LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Methylcobalamin B12?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Methylcobalamin B12?
Silverwolf
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where can I find Methylcobalamin type B12?

I can't do IV's or more injections right now [$&^$%#@# Insurance... [Mad] ] tho' my LLMND team suggest the IVs[1x a wk.].

We are in e-mail contact w/ My LLND,but it takes a couple days sometimes to get the info'. I am asking them for info too.

Is there an oral form of Methlcobalamin,that might help?I've looked on the net but am not really sure which companies would be a good safe source?

I am supposed to be taking Magnesium as well but can't do the IV deal right now.

I did at least get started om some Doxy' now that I am off of the Rocephin for a while.I've been having some really rough migraine issues,and IBS problems.

We are having some issue w/ the Local 'Ducktor' who was helping me get my Rocephin-Injection prescriptions etc. He's decided that since the LD didn't respond as well as it should have,per his tho'ts.That nothing else is gonna help.

I guess to his way of thinking...I should just live w/ the headaches,pain,brain and nerve problems and etc. He's pretty much 'Steere camp'.My LLNd tried to enlighten Duckter...but I don't think he wants to be in the light about this... [Frown] .

Sorry I'm wanderin' off subject a little here. Any thot's or info'about the Methylcobalamin would be greatly appreciated!

Just the Silverwolf in Boots

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi bonny,

i got my b-12 INJECTIONS WITHOUT GLUTEN OR CASEIN/DAIRY products from a COMPOUNDED LAB.

if you need compounded meds, do a search typing in compounded labs
MEDICAL
SUBJECT LINE
ANY DATE providing you EDITED MY PROFILE to show the longest period of time vs. default period!

membership no. 6147, that's my no.

i showed name of lab/state and $$$. good luck.

[Big Grin]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Source Naturals, Advanced B-12 Complex, 5 mg, 60 Tablets
SRP: $29.98
Our Price: $16.49
http://www.iherb.com/store/ProductDetails.aspx?c=Herbs&pid=SNS-01481

Advanced B-12 Complex� combines the two active, coenzymated forms of vitamin B-12 - methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin (dibencozide) - with folic acid.

Suggested Use
1 tablet daily. Place tablet under the tongue and allow to dissolve slowly.

If you do a search at iHerb.com for methylcobalamin, you'll find other brands too.

Hope this helps.
Carol

Posts: 6949 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notkrazybrian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notkrazybrian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do injections of b12 Cyannocobalamin whats the difference between that and b12 Methylcobalamin.
Posts: 217 | From Everywhere | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notkrazybrian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notkrazybrian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the info, is this b12 available at normal pharmacys?
Posts: 217 | From Everywhere | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catalysT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catalysT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Methylcobalamin IntraMuscularly, I've not heard of people getting rx'd IV before.

My LLMD sold/prescribed me a bottle for like $50 or something. It contains 10,000mcg/ml. I take 1cc (10mg). I do the IntraMuscular (IM) injections myself, and they are painless.

I just had to get needles rx'd. I would only recommend getting Methylcobalamin. Definetly don't get cyanocobalamin, and methyl is still way better than hydroxy.

Adenosylcobalamin (dibencozide) does do something that methylcobalamin doesn't, but if you have to choose between the two get methyl.

I've been taking 10mg/day for the last few weeks. Definetly has helped me.

--------------------
"You know, the worst, meanest, nastiest, ticks in the world are politicks," - Steve Nostrum

Posts: 242 | From South NJ | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 14 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my b12 shots were recently reimbursed to me 100% by iowa's bcbs in last 2 weeks!

this is part of the $ 4300 i'm pushing to get paid using iowa's insurance commission, market regulation bureau and their attorney has sent me 2 letters himself including this week.

i had met my $250 deductible for RX meds 3-6, so my 6 compounded RX meds for everything WERE/ARE all being reimbursed.

llmd office visits, $1,000 supplements, and 4-5 body lab testings from Genova/rocky mt. smokies lab, Meridian, etc. were resent back to me this week also RESUBMITTED for unknown reason. ALL DENIED AS WELL!

1st time being notified since i started sending them my llmd bills 4-06 thru 9-06! was 10 months to get ANY REPLIES in writing from them.

i'll send the insurance commission attorney another letter this week appealing it thru them again,

and send off my OFFICIAL APPEAL TO BCBS for the rest of the $4300 NOT paid; "not covered".

! i read my bcbs program 3+ booklet tonight. in there they said, "YOU CAN REQUEST A COPY OF WHY YOU TURNED DOWN SPECIFIC REASONS"! SO YOU BETCHA, I'LL REQUEST THAT MONDAY

have you folks ordered your FREE copy of these reasons for your appeals process? i highly recommend it. by knowing the specific reason, i can look at their booklet, and fight them back using their own words.

in there, it said also for bills WE submit ourselves, we should have answers of payment or denial within 30 days UNLESS THEY NOTIFY IN WRITING. then they had more stuff after that.

they FAILED EACH TIME TO LIVE UP TO WHAT'S IN THEIR BOOKLET; I'M GOING TO NAIL THEM ON THAT TOO! yes, i can read their books, and enforce them upon them too! [tsk] [toilet]

debbiet
Member # 10608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for debbiet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi!

Hydoxycobalamine is available also. Biotics brand has it. This is avaiable thru a chiropractor or google it online. Hydroxy is less toxic than the methl compound.

Trader Joes has a sublingual B12, folic acid. It is about $7.
Deb

Posts: 54 | From Clovis, California | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonsmith
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasonsmith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, what's the best oral B12 to take? And where would be the best place to get it at?

Thanks

Posts: 310 | From TN | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debbiet
Member # 10608

Icon 1 posted      Profile for debbiet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dear Jason-

The type of B12 you need depends on your

sensitivities. Some people do well with

cyanocobalime. That does have a

cyanide "moiety" (section) attached to the

molecule. People with mutiple chemical

sensitvities cannot tolerate cyanide. They

cannot metabolilze it. I use methylcobalamine

IM. Also, in time of need I take B12 2000 by

Biotics that is Hydroxycobalime, which is the easiest for your liver to metabolize.

You need Vit. B12 to help heal the myolin sheath which wraps around your nerve fibers. It helps heal your nerves.

hope this helps,

Debbie

Posts: 54 | From Clovis, California | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notkrazybrian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10621

Does anyone know of any place online where I can get either Methyl or Hydro b12 for injection/shot?
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The injections work really well.
There is a huge range in price from compounding pharmacies. I once paid $425 for a month supply, and at another one, $99 for the same exact thing! Do your research!

You will know if it is working if your urine turns pink, which is normal. The oral version never did anything for me. Injections for 6 months increased energy and stamina big time. Good luck!

bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 10 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i paid $77 included $2 to send to me from:

PRESCRIPTION CENTER, LACROSSE, WISC. [Wink]

MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine (subcutaneous injections, doesnt' hurt at all) comes from McGuff Compounding Pharmacy (obviously this is a prescription item- McGuff mails it to me along with a pile of paperwork). I got the syringes prescribed at the same time of course and just picked those up at a regular pharmacy.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonsmith
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasonsmith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
debbiet,

That oral B12 you recommended, is that a tablet? Or does it dissolve under the tongue?

Thanks

Posts: 310 | From TN | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catalysT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catalysT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by debbiet:
hi!

Hydoxycobalamine is available also. Biotics brand has it. This is avaiable thru a chiropractor or google it online. Hydroxy is less toxic than the methl compound.

Trader Joes has a sublingual B12, folic acid. It is about $7.
Deb

Methylcobalamin is not toxic in any of the doses adminstered therapeutically, in fact it helps counter toxicity of other things in the brain.

I don't know where you got that information but I'm pretty sure that's incorrect. And Methylcobalamin is more helpful for neurological problems than hydroxy, especially being a Methyl-Donor.

Despite what some people will tell you, I think IntraMuscular injections of methylb12 are way more effective than any dose of sublingual or oral. You can however get 5mg methylcobalamin sublingual tablets by Jarrow brand, at major vitamin stores like iherb and vitacost.

--------------------
"You know, the worst, meanest, nastiest, ticks in the world are politicks," - Steve Nostrum

Posts: 242 | From South NJ | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silverwolf
Member # 9196

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silverwolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!!! Thanks <<<<< All'a'y'all Lymers >>>>>
who have posted info' and discussion about this w/ the Methylcobalaminand various forms of B12!!!

It gives me a direction to go as to looking for safe oral Vitamin B12!!!
perhaps a time will come when we can do IM's again or an IV,but for now I have to settle on oral meds.

I was able to use the info here to help a friend w/ Lupus [and yes I am suspicious she may also have LD,but her "Ducktors" don't want to hear of it].

Friend has been taking the Cyanocobalamin,and was wondering about its safety where her kidneys are just finally starting to heal. I gave her the info' on why the Cyano' isn't real safe w/ kidney issues. Her Drs. had mentioned some concerns too.

Thanks again to each contibutor!!! Love SilverWolf in Boots!!! [Smile]

--------------------
2006,May-August2006 Dx w/ Lyme/Bartonella/White Matter Lesion Disease on Brain.
[ Clinical Dx w/ two positives and several IND's on the tests from Igenex ], Prior Dx of CFIDS/CEBV 1992, and FMS '93-'94
Diabetes*2 Dx 10/'08

Posts: 3581 | From SE Idaho | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notkrazybrian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10621

I found a website overseas that sells all three types of b12 injections, and just about any other vitamin you want to inject. I dont know how safe it is or reliable tho. Anyone else have experience with me?
http://www.zalmo.com/vitamins.html

notkrazybrian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10621

haha i meant THEM
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, my cost through the McGuff pharmacy service (they're in Southern California by the way) was something like $30 for 10 ml (I inject 1/2 ml every few days, so that lasts a while).

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andie333
Member # 7370

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Andie333     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do methyl injections several times a week. They give me a big energy boost and also help with neuro symptoms.

I get mine from my LLMD.

Posts: 2549 | From never never land | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement