LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone using PB8 probiotic?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone using PB8 probiotic?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am running low on Theralac and, quiet frankly, can't afford it any longer.

I see on the net that I can get PB8 (which Buhner recomends in his book) for around 10-15 bucks per bottle.

Is anyone using this or what can you recommend?

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I tried it on the advice of one of my drs. It didn't work for me.

Then I tested it by trying to make yogurt with it. It didn't make yogurt, so the probios had to be dead.

Why not look into trying CustomProbiotics? I've used their products in the past and really like them. I had one bottle in the refrig for a year. It had 4 capsules left, so I decided to see if they were still viable. They made a really tangy yogurt.

You can also order just the individual strains you want. Some people cannot handle certain strains.

Oh, the website is www.customprobiotics.com.

(I have no vested interest in the company.)

Kayda

Posts: 582 | From midwest | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's cheaper to use Theralac. I used PB8 for 5 yrs and had yeast constantly. If I cheated AT ALL I was in trouble.

Enter Theralac....No more problems unless I go crazy over here.

Someone posted several months ago that they tested several probiotics and PB8 was basically dead.

I agree.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TuTu,

How often do you use Theralac to keep yeast at bay? One every day, every other day??? I bought Theralac, and I also like it, but I also don't know how much to use.

They do give a recommended dosage chart, but just wondered how much everyone uses of it. So far, I am using one every other day, mostly due to the cost.

I do order two bottles so don't have to pay S/H.

Thanks for any advice.

lifeline

Posts: 983 | From FL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you recommend a website where I can get it cheap?

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtnwoman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8385

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtnwoman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kayda, thanks for the info re customprobiotics.com

Their products do look exceptional. I will try them.

Posts: 211 | From NC | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twopuggles
Member # 10971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for twopuggles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I happen to use Healthy Trinity by Natren. I can get it at my local hfs, and it works just as well as Theralac. I don't know how much cheaper it would be for you though. I take three to four a day, and a 30 day supply is $40. My daily meds are doxy, plaquenil, and zithromax. After I started the Zithro my yeast escalated, and I the Natren made a huge difference.
Posts: 49 | From Grass Valley, CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

So what is the difference between Threelac and Theralac? Someone gave me two boxes of Threelac and said it was the same as the Theralac.

She said take three packets a day.

--------------------

trueblue
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know but know they are different. I'd google and compare.

Otherwise, I only used PB8 after we had a hurricane and nobody had any probiotics left, locally. (I never considered that possibility, heh)

I was completely dead and am sorry I wasted the money, even if it wasn't a lot.

I used Jarro-dophilus + FOS for years with good results. It's not expensive and has multiple strains. I generally use it in combination with a store brand shelf-stable one with different strains in it.

I am trying Therelac now to see if there's a big difference or not.

With the Jarrow + FOS, alone, I took 6-10/day.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by randibear:
So what is the difference between Threelac and Theralac? Someone gave me two boxes of Threelac and said it was the same as the Theralac.

She said take three packets a day.

They are NOT the same. They have different ingredients. Read up on them.

In my opinion, Theralac is far better.

Lifeline: I take one every day. I really haven't tried taking less, but I probably could.

I order two at a time also.

As far as I know, you can only order Theralac at www.theralac.com .

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kayda
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10565

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kayda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Threelac has some problems with it. I recently got an email about it from a friend. I don't remember exactly what it was. I will try to find it.

I've used Healthy Trinity by Natren as well with good results. I switched over to CustomProbiotics because it was less expensive.

Another one I really, really like is Primal Defense Ultra by Garden of Life. It worked for me when Diflucan stopped working.

Primal Defense Ultra is about 20%-30% less at Vitamin Shoppe than the other healthfood stores in my area.

I was the one who posted the study about the probiotics. I will try to find it again to post. In the study, Natren's Healthy Trinity & CustomProbiotics did very well. (this was before Primal Defense came out.)

Kayda

Posts: 582 | From midwest | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jasonsmith
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10914

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jasonsmith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking Theralac one per day for a couple of weeks. I don't notice any difference. Am I supposed to?
Posts: 310 | From TN | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 6 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PB8 tends to be useless. I tried to make yogurt out of it, and it was dead, no live cultures. It is often kept at room temperature, and that kills the bacteria. According to the GI's I have spoken with about probiotics, PB8 and primal defense are the worst, and VSL#3 and theralac are tops!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

If somebody finds out about the Threelac, could you please post. Like I said, somebody gave me some and I'd like to try it, but certainly not if it's bad for lyme or something.

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by Kayda:
Primal Defense Ultra is about 20%-30% less at Vitamin Shoppe than the other healthfood stores in my area.

If you really insist on buying that stuff, it's 40-50% off at www.vitacost.com

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by jasonsmith:
I've been taking Theralac one per day for a couple of weeks. I don't notice any difference. Am I supposed to?

Not if you had very few yeast symptoms to begin with. It will PREVENT problems with yeast.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Lymetoo
Member # 743

quote:
Originally posted by randibear:
If somebody finds out about the Threelac, could you please post. Like I said, somebody gave me some and I'd like to try it, but certainly not if it's bad for lyme or something.

Try doing a search here. I heard something negative about it several months ago.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

randibear
Member # 11290

I just wanted to let you know that I researched the Threelac issue. Egads.....I contacted the dealer about returning it. I will NOT take that stuff again.

This board is so great. Learn something new every day.

I'll come up with the money for Theralac when I get the refund from Threelac as I paid about 49 bucks a box for it. Luckily I bought it when I was working and had money so it will come in handy to return it now.

--------------------

Health
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Threelac has yeast in it. If you are allergic to yeast, be careful with Threelac.

Here is the ings. in it.

"ThreeLac Candida Defense Ingredients: Spore Forming Lactic Acid Bacteria (Lactobacillus Sporogenes), Lemon Juice Powder, Refined Yeast Powder, Castor Oil, Spore Forming Bacteria (Bacillus Subtilis), Lactic Acid Bacteria (Streptococcus Faecalis)."

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement