LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Look out ticks- your days are numbered! We'll pay you to get out of town!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Look out ticks- your days are numbered! We'll pay you to get out of town!
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy tick attack Batman!

It looks like we may have some Lyme disease education money coming our way in Maryland?

To the tune of over one million dollars!!!

I'm NO good at math.. so am I figuring this right? Shall I buy momma a new pair of dancing shoes?

[Big Grin]

This is the money report.. just released.. concerning the Lyme Disease Awareness Campaign Bill... HB 836.. which is scheduled for a hearing today!!!

Listen... I think I hear Santa's sleigh bells ding ding ding-a-ling along!

http://mlis.state.md.us/2007RS/fnotes/bil_0006/hb0836.pdf

HB 836

Department of Legislative Services

Maryland General Assembly

2007 Session

FISCAL AND POLICY NOTE

House Bill 836 (Delegate Montgomery, et al.)

Health and Government Operations

Public Health - Lyme Disease - Public Awareness Campaign

This bill requires the Secretary of Health and Mental Hygiene, in collaboration with other

State agencies, to establish and promote a statewide Lyme disease and associated

tick-borne illnesses public information, awareness, and education campaign.

Fiscal Summary

State Effect: Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DHMH) general fund

expenditures could increase by $206,300 in FY 2008. Future years reflect annualization

and inflation. No effect on revenues.

(in dollars) FY 2008 FY 2009 FY 2010 FY 2011 FY 2012

Revenues $0 $0 $0 $0 $0

GF Expenditure 206,300 277,800 280,500 283,300 286,200

Net Effect ($206,300) ($277,800) ($280,500) ($283,300) ($286,200)

Note: () = decrease; GF = general funds; FF = federal funds; SF = special funds; - = indeterminate effect

Local Effect: None.

Small Business Effect: None.

Analysis

Bill Summary: The campaign must: target the general public and specific populations

at high-risk for contracting Lyme disease and associated tick-borne illnesses; disseminate

this information through written materials, television, radio, posters, or any other medium

the Secretary determines is appropriate and effective; distribute free informational

HB 836 / Page 2

materials to health clinics, schools, the forest and park service, and any other

organizations serving individuals with a high risk of contact with ticks; develop and

disseminate educational materials to health care providers about Lyme disease; and

include any other matter the Secretary considers appropriate.

To implement the bill, the Secretary, on request, must receive aid or information from

any State agency or public subdivision. The Secretary also may request the services of

interested advocacy groups and may contract for any necessary services.

Current Law: None applicable.

Background: Lyme disease is transmitted to humans by the bite of infected blacklegged

ticks. Symptoms of the disease are fever, headache, fatigue, and a skin rash. If not

treated, the infection can spread to an individual's joints, heart, and nervous system.

Most individuals with the disease can be treated with antibiotics.

Other tick-borne diseases include babesiosis and Southern Tick-Associated Rash Illness

(STARI).

Babesiosis is an illness caused by a parasite that lives in some deer ticks. Symptoms

include a fever, chills, sweating, weakness, tiredness, poor appetite, and headache. Some

people with the illness do not develop symptoms. The illness can sometimes become

serious and result in death. Individuals in their forties and fifties are most likely to get

the illness, although it may affect individuals of all ages. Babesiosis is most often

reported in Connecticut and on the islands off Massachusetts and New York.

STARI is an illness that develops after an individual is bitten by the lone star tick.

Symptoms, in addition to a rash, include fatigue, fever, headache, and muscle and joint

pains, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Lone star ticks are

found from central Texas and Oklahoma across the southern states and along the Atlantic

coast as far north as Maine.

State Expenditures: General fund expenditures could increase by an estimated

$206,250 in fiscal 2008, which accounts for the bill's October 1, 2007 effective date.

This estimate reflects $150,000 in advertising costs ($200,000 annually) for the public

education campaign that will include radio and television public service announcements

and advertising in local markets. It also reflects $56,250 in printing costs ($75,000

annually) for educational pamphlets and other printed materials that will be distributed to

health clinics, schools, the forest and park service, and other organizations.

HB 836 / Page 3

Future year expenditures reflect annualization and 1% annual increases in ongoing

operating expenses.

Additional Information

Prior Introductions: None.

Cross File: None.

Information Source(s): Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Department of

Legislative Services

Fiscal Note History:

ncs/jr

First Reader - March 9, 2007

Analysis by: Lisa A. Daigle Direct Inquiries to:

(410) 946-5510

(301) 970-5510

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHY.. tell me WHY.. I always find this kind of BIG news just as I want and NEED to finally go to sleep!

Ain't nobody up? It's only 5 AM. Of course I've been up all night and can't sleep!

I just keep muttering in a low voice to myself... a million dollars, a million dollars, a million dollars...

Pinch me so I know I ain't dreaming!

Pinch me and I'll slap you silly!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about I hug you and rejoice over the "big bucks?"

I am not sure I want to get slapped silly this early in the am (maybe later though haha!)

Well I guess it is official. There is Lyme disease in your area!!!!

Great news. Love to see one of those commercials/infomercials air in my neck of the woods.

But you see as we don't have Lyme here, that would be a total waste of money.

(As If Louisiana wasn't doing such a bang up job with the monies from Katrina!)

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can we trust the powers that be to disseminate the CORRECT lyme info for public awareness???

If so, then I will celebrate too!! [spinning smile]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if they get the information right, it'd be great to help eradicate the idea that this stuff is limited in scope.

Having babesia and STARI mentioned in there is also very hopeful- most people have no idea that other diseases besides Lyme and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever can come from ticks.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if they don't quite get the information right, it'd be great to help eradicate the idea that this stuff is limited to Connecticut or whatever they seem to think.

Having babesia and STARI mentioned in there is also very hopeful- most people have no idea that other diseases besides Lyme and Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever can come from ticks.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mag
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi tincup,

what a night for you - with out sleep - Last night was 5 for me and now I am a morning dishrag!! Hope you can catch up

Definitely - buy the dancing shoes - stay away from the lime color - may attract ticks

There is never any mention of mosquitoes or fleas harboring Lyme- does that make you wonder
about if the whole message is getting through

http://www.mercola.com/2001/jul/25/lyme_disease.htm

and
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Oasis/6455/insects-biblio.html

Good to hear that there are funds for the education - Next on the agenda - How about some real lab tests that are 99.9% accurate

thxs
mags

Posts: 259 | From California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Good morning fellow dish rags.... (hope you get some sleep mag)

Yep.. these all-nighters working on this bill stuff ain't no fun... for sure. But.. hopefully after this week it will slow down.

Now..

Am I stupid enough to think the HEALTH department will send out the best information available IF the bill passes and isn't stuck in a drawer somewhere? No.

Do I think the one million will be used wisely and in the best interest of all? No.

Do I think in the right hands the money could do MUCH better? Yes.

And that is a dirty rotten shame to have to think that way.. but tis true. No doubt.

Give ME the million.. and I could at least buy off the ticks or send them all to the south pole for a vacation!

But.. if we look at the positive side... we MAY get some warning signs in our parks which none of our groups can afford.

We may get some handout brochures free of charge for the public and the schools.. and at county fairs educational events, etc.

We may get some tv time we haven't been able to get to bring the message right in the home.

And maybe an updated web site.. and some one to write press releases.. and what ever.

And yes.... the information may be the "pull your socks over your pant legs" junk... but..

Years ago we had NOTHING. Notta. Zilch. Zero.

If by chance... back in the "old days"... there was a small deal in a newspaper somewhere in the country.. it was ALWAYS against us and our position. We would freak when they said the trash they did. It got so bad that the motto ... when we would get dumped on royally was...

"Well at least they said the word LYME."

[Roll Eyes]

So, is this perfect... absolutely not.

But.. we NOW.. after LOTS of hard work and persistance by the various groups in Maryland.. have a legislative group that is educated about Lyme enough to even CONSIDER the Lyme disease situation and TRY to help us.

We have someone not only listening.. but who is actively... on their own.. trying to help those who are sick and prevent others from being sick.

Will the bill pass with amendments? I don't really think so because the health dept.. in MY opinion.. would rather give up the million dollars than let the ILADS guidelines be sent to doctors. They are stubborn... and remember we are fighting the Hopkins ID ducks here.. and the editor of the IDSA guidelines.

Can I blame them for not taking the million and trying to help others? No, not really.

I wouldn't accept $500 million dollars if I was told I had to send out the IDSA guidelines. Each side is.. if nothing else.. committed to their cause.

And so the war goes on....

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

mag
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8920

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mag     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi

cave--yep - hope the bill passes- maybe it will help someone. MD today maybe CA next

tincup- lots of hard work - you are doing
you must be taking some special vitamins!!

i am hoping that the recent movies on TV and
interview will spark more interest and determination to change things

We need another celebrity and or a top notch politician to come in close contact - (of course i am not wishing for the lyme clan to attack any one ) --- then we'll get some where

I am seriously considering sending my CDC results and the ILDA guidelines to every doc
who misdiagnosed me

keep us posted

i am going to sleep now (I think) and dream about excellent lyme diagnosis and treatment

take care

mags

Posts: 259 | From California | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Cave..

You are real smart.

[Eek!]

Did I say that? Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! HA!

What you are saying is right on the money. All that stuff has been running through my mind too. HARD to trust these fellows from the DHMH after they've caused so much grief... and allowed this GARBAGE to continue... and are hanging on the coat tails of the IDSA.. or they ARE the IDSA.

I am trying to dig the good out of it all.. but hard to do. So no appologies needed... you are right in line.

meg..

I got a brief report back.. and am waiting for more tomorrow.

I learned it didn't start till after 5 PM.. so folks are just getting home after a SUPER LONG day!!! Poor things, bless their hearts for going and having to wait that long.

All who testified were for the bill WITH AMENDMENTS!!! GOOD TEAM WORK!!!

Except for the Health department of course! They were favorable to the bill.. but not with our amendments. Go figure. Why do you think they don't want to hand out the ILADS guidelines?

[bonk]

No answers yet as this is a long process... IF it goes any further. I doubt the Health Dept will bend and allow the ILADS guidelines to go out to doctors... but... NO.. actually I don't doubt it.. I know it!!! But..

If the legislators will stand up and do the right thing and REALLY help us.. that would be quite nice and would go a long way toward helping people.

If the bill goes down the tubes.. it will be ok. We never asked for it.. and absolutely don't want it if there is a chance one person would be harmed by it... and folks would be harmed by it in this condition without amendments.. as would our doctors.

Soooooooooooooooooooooo.. if it is shelved.. or stuck in a drawer.. maybe it wasn't something meant to be. Truth is.. we have our goals set MUCH higher than this.. but this would have been a nice stepping stone had it made a positive difference for patients... and the public.

Thank you to everyone who helped with the bill and made calls and wrote letters. Hang in there and when we have more details.. will let you know.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement