LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme Diet

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme Diet
Kayda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I was wondering about the Lyme diet. SOmeone said it is high fat, medium protein. Could someone elaborate? I've never heard this before.

Thanks!
Kayda

Posts: 582 | From midwest | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kay, in the newbie links/advise i sent you, look for LYMETOO/TUTU's yeast elimination diet link. i don't know which page since i continue adding to what i've sent you'/others! [Big Grin]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5547

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Search this out in the archives. Lots of opinions and info. Good fats, not necessarily high or low. Protein yes, Carbs? from broccoli....yes. From white food? (cakes, chips, candy, bread, rice, pasta, etc.)NO ............ for so many reasons.

Artificial sweeteners? NO !!! POISON!!!

Stevia ............ maybe. I use it. It is the safest sweetener IMHO. Bad yeast problem you should probably even curb the use of this herbal sweetener.

Again, please search this is the archives.

As many opinions as there are people.

Common to all healthy diets?

Lots of pure water. Take your weight and half that # ...... drink that # in ounces per day. i.e. 160#'s = 80 ounces per day pure water.

Lots Fiberous veggies...green beans, asparagus,spinach,cabbage,brocoli,leafy greens,etc.

Stay away from high suger veggies..... corn,peas,potatoes

Root veggies ok in limited amounts. But NO potatoes ..... yams instead.

CLEAN protein ..... chicken, fish (NOT farmed)watch the mercury!!, limited beef and buffalo. Use no ABX, no added hormone meats.

Fruit? Ok if you don't have yeast. Berries are best. Granny Smith apples=lower sugar.

Shop on the outside isles of the grocery. Better yet shop at the farm or farmers market.

If it comes in a box don't eat it!!!

Read what's in it .......... long lists with things you can't pronounce are not good and won't help and most likely will slow/harm your recovery.

Now is the time to learn how to eat healthy.... to the extreme.

Real butter in limited amounts. Margarine is a non-food and truly disgusting...my opinion.

Lots of probiotics especially if you are on ABX.

So much more to say but my brain is finished.

Hope this helps,
robi

--------------------
Now, since I put reality on the back burner, my days are jam-packed and fun-filled. ..........lily tomlin as 'trudy'

Posts: 2503 | From here | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would not do high fat, but a low carb diet is best. Maybe you read someone's post about eating fat while taking mepron. You have to eat something fatty when you take this particular drug [for babesia].

These links contain two good diet plans. Think healthy!! Give your body the chance it needs to recover from such an insidious disease!

Candida diet and elimination:
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html
http://www.wholeapproach.com/diet/
Lyme symptoms list compared with yeast symptoms
http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021202.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Kayda,
I think that was probably my post that confused you, sorry.

I was referring to the increase in cholesterol, esp. the bad kind (LDL) that most Lymies experience.

A diet high in good fats (like nuts, wild salmon, rice bran oil, olive oil, and coconut) can greatly help this in my experience, as well as lowering triglycerides and blood sugar.

I was worried about what would happen to my lipid levels now that I can't eat any fat due to gallbladder trouble.

You don't necessarily need high fat, but most Americans need more good fats.

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would have to agree with what everyone has said, with one exception.....

Stevia is very benefical in many ways.

http://www.happystomach.com/stevia.htm

http://chetday.com/stevia.html

Stevia - an Alternative for Sugar? (Stevia rebaudiana Bertoni)
by Karen Railey

Karen is the author of the popular eBook, How to Improve Fading Memory and Thinking Skills with Nutrition.

Stevia is an outstanding, sweet tasting herb that has remarkable health promoting qualities, yet it is an herb that has been surrounded by much controversy in the United States.

The sweetness of Stevia is largely due to its complex stevioside molecule that is composed of glucose, sophorose and steviol. A second compound called rebaudioside, which is present in Stevia, also contributes to Stevia's sweetness. Stevia has a taste that is unique and has been described as very sweet with a slight licorice, almost bitter aftertaste. Generally, high quality Stevia contains very little of this bitterness.

The sweetness of Stevia is much different than the sweetness of other natural sweeteners, sugar, or artificial sweeteners, but it is delicious. For some people the taste may require some "getting used to," but most people quickly develop a taste for it.

Stevia is a small shrub that is native to Paraguay where the native Gaurani Indians have used it for over 1500 years as a sweetener, a digestive aid, tonic, and topical aid in wound healing. In the late 1880's, a scientist named Moises Santiago Bertoni heard of the herb from Gaurani Indian guides while he was exploring the eastern forests of Paraguay. When he found the herb himself he announced his discovery of the "new species" in a botanical journal and was credited with "discovering" Stevia.

Stevia has many favorable and exciting health benefits and it is completely non-toxic. The herb is nutrient rich, containing substantial amounts of protein, calcium, and phosphorous, as well as sodium, magnesium, zinc, rutin, vitamin A, vitamin C, and over 100 phytonutrients.

Stevia is a helpful aid in weight loss due to the fact that it contains no sugar, no calories and has been shown to reduce craving for sweets and fatty foods. People have reported that consuming 10-15 drops of whole leaf concentrate 20 minutes before meals diminished hunger sensations. Also, those consuming the Stevia teas have experienced a reduction in their desire for tobacco and alcoholic beverages.

Because it contains no sugar and will not feed yeast, those who are dealing with candida can use it freely. The herb normalizes blood sugar levels and therefore promotes a consistent energy flow, unlike sugar, which causes a rapid peak in blood sugar followed by a crash then a craving for more sugar.

Stevia has been used successfully by diabetics and those suffering from hypoglycemia and it has been prescribed by physicians in Paraguay in the treatment of both conditions and for high blood pressure as well. It is interesting that Stevia doesn't effect normal blood sugar levels or normal blood pressure.

The Hiroshima University School of Dentistry and the Purdue University's dental research group have both researched Stevia and found it to retard plaque accumulation on the teeth and suppress bacterial growth that causes cavities. Many individuals have experienced improved dental health when they have included Stevia in their brushing routine, by adding the concentrate to their toothpaste and diluting it in water as a daily mouthwash.

Topically, Stevia has excellent healing capabilities. If placed on a cut or scrape, it stings initially followed by a significant reduction in pain and accelerated healing with no scarring. Whole leaf Stevia extract can be used as a facial mask by smoothing the dark liquid over the entire face, allowing it to dry for 30-60 minutes, then rinsing. This will help tighten the skin, smooth out wrinkles and heal skin blemishes and acne.

This has been reported to be effective when used on seborrhea, dermatitis and eczema, as well. Stevia is also beneficial for the hair and scalp; good results have been obtained by adding Stevia concentrate to shampoo, and also applying concentrate to the hair after shampooing, allowing it to remain on the hair for a few minutes, then rinsing.

Stevia has proven beneficial for many when used as a dietary supplement. Numerous people have reported that taking 20-30 drops of the whole leaf Stevia concentrate with each meal brought their blood glucose levels to normal within a short period of time and many have also experienced increased energy levels and mental acuity, and improved digestion and immune response.

Remember that each individual's condition and requirements are different. If you have a serious condition and wish to consume Stevia at high therapeutic levels, work with a nutritionally minded health care professional to determine how to include Stevia in your treatment program.

Stevia is available in several forms, the less refined being the most healthful. It can be purchased in dried leaf form, Stevia leaf powder, tea, or as a liquid tincture, extract, or concentrate. The leaves and powder are light to medium green and are not water-soluble. Stevia in this form is approximately 15 to 30 times sweeter than common table sugar (sucrose).

The liquid forms made from the whole leaf are very dark in color, dark brown to almost black, and come in different purities and strengths depending on the type and manufacturer. Read labels; additives are sometimes used in these products, and some are made with alcohol, some with water. Recently whole leaf Stevia has become available in tablet form, which provides a convenient means of supplementation when at work, traveling, or the like.

The refined forms of Stevia, which are the isolated steviosides, come in a white powder or a clear extract. The steviosides do not retain all of the health benefits of the unrefined Stevia products. Stevioside is generally 200 to 300 times sweeter than sugar. These refined Stevia extracts are safe and preferable to artificial sweeteners or sugar.

Due to Stevia's extraordinary sweetness, many manufacturers are now offering "Stevia blends," which are Stevia (usually in the form of stevioside) blended with malto-dextrin or other fillers. These are generally about four times sweeter than sugar and claims are made that these are easier to bake with. Again, read labels so you know what you are getting.

The sweetness and taste of all forms of Stevia can vary greatly due to a variety of factors including where and how it was grown, processing methods, and if it is diluted or "blended."

It has been said that the best tasting and most health promoting Stevia comes from Paraguay. This is due to the rich, fertile soil, pure water and air, the long hours of sunlight, and the expertise and knowledge of the Paraguayan farmers in growing and processing the plants.

Chinese Stevia products have proven to be inferior in purity and some have been found to contain high levels of pathogens. Stevia plants and seeds are available from a few mail order nurseries in the United States for those that have a green thumb or are adventurous and would like to grow their own. The plants can be grown in pots or in the garden.

As a sweetener and flavor enhancer, Stevia is very useful for baking and cooking because it is heat stable to 392� Fahrenheit and will not degrade. It is also excellent in smoothies, tea, breakfast grains, or sprinkled on vegetables and salads.

It does have some limitations and baking and cooking with these various forms may require some experimentation to determine which forms and amounts suit your taste and recipes. If you prefer to use the whole leaf products for the health benefits and aren't bothered by the green color it conveys to foods, then use those.

If green is bothersome then use the stevioside products. Because Stevia contains no sugar it cannot be used effectively in yeast breads, as they require sugar in some form, to activate the yeast and Stevia won't caramelize so can't be used for meringues.

Baked goods containing Stevia will not brown in the same manner as conventionally sweetened cookies, muffins, and other baked items. The easiest way to judge doneness is to stick a toothpick into the center to determine if the item is sufficiently dry.

Why has there been so much controversy concerning Stevia, a very useful herb with such great health benefits? Stevia was used in the United States in the 1980's as a sweetener.

Celestial Seasonings, one of the world's largest herbal tea companies used it as a flavoring in many of their teas until 1986, when without warning the FDA raided their warehouse and seized their entire stock of Stevia. The FDA gave no reason for this action; the company was simply told they could no longer use Stevia in their teas.

Prior to the 1980's Stevia was on the FDA's GRAS (Generally Regarded as Safe) list. Strangely, it was removed from that list at the same time Aspartame entered the scene and saccharin was found to be a carcinogen. In 1991 the FDA banned Stevia, claiming (as it still does) that it was an "unsafe food additive," even though it has been used extensively in South America, Japan, China, Germany, Malaysia, Israel, and South Korea, and is available in many other countries.

Stevia extracts are used in the Far East as a sweetener in items produced by American companies, such as Diet Coke and sugar free versions of Wrigley's gum and Beatrice Foods Yogurts, as well as for its therapeutic value. The FDA was forced to lift the ban on Stevia due to the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994.

Since that time Stevia has been legal in the U.S., but only if specifically labeled as a dietary supplement. It cannot be used commercially in food products as a sweetener or labeled as a sweetener. In 1998, the FDA made a raid on a Stevia producer located in Texas and attempted to burn all of the books in their warehouse.

One book relays the story of FDA's suppression of Stevia and another is a cookbook, which makes use of Stevia as a sweetener, not a supplement. There has been much speculation about the FDA's actions and policies concerning this beneficial herb, but evidence points to the very real probability that these things are the result of lobbying pressure exerted by chemical companies producing synthetic sugar substitutes.

[ 19. February 2007, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Lisianthus ]

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by klutzo:
You don't necessarily need high fat, but most Americans need more good fats.

I agree. I don't think we should overdo the good fats, like we Americans tend to do! We think if something's good for us, then more is better!

BTW, they have flavored Stevia now. It comes in bottles with an eyedropper. Really great stuff!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tdtid
Member # 10276

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tdtid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lisianthus,

Great information on stevia. I've been using it as my sugar substitute but had no idea of all the goodness contributed to it. Thanks for sharing.

As far as the diet, some great information here. I definitely see a connection to those watching their diet and feeling better and those eatting the box of chocolates (or whatever) and wondering why they aren't better. Good topic.

Cathy

--------------------
"To Dream The Impossible Dream" Man of La Mancha

Posts: 2638 | From New Hampshire | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NatalieA
Member # 7714

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NatalieA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi- I never heard of Stevia..where can you get it?
thanks
Natalie

Posts: 87 | From Clarksburg, NJ, Monmouth | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sienna
Member # 10980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sienna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Articles relating to 'Aspartame' and 'stevia' on
www.dorway.com

Posts: 67 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much everyone! I am learning a lot.

Some of the things discussed sound familiar and I may have heard or read about them before, but with my Lyme memory so poor, it is very difficult to keep things fresh in my mind. I may have to print things out and start taping them to the walls in my office so I can clearly see them and remember. It so hard to handle all the details with this disease and even tougher without the memory I used to have.

Perhaps this good diet will help my memory, too. I sure hope so.

Kayda

Posts: 582 | From midwest | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
missextreme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for missextreme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where can you buy the flavored Stevia? I get horrible sweet cravings and Stevia is the perfect sweet tooth satisfyer.
Posts: 204 | From Wyoming | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I eat tons of sugar and ice cream and cookies!!!!!

I have been doing great for years now.

The ONE WAY I have amended my diet since getting sick is:

I add the herb rosemary to as many meals a week as I possibly can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ledum is a relation of rosemary but without the toxicity.

Rosemary can kill you- it can be poisionous and liver toxic in large quantities, so I don't do rosemary tea or overdo it. But I DO add rosemary from the garden into as many meals a week as I can.
Luckily my husband and daughters are used to the flavor*)!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10565

What does Rosemary do? I'm missing something. ARe you saying you can eat all the sugar you want as long as you eat Rosemary?

Kayda

5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
don't eat anything that comes in a box.

I am no saint but do try to only eat what God grew. Skip the middle aisles & shop produce,dairy and meat department.

Blessings [Smile]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rosemary is anti-viral and anti-bacterial.

"Rosemary is for remembrance", remember?

That is for real- it helps keep the brain clear and memory clear. With me, I was going into dementia and also had progressive weakening I believe is from a TBE virus co-infection, which Ledum very close to rosemary- is a treatment for.
Rosemary is free and grows in my yard and it can't hurt as long as I don't down it in tea.
The oils can be toxic, even fatal, in large doses.

But I just think of those deer that manage not to get what I got living in these woods- and it is because I am convinced of all the things in what THEY eat- all th ose plants with anti-bacyterial, anti-viral properties. Rosemary is a powerful plant containing antioxidant phenolic acid. It is also a potent anti-inflammatory and I have massive inflammation still (if I go off abx!!).

ALSO, I used to think aromatherapy was BUNK- but even SMELLING rosemary (or traditionally lavendar as well, people put lavendar sachets under their pillows!) can make your cortisol levels go down!!! I will post that on another thread-

re Sugar- that is just because I enjoy sugar and sugar foods- and all kinds of food- and I led a life from Heck when I was really sick and want to enjoy things as much as I can!!! I think I **** off people in our local support group because when people start telling newbies "Don't eat this don't eat that!" I always chime in with, "Eat whatever you want, I eat tons of sugar, it's individual!" But WHO KNOWS maybe I would be in full remission if I cut that out*!*! (I don't really believe that btw*!
Take care,
Best wishes,
Sarah

1: J Agric Food Chem. 2007 Feb 9; Links
Characterization of Topical Antiinflammatory Compounds in Rosmarinus officinalis L.
Altinier G, Sosa S, Aquino RP, Mencherini T, Loggia RD, Tubaro A.
D.M.R.N., University of Trieste, Via A. Valerio 6, 34127 Trieste, Italy, and Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Salerno, Via Ponte Don Melillo, 84084 Fisciano (Salerno), Italy.

The topical antiinflammatory activity of three extracts at increasing polarity (n-exane, chloroform, and methanol) from the leaves of Rosmarinus officinalis L. (Labiatae) has been tested using the croton oil ear test in mice. Both the n-hexane and the chloroform (CE-1) extracts from the leaves showed a dose-dependent activity, the last one possessing an antiinflammatory potency similar to that of indomethacin, the nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug used as a reference drug (ID50 = 83 and 93 mug/cm2, respectively). The bioassay-oriented fractionation of CE-1 led to the identification of tritepenes, ursolic acid, oleanolic acid, and micromeric acid as the main antiinflammatory principles. Furthermore, the CE-1 extract obtained from the residue of the steam distillation of the leaves (extract A) showed the same antiinflammatory potency of CE-1, suggesting this waste product as a source of antiinflammatory products. Keywords: Rosemary; Rosmarinus officinalis L; topical antiinflammatory activity; ursolic acid; oleanolic acid; micromeric acid.

PMID: 17288440

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement