LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Do your PCR after taking grapefruit seed extract

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do your PCR after taking grapefruit seed extract
artur737
Member # 11151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for artur737     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On Polish Lyme Forum http://forum.gazeta.pl/forum/71,1.html?f=26140 we have a fellow who has become symptoms free after long-term antibiotics. Just to be sure that he was cured he has sent his blood for Borrelia PCR testing. The PCR surprisingly turned out to be positive. At the time of his testing he was taking grapefruit seed extract.
(He has being continuing his treatment since - if anybody is interested)

I made an association between this event and presentation of Dr. Brorson from Norway who claimed on the last ILADS congress that grapefruit seed extract was the most powerful agent for bursting Borrelia cysts. Possibly this agent opened up some residual dormant borrelia cysts and released their contents into the blood stream.

I have suggested to other Polish Lyme Forum participants the use grapefruit seed extract for three days before giving blood for Borrelia PCR testing.

Since then 3 forum participants have tried this approach and ALL OF THEM have been able to obtain confirmation of Lyme disease through PCR diagnostics.
Some of them used regular PCR, some used real-time PCR.

I hope this was not a random luck and perhaps we have discovered a better way of confirming chronic Lyme disease. I mean better than typically used Western blots that rely on presence of antibodies in the blood. PCR from blood (without grapefruit seed extract) is positive in only 10% of Lyme patients.
With this small chance of getting positive result with PCR from blood the calculated probability of getting 3 different persons PCR positive is only 0.1%. Chances that grapefruit seed extract increases test sensitivity are therefore very high.

I have decided to ask Lymenet participants to try this new approach the next time they want to be tested.

Please note that grapefruit seed extract might not go well with some antibiotics such as tetracyclines or macrolides. Also there have been some warnings against taking large amount of grapefruit seed extract due to contamination with benzethonium chloride in some brands.

I suggested doubling or tripling the dose suggested by a manufacturer of grapefruit seed extract for three days before sending blood for PCR testing.

I hope that these who decide to follow this approach report their findings on this board.

[ 08. February 2007, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: artur737 ]

Posts: 54 | From Canada | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meg
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 22

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Meg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting--if this proves to be true, it

would be an effective and cheap cyst buster!

Thanks Artur for posting this.

--------------------
Success Stories---Treatment Guidelines

Posts: 10010 | From somewhERE OVER THE Rainbow | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artur737
Member # 11151

Icon 1 posted      Profile for artur737     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Note that at this time I endorse grapefruit seed extract only for PCR diagnostics enhancement - not for treatment.
Posts: 54 | From Canada | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What ever came of this research? Did anyone get PCR testing and make the attempt?

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maureen2174     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmmmm....... why is it that grapefruit seed extract is not good to take with macrolide antibiotics?

I have always been on macrolide abx. and I take grapefruit seed extract.

Posts: 871 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artur737
Member # 11151

Has anybody tried this?
n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terri3boys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terri3boys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the PCR testing need to be through IGenex, or can it be done through LabCorp? I just spent a ton of $$$$$ doing IGeneX testing for Lyme and co-infections............and I'm waiting on my (hopeful) partial reimbursement!

I haven't been on any abx for way over a year, and my test results seemed "diluted" in a way. I'm told that after a good amount of time, those antibodies are harder and harder to pick up.

Even though I've been testing positive for a couple of new bands that haven't shown up before over the past few months through LabCorp, and now IGeneX........which I find interesting......makes you go "hmmmmm." (I was dx'd back in Aug. '07 and I've only tested through IGeneX 2x, but LabCorp many times.)

However, I'm sick of all the testing. It's like fishing in a big pond. Who knows what's going to be captured in that proverbial net? I'd like to have at least 3 of the same tests done at the same time to see if they come out with the same results!

I'm starting to think this testing roller coaster is a crap-shoot. I don't know. It's like you're damned if you DO and damned if you DON'T. I've had ALLLLLLL kinds of different methods for different dx's recently.........arrgggggggg!!!!

It's just so hard to believe the testing procedures are as unpredictable as this whole disease is. We've got pretty stable testing on HIV,etc., but not Lyme & Co. Very frustrating, but I understand (I think!) how hard it is to actually "capture" these miserable things.

Anyway, since I just did IGeneX ----- ya think it's worth a try with LabCorp a couple of times in the near future ------ with the grapefruit seed extract?

Just curious. Thanks!

Take care,

terri3boys

Posts: 268 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PCR is a different test, it tests the actual borrelia bacterium.

The western blot and the ELISA tests only test for antibodies, and lyme and co. actually lower antibodies, so that the sickest patients have the most negative test results.

PCR is not dependent on antibodies at all. Real-time PCR is the better method.

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terri3boys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terri3boys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for extra confirmation that "lyme & co. actually lower antibodies......."

I've been told exactly that same thing by doctors and others that this theory of the bizarre disappearance/reappearance of bands you've had shown up positive before showing up negative, and then NEW bands showing up positive, and then OLD bands showing up again positive ------ just pure confusion for me and certain doctors saying "Well, it looks like you're ALLLLL better!"

As far as the Real-time PCR, I've had that done as well. Don't remember what the result or testing method was right now........I've got to get off this computer. My hands hurt so bad, they're so stiff.

I just had to "re-comment!"

Adios for now,
terri3boys

Posts: 268 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what lab does real-time PPCR testing?? and anyway can be coved by insurance??

thanks

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement