LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Appendicitis with Lyme

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Appendicitis with Lyme
pigwit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pigwit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last Tuesday evening, lpkayak had an emergency appendectomy. She is finally feeling much better today.

She would appreciate input into possible ways that Lyme interacts with or influences appendicitis and/or recovery from the surgery.

Posts: 158 | From Ecuador | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From personal experience...kids and husband...all have had their appendix out...

more PRONE to depression.

Research serotonin - appendix. You may have to dig deep to find it.

May need "help" (as in 5HTP supp.) if NOT on Prozac.

IMO...far better to give the NUTRIENTS to make serotonin and let the body decide rather than to keep serotonin high...ongoing.

Prozac use now (very recent) linked to osteoporosis.

The levels are supposed to fluctuate as needed.

It should go without saying...be SURE to take probiotics as post surgery abx. will impact the "good guys". Take them one hour BEFORE meals with a full glass of water (to dilute stomach acids so they don't destroy the beneficial bacteria).

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember reading a thread here on LymeNet once and I was surprised at the number of Lyme patients who had their appendix taken out.

Might try a search.

Pass on my goodwishes for a speedy recovery.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
best wishes to kayak; glad she was able to go the lyme reetreat in conn.

for me, it was INFECTIONS ... so be careful; anything turning red/painful ... yell until you get help and abx for any infections as they come up.

out of 11 surgeries since my undiagnosed lyme, i had 2 staph infections while in hospital, and feel i got bad blood also for reactions from that. [Frown]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
YorktownNL
Member # 7657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for YorktownNL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I missed this post. My llmd believes lyme and coinfection treatment can fail because the critters remain in the abcesses of infection susceptible tissues like our sinus's, tonsils and appendix.

I had a rotten appendix for years....would flare up for a couple days and get better...my doctor, at the time, suggested that some people believe in chronic infections of the appendix.

One time it got bad enough that I went to the ER...I don't have an appendix anymore. It was interesting that the surgeon said the appendix was obviously infected and would likely have burst, but that time and time before it got better on its own (no abx). This was two years before the tick bite and EM that I know I had.

I had sinus surgery two weeks ago. The surgeon said deep infections in the sinus' especailly on the right, which agreed with my facial, ear and tmj on the right. No one seems to understand why I find it hard to believe as my sinus' were not symptomatic.

I lose my tonsils tomorrow.

I hope my llmd is right.

Mike

Posts: 87 | From Yorktown VA USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi everyone! thanks for the info and good wishes. i am still only "sort of" online. i just had my staples out...and had a really long-interesting talk with the surgeon...he says i know more about abx than him...wonder why!!!

he is "open" to a lyme.appendix relationship---also says there's a lot more going on than they "teach us in med school". he just "talked " to me in his office for half an hour or so...

can't stay long. gotta go see another doc. i might have pneumonia and have to deal with it before we get hit with this storm.

thanks again...i will be back to look at this when feeling a bit better.

[ 13. February 2007, 09:01 PM: Message edited by: lpkayak ]

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Thanks for this post! My appendix ruptured six months before I flared hard with Lyme.

They did an emergency surgery and I was on IV vancomycin for 7 days. I had the sweats and chills bad (Babesia?) and couldn't recover quickly.

My incision was from navel to pelvis (I look like a stuffed animal now) and it got badly infected and I was put on Levaquin and had bad tendon reactions and further fatigue and malaise (Bartonella?!).

It took 5 months before I started to feel a little better and then I got bitten by another tick! I got "ticked" when I was already down!

Makes you say "hmmmm...."

Thanks for talking about this topic,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope now that the staples are gone you'll be healing up quickly, lp. (my gallbladder sites felt a million times better after the staples were gone)

and that you don't have pneumonia and just start feeling better. Hang in there!

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
glad you touched base. that was excellent, "YOU know more about ABX/lyme than me!" yea; you're starting to educate him about lyme; great major step there!

keep on top of pneumonia if you have it. do all the necessary coughing. after my gallbladder was removed, i was coughing but apparently NOT DEEP DOWN, and 1 lung collapsed; miserable.

best wishes for a full recovery. [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The appendix and the tonsils (and more) are part of the lymph system.

Bb is carried "away" to the lymph nodes via the Langerhans cells (a white blood cell). It is not dead when it reaches the lymph nodes.

Go here for an easy to understand explanation of the lymph system:

http://www.tqnyc.org/NYC040719/lymphatic_system.htm

Oh, yes....it is VERY possible Bb is hanging out in the appendix and tonsils!

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi again! i'm doin pretty good. i have some great people helping to take care of me. this is the most serious surgery i have had...but with loving people around me and good docs i am really doing well. the fever is the lowest it's been...well it's normal for me. 97.2. and pain is reasonable. and i slept flat in bed all night last night-no recliner!!! so i think i am on my way. thanks for your comments!

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement