LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Article, Knowing the right question to ask your doctor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Article, Knowing the right question to ask your doctor
Foggy
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posted on Tue, Jan. 30,

Knowing the right question to ask your doctor
BY SAM ALLIS

Fact: A doctor in this country interrupts a patient, on average, in the first 18 seconds of a visit.

A prominent surgeon waited about a minute and a half before issuing his diagnosis to Jerome Groopman on his damaged hand. "He was dead wrong," says Groopman, who got four diagnoses from six surgeons. "And these are big names."

Fact: More than 15 percent -- some say more than 20 percent -- of medical diagnoses are wrong. At least half result in serious injury or death.

Groopman tells of a woman who saw close to 30 doctors for a constellation of ailments that gradually sapped the life out of her. She endured excruciating pain and was down to 85 pounds. Her immune system was failing and she had developed severe osteoporosis. All of them missed what was ailing her.

Finally, a fresh doctor asked a fresh set of questions. He listened to her and found that she suffered from a gluten allergy that prevented her from receiving the nutrients in the food she ate. After years of agony, she quickly recovered.

Fact: More than a quarter of all radiological tests, including CAT scans and MRIs, are misread. "Misdiagnoses are not rare at all," says Groopman, the noted oncologist and chief of experimental medicine at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, who assembled this data.

While the patient safety movement has led to major improvements in protocols to avoid systems errors, he points out, nothing has been done to address a more profound issue: how doctors think. And bad thinking is what causes countless mistakes. "No one talks about this stuff," Groopman says.

He is struck by the lack of independent thinking among the residents he leads on hospital rounds. "These are really smart people, and when asked for a diagnosis they download cookbook recipes on their computers," he explains. "If it's not that, they look blankly. How do I teach them how to think? I realized I didn't know how I think. No one ever taught me how to think."

Groopman addresses this touchy subject in a book, "How Doctors Think," due out this spring. In it are examples of bad thinking, including plenty of his own, that produced harrowing results. None of this is news to patients. Most of us know someone who has endured a misdiagnosis or have done so ourselves. My friend Barbara went through a year of agony because of one.

Groopman's first child developed a persistent low-grade fever and stomach pain at nine months. A doctor said not to worry, it's just a virus. The child's condition deteriorated, but the doctor remained unmoved. Eventually, Groopman and his wife rushed their son to an emergency room, where they learned the child had an intestinal obstruction that would have killed him had it gone untreated.

What went wrong here? The doctor sized up Groopman and his wife as neurotic first-time parents and built his diagnosis around that premise. At work, says Groopman, were two suspects common in these nightmares.

The first is what he calls anchoring -- where a doctor interrupts you, seizes on a symptom or complaint, and declares, "It's this." This snap judgment anchors all ensuing thinking. The second he calls attribution, to which women are particularly vulnerable, where assumptions about a patient are attributed to bad data.

Groopman tells of a woman with a newborn child and two young children who complained about constant nausea and diarrhea. "The doctor looked at her and decided it was stress, that she was neurotic," Groopman said. "So he attributes all of her complaints to the stereotype he has in his mind. I saw her a few months ago. She had been diagnosed with a tumor in her intestine but had been taking Zoloft for a year and a half."

Time is an insidious agent in all this. "In today's medical environment, the clinic is a factory," he says. "It's a world of eight-minute visits. The mistakes are made in the moment. Doctors draw immediate diagnoses rather than listen and pursue leads. And when complaints persist, they all too often cling to their first thought and even discount contradictory evidence.

"It's impossible to figure out a difficult problem in eight minutes," he said. "A doctor has one eye on the clock and one eye on a computer screen as he types notes. The truth is, you can't think well in haste.

"There is no generic best treatment to a serious problem," he says: "We delude ourselves to think the answer is the systems solution -- 'We'll give you an algorithm: if it's A then B then C.' You're got to know what A is in the first place."

Many in the medical community will bristle at Groopman's findings. Others will recognize the truth in what he says and, with luck, a few of the bean counters controlling medicine today as well. They can't dismiss the book. It is meticulously researched and written by a physician of stature.

"My argument is the solution for misdiagnosis is a patient or family member who knows how doctors think," Groopman said.

So what should we be asking our doctors, over and over?

"What else could it be?"

Sam Allis writes for the Boston Globe. Write to him at allisglobe.com.

Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann-OH
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 2020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann-OH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for posting this great article, Foggy!

I went to the Boston Globe and found the article. The title was so excellent:
Instead of "First, do no harm," he titled his article "First, do no assuming"

Scary how many diagnoses are missed or mis-diagnosed! Any Lyme patient has gone through that on an average of about 7 times!

Jerome Groopman writes for the New Yorker,and I love his work, so his book should be great.

Thanksagain,
Ann

--------------------
www.ldbullseye.com

Posts: 5705 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foggy,

Might be a good idea to send this link to Treepatrol to include in his NEWBIE links.

Hubby is going through this process right now -- new neuro has latched onto the idea that he has permanent brain damage from prior mercury toxicity. Of course the infectious disease doctor reinforced this idea by saying that hubby no longer has any persistent tickborne infections.

Also agree that the radiologists also make mistakes -- have 4 sets of G.I. xrays and 2 stomach CT's from recent ER visits -- lots of conflicting info.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ann-OH:

Instead of "First, do no harm," he titled his article "First, do no assuming"

Good one! I wish he had included info on the misdiagnosis of Lyme disease.....MAYBE he did??

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96223 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good article,

that is exactly what i ask all my dr. "what else could it be' I have asked every dr I have ever seen since being sick this question. I sure did get a lot of interesting answers.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement