LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Air Hunger?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Air Hunger?
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Took my first pill of Amoxycillan last night at 9:00 p.m. Woke at 1 a.m. with sleep apnea breathlessness.

I have a little herx going on and feel breathy and in need of reminding myself to breath. I can't tell if it is the old Air Hunger rearing its head or a reaction to the Amoxy.

I've had Gerd-ish indigestion for a couple of days, so that may be part of the picture too.

I'm always nervous about starting new abx... especially with air hunger symptoms coming back in...

Any suggestions?

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaliforniaLyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 7136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CaliforniaLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B R E A T H E * ! )! !*()!*)!

deeply*)!*)! Sounds like Babs reaction to me.
I always associate air hunger with Babs- def
sounds like you are Herxing-

--------------------
There is no wealth but life.
-John Ruskin

All truth goes through 3 stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer

Posts: 5639 | From Aptos CA USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep- Babs-
Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisianthus
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6631

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisianthus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second the vote on Babs (or third it by now [Big Grin] )

Babesia symptom list.

20. What signs and symptoms would lead a doctor to suspect a Babesia infection in a patient? How many strains of Babesiosis have been identified and how many are commonly tested for in commercial labs?

The following signs/symptoms may be present in those infected with Babesiosis:

Fatigue*
Arthralgias* (aching joints)
Myalgia* (muscle pain)
Drenching sweats*
Headaches*
Emotional lability*
Depression*
Dark urine*
Splenomegaly* (enlarged spleen)
Dizziness*
Nausea and vomiting*
Cough*
Dyspnea* (difficulty breathing)
Fever*
Chills*
Hepatosplenomegaly* (enlarged liver)
Jaundice*
Malaise*
Shortness of breath*
Bleeding tendencies,
bruising*
Thrombocytopenia* (low platelets in the blood)
Hemoglobinuria* (red cell breakdown, with release of hemoglobin in the urine)
Hyperesthesia* (over sensitivity to touch)
Pulmonary edema* (fluid accumulation, swelling in the lungs)
Encephalopathy* (alters brain function)
Low to normal range leukocyte counts*
Possible elevated levels of dehydrogenase, bilirubin,
transaminase*
Anorexia*

Approximately 25%- 66% of Babesia patients are known to be co-infected with Lyme disease. These symptoms may continue for long periods of time, decrease, then return. A low Babesiosis titer (IgG) often indicates a chronic infection.

An acute or current infection may show a higher reading on the IgM test initially. There are over 100 species of Babesia in the United States but only ONE or TWO species are currently checked by commercial labs.

Lisi

[ 09. April 2007, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Lisianthus ]

--------------------
yahoo 360 http://360.yahoo.com/my_profile-UqSNGiA9crUMRW.lFNGN5Jk-?cq=1

Posts: 986 | From Michigan | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rmruss
Member # 11409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rmruss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same problem. It didn't go away until after my babesia was treated (and cured, I hope).

Whenever this happened to me at night, I would open my bedroom window and take deep breaths of fresh air.....It seemed to help.

I hope that you feel better soon. I know how frightening this symptom can be.

Posts: 45 | From Medford, NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wiserforit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
California, groovy2, Lisi, rmruss,

Thank you for replying!

I hate air hunger and no matter how often it resurfaces, I'm no braver. Might have a smidgen more of grace...

Today I took my kids for a walk outside to see if I could breath better -- it helped a lot.

Now, if only I could sleep without waking up gasping for air and panicky!

Does sleep apnea hold hands with air hunger? They are quite a pair!

Tried to start malerone first and then add amoxy, but LLMD switched it when he saw my other symptoms returning so quickly.

Now I'm creeping along with amoxy with malarone waiting in the wings.

It will be the first time Babs is addressed and I really want to kick butt!

Thanks for your Babs & Breath concensus, All...

Best,

wiserforit

Posts: 508 | From Banks of the Hudson | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Wiser!

I hope you are well.

Sorry to hear about the difficulty breathing. I have had that for a long time too.

Air hunger is a strange phrase that I am not familiar with.

In my community, we call it ASTHMA when a person has difficulty breathing, esp at night.

And so, I have been diagnosed with asthma for many
years now!

Imagine my surprise when after about 3-4 difficult weeks
on malarone, it seems like my asthma has DISAPPEARED!

About starting malarone:

The last 5 weeks on malarone have not been easy.
I was increasing amoxy at the same time, and having
my butt kicked.

So when you say "butt kicked", hopefully you will not have
the challenging time that Trueblue and I have had with the
amoxy & malarone combo.

It almost seems to me that the malarone and amoxy have
a synergistic impact, making me feel worse.

But, I am finding that as I continue to take malarone daily,
the side effects are diminishing somewhat.

So that is the good news. But maybe I hope you will
not have the same problems.

But if you want to feel better with babs symptoms --
start the malarone when you can!

It is a miracle to have my 'asthma' disappear so suddenly.
I guess I really have had a little protozoa afflicting me
all these years. I do not know what else I can attribute
this miracle cure from asthma from after having
difficulty breathing for years.

Take good care and remember to take lots of probiotics
with amoxy!

Yours, VL

[hi]

PS: If you cannot start the malarone yet, then you can
always go to a pulmonologist and get an emergency
inhaler (albuterol). It is scary not to be able to breathe,
and you may want to treat the symptoms until you can
go after the cure....

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Hail Vermont!

Wow! you are trail-blazing with the malarone/amoxy machete!

I'm scared...

The malarone by itself depressed the bejeebers out of me. I was hoping the amoxy would give me a foothold eventually so that I could add the malerone.

Guess slow and steady wins the race?

Thanks so much for writing back. I am sending you fond wishes for a Babs butt-kicking she (Babs) has never seen (and one you will not be depleted by).

Hope to be able to join those ranks soon.

Best O'Best

wiserforit

Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, exactly, that is the problem --

Malarone has made me feel VERY depressed!

Dizzy too, sometimes I have to hold onto walls
when I walk. But not all the time [Smile]

Yes, I think that malarone must affect neurotransmitters...
so since it is taking many weeks to adjust to it, then
it probably will be a bear to wean off this stuff
eventually too.

But it is DEFINITELY getting easier to take malarone
after 6 weeks on it, so hang in there!

Wiser, I guess our health is worth it. I am taking it
day by day and it is amazing that I have remained
compliant with taking malarone, given how I feel
on it.

Many thanks for your good wishes!

Just one day at a time --

I have had to drop some of my work, reluctantly.

Yes, slow & steady wins. Take good care and enjoy
the beautiful spring!

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trueblue
Member # 7348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trueblue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi wiser,
Do you usally have apnea? I would think this would increase it. Bizarrely, apnea is one of the things I don't have, go figure. I do have air-hunger at weird times and moreso at night and sometimes all day with SOB.

I'm going for the slow and steady thing and hoping it does the trick.

I started on Malarone first and was able to tolerate it, fairly well. Adding the amoxy seemed to multiply the Malrone's effect exponentially. (as VT already mentioned)

I've just added Artemisinin to the mix a few weeks ago and am attributing the depression to that and the full moon the past few days.

I'm having trouble deciding if the Babs (non)herx, ha, is too much or if it'll pass at this point.

Hang in there kiddos we can do this! *nods*

I am on baby doses compared to most others. Vermont is much tougher than me. I'm staying consistant on the Malarone but going up and down with the Amoxy a little to cope.

--------------------
more light, more love
more truth and more innovation

Posts: 3783 | From somewhere other than here | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the apena thing also-
It has mostly stopped after treatment-
Yep --Scary-- Jay

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wiserforit
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9732

Trueblue and groovy,

Thanks for your kind replies!

Yes, apnea entered my life when the Lyme got bad. Started out gasping for air when I fell asleep lying on my back. Now it happens on my side as well. Kind of like I was holding my breath without knowing it.

Apnea improved during Rocephin and Zithromax periods. I almost forgot that I had ever dealt with it until the Amoxy.

Now the Air Hunger when I'm awake. Oi.

I'm hoping the Amoxy will get a working chance, but my gut is not behaving either. Oi. Oi.

I know Malerone is in my future, but I can only take Amoxy babysteps right now.

In the meantime, I raise the glass to Kefir, Greek Yogurt and Acidophilus -- the Three Muskateers of the Gastrointestinal world!

And so it goes.

Thanks for touching base with me; I have a feeling we'll be sharing and comparing quite a bit in months to come!

I wish you intestinal fortitude, uninterrupted sleep and sustaining breath,

wiserforit

5dana8
Member # 7935

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5dana8   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, It is one of the Babs symptoms.

Some people have found some relief till their treatment for babs was complete with a salt pipe.

here's the link:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=039763

hope you can feel better soon [group hug]
dana

*not medical advise...just my 2 cents

--------------------
5dana8

Posts: 4432 | From some where over the rainbow | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe sleep apnea and air hunger are different. Sleep apnea happens while asleep and is mostly caused by a collapse of the airway. It is diagnosed as obstructive sleep apnea. Most people, including myself have that kind. There is also central sleep apnea which is caused by the brain forgetting to breath.

Sleep apnea of either kind is dangerous if left untreated. Someone I know said that a co-worker died last week because he took a nap without his machine. According to my doctor, there is a 400% increased chance that you will have a stroke if you have untreated sleep apnea. You may not know that you stop breathing during the night. Many people with sleep apnea stop breathing hundreds of times during the night but are only aware of it a fraction of that or not at all so just because you are not aware of it, does not mean that you are OK. IF you are aware of it, then you need to get to your doctor and get it treated.

Untreated sleep apnea can cause all kinds of problems with hormones, fluid retention, diabetes, weight gain, depression, muscle soreness and probably other things. It hasn't been studied all that long. It seems to be quite disruptive to the body.

Air hunger for me feels like I am breathing fine but I cannot get enough oxygen no matter how deeply I breath. It seems to be connected to acetyl choline and the adrenals for me. I used to have it terribly bad. I use muscle testing and found that seriphos got rid of it. Then when I started treatment for lyme it came back. I added Huperzine A and that took care of it for months until I started treatment for babs. I then added choline and it is under control again. I'm on malarone now so hopefully I can get rid of the choline and other supplements eventually but I don't mind taking supplements in the meantime because I hate feeling like I can't get enough oxygen.

I hope you find something that works for you.

Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cantgiveupyet
Member # 8165

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cantgiveupyet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had this while on doxy real bad. i would wake up with chest pressure and couldnt breathe had sweats too.

i honestly thought i was dying. It got a bit better after I switched to a different abx.

I would open my window in the cold of winter and just breathe and pray of course.

Hang in there.

--------------------
"Say it straight simple and with a smile."

"Thus the task is, not so much to see what no one has seen yet,
But to think what nobody has thought yet, About what everybody sees."

-Schopenhauer

pos babs, bart, igenex WB igm/igg

Posts: 3156 | From Lyme limbo | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get air hunger, but not sleep apnea. Sometimes it's harder to breathe when I'm laying down.

I was tested for asthma because of my difficulty breathing, and all the tests came out normal. This was before I knew I had Lyme and babs.

I've been on Mepron (and other things), and I get that dizziness. I get one of my kids to help me walk when that happens.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement