LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Generics: Safety concerns, Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Generics: Safety concerns, Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedntx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I received this information from someone who wishes to remain anonymous but asked me to post it here:

<< The FDA searched the NJ US headquarters of Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals on Wednesday. It is probably a follow up to FDA's June warning letter to Ranbaxy. This could mean that the FDA will start seizing or recalling Ranbaxy product; unfortunately, the product that is already in the pipeline may already be in patient hands and may not be traceable.

Ranbaxy manufactures a number of antimicrobials, including a generic version of cefuroxime axetil (Ceftin). >>

[ 19. February 2007, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: tickedntx ]

--------------------
Suzanne Shaps
STAND UP FOR LYME Texas (www.standupforlyme.org)
(Please email all correspondence related to protecting Texas LLMDs to [email protected] with copy to [email protected])

Posts: 977 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
buried on page 2.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clpgotlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clpgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes, I take this drug. Does anyone know why it is being recalled?
Cindy

--------------------
Cindy

Posts: 227 | From VA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
usually with a recall there's a statement about what the company is suggesting the consumer do about it-and what to look out for in terms of negative impact. Anymore info ???

Hay or is that Hey- maybe I'll get rich in a class action lawsuit because I've been taking generic Ceftin for 9 months ! Maybe that's why I feel like this [dizzy]

Katcon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katcon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I would love to know why as well.

I took generic ceftin for five years.

Posts: 175 | From Pa | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
geniveve
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i took it for over six months and have several refills left. wonder if i should get it filled?

be interesting to know why they are recalling it.

lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They make a lot of generics. We don't know which ones are affected or why the FDA is involved. And there is probably more than one maker of such generics, so you people who are on ceftin should not automatically assume you got stuff made by these people and that it was bad.

I posted this info earlier, it was in the news, nothing confidential here. What we really need to know is why this is going on. Stay tuned, I guess.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nannie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nannie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The email does not say that there is a product recall. Is there any way to change the subject line so that it accurately reflects the safety concerns?

Also, Lou is right. Ceftin has been generic for several years, so there are multiple FDA approved generic manufacturers. My pharmacy stocks another generic brand of cefuroxime axetil (the generic form of Ceftin).

Posts: 183 | From US | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedntx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5660

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedntx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is some more info which I am receiving from a reliable source. I do not know any more than what I am posting. If you have questions, please contact your health care provider.

=======================================

From the Ranbaxy website: http://www.ranbaxyusa.com/

http://www.ranbaxyusa.com/newsroom/07-02-15.htm

PRESS STATEMENT

Princeton, New Jersey - February 15, 2007 -- Ranbaxy Inc., said today that federal officials conducted a search at its New Jersey offices on Feb 14, 2007.

Ranbaxy said that this action has come as a surprise. The company is not aware of any wrongdoing. It is co-operating fully with the officials.

Meanwhile, the company's operations continue as normal.

Ranbaxy Product list-NOTE: They also received FDA approval on Feb.7 for several dosage formulations of setraline (Paxil)

NOTE: this list may not include all FDA approved Ranbaxy generic drugs http://www.ranbaxyusa.com/generic/products.htm

ANTI-INFECTIVES

Product
Compare to
Form

Acyclovir
Zovirax�
Capsules and Tablets

Amoxicillin
Amoxil�
Capsules and Tablets

Amoxicillin & Clavulanate Potassium
Augmentin�
Tablets, Chewable, and Suspension

Cefaclor
Ceclor�
Capsules and Suspension

Cefadroxil
Duricef�
Tablets

Cefuroxime Axetil
Ceftin�
Tablets

Cephalexin
Keflex�
Capsules and Suspension

Ciprofloxacin
Cipro�
Tablets

Clindamycin
Cleocin�
Capsules

Doxycycline
Monodox�
Capsules

Fluconazole
Diflucan�
Tablets and Suspension

Ganciclovir
Cytovene�
Capsules

Minocycline
Minocin�
Capsules and Tablets

Ofloxacin
Floxin�
Tablets

CARDIOVASCULAR

Benazepril Hydrochloride
Lotensin�
Tablets

Enalapril
Vasotec�
Tablets

Flecainide Acetate
Tambocor�
Tablets

Fosinopril Sodium
Monopril�
Tablets

Fosinopril Sodium + HCTZ
Monopril -HCT�
Tablets

Lisinopril
Zestril�
Tablets

Lisinopril HCTZ
Prinizide�
Tablets

Quinapril
Accupril�
Tablets

Terazosin Hydrochloride
Hytrin�
Softgel Capsules

ANTI-INFLAMMATORY

Fenoprofen
Nalfon�
Tablets

Piroxicam
Feldene�
Capsules

GASTROINTESTINAL

Ranitidine
Zantac�
Tablets

CNS

Bethanechol Chloride
Urecholine�
Tablets

Buspirone HCL
Buspar�
Tablets

Clorazepate Dipotassium USP
Tranxene�
Tablets

Dextroamphetamine Saccharate and Amphetamine Aspartate Dextroamphetamine Sulfate and Amphetamine Aspartate
Adderall�
Tablets

Fluoxetine
Prozac�
Capsules

Lorazepam
Ativan�
Tablets

Midazolam Hydrochloride
Versed�
Syrup

DIABETES

Metformin HCl XR
Glucophage XR�
Tablets

CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES
(Narcotics/Barbituates)

Acetaminophen w/Codeine Phosphate
Tylenol� w/Codeine
Tablets

Codeine

Soluble Tablet

Morphine

Soluble Tablet

Opium

Tinctures

Secobarbital
Seconal� *
Capsules

Secobarbitol + Amobarbital
Tuinal� *
Capsules

* Sold under brand name itself.

Oncology

Tamoxifen Citrate
Nolvadex�
Tablets

http://www.ranbaxyusa.com/generic/index.htm

Introduction - Our Generics Line

Ranbaxy Laboratories Limited entered the US generic pharmaceutical market in 1994 with the filing of five ANDAs for Cefaclor and, upon approval from the US FDA in 1997, introduced the product under its own label, Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals Inc. (RPI), in January 1998.

Since then, RPI's generic line has experienced successful and dramatic growth every year. Today, RPI focuses on submitting 20+ ANDAs every year with an average approval cycle of 12 months.

This phenomenal growth is due, in part, to backward integration. Simply put, this means that RPI has total control of many of its products, by performing every step in the process from producing the active ingredient, to processing, manufacturing, and delivering the finished dosage form. This backward integration results in a greatly streamlined and efficient process.

RPI is proud of its popular anti-infective products, and also produces quality anti-expectorants, gastrointestinal products, cardiovasculars, NSAIDs, analgesics, and CNS products. Generic products are manufactured as capsules, tablets and suspensions, and are manufactured at FDA approved plants. Our products are sold through various chains, wholesalers, generic distributors and hospitals.

With 47 products and over 186 SKUs, RPI is poised for future growth and success with its generic pharmaceuticals line. Check back with this site as our generics line continues to expand and develop.

Safety concern:

Even if the physician writes DAW for a specific generic brand, it is becoming extremely difficult for the physician to ensure that their patient receives dispenses of the generic brand that they are writing the prescription for. Given that Ranbaxy has had documented manufacturing issues with BOTH the FDA and World Health Organization, and given the variation in binders, fillers and coatings between different generic brands, and the fact that these generic drug differences may cause differences in drug metabolism and/or absorption, and may cause issues with insulin control for diabetics, this is a growing safety concern.

Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2007 10:22 AM
To:
Subject:

To: ,

Thank you for taking the time to speak with me.

As we talked about, there are a large number of prescription drugs that have recently gone off patent, and popular drugs such as Ambien are scheduled to go off patent in 2007. It concerns us that the increased volume of prescription drugs and the increased number of generic vendors will precipitate stockpiling of brand and generic counterparts, delete.

Delete In addition, we are concerned that increased drug inventory volumes from generic drugs may also cause additional FDA oversight and compliance gaps beyond those mentioned in your report entitled Prescription for Harm . This may lead to greater numbers unsafe dispenses. Of particular note is the FDA's lack of day to day oversight of Indian manufactured generic drug components and/or finished products. Given that there are no FDA offices in India, and weak oversight on the part of Indian oversight agencies, delete name also has concerns about the FDA's ability to promptly and adequately respond to potential or current Indian drug manufacturing and oversight issues. Please refer to the attached FDA Warning letter to Ranbaxy Pharmaceuticals and the embedded Ranbaxy product and price list for more information

--------------------
Suzanne Shaps
STAND UP FOR LYME Texas (www.standupforlyme.org)
(Please email all correspondence related to protecting Texas LLMDs to [email protected] with copy to [email protected])

Posts: 977 | From Austin, TX, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nannie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nannie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 183 | From US | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, suzanne.
Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement