out after it's dark would be an answer. Just a thought.

--------------------
Sick and Tired of Being Sick and Tired

Posts: 185 | From Colorado | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trails
Member # 1620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trails     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Herx, Jill and Sickof!

I guess I just needed to vent. there isnt really anything I can do I guess. Just stay out of the sun period.

I have done the gloves thing Jill and I have cut out citrus from my diet. Dusk walks seem like the best thing, but I am exhausted by then and/or eating.

excuses, excuses.
i know,
thanks again,
trails

Posts: 1950 | From New Mexico | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Avoid going out in the day but when you do go out I recommend hats & scarves!

Get a big wide brimmed hat. My favorites are made by Sloggers & sold at Agway & hardware type stores as gardening hats. $17. I always walk with my head down to block more sun.

I have several huge cotton scarves I wrap around my neck and also hide my hands under when walking around.

I keep extra hats, scarves & cotton gloves in the car. I used to wrap my hands in the scarf when driving but gloves are easier. I have super light white cotton gloves from The Vermont Country Store. You could probably get them on their web site.

Cross to the shady side of the street, seek out shade whenever possible. do mor ourdoor activities on cloudy days (still cover up).

Avoid sitting near windows.

Do errands at night.

Wear big dark glasses.

hats

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement