LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » acidic urine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: acidic urine
LisaS
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was having horrible back pain and just feeling horrible all together. So my llmd wanted me to do a pee test.

It came back with trace blood and very acidic. Ive googled and searched and found many causes.

But I havent seen any ways to remedy this. Anyone have any suggestions? My LLMD who ordered the tests is now in Florida for the week, so I cant ask him.

Im wondering if this has anything to do with why Im feeling so bad. Im very weak, shaky, depressed, can hardly stand, bottoms of my feet hurt...

--------------------
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1660435643

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if it has anything to do with your feeling so bad. I just want to tell you that I ALWAYS have traces of blood in my urine since my childhood and they never found a reason. I think it's the Lyme, or maybe Babesia (which is said can cause this and which I tested negative for).

The acidity of the urine can change a lot during the day. Mine can go from the highest level of acidity to the most alcaline level within a few hours - depending also on what I eat. Potatoes can make my pee absolutely alcaline.

There are test stripes to measure the acidity of the urine that one can buy in pharmacies (at least here in Germany). They are very cheap and you can control your pee during the day.

What I want to say: the acidity is probably not a problem.

Take care,

Gabrielle

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaS
Member # 10581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LisaS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you Gabrielle.

--------------------

Posts: 1078 | From Lake Geneva WI | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gabrielle said:

"There are test stripes to measure the acidity of the urine that one can buy in pharmacies (at least here in Germany). They are very cheap and you can control your pee during the day."

If they show too much acid... you might want to ask your LLMD to recommend a pH balancing formula?

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The old folk name for Babesiosis was "red water fever" and the water in reference was human wtaer/urine!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaS
Member # 10581

Frustratingly enough, all my coinfection tests came back negative. I couldnt believe it.

I know we shoudnt look for validation in tests but... I guess I still do.

Where do they sell these strips? At pharmacies? Thanks everyone.

--------------------

Gabrielle
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gabrielle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The test strips that I mean are simple litmus paper. You don't need the expensive urine testing strips with all kind of testing parameters on it. If you google litmus paper and urine you will get lots of hits.

But looks like I was promising too much when I said they are very cheap. I saw that in the US they seem to cost far more than here. I got a little booklet with 80 strips for 1,50 $, here.

Posts: 767 | From Germany | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debbiet
Member # 10608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for debbiet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear LisaS-

Bacteria thrive in an acidic environment. That is why an alkyline diet is so important. It represses growth and replication of the buggers. Meat is very acidic. Grains are acidic. Believe it or not, lemons aren't. There is a product called Pleo Alkala, by BioPure, I use 1/4 scoop twice daily. This along with an alkaline diet, lots of vegetables, the whole candida diet, helps to stop bacterial growth. Every morning I test my urine and salive pH with the test strips.
When I eat pooly, or the lyme and candida are out of control my pH's are acidic. When I am a good girl and all the planets are aligned correctly, my pH's are alkyline.

Hope this helps,
Debbie

Posts: 54 | From Clovis, California | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaS
Member # 10581

Yes it does, thanks Debbie.

Gabrielle, someone just IMed me that youcan get ph strips for cheap at pet stores! I would of never thought of that. But Iguess its to test the ph level in fish tanks.

Hey whatever works. Thanks everyone.

--------------------

AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found something that worked really well for me. I had been using the pH test strips and coming out off the charts daily for acid.

Then I started taking baking soda, which is very alkalinizing. I hate the taste, but I try to do 2 shots a day, mixing it with just enough water to take it in one slug and then usually with some sort of chaser because *bleah* does it taste bad.

Well the day after I started doing this my morning pH test strip went completely off the charts in the *other* direction -- totally alkaline.

I love it because it's easy and it's cheap and it works.

[Smile]

Alison

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
P.S.

Lisa, you metnioned that the bottoms of your feet were hurting. This is a symptom of Bartonella, which I have too. My siblings also have it but didn't test positive.

Also, your back pain, I was just wondering if it was upper or mid-back, i.e. pertaining to something going on in your liver or kidneys perhaps? That might pinpoint things more.

I got my test strips at Whole Foods, but it sounds like the pet store idea is pretty good and I'm sure way cheaper! I guess the best time to test is in the morning after you wake up.

Hope you feel better!

A.

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LisaS
Member # 10581

HI Alison, The pain is in my mid to lower back. It comes and goes throughout the day.

I think Im going to try that baking soda remedy. Sounds simple and doable.

Did your sisters ever test poitive for Bart? I dont know why we all pay so much money for these tests that are so inaccurate anyways!

My llmd did say he thought I had Bart. Hope you and your sisters are feeling better!

--------------------

5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi LisaS

If it where me, just to be on the safe side I would have ask to have the following 2 tests:

If you have back pain I would ask to have a blood test to see what your kidney function is.

Also maybe a urine culture to make sure it isn't a urine or kidney infection. Google urine/kidney infection & your symptoms are very similar. If you suspect a urine or kidney infection- dringing no sugar added crannberry juice can be helpful untill you can get in to see your doc.

That being said, here is a webb site that explains what foods can make your body more aklaine:

www.keytohealthclinic.com/alkalinediet.html

hope your feeling better soon
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Hi Lisa,

Well my sisters haven't been retested as far as I know. A lot of the time it's not the test's fault -- when we've had an infection for years the body goes into exhaustion and often doesn't produce any detectable antibodies.

Great advice from Dana - I was thinking it might be kidney related. Warm lemon water throughout the day can help flush out kidneys as well.

[Smile]

Alison

--------------------
 -

LisaS
Member # 10581

up for randi bear

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement