LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Early A.M. Waking Up - HELP?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Early A.M. Waking Up - HELP?
Laurie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laurie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel half dead while writing this and hope somebody can suggest something...this is going on way too long...I am talking about early morning awakening and not being able to go back to sleep. I have the most comfy mattress in the world, room-darkening shades, I live alone and my monster cats who knock things around all night have their own bedroom in the cellar. There is no reason for this waking up at 5:30-7 AM every single day including weekends. Yes, I do sometimes have to go to the bathroom of course, but never before have I been unable to "shut off" again after that. It's been about 6 weeks now.

I normally stay up and watch part of the 11 PM news, might read a bit, then turn off the light and conk right out. I have NO trouble with that (I can fall asleep anywhere), and frequently I sleep all night without waking up. It's this morning thing. I'm not saying I have to sleep until noon every day, but this isn't enough sleep for me -- I just have too much to do during the day and I can't accomplish anything because I feel like I have a constant hangover. I am literally out of breath with exhaustion and often feel I shouldn't be driving. I look like death warmed over.

Talked to one doc about it and he says I should up my Elavil at night in hopes of sleeping longer. I'm willing to do this, in fact I took a sleeping pill (Ambien) a few times to see if I'd sleep longer with that. I didn't--I only woke up early feeling worse than ever. I just don't know. Everything is taking me three times as long. I usually lay down around 5 PM to watch the evening news and frequently I'm out like alight from sleep deprivation. I'm pretty depressed and can't do much even though I don't feel sick -- it's just this exhaustion from not sleeping long enough.

If anyone has ANY thoughts please let me know. Here's what I take:

Neurontin** 2100mg/day (2 AM, 2 afternoon, 3 PM) (neuropathic pain & parasthesias)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trileptal* 1500mg/day (1 AM, 2 PM) (mood stabilizer)
Tranxene* 7.5 mg up to 3/day as needed (anti-anxiety)
Prozac** 80mg/day (2 PM) (anti-depressant)
Elavil* 25mg/day (1 PM) (help w/neuropathy)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lipitor 20mg/day (1 AM) (high cholesterol)
Prilosec* 20mg/day (1 AM) (gastric reflux etc.)
(Additional Aciphex as needed)
Ventolin inhaler* as needed (asthma)
Singulair 10mg/day (1 AM) (asthma & allergies)

Armour Thyroid 150mg/day (1 AM) (underactive thyroid level)
Climara patch 0.05 weekly (hysterectomy 2002)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Allegra, Allegra D, steroids, steroid nasal sprays etc. as needed
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Arthrotec et al, as needed

Milk Thistle, Multi-Vitamin/Mineral, Echinacea, Mucinex [sleepy]

WHAT I HAVE BEEN ON AT VARIOUS TIMES TO TREAT THE LYME/SUSPECTED BABESIOSIS: Doxycyline, Biaxin, Zithromax & Plaquenil, Omnicef, Septra, Mepron, Malarone, Nystatin, Diflucan, 3 wks Rocephin (as needed; all with varying results)

Posts: 459 | From Connecticut - just across the river from the Lymes (Old Lyme, Hadlyme, East Lyme, South Lyme & Lyme) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kendrick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10990

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kendrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would sing you to sleep, but maybe you can have someone do that. Other than that, I'm sorry that you're going through this.
I've heard Melatonin(it's Over the Counter) is good, but you really have to be careful when taking so many medicines, because of interaction.
Definitely consult a doctor before taking anything.

--------------------
Never walk through a cornfield backwards.

About me(Yahoo): http://360.yahoo.com/profile-NR1Y8cw6fqhtrewwItSlfsgQDIhaOojd

Posts: 315 | From Florida | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may have already tried all the following, but in case not let me list things that mess up my sleep:

* caffeine - try eliminate all of it, including that hidden in things like chocolate

* don't eat anything within 3 hours of bedtime

* take no naps during the day

* careful with melatonin because it tends to polarize the immune system toward Th1, something most lymies are already suffering from an excess of; for example, melatonin gives me headaches

* is your mind active when you wake early in the morning? if you are worrying about things, try to replace those thoughts with more relaxing ones

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh, something else, Armour thyroid contains both T4 and T3 in a fixed ratio

too much T4 impacts my sleep, while some people report too much T3 does that to them

you might try switching to separate T4 and T3 supplements because you can then independently adjust the dosage and check if one impacts your sleep

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
trazadone has been GREAT for me ( and many others ) for sleep - and does not cause weight gain like elavil .

Nor does it cause morning after grogginess.

It is a great med for DEEP sound sleep!

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobweb
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My day time fatigue has been helped a great deal by Provigal, a prescribed med .

On days that I don't have to do anything I still get up early, like 6 AM, but then by 10am go back to bed and sleep some more for several hours-I just skip the Provigal for that day.

Carol

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 5 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
laurie,
have you taken a list of ALL CURRENT MEDS including over the counter to your pharmacist and had them INPUT into their computer?

also have them run a check to see if drugs are interacting with one another.

depression med looked high to me; i'm on it to but a lower dose; can't remember as i type this!

do you/others carry a list of ALL CURRENT MEDS, OTC, HERBS, SUPPLEMENTS with you at ALL TIMES? you should.

when i update my typed list, i keep one by my computer, 1 in billfold, 1 in refrigerator in a larger pill bottle, and 1 in each vehicle in glove compartment. also give DOC a current list to have as well.

good luck! me, i'm up to 3-5 am! [cussing]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elinor
Member # 8174

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elinor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dguy can you tell me more about how melatonin polarises the immune system towards TH1. Where did you learn about this and could you point me to a study please? Thanks
Posts: 51 | From England | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wenan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wenan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have tried numerous sleep things- I hope I have settled on something that is working as I have had two of the best night sleeps yet!

Bed no later than 9:30 - cortisol issues cause me to get a second wind any later which screws up the rest of the night.

Melatonin - sublingual
Calm Forte (hylands)- 3 - 1/2 hour before bed
Magnesium Glycinate - 3 - " " " -- this is new for me.
Stress X - by Biogenesis - contains 5HTP, lithium, GABA, L-theanine - 2 - 1/2 hour before bed - new for me at this time of day.
Taurine - 1000mg before bed
5HTP - 1000mg before bed.
I keep .25mg of Klonopin beside bed if I wake up and can't get back to sleep-it calms what I call the Lyme buzz. Some nights I don't use it.

There is also a timed released Melatonin. I got mine from Allergy REsearch Group.

I take a lot of this because my neurotransmitters were found to be way off. You may want to check yours. I'm not a doc but I hope you get some relief. I find this group to be invaluable to me when I am going through times like this.

Posts: 104 | From connecticut | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laurie   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you everyone. I was thinking of something time-released...didn't know there was a time-released melatonin, very interested in that. I was just thinking of a time-released Ambien or similar. But it seems crazy for me to take a sleeping pill when I have no trouble FALLING asleep.

I've heard that lots of folks like Trazadone. Isn't that also an anti-depressant? I AM on a very high dose of Prozac, but it's generic and weak, plus I am a big person.

Yes, I do start thinking of stuff when I wake up, need to do this and need to do that, and I wish I could stop this and put my mind to rest.

I do keep a list of all my meds on my computer and in my purse. It's just one pharmacy that I use so they know everything I'm on.

The thyroid info is interesting...soon as my mind gets going I will look into that...I can tell you, I've never had this problem before, so...??? Hmm.

I don't know anything about my neurotransmitters or how to know if they're off. And I don't know about the level of Th1 in my immune system and I'd like to know more about that too.

Posts: 459 | From Connecticut - just across the river from the Lymes (Old Lyme, Hadlyme, East Lyme, South Lyme & Lyme) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Laurie

Someone just posted here about LDN = low dose naltrexone. You take it right before bedtime and it is supposed to increase your endorphins making you sleep like a baby and lifting your mood considerably.

I researched it a bit and seems it is having great success treating MS and RA. Research didn't say much about lyme, but we all know lyme can be behind both these diseases.

It is a prescription drug normally used to get addicts off heroin and/or alcohol, but at a much lower dose (3mg daily) it is curing the other things including insomnia.

Please post here if you decide to try it.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As someone mentioned, bed before 10 so cortisol doesn't cause problems.

No caffeine at all.

Also for cortisol, eat right before bed including something with protein. Usually I eat something small, like a piece of cheese and prunes, or a piece of toast with almond butter. (it's surprising how much this has helped me even though it's against conventional wisdom).

Exercise some during the day, whatever you can tolerate.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
beachcomber
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 5320

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beachcomber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing that pops on your list for me is the steroids. I had to take steroids for nerve damage several years ago. I could not sleep at all for about 2 weeks.

I don't take steroids now. But, I do awaken every night at 3:30. Between 5 - 7 would be lovely in my case. I can't always fall back to sleep. I spoke with my MDs about it.

One MD wanted to prescribe Ambien. My LLMD suggested aromatherapy, restful music, going to bed at the same time every night and, the best of all, plenty of exercise - get my heart rate up at intervals during the day to help regulate it at night. This seems to be the most helpful.

I didn't take the Ambien Rx. I decided to figure out a way to live with my odd sleep pattern. Right now I am on 2 Rx only. I feel so much better than when I was on a list as long as yours. I take 15 minute power naps whenever I can. I exercise. I eat well. I go to bed by 10:00. When I wake up, I either get up and start my day or I meditate.

Try to stay clam about this. Stress will make it worse. As we age, it is normal to function on less sleep a day. We Lymies need our sleep but, we are troopers at adjusting to adverse conditions.

I agree with the poster who suggested having the Pharmacist look at your Rx combo. Very wise.

Hang in there. Enjoy the quiet morning hours when the rest of the world is asleep and not bothering you. Look at it as your special time.

Bc

Posts: 1452 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my first Lyme symptoms which began just a few weeks after tick bite was an

Early Awakening Sleep Disorder

My doc said that is common with Lyme and he treated it at the time with Elavil which is technically an antidepressant. However, he uses it in very low doses, at 5 mg or 10 instead of 100 or 200 mg which it can be used for psyche.
I took a 10 mg tablet and split it and owuld take 1/2 to 1/4th of it. My LLMD found that elavil/amytriptyline works great for many Lyme patients. He insists that NO ONE with bad sleep will get better with Lyme!!!!! Good sleep is an essential for recovery-

Take care,
And better sleep soon I hope!
Sarah

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

quote:
Originally posted by Elinor:
dguy can you tell me more about how melatonin polarises the immune system towards TH1. Where did you learn about this and could you point me to a study please? Thanks

there are several references in PubMed, such as this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=10579467&dopt=Abstract

betsy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for betsy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
has anyone ever taken 2 ambien???? or tried lunesta??? I wake up at 4:00 everyday and am just exhausted. tried ambien...it works in that it makes me go right to sleep but not stay asleep. any advice???? thx, betsy
Posts: 107 | From VA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betsy:
has anyone ever taken 2 ambien???? or tried lunesta???

I wouldn't suggest that!! Ask your dr! I tried lunesta with the result being that it was not as good as the ambien.

Consider adding the timed release melatonin to the one ambien. Ask your dr!!

I use Source Naturals timed release. It works great! [I buy mine at www.vitacost.com ]

I also take trazodone, with great results. Yes, Laurie, it's an antidepressant, but so is Elavil. You might ask your dr to switch you from the Elavil to the Traz.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
visteril works really well for me.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laurie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 159

With me I don't think it's a Lyme symptom. That doesn't matter, of course, it's still awful.

I am thinking something that's time-released sounds like the best way to go, no matter if it's melatonin or Rx sleeping med.

Not to worry about the steroid nose spray listed in my prescriptions -- I only use it occasionally so I don't think much gets into my system.

I know about that "second wind" phenomenon! If I keep myself awake to watch something on TV, and then go to sleep and still wake up early, it's even worse. I wouldn't suggest keeping yourself awake...tape the show. And make sure your friends and family know not to call you after 9 PM when you're basically winding down.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement