LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » inflammation in neck/head

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: inflammation in neck/head
scottie
Member # 9956

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scottie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have Bartonella and presumably at one point had Lyme. Current treatment is IV Rocephin and Rifampin. I think the Lyme probably has been erradicated but still working on the Bartonella. The Rifampin has helped remarkably with Bart and associated symptoms. However, I'm left with horrible fatigue and inflammation in my neck/skull. What can I do to further treat the inflammation? Whenever I turn my head to the right there is a 'creak' which is not painful but uncomfortable. I have a constant feeling in the back/inside of my neck that it's being squeezed - almost like not enough blood flow is getting through to my brain. Obviously there is inflammation going on. When I exercise it tends to get a bit worse. Please help!
Posts: 90 | From massachusetts | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry you are dealing with so much neck/head pain. If I had this kind of pain, I think I would see a deep tissue massage therapist and a chiropractor. It might help bring the needed circulation to the area. You might be able to get some insurance reimbursement, if you have medical insurance. Otherwise, it might not be practical.

Zyflammend is my favorite anti-inflammatory.

How does the exercise affect your fatigue? Sometimes it is best to hold off or just include light exercise. Are you drinking enough water?

Claire

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi scottie

I had the same thing. The best thing that has helped me with those symptoms is antibiotics. I was in physical therapy for it and saw a massage therapist for a long time who worked on my head and neck. It was before I was treated for lyme/babesia, it did help somewhat, but not the way abx did.

That kind of pain stinks so I hope you get relief soon.

[group hug]

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katcon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katcon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

I can tell you first Rocephin, and then Adoxa (another form of Doxy) really helped me alot with head and neck pain.

The back of my head would swell towards my neck. In August if you asked me to turn my head to the left I would almost pass out. My legs would collapse and I would get very short of breath. Back then my neck was in so much pain I would beg doctors not to touch my neck.

Then it progressive got better. In Sept/Oct if I turned my head to the left instead of completely collasping my legs would tremor.

My physical therapist and I were convinced it had something to do with blood flow to the brain.

Now I am happy to say I really don't have any neck issues, and my legs are more stable as well.

Hope this helps. If you can get Adoxa I would give it a try.

Posts: 175 | From Pa | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katcon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katcon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing I forgot to tell you, is that my physical therapist told me with my situation to definitely not go to a chiropractor.

Hope this info help. I feel for you because head/neck pain is horrible.

Posts: 175 | From Pa | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlisonP
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7771

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AlisonP     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Scottie,

I have the exact same thing! I also have Bartonella.

Let me ask, how are your neck lymph nodes? Are they swollen and/or painful or perhaps just overtaxed and dead? I am realizing that for me, my lymph nodes/throat glands might be the cause of my head/neck/base of skull/sinus/cranial congestion. As I am drianing the lymph nodes, my head congestion is really clearing up.

I'm using a combination of magnetic pulser and also just trying to massage the lymph area to increase drainage. Am also using some essential oils to try and increase circulation/oxygen/lymph flow.

I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner. It makes sense that stuff gets built up there and backs up into the head and even the chest, shoulders, etc. I had a sort of aha moment when I was perusing some of Dr. K's articles and there was one all about tonsils and how much they affect head congestion/infection etc.

So anyway, it's just a theory at this point, but I think anything you could do to increase cranial drainage would probably help a lot. Sometimes I feel like where my neck and the base of my occiput meet, it's just one giant rock! I have also found cranio-sacral work tohelp, but it is pretty expensive.

[Smile]

Alison

--------------------
 -

The obscure we see eventually. The completely obvious, it seems, takes longer. --- Edward R. Murrow

Posts: 923 | From California | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tailz
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm told so far that I don't have any coinfections, yet a course of wormwood, black walnut, and cloves caused me to pass little rice-like buggers, and I'm not convinced they are all gone. With how sick I've been, I can't believe I'm coinfection-free. I think I just defy science.

But to answer your question - I have excruciating pain in the left side of my neck and left shoulder blade (sometimes my right, too). It goes beyond muscle tension, and I can't seem to relax the muscles to allow blood flow to my head, neck, and shoulders.

I'm with Alison - she had amazing results with the silver pulser, and now she's having equally amazing results with the magnetic pulser. I'm going to order one of these (probably the MP) this week. If you need validation that these will help, pick up a copy of 'The Body Electric'. The author goes into great detail as to how we are all potentially able to regenerate virtually any damaged tissue or organ, with the proper electricity, of course.

He mentions both silver and magnetic pulses in his book. In fact, he mentions Lyme Disease briefly.

But until I get my magnetic pulser, I've found baking soda baths to be helpful. I put about 2 cups of baking soda in the hottest water I can tolerate (you could probably get away with 1 cup), and I sit there and soak until I sweat (and you WILL sweat). Sometimes I sweat almost immediately. Sometimes I have to sit there for a good 20 minutes or so. Just stay in the tub until you are done sweating.

My guess is that the pain is die-off, so detox as much as you can through your pores. Good luck!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canefan17
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 22149

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canefan17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anybody ever overcome this?
Posts: 5394 | From Houston, Tx | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shosty
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you had an MRI? This can also happen from osteoarthritis or whiplash. With spinal changes, there can be pressure on the spinal cord and/or arteries going to the brainstem, from bone spurs. Also, the vertebrae in the neck can move over or twist and cause pressure on those arteries.

The reason some people are told to avoid chiropractors is that chiropracitic adjumstments might pose a risk of stroke. However, they can do a more gently adjustment if you tell them what the problem is. Bring any MRI's or CT's.

My PT really hurt me and made the problem worse. I wish I had never gone. Now, I can't bend my neck back at all, so I can't look up, and I can't reach up. This was not true before PT. I only had trouble turning to right or left too far, before PT.

Chiropractic helped a lot though.

I am considering antibiotics to see if they help. My LLMD gave them to me again. But I also have ample evidence in MRI's that spinal issues are going on that have to do with bone.

Could be a combination, because my scalp is extra sensitive and I still have a lot of neurological problems.

Was treated for bx for 6 years, and hate to go back on. We'll see what happens.....Good luck.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement