LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » COWDEN PROTOCOL....PLEASE REUNITE!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: COWDEN PROTOCOL....PLEASE REUNITE!
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only have residual symptoms after long term abx...good LLMDs, most co-infections treated (bart,erhl,babs,candidas)..at this point I'm 95%/99%.....was suggested to try Cowden protocol...

Was told too I have very, but very good odds to have success or at least benefits since people with worse sx have had good outcome...

At this point I consider myself somehow "knowlegeable" regarding abx but extremely "ignorant" regarding herbs....

Was searching each herb and most are related to detox, antiflamatory, antifungal issues....

Read the post about samento and borrelia growth...this wont change my decision on keeping my "new" regimen...

I did Lariam and levaquin when most people's opinion was "poor" regarding side effects, etc.... and had very good results.

But I think it would be good to hear bad or good experiences about Cowden. Suggestions, tips, any information......

Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I have observed here , you might do better using the Buhner protocol ( Healing Lyme
by Stephen Buhner ) .

His protocol relies on Cat's claw ( like the samento on the Cowden protocol ) and andrographis and resveratrol .

If you are just about well, you might be fine with the andrographis and cat's claw .

I have not read too many impressive reports about results with the Cowden protocol, though
my knowledge is limited to posts here .

I would DEFINITELY Take andrographis .

Also, since yoou have made great strides, look up posts on rife . There are folks who relapsed until they tried rife, and are doing well now .

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are your risidual symptoms?
Posts: 170 | From Vancouver | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bit of fatigue .....have had only 2 headaches since stopping abx in Jan.and a couple of joint "pains":once in my left hip and once in my right knee that lasted literally seconds!!!all of them a couple of days before my period..

It would be good to mention that joint pains were very bad for me....specially my left shoulder it was a permanent joint pain that wouldn't leave me alone..for years....of course together with other "lyme sx"...fatigue very bad forme too in the past....periods were I couldn't go up the stairs because of fatigue and shortness of breath...let's no mention my brain fog....

Posts: 983 | From The sky | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Blue [hi]
It's late and I haven't time to write more but could you PM me tomorrow? (and remind me)

I may know someone that would be willing to share their experiences with you and perhaps it would aid you in making an informed decision and plan.

also, it's good to see you! doing any fund raising lately. [Wink] [Big Grin]

the other blue [Smile]

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

up
klutzo
Member # 5701

Icon 1 posted      Profile for klutzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did the Cowden Protocol for seven months, to the extent that I could. It is important for you to know that I have had zero ABX for my Lyme, due to allergy to all the ones that work.

I was never able to approach the very high dose of Samento that Cowden requires. Ten drops daily was almost unbearble for me, let alone 40.

I did make it to the 40 drop dose of Cumanda, relatively fast, but after lots of early herxing.

I did not find Burbur helpful at all, but Chlorella helped a lot, though I had to raise the dose very slowly.

I did not see any improvement that I had not already seen with Samento alone (which I took for almost 3 yrs. before this), so I went back to just Samento to save money.

Re: Buhner Protocol. I had previously tried max doses of Cat's Claw for a couple months with no herxing and no results. I also took Resveratrol and Sarsaparilla, also with no results (for several months). I cannot take Andrographis for more than 3 days at a time or it raises my already high blood pressure too much.

So, I think what works for one of us may not work for another, and you may just have to try and see. I also think genetic detoxifying ability plays a large role here. If you are not a good detoxifier, it's much harder to get your dosage up.

Good luck,

Klutzo

Posts: 1269 | From Clearwater, Florida, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Talk to Serendipity.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeblue
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6897

Thanks Klutzo.....Lymetoo thanks too someone already suggested me to ask serendipity....

I'm on my third day (not even cumanda or samento yet) and I feel tired.

Was researching the herbs that I'm currently taking and one of those is "amantilla";which is valerian root extract.......My mom used to make valeryan root tea to me to calm me down during my stressfull years as a student...I used to get very anxious...
Go figure if this is why I'm feeling with lack of energy.....
let's see who else has something to add...to my post.

trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valerian root extract should calm you and likely improve sleep.

I used to use it a lot for that and to calm muscle spasms and nerve stuff (like when you want to shake out your whole body to stop the weird feelings).

I can see how it would make you tired but am not sure if you eventually get used to that and are just really calm all the time. [Wink]

As far as I remember, it also reduces the amount of mucous production from colds, etc.. I read that in an herbal guide, once, and darned if it didn't work.

I like an extract of it as the capsules stink like dirty socks, PU!

Otherwise, I probably don't know much about the other herbs.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruth Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Valerian root is very important for my emotional stability since the infection. I am getting some in the Myocalm p.m. I take four times a day (it has Mg in it too). The rest is from the Amantilla liquid extract. Both are helpful for me.

--------------------
When I lost my grip on Faith in the maze of illness,
Hope gently clasped my hand and led on.

RuthRuth

Posts: 478 | From California | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement