LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » arggh!! cold sore breakout. how to stop??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: arggh!! cold sore breakout. how to stop??
electric
Member # 6572

Icon 1 posted      Profile for electric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi all,
in addition to dealing w lyme crap i have now broke out a terrible reoccuring case of the "cold sore from hell" on nose. they have been coming back every 2 weeks or so on and can take as long as 3 weeks to heal. at first usually sore only on inside of nose but lately have been getting really bad on outside of nose and are really embarrassing. never had a problem with them before. now they wont stop. meds from doc dont seem to do doo-doo-squat. any herbs or dietary things i need to consider. i try to stay away from cereal/grains/nuts/chocolate. i also suppliment l-lyseine but to no avail. any ideas or people who have successfully got their nose cold sores under control somehow?

regards,
electric

Posts: 65 | From minneapolis, san francisco | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a virus. Try one of those ointments for cold sores...name eludes me now.

To prevent the herpes zoster from coming out again, take Lysine (sp?).

I get herpes breakouts on my face..isn't THAT lovely? That has really helped.

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buy Abreva over the counter. I hear it's AMAZING. Expensive, but the sores will be gone in a day or two.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lalalu
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10854

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lalalu   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take 3 grams of Lysine per day and that keeps my herpes sores away. Lysine is an amino acid...can be purchased at GNC or a health food store.

--------------------
http://chroniclyme.blogspot.com/

"Illnesses, hover constantly above us, their seed blown by the winds, but they do not set in the terrain unless the terrain is ready to receive them."---Claude Bernard.

Posts: 131 | From US | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tanzi2u
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9237

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tanzi2u     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am another satisfied lysine user here. Lysine ointment helps heal the cold sores from the outside. Generic lysine tablets help heal from the inside.

Many times just starting with the lysine treatment at the first tingle of a new infection starting is enough to keep it at bay.

Posts: 115 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gardenoflyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gardenoflyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
forget the abreva-takes 6 days instead of 7 to heal.

try taking vitamin b-12 at first sign of it occurring. This really works for my hubby, it also seems to shorten for my daughter.

my guess is that you are very, very low on the B vitamins like most lymies.

For what it's worth, someone once told me that cold sores coming out may be a sign of healing lyme. I would have thought the opposite. In my own case, the last time I had cold sores and after they healed I took a big step forward and have held it.

So maybe there is some hope in there somewhere

Posts: 132 | From SE Pa | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jif
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jif     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
get a script of Valtrex, or another antiviral, and get it under control, why suffer!

lots of llmds are txing other infections w/ antivirals

Posts: 208 | From Santa Fe | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kelmo
Member # 8797

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kelmo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tried Valtrex and it worked the first time, but didn't the subsequent breakouts. My biggest help is the Lysine. Abreva! That's it! I don't use it, I have another brand that works great. But, I hear Abreva is good.

Kelly

Posts: 2903 | From AZ | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter and I go through bouts of these.

Here's what we do that really works for us:

1. Alkalinize by drinking baking soda in water

2. Dab colloidal silver on the sore with a q-tip

3. Take lysine three times a week

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
liz28
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I drink a bottle of kefir per day to build up the immune system.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I give my boyfriend 500 mg. of Pantothenic Acid (Vitamin B-5) about 2 to 3 times a week. It will prevent cold sores UNLESS he gets under a lot of stress without telling me, and then he will get a cold sore.

So, during stressful times, take once a day, if necessary.

I don't remember where I read about the Pantothenic Acid for cold sores.

Tracy

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was/is plagued with cold sores since kid. One would clear as another starts. I've tried everything...abreva sucks, herpecin L no better, prescription Denovir doesn't work as "miracle" drug either.

Antivirals work great but the absolute best I found is Neosporin LT (lip treatment) only about $3.00 at Walmart. Amazing thing is, no true meds in it.

No antibiotics, and yet when I feel the bump on or near lips put it on and never break out.

If I don't "catch it" in time, still gone in three days without the itchy, goopy, crusty, full blown sore ever manifesting. I just keep putting it on throughout day.

Told my dentist about it. At my last visit, he said his patients he had told, have tried it and were amazed at the outcome.

Good luck.

Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnDay
Member # 9532

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AutumnDay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Electric,

I used to suffer from these for many years, on a monthly basis even before I got lyme. They would break out bad on my lips and go up in my nose just like yours.

I tried Abreva and Valtrex with little or no results. I got a percription from my doctor for Acyclovir (200mg capsules), it's a anti-viral medicine that did WONDERS for me.

I don't even get cold sores anymore(and I am talking about years now) because when I would feel one coming on, I would start the medicine and I would not get an outbreak.

My son would get them to, but not as severe as mine, as in the nose, but does not suffer anymore because he would take the Acyclovir to.

Please try it, it may not work for you because everyone is different, but I swear by it. Good luck!!

P.S. I just wanted to add that it seemed that stress and sleep played a big role in my outbreak. Please try to get a little extra sleep if you can, but please try the medicine and don't let your doctor try to say that Valtrex is as good as Acyclovir because it's NOT!!

--------------------
quote form Mother Theresa"God won't give me more then I can handle, sometimes I wish he didn't trust me so much."

Posts: 20 | From Wisconsin | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This really helps me a whole lot - folic acid . Most Americans need more of it . Try adding some extra daily for a few months . These sores ( according to studies I read ) can be a symptom of deficiency of folic acid .

When I began supplementing with folic acid , they bacame almost nonexistent .

Also , I find goldenseal helps me ( along with olive leaf extract ) with almosy ANY kind of infection.

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Annxyz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This really helps me a whole lot - folic acid . Most Americans need more of it . Try adding some extra daily for a few months . These sores ( according to studies I read ) can be a symptom of deficiency of folic acid .

Also , I find goldenseal helps me ( along with olive leaf extract ) with almosy ANY kind of infection.

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Posts: 744 | From Mineola | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

--------------------
ANNXYZ

Annxyz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9097

--------------------
ANNXYZ

sienna
Member # 10980

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sienna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been getting a lot of cold sores on lips
since taking abx. I've found that putting salt
on them (it does sting), helps to heal them fairly quickly.

Posts: 67 | From UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catalysT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10786

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catalysT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For topical use, I'd highly recommend trying peppermint oil!. Not only is it anti-viral against HSV, but it also has a nice cooling sensation and takes away most irritation!

For peppermint oil (NOW brand is good/cheap), just whipe your finger across the top of the vile dispenser, and get a very small amount, and rub onto the cold sore, do this a few times a day. One vile/bottle will last practically forever.

Astragalus -may- also be of some help. Hope you feel better.

Virucidal effect of peppermint oil on the enveloped viruses herpes simplex virus type 1 and type 2 in vitro.

Susceptibility of Drug-Resistant Clinical HSV-1 Strains to Essential Oils of Ginger, Thyme, Hyssop and Sandalwood.]

A novel treatment of postherpetic neuralgia using peppermint oil.

Experimental study of the effect of Astragalus membranaceus against herpes simplex virus type 1

[ 24. March 2007, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: catalysT ]

--------------------
"You know, the worst, meanest, nastiest, ticks in the world are politicks," - Steve Nostrum

Posts: 242 | From South NJ | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement