LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone get sinus infection while on abx used to treat them?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone get sinus infection while on abx used to treat them?
lymednva
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About ten days ago I began to show symptoms of a cold, mostly a runny nose. On day four I developed a slight cough and then a bad sore throat.

I spent a lot of time in bed, remained on my regular treatment, and hoped for the best, knowing I'm on Omnicef and Levaquin, both of which are used to treat sinus infections, since that seemed to be the direction this was all taking.

After four straight days in bed running a fever I decided I was going to see a doctor yesterday. Unfortunately mine was not available, so I saw his partner.

She basically told me that there was nothing she could do since I was already on two abx that are used to treat respiratory infections and that she thinks I just have something viral.

Knowing my body better than she does, I disagree, but now I'm having to wait another few days before calling the office back and seeing what I can do now.

I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience, and if so what you did.

Thanks!

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lou
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 81

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wondering if this could be the flu or a cold.

I did have something that acted fluish once or twice and later realized that it was part of a herx. Sometimes these things are hard to figure out, and then only in retrospect.

Posts: 8430 | From Not available | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my world, nothing beats the nasty effectiveness of a good old fashioned salt water nasal douche. Not much will survive the nasal tsunami.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymednva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't seem like the flu. Timing is off for a herx, too.

The doctor I saw suggested I try Flonase in addition to the other stuff I take. When I tried it last night I sneezed so hard my throat was killing me! Then my nose wouldn't stop running/congestion.

I tried it again a little while ago and so far, so good. Maybe that will help a bit. I've never done a nasal douche, and frankly it doesn't appeal in the least to me at the moment.

--------------------
Lymednva

Posts: 2407 | From over the river and through the woods | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
luvs2ride
Member # 8090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for luvs2ride     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mayo Clinic did a study that found 95% of sinus infections are fungal infections. I'm not familiar with Omnicef and Leviquin, but if they are antibiotics, aren't they going to promote fungal infections, not fight them?

My husband has suffered chronic sinus for years. The failure of the doctors' abx to heal him is how I finally got him to consult with doctors using alternative care. He is finally beginning to see the light of day. He has many days now where he can breathe and his energy is back. He is still experiencing periods of infection but they only last a couple days whereas it used to go on for months.

He is struggling somewhat with the diet changes, but each time he goes back to pizzas the sinuses flare, so slowly he is getting the picture.

I don't believe he can never again eat pizza. I simply believe (as do his doctors) that he has way too many yeastie beasties living in his body at present. Once he gets them cleared out and then practices a healthy gut lifestyle, he will be able to enjoy the occasional pizza.

In any case, unless Omnicef and Leviquin are antifungals, I don't believe they are going to help you.

Luvs

--------------------
When the Power of Love overcomes the Love of Power, there will be Peace.

Posts: 3038 | From america | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
clpgotlyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7875

Icon 1 posted      Profile for clpgotlyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, this has happened to me twice. Once just recently. I am on Ceftin and alternate Levaquin.

I used my Rhinocort and upped my Ceftin a few days. It took much longer than usual to go away, but it finally did.

That scared me as Ceftin has always been the only thing that works for sinus infections for me!I also took lots of Sudafed (old kind) and Mucinex.Hope you are feeling better soon.
Cindy

--------------------
Cindy

Posts: 227 | From VA | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Cindy,

Thanks for your reply. You are actually the first one to answer my question. I am feeling slightly better today, but still have a fever and spent all morning in bed. Right now I'm trying to psych myself up for a shower!

If this doesn't disappear soon I will leave a message for MY doc so I can get his input. I feel more confident in him.

--------------------
Lymednva

lymedesign
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8791

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymedesign     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Lymednva,

My daughter got a sinus infection about 2 weeks ago while on her current meds of Zithromax, Flagyl and Mepron. The doctor had her stop the zith. for 10 days and substituted Omnicef for 10 days. It cleared up right away.

Before Lyme, she usually was prescribed Zith. for sinus/ear infections. Since she has been on Zith. for over a year now, she must be developing some immunity to it? Hope this helps!!

Posts: 263 | From Georgia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Thanks. I am beginning to think that the abx I am already on are like a baseline for me, and I need something else, or a higher dose to knock it out.

--------------------
Lymednva

notkrazybrian
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10621

Icon 1 posted      Profile for notkrazybrian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats all i have had while on abx is more and more sinus.
Posts: 217 | From Everywhere | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeindunkirk
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeindunkirk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Previous to starting lyme treatment I would get sinus infections every spring and every fall without fail. Had them for such a long time. Probably ten years. Amoxicillin always helped me clear up the infections until the next season and I was on Ceftin D every day for a few years to help the problem.

After starting Lyme treatment which is going on two years now I can say I haven't had one sinus infection and I haven't needed to take Clartin D for the last two years.

I've gotten the beginnings of a cold every now and then but nothing that develops into a sinus or bronchical infection.

Posts: 547 | From Maryland | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

I was the same as you prior to Lyme treatment. This is my first one since I began treatment last April.

Amoxy never did anything for my sinus infections, although one duck always put me on that first. His NP always read my chart and said, "Obviously that doesn't work for you, so let's start with something that does!" DUH!

I finally have no fever today for the first day in a week, that's progress. I've never run a fever with a cold, which is one thing that makes me think this is more than that. I know some people do, my daughter for one, but not so with me.

The Flonase has helped since I haven't sneezed it out the past two days! I can't take any type of decongestant because it makes me hyper and I can't sleep, even Sudafed in the AM does that to me, and has for decades!

Thanks for all the suggestions and confirmations that it can actually be a sinus infection even when I'm on abx for them. Unless I take a sudden turn for the worse tomorrow I'm planning to wait it out. I increase my Levaquin on Sunday, and hope that will do the trick!

--------------------
Lymednva

Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, fungal. Had to treat w/Sporanox, not abx.
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
psano
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if this is what I have now? About 2-3 days ago, I started getting a runny nose, and initally didn't think a lot about it. I've had "colds" a few times, but they cleared up really quickly, so I assumed this would too, but it hasn't.

And while my colds might start in my nose, they usually progress to my chest pretty quickly, but this has stayed in my nose. I get occasional sneezing "fits" (rapid sneezes 2-3 times in a row) and a terribly runny nose...and it's just not showing any signs of stopping.

I was just switched from Bicillin LA to Omnicef about 2 weeks ago. I've been on azithromycin for about 1 month, and am also on Tindamax, which I've been on for a while.

Does this seem like a sinus infection rather than a cold?

Maybe I'll send my LLNP an email and ask about it.

Posts: 449 | From Pasadena, CA, usa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymednva
Member # 9098

Usually a sinus infection switches from a runny nose to nasal and head congestion which is how you know it's no longer a cold.

That's why I waited a week before contacting a doctor. Go too soon and it's too soon to tell anything. Years of experience has taught me a lot about this.

--------------------
Lymednva

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement