LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » HELP!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP!
LookingforHope
Member # 9680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LookingforHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I truly must say I finally understand herxing.
I call my LLMD office today as I am in so much pain after starting IV Doxy on monday. It seem as after each dose I am getting worse. I have joint pain, neck pain, headaces, stmoch upset, low grade fever, and am os tired.

The office call back and said I was herxing, and that I have two options. I could take a break for a week and start up again, or try to te thought it.

I am going to try to get thought it. But at what point do you stop and wait? When do you know this is enough on my body? Does it hurt to keep pushing (other then the pain we are in)?

I am still new to this, any input would be great!

Thank you

Posts: 51 | From Des Moines, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When herxing, my LLMD rec'ds a diet without tomato, potatoe,green peppers,
eggplant and spices.

He says you can use salt and pepper.

He also recommends benadryl elix-12.5 mg 3 x a day and 25-50 at night.

Added in extra vitamin C and magnesium

Everybody is different. There is gain in pain, but you need to decide how bad you feel.

Some members pulse meds or back down for a few days.

There are many more here with more expertise that can give you additional info.

Go to the newbie site and check out the info on herxing.

That helped me a lot.

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lioness
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10655

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lioness     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LookingforHope, My doctor warned me about herxing, but I STILL called hysterical when it started. It was SO bad.

I was given the same option, tough it out a little longer, or take a break.

I decided I would tough it out. I did not want to go through the process from the beginning again. I knew I needed to "keep walking/crawling through it to get to the other side"

And I did, the herxing became less and less over the months I was on treatment.

Unfortunately, I needed to stop treatment for a few months, and have only recently gone back on.

I am trying to keep my diet clean, get LOTS of sleep and detox at some point. And, I drink TONS of water.

But only you know your body and when enough is enough. I do believe most of us have to go through it to get through it though.

I hope you feel better soon!

Posts: 240 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I herxed hard, I stopped the meds until I felt a little better, then started back up. One time I did not listen to my body and I got so ill I had to stay off the meds 2 months.

THAT puts you BACK, not forward. So be careful! We don't want to hear reports from you in the ER.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 9 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[group hug] [kiss] [group hug] amy, so sorry to read how sick you've been.

i haven't done iv! but my advise; trust your GUT FEELINGS; if they say to quit...QUIT!

tutu gave you some excellent advise as well. we all learn thru trial and error.

wishing you PAIN FREE days ahead! [group hug] [kiss]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clairenotes
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 10392

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clairenotes         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a link to a topic called "How to minimize a herx." There might be something helpful there.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=052261

I am all for going slow, too, in these situations.

Claire [group hug]

Posts: 1111 | From Colorado | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would just repeat, "The only way out is THROUGH!" and try and be grateful that I was responding!! Imagine if you DIDN'T Herx- now THAT would be terrible- the worse my Herxes were the more grateful I would be because I knew that waa how much better I would get when I was better*)!*)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The more the Herx the more the gains!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beverly
Member # 1271

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beverly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herxing stinks, but it will pass, hang in there.

When I herxed really bad, I had to stop my meds for a few days. I drank lots of lemon water too, that seemed to help somewhat.

Feel better soon. [group hug]

Posts: 6638 | From Michigan | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LookingforHope
Member # 9680

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LookingforHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well today is about the same I was able to get some sleep last night, but the pain it still really, bad I am still not sure what to do!

Right now I am still trying to fight though this herx, but if get much worse I am going to call and see if we can slow down, I really didn't like the hole stop for a week.

Can anything bad come out of a herx, anther then the pain?

Posts: 51 | From Des Moines, Iowa | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement