LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone do juicing to improve immune system?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone do juicing to improve immune system?
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vachick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am looking into juicing (wheatgrass, fruits and veggies) but don't know what juicer is the best. I really can't tell if I should buy one with stainless steel parts or melamine/hard plastic parts.

I am careful about plastic touching my food but also do not want a bunch of heavy metals in my food either. aaargh. Not sure what is best.

Does anyone do this juicing things to boost their immune system? If so, any thoughts on the best juicer? Thanks.

Posts: 331 | From virginia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I bought a Champion juicer and use it irregulary....sometimes I just fast on juice.
The champion has metal and acrylic parts.

This is a new thing for me--I've noticed no benefits yet, but to me the claims of alkalinizing your cells makes sense.

There are many posters who say that when they lowered their meat intake/upped their fruit and veggie intake they had better results with their protocol.

I'm not advocating fasting on juice all the time, or that this will "cure" LD. I think it's just healthy to do so.

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
one of the juicers that spins the stuff around (like a centrifuge or milk separator) can extract more juice but is messy to clean . A champion doesn't reaquire cleanout while youre in the middle of juicing, but it leaves more juice in the pulp.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi VA -

champion juicers are Very Good-
I like them the best-

They work well and are Easy to clean--
easy clean is important--

If you have the money buy a champion--
--also easy to resale when finished using--

Look on ebay--

If you get a champion Make sure to put
a drop of salid oil on the shaft occansionlly --

If you dont the part that goes on there
gets stuck--wont happen with oil tho --

Juice is Very Good for you -
I drank carrot with other things-
ginger-beats-celleary-apple-garlic- ect-
for several yrs --

Helped me Alot --Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband and I have been "juicers" since last Christmas. He got a Jack Lalaine for Christmas in 2005 and we almost wore it out (alghough it's a good juicer - we just used the heck out of it).

We got a Champion this year and we love it. It doesn't do the leafy greens well, but we found if you chop them up with a knife prior to juicing it helps a lot. It's also very easy to clean. And the pulp is super dry - we get more juice with the same amount of veggies.

We juice enough for a week and put some in the freezer. A couple of days prior to needing more juice we take it out of the freezer and put in fridge to thaw gradually.

We juice:

Carrots
Spinach
Parsley
Beets
Celery
Bok Choy

It's deep red in color (due to the Beets) and we love it. I'm not a good veggie eater (fruits I have no problem with) so this is very helpful for me. We definately notice a difference. Also, I have "color" in my skin. (I am super fair in winter normally).

Some folks don't like just veggies in their juice (my sister says mine tastes like dirt LOL) so you can add fruits (Grannie Smith apples are good as they don't have a lot of sugar)

Happy juicing!

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few months ago, I was wading through all the informtion regarding juicing. I was exhausted thinking of all of the different ingredients, organic of course, and which one would make a decent tasting drink.

So, I decided to get my husband a nice green drink from the health food store. I saw the clerk put some of the rattiest looking greens into the machine. Now I know where they put the produce that doesn't sell!

Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 apples and 1/2 lemon with peel, best lemonade you'll ever have [lick]

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KENNEDY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KENNEDY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know of any juicing books. I think this is something I'd like to do. I always drank alot of juice, always tried to find juice all natural, free from artificial colors, no preservatives,etc.But I think I would get more vegetables in my diet if I had a juicer.
Where can you purchase the Champion Juicer? I've heard of the Jack LaLaine.
Thanks for any info on this.

Posts: 158 | From PA. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.discountjuicers.com/bestjuicer.html

http://www.canningpantry.com/pickingjuicer.html

The above are websites discussing brands/types of juicers. It appeared balanced in presentation, but they do sell juicers.

Northstar

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vachick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do people feel they are helping their symptoms and are worth the money?
Posts: 331 | From virginia | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think juicing helps my symptoms directly, but it certainly does provide a flood of easily absorbable nutrients that can be nourishing overall. This is especially good for people with impaired digestive systems. And I do feel better when I juice with some consistency.

Some people do believe it can help with various ailments and even re-build. I think it can affect lessor problems but I just don't think any vegetable/s in large quantities can disable LD bugs.

Drawback for me is the cleaning process. But our juicer is older and maybe has more parts, etc.

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vachick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8353

Thanks for the input.

I am not currently on abx due to digestive issues and I am trying to attack things by boosting the heck out of my immune system. I have heard that wheatgrass juice and other juice really is like super food, and I want to see if anyone here has started feeling better by going this route.

lalalu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lalalu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I swear by juicing! It is integral in health. I juice every other day, 1/2 hour after my AM supplements. I juice ginger, cilantro, spinach and carrot regularly. My chelation MD told me to masticate the juice because it stimulates the digestive enzymes.

Ginger is anti-inflammatory and an anti-oxidant. Cilantro helps to detox. Carrot sweetens the mix. and helps keep the liver clean. Look up these vegetables individually and juice...you can get a lot of info.

Copied from http://www.homesteadharvest.com/article12.html

It's to Dr. Norman Walker, PhD. that we attribute the modern juicing craze. Living in London as a young man before the turn of the twentieth century, Dr. Walker was overworked and filled with stress.

As a result, he became seriously ill. Determined to overcome his illness, Dr. Walker embarked on a life-long healthy eating program where he ate only raw (uncooked) foods, which he called ``Living Foods.''

After recovering from his illness, Dr. Walker went on to become a leading nutritionist, writing numerous books on healthy living and living to the ripe old age of 118.

--------------------
http://chroniclyme.blogspot.com/

"Illnesses, hover constantly above us, their seed blown by the winds, but they do not set in the terrain unless the terrain is ready to receive them."---Claude Bernard.

Posts: 131 | From US | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement