LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Pertussis-Whooping Cough...Could I have it?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pertussis-Whooping Cough...Could I have it?
wilsongal22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11210

Icon 5 posted      Profile for wilsongal22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, ok I was looking up something and found a medical dictionary with common stuff in it. I found Pertussis. It cought my eye as I was scrolling down because it said 'coughing'.

If you follow 'Christi's Story' then you probably have noticed that I have been coughing for quite some time now. It has been about 5 or 6 weeks. It said that it was characterized by coughing.

quote:
Giving your child cough medicine probably will not help, as even strong cough medicines usually can't relieve the coughing spells of whooping cough.

I have been taking Pseudo Max for about 2 weeks. And I still have some to go. So, far I have not noticed a change. It has gotten a little worse because I start coughing, can't quit, and eventually I gag and I can't stop coughing no matter how had I try.

It is also worse in the morning because my airway is not clean and I have cough a lot to clear it and I can feel and hear that I have stuff in my throat.

quote:
The first symptoms of whooping cough are similar to those of a common cold:

runny nose
sneezing
mild cough
low-grade fever

After about 1 to 2 weeks, the dry, irritating cough evolves into coughing spells. During a coughing spell, which can last for more than a minute, the child may turn red or purple.

Other than the low grade fever I have had all of the others. At first I just had a regular cough. But, now I if I start coughing I can't stop and I gag and turn really red.

I do have a runny nose and I have been sneezing more than usual. I am not sure if that counts because it is allergy season so...I am not sure about that. But, I have been coughing for a while now so...

Any comments?

Thanks in advance!

[ 28. March 2007, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: wilsongal22 ]

--------------------
Jesus sweated blood over the task that lay before Him.He could have escaped his brutal execution at anytime,but he didn't he stayed there for you.

God bless,Christi

Posts: 306 | From Alabama | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
k-lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for k-lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I couldn't tell you either way if you have it or not from what you describe, but if you think there is a good possiblity that you do have it, GET TO A DOCTOR ASAP. Whooping cough is extremely contagious and if you are a mother or live with other people you most certainly wouldn't want to pass it on to them.

Get to a doctor right away! Don't wait

Posts: 227 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilsongal22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilsongal22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yea, I agree. I am just more cautious now than I was before. I read that it was most contagious the first week or so of having it. When I first started coughing my little sister was also coughing. Hers only lasted about 2 or 3 weeks and went away on its own.

My little brother was also coughing, but he had a sinus infection and was taking medication and it also went away, but mine won't. I just figured I would ask to make sure. Just in case there could be a chance.

Thanks!

--------------------
Jesus sweated blood over the task that lay before Him.He could have escaped his brutal execution at anytime,but he didn't he stayed there for you.

God bless,Christi

Posts: 306 | From Alabama | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
k-lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5574

Icon 1 posted      Profile for k-lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'M SORRY! You're a kid too! I didn't realize. I'm 17 years old. I've been dealing with all of this crap since I was 13 years old, so I unfortunately have some experience. Email me @ [email protected] or PM me and we can talk. Its tough dealing with all of this, so don't hesitate to email me and ask questions.

Take care,
K-lyme

Posts: 227 | From CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilsongal22
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilsongal22     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, that's ok. I get that a lot on here!

Thanks!

--------------------

God bless,Christi

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement