LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Flagyl, Tini, Plaquenil & peripheral neuropathy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Flagyl, Tini, Plaquenil & peripheral neuropathy
trueblue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7348

Icon 5 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am just starting Flaygl, last time might have been 10 years ago, I am taking it alone to start.

I have been on Tini and Plaquenil before and had miserable times on both. Peripheral neuropathy, major inflammation, joint pain and feeling like my whole body is full of acid.

Is there anything that takes this down? I'm only a few days on the Flagyl and it's coming on fast and furious. I am on a small dose. Is there any chance this will abate? Anything I can do?

(I'll push through if need be but with the other 2 the neuropathy from it never completely went away. It took a long time for it to improve at all.)

Or should I just call the doc tomorrow? I really hate to create more permanent damage. [Frown]

Is this typical or is it mostly me?

Thanks

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Katcon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9812

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Katcon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kind of have the same experience with Tinda, but I have stuck with it.

I recently just took a two day break because it is just to much to deal with.

I can say that it has helped clear up brain fog, and my breathing is much better.

Good luck, it's not easy.

Posts: 175 | From Pa | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyme4
Member # 10723

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peripheral neuropathy,

Could you please explain what it is when you stated that you came down with it.

I took Tinidamx and I don't know if it did permament damage to my neck and shoulders and tingling down my arm to my fingers. It feels as if I lifted something heavy and pulled a disc in my neck. I am currently wearing a neck brace to relieve the pain on the nerves.

I am scared to take it again.

You stated it helped with brain fog but are you scared to take it.

Lyme4

Posts: 60 | From RI | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure if what I'm describing fits the definition exactly. I'm talking about nerve pain, tingling, numbness... mine is kind of all over.

This came up on google, seemed as good a defination as any: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/peripheral-neuropathy/DS00131

I do know one thing, though. When I started Lyme treatemtn the neurologist that diagnosed me said the tingling, numbness and pain going down my left leg would never go away. She told me the myelin sheath was damaged. She was wrong, it did! Ha!

What I'm trying to figure out is if there'something I can do to minimize this or if, perhaps, it might resolve when I add the other ABX and Babs meds.

If not maybe better detox?

It could be I'm just a walking cyst form factory and this is what it takes to deal with them.

--------------------
more light, more love

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dahling!

If you are experiencing peripheral neuropathy with flagyl or tinidazole, you should call the doctor, let them know and you will probably have to stop taking it. I would guess you will not be able to take it because it has happened to you before. What is the dose, per day?

Maybe you can do herbal cyst busters?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...
Drat! It's never happened with Flagyl before but I haven't taken it in around 10 years. I'm only taking 125 mgs so far. I was supposed to start on 250 but figured I'd test the waters. I was gonna raise it tomorrow.

This will throw a wrench into the works. I thought I had a new plan.

What would an herbal cyst-buster be? I'm not even sure this was meant to be busting cysts. (I was supposed to add Babs meds to it next month.) Unfortunately, this doc is not going to opt for herbals. [Frown]

Tini was very bad, I was on a massive dose for 2 months when it first came out and then said no more.

--------------------
more light, more love

lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Callyour Dr first and get his input... and

DETOX DETOX DETOX!!

Wear those patches on your head if need be [Big Grin]

Milk thistle, milk thistle, milk thistle

Water, water and more water.

Sauna if you can find one.

[group hug] [group hug]

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

quote:
Originally posted by lymeinhell:
Wear those patches on your head if need be [Big Grin]

[group hug] [group hug]

[lol] ok, gotcha!

I've been drinking pretty good but my face started burning since I posted this and broke out in a rash,. Feels like someone rubbed a cat on my face. [Roll Eyes]

ok, rash is clearing, drinking, patched, took milk thistle...

smokey [Wink]

(I'll call tomorrow, in between parts of the stress test. I can't believe the level of fun we get to have sometimes.)

--------------------
more light, more love

5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry you have to go threw this true [Frown]

very good idea to cal your doc first thing....

could you ask him/her to start on a lower does & work up?. I have heard some people taking a sliver & working up from there. If your cyst count is high you may not be able to tolerate even a 1/2 or a 1/4 dose.

A natural cyst buster has been talked about lately is GSE.

Here's the link:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=051668#000002

Blessings [Smile]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Thanks, Dana, and Happy Birthday again! [group hug]

I started with 1/4 dose. I'll call them. I don;t think I've been given a cyst buster for 6 or 7 years. I think this was intended as run up to Babs treatment. I'm not sure we thought out the possibility of being extremely cysty or totally protozoa infested, whatever...pfffft. I just want soemthing I can tolerate so I can work my way up to real treatment.

I did take GSE for a few months but couldn't tell if it did anything at all. So stopped when I stopped everythign for a while.

you might be right maybe 1/8 is a better dose. It just seems so absurd. I'm not getting any other Flagyl side effects, no metal mouth or gastro stuff at all. Go figure.

--------------------
more light, more love

5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry True

I can't get the link to drug digest on tindamax

but if you click on the link & type in tindamax in the search box there is some mention of numbness & tingling in the hands & feet, but not in the whole body. Could be a drug reaction or lyme herx? Don't know.

www.drugdigest.org

Hang in there [group hug]
Dana

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Thanks Dana!
I did google Flagyl a few times today and PN was listed as one of the side effects to call your doctor about. I'll do that and see what they suggest. Cut dose, pulse, whatever...

I spoke to a friend that told me this happens on Flagyl but didn't linger very long after stopping like it did with Tini. That makes it less scary.

It could be a herx but such a tiny dose, hmmm... the problems I had in Tini were at 2000 mgs/day. That wasn't fun at all. I wouldn't opt for 2 months of that again. yikes!

--------------------
more light, more love

5dana8
Member # 7935

sorry True

Got my drugs mixed up...I meant to say type in flagl. I am space case today [bonk]

--------------------
5dana8

trueblue
Member # 7348

Ha, Join the club! [lol]

I did know what you meant though. And thanks!

--------------------
more light, more love

Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, could you pulse it, like 1/8 dose once per week.

Heh, like I know anything about this.

[Roll Eyes]

What I do remember is that several years ago, someone who got peripheral neuropathy from medication, kept on taking the med anyway.
And then the neuropathy wouldn't go away.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Heh that could ahve been me. [Wink]

I'm going to investigate the pulsing option. Thanks Carol! [hi]

--------------------
more light, more love

trueblue
Member # 7348

I called... my answer was keep going. [Roll Eyes]
Taking a few days off and examining my options.

Thanks for the responses, guys. [kiss]

--------------------
more light, more love

serendipity
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi True,
Sorry you are going throught this. [kiss]

Permanent neuropathy does not sound good. When I was on Artemesinin 800 mg twice I day I developed a stocking an glove neuropathy in my feet & legs as well as my hands & forearms. It did go away completely. I was frightened at that the time that I had created a new symptom.

Taking a few days off seems wise.

Oh- I don't know of any herbal cyst busters. Some think perhaps aretmesinin is one. Just a thought.
On another forum someone suggested taking salt/Vitamin C while on anti lyme herbs to fight cyst formation.

Truly, I had nothing meaningful to add. Just wanted to stop by, see how how you are doing and say hi

Posts: 628 | From the south | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Hi Ser,
Thanks for telling me the neuropathy went all the way away.

It has before but comes around now and again. I was kind of surprised that it happened. First my joints went wild and all popping more than usual, then muscle and foot pain, like bruising, then the burning, swelling, numbness, tingling thing. It could also have been from stopping the other meds abruptly and switching. Perhaps ABX are anti-inflammatory after all. I never felt that effect but maybe I had nothing to compare it to.

This type of thing is way strange and I'd just as soon forget it happens. I skipped today and just drank tea and did whatever I could think of to take it down. It's better just my hands and feet feel swollen.

I think Artemisinin might be a cyst buster, as well. It sure does stir some stuff up, that's for sure. I don't know it just makes some sort of weird sense to me.

Anyway, I backed off and will regroup. Thanks [kiss]

Actually, I have been doing way more strenuous chores the past few days and that probably isn't helping matters.

--------------------
more light, more love

serendipity
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8474

Icon 1 posted      Profile for serendipity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello True,

I'm glad you are in a better place now. Not only did the neuropathy go all the way away, the long term tingling in my fingers is gone (that was neuropathy too but I never labeled it.) Just noticed this the other days. So many symptoms and so little time to record them. [Roll Eyes] Hard to know when to push through and when to take a break.

For inflammation Noni and Tumeric (plain old cooking herb from the grocery stores) come to mind. Along with Omega-3s.

For swelling have you tried heat/ice packs?

Feel better my friend [group hug]

Posts: 628 | From the south | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement