LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Diatomaceous Earth

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Diatomaceous Earth
Yashin
Member # 11159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yashin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone tried this?..

Yashin

Posts: 33 | From newenglandusa | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had posted this same question awhile back but got no answer.

I am a bit worried since you should not inhale this stuff...I was wondering if it would act like asbestos if that happened?

I have heard of people giving it to their animals to de-worm them but I don't know how effective it would be for anything else....or even if humans can take this???

I wait for anyone with experience with this too!

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Health
Member # 6034

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

This rings a bell for me, I think it was in a product I got from a Naturopathic Dr. I think it was called SBX. Soil based organisms.

Also called SBO's. I found this site on the net, this natural product has it in it.
http://members.aol.com/Kb1eya/InfoLaxMax.html

The product I had from teh ND, was to help candida, and the gut. I got VERY sick from it had to start off with 1 cap a day and work up.

Are you using it from the intestinal tract?
to help it?

Trish

Posts: 1250 | From Canada | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yashin
Member # 11159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yashin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yah I was hoping to rstore my balance with it and cleanse after using the aniboitics. I have 2 more months left before I can cleanse but I was going to order something soon.
i like to research it fully before hand.
is there anyone successfully using this?

Posts: 33 | From newenglandusa | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oral use? I thought it was for external use. There is someone in Florida who I understand is using diatomaceous earth on their garden against ticks. I don't know the science on this, but I think it is supposed to pierce their bodies and dry them out.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Penn92
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Penn92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It can be used to kill bugs in and out doors. I use it in my garden - organic, non-chemical pest control.

I've not heard of it being taken internally.

--------------------
Getting older is when we would rather not have a good time
than have to get over it. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 386 | From Radnor, PA - where the ticks run free | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sizzled     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard of using it outside but with a breathing mask and using the stuff for pools (diatomaceous earth).

For pets, there is a 'food grade' diatomaceous earth.

Do NOT ingest the pool stuff!!!!

Posts: 4258 | From over there | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understand it...DE is SiO2...silicone dioxide.

Is silicone safe? This has been discussed (with re: to breast implants) for years.

Not okay, is okay, not okay, is okay...

I personally know a chronic lyme patient who had silicone breast implants rupture and she believes this has indeed impeded her healing.

Some food for thought (although I HAVE read all the good stuff about DE!):

"A major controversy surrounds exposure to silicon, in particular silicone breast implants, and a possible role in autoimmune disorders, including scleroderma.

The major sources of concern were reports of a higher-then-average incidence of antinuclear antibodies in women who have had breast augmentation.

Elevated levels of these antibodies are nearly universal in people with scleroderma. (They can also occur without the disorder, however.)

Major analyses of studies, however, have found no convincing evidence of any causal association between silicone breast implants and scleroderma or other autoimmune diseases.

Implants also do not appear to increase the risk for these diseases in breast-fed babies.

Other studies have also found no significant increased risk from normal exposure to other sources of silicon, including glues, sealants, photocopying machines, and consumption of simethicone-containing antacids."

End quote.

Or..is ANA higher due to a reaction to the "container" the silicone breast implant is in?

"Four patients who had received silicone ***injections*** had the following complications: migration, hepatic disease manifested as granulomatous hepatitis (previously undescribed, to our knowledge), hypopigmentation, and death. Silicone should now be considered as a possible cause of hepatic granulomas in an appropriate host."

PMID: 1174244

We do need some...but what if...too much???

Some:

"Research at the Grand Forks Human Nutrition Research Center (GFHNRC) has shown that low dietary silicon decreases the bone and blood concentrations of substances that stimulate cells to form joint and bone cartilage and initiate bone calcification in experimental animals.

Low dietary silicon also has been shown by the GFHNRC to increase the excretion of products resulting from collagen and bone breakdown and loss, which are used as markers of osteoporosis risk.

The recent research confirms that silicon stimulates the formation of collagen, a protein that gives bones their strength and flexibility, joint cartilage its cushioning ability, and a scaffold upon which bone mineralization occurs.

Silicon was actually first reported as possibly being an essential nutrient more than 30 years ago. For the next 25 years, the battle of bringing attention to the nutritional importance was fought, not too successfully, by a scientist who promoted the hypothesis that inadequate dietary silicon could contribute to diseases associated with aging such as atherosclerosis, high blood pressure, osteoarthritis and osteoporosis.

After this scientist's death, studies examining the nutritional importance of silicon came to a standstill until about 2 years ago. Then several research groups reported new findings indicating that silicon is important for joint cartilage and bone formation and maintenance, thus boosting the suggesting that silicon is a nutrient of concern for osteoporosis, and perhaps osteoarthritis.

Scientists at King's College and St. Thomas' hospital in London, England in collaboration with scientists from Harvard and Tufts Universities in the United States reported that there is a "significant positive association" between the density of bone and silicon intake in men and in premenopausal women.

In addition, scientists at the University of Mons-Hainaut in Belgium have found that silicon is an essential component in bioactive glasses or materials used as bone substitutes upon which new bone can grow in humans with serious bone injury.

Although evidence is accumulating that shows an inadequate intake of silicon may contribute to the risk of osteoporosis and osteoarthritis, very little is known about its requirement.

A daily intake of 5 to 10 mg of highly absorbable silicon probably will be found adequate. Not all food silicon is highly absorbable so a higher intake than this is most likely desirable.

The richest sources of silicon are unrefined grains of high fiber content, cereal products and root vegetables.

Because it is made from grains, beer also is a dietary source of silicon."

( I thought many here might like that last statement ;-)

http://www.ars.usda.gov/News/docs.htm?docid=9264

Too much:

Morgellons ????!!!

"Toxicological pathology identification of tissue biopsies from an individual diagnosed with Morgellons revealed the presence of continual silica or glass tubules with the presence of silicone. (23)"

http://www.dldewey.com/morgel.htm

Above is a scarey wierd web site if true...notice I said IF.

" Fiberlike Si3N4 was prepared by the carbothermal reduction of diatomaceous earth in a flow of nitrogen and ammonia.

Diatomaceous earth, which is an inexpensive raw material, is composed of 82.5 wt% SiO2, 5.69 wt% Al2O3 , and a very small amount of metal oxides (K2O, CaO, and Fe2O3). Two types of fiberlike Si3N4 were obtained, short needlelike fiber and woollike fiber with Fe droplets at 1350�C."

?????????

Dunno...but I'd probably drink a beer instead.

P.S. Yes...absolutely do not breathe DE!

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Thanks, Marnie!

I'll drink a beer instead! [spinning smile]

SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
www.syclovir.com

I've taken it and it works well for some.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruth Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used it in my garden but have not tried it in my food. It works to keep the ants/earwigs under control. Farmers love to use it around chickens to deal with mites & flies.

I purchased a large sack of food grade DE. There are many different places to buy it from, but it is very expensive when sold in small amounts. but I believe the only food grade product they all repackage is the DIAFIL brand.

It is placed in graineries, mixed in with the grains to kill pests naturally so most grains have a small amount in them (so it may already be in the breads you eat, etc.) I bought 50 lbs from peacefulvalley.com for $20.

The food grade does not have the silica content... that is what makes it food grade. It is approved for use in our grains... we are probably already eating it.

It is used in by vets to deworm animals. Farmers use it in feed for their cattle, etc. for the same reason.

Some people also use it for the antiworm effect. I remembered reading about it on safe2use.com but when I looked today I couldn't find the reference. Only the external uses.

--------------------
When I lost my grip on Faith in the maze of illness,
Hope gently clasped my hand and led on.

RuthRuth

Posts: 478 | From California | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruth Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can read weird fiber/thread/nematode story that reminded me of the Morgellons stories here.

quote:
An unidentified organism, which is infesting more and more homes across the country. This particular creature apparently houses itself in lint-like fibers which it seems to weave into a tiny ball, like a nest or cocoon, and contacting human skin via floors or clothing, bores into human tissue to take up residence in the body.

--------------------

RuthRuth

Posts: 478 | From California | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foggy
Member # 1584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Foggy         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, in my swimming pool filter. It makes a mess but keeps the water nice & clean. Would would wonders for my GI system [Big Grin]
Posts: 2451 | From Lyme Central | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

Lots of information on food grade at herbalremedies.com.

And from this site:
quote:
Freshwater Diatomaceous Earth comes in at least three grades: Horticultural Grade, Pool Filter Grade and Food Grade.
:
Under NO circumstances use pool filter DE for anything except your swimming pool filter. It won't kill insects because it's been heat-treated (calcined) to form larger clumps.

--------------------

RuthRuth

Yashin
Member # 11159

sjforshen-thank you. but doesn't that earth seem a little different from diatomaceous earth? thank you for your information.

ruth-the web sites and info are great. I thought it was more of a colon cleanser but it looks like people use it for lots of different things.

i will keep lookiing it up. please let me know if others are successful or unsucessful with diatomaceous earth.

thank you
Yashin

bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I give it to my chickens and my dog when I think they might have parasites, especially when my dog has spent too much time at the dog park. Seems to help.

Gets rid of my garden snales, but also my ladybugs if I'm not careful.

I've taken it myself mixed with water, but I'm not convinced it was either a good or a bad thing.

I've Googled extensively to find any kind of research about it's use in humans. Haven't found any. There's just the one website mentioned above, but no research attached.

It's just too cheap and easy to get a hold of for anybody to waste their time and money to research about safety and efficacy.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farah
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farah   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have used food grade diatomaceous earth for my cat's giardia infection and diarrhea successfully.

Farah

Posts: 208 | From New Mexico | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

In order for it to be "food grade" it had to be approved by FDA somehow... or they couldn't put it into the grain to protect it during storage.

But you are right, can't find much online related to that. Every single site in the world has the key word "FDA" on it as part of their disclaimer so how do you find their own info on it with a search engine?

--------------------

RuthRuth

breathwork
Member # 567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for breathwork     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Wikipedia....

Diatomaceous earth (IPA: /?d???t??me???s ???(r)?/, also known as DE, diatomite, diahydro, kieselguhr, kieselgur and Celite) is a naturally occurring, soft, chalk-like sedimentary rock that is easily crumbled into a fine white to off-white powder.

This powder has an abrasive feel, similar to pumice powder, and is very light, due to its high porosity. The typical chemical composition of diatomaceous earth is 86% silica, 5% sodium, 3% magnesium and 2% iron.

Diatomaceous earth consists of fossilized remains of diatoms, a type of hard-shelled algae. It is used as a filtration aid, as a mild abrasive, as a mechanical insecticide, as an absorbent for liquids, as cat litter, as an activator in blood clotting studies, and as a component of dynamite. As it is also heat-resistant, it can be used as a thermal insulator.

From me, myself and I....

In it's itsy bitsy particle state it has very sharp edges..hence it is a swell method of killing slugs, snails and ants.

I use it in the garden, spreading a generous perimeter around the delicate plants...It slices their little bellies up and they die slwo agonizing deaths....

For a gardener who has had their garden decimated by these bugs, I have taken pleasure in this, even though it is a little creepy to admit.

Also, it's silca, not silcone dioxide. Big difference between the two. Sorry.

It must be replaced when it rains however. So, I don't know if it can act as an abrasive agent in the gut or if this aspect of it disappears after it is combined with water.

It sure is handy in the yard tho!

Carol Ann

Posts: 1062 | From CA USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Diatomaceous Earth. Diatomaceous earth (DE) is mined from the fossilized remains of diatoms, microscopic sea creatures.

It is composed of silicon dioxide (SiO2), the same composition of glass .

This substance is virtually non-toxic to humans. Because of its small particle size and porous nature, it has both an abrasive and absorptive quality.

Diatomaceous earth degrades the insects cuticle, the waxy layer protecting insects, causing the insect to dry out and die. Diatomaceous earth is formulated into two grades: swimming pool grade and food grade..."

http://www.ipmofalaska.com/files/DE.html

Silica is silicon dioxide (SiO2), commonly found in sand and quartz.
http://cti.itc.virginia.edu/~meg3c/ethics/cases/dcc/dccpart2.html

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sizzled
Member # 1357

Thank you all for the input and information!

I think I will hold off on ingesting this myself.

Something about,"little,tiny sharp projections piercing insects and causing them to die slow, agonizing deaths", doesn't sit quite well with me!

Maybe it dissolves in water (which is why you must re-apply in the garden after a rain?) or it just washes away.

I do know someone who told me she has had all negative fecal tests IN HER HORSES after using this but didn't say how long she had been dosing them.

Ivermectin might be a better alternative? [confused]

Yashin
Member # 11159

yes sizzles many people use this earth for thier animlas. to gain shinier hair, healthier eyes, and better overall health.
i was interested in seeing if many had applied this to humans.
ruth thank you. and all you are extremely helpful.

Yashin

IsThereHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6581

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IsThereHope         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm taking good food grade DE internally, good stuff
Posts: 121 | From Memphis, TN | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this gut feeling (pardon the pun) that DE would absorb toxic liver bile, similar to how chitosan works. No research or info on this whatsoever. Anyone have any personal experience with using it for such detox purposes?

BTW for whatever its worth, I ingested DE twice about a week before a fecal parasite test, and it came back completely clean of everything except strep. Could be more related to all the Artimisin I had taken as well.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ruth Ruth:

I purchased a large sack of food grade DE.

I bought 50 lbs from peacefulvalley.com for $20.

Here is a place to buy a smaller amount.

Revival Animal Health
Diatomaceous Earth
2.5 Lb for $11.99
4+ Lb for $7.99 each
http://revivalanimal.com/product.asp?pn=72-310&ss=diatomaceous

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DE is dead diatoms with very sharp edges that are suppose to slice up parasites, but it also has the ability to slice up your intestines in the same way. My Dr has warned me not to take it for any reason.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruth Ruth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11059

"Diatomaceous Earth is a fossilized deposit of microscopic shells created by one-celled plants called Diatoms. These plants inhabit all the waters of the earth, and serve as the basic food for aquatic life, just as grass is the basic food for land animals." reference

quote:
Safety of Diatomaceous Earth

Ingestion of diatomaceous earth is not toxic to mammals. Rats fed a daily diet containing 5% freshwater diatomaceous earth show no abnormalities after 90 days (Bertke 1964).

Dairy farms sometimes feed their animals food containing 1 to 2% diatomaceous earth to control worms and other internal parasites (Allen 1972).

Impoverished humans add "fossil flour" to their baked goods in order to stretch their flour supply (Cummins 1975).

It is so safe for use on food that the FDA has exempted diatomaceous earth from requirements of fixed residue levels when added to stored grain (Fed. Reg. 1961).

The U.S. EPA also allows its use in food storage and processing areas (Fed. Reg. 1981).

From The IPM Practitioner

Another important distinction about food-grade DE:
quote:
Make sure the DE you use is AMORPHOUS DIATOMACEOUS EARTH (ADE). In an article on DE in COMMON SENSE PEST CONTROL QUARTERLY, published by BIRC, Volume III, Number 1, Winter 1987, the matter of safety is explored. We quote:

Both swimming pool grade and natural diatomaceous earth come from the same fossil sources but they are processed differently. The natural grades are mined, dried, ground, sled and bagged. The pool grade is chemically treated and partially melted and consequently contains crystalline silica which can be a respiratory hazard. Thus, IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT ONLY NATURAL DIATOMACEOUS EARTH BE USED FOR INSECT CONTROL. This noncrystalline silica is not a hazard as the human body apparently can dissolve it.

Silicosis refers to lung contamination and irritation by crystalline of free silica (Si02). Crystalline describes the orientation of the Si02 molecules which occur in a fixed pattern in contrast to the non periodic, random molecular arrangement defined as amorphous. Exposure to free silica is an occupational hazard to workers.

From Safe2Use

--------------------

RuthRuth

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement